New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Drives: 2017 M2

People who have, or have had jobs that require travel...

I am currently looking at new career opportunities in the tech sector, and have a few interviews in the next week. All the jobs require anywhere from 25-40% travel, and would be mostly international (Asia).

I am currently 28, married, and have no kids. The positions would be a significant pay increase (up to 70-80%), and would give me more flexibility in job options at other tech companies. From what I can tell, the trips would be slightly longer, so a couple weeks instead of being gone every week. They would also require relocation to the Bay area, which I wouldn't mind as it rained 27 days in October in the PNW.

My question to you guys that travel for work is, is it worth it? I will say for sure, that I wouldn't want to travel 40% for more than a couple years. At the end of the day, this will be a discussion with my wife, but I'd like to get some more insight from people that have been there. Specific questions I should be asking the team during the interviews would be helpful as well.

I'm sure there has been a thread about this before, but I can't find any, and don't really care.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

I know your pretty newly married but being gone some is rough but also keeps things from being as stale in the marriage. As long as your not wandering and she isn't and are secure about that sort of prospect.
Appreciate 2
EstorilM367.00
nyalpine907425.00
      11-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: X5 35d

I worked in a high tech company before that required %50 travel. I enjoyed the first year I had the job then I started hating it due to travel. Many people specially who have families don't like travelling for work and especially for long period of time

Now I wouldnt acceept any offer with more than %10 travel.
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      11-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Travel is a mixed bag. My wife worked for fortune 500 companies and travel was a given with her, Europe, South America the US etc. So when I started to travel she was cool with it, I think different folks handle it differently and you both have to be cool with it. My travel took me to remote fly in communities in the sub arctic, so not very sexy but very interesting.
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      11-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: geo metro

Ask if your wife would be able to visit you when you travel on their dime. This may be a moot point though if your wife doesn't have much time off to take.

I was a strategy consultant for ~6 years and traveled 90-100% of the time. About a month ago I finally made the jump to corporate (virtually no travel). However, my thoughts on travel changed drastically as I got older. when I was 22-25 I was single, little responsibilities, and cherished every moment I could travel for work. When I began seriously dating and eventually got engaged/married, travelling became a pain. Of course the hotel points and flyer miles were a nice perk but eventually I valued time at home.

Travelling for multiple weeks at a time is a double edged sword. You don't feel like your living on a plane (as you might feel travelling m-th/m-f) but at the same time you have a feeling of guilt for leaving your wife at home and feel detached.
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      11-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

I appreciate the feedback thus far. I'd say 40% is pushing it for me, but the experience would be huge.

Definitely going to ask if my wife could come every once an while/take vacation on the tail end of a trip and then fly back.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Drives: a bicycle

Does the income allow for your wife to not work and travel with you?
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      11-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Hell yes it's worth it. I worked a ton of shit jobs in the military to be able to travel all over the world and it was incredible. You're going to make bank while getting to see the world? That's a no brainer to me. You only live once.
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      11-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I travel about 35% of the time but it is almost always Monday-Friday. If the opportunity is a good one (pay, future opportunities), she is ok with it, commit to a year and if things don't go well look for something else. My guess is the year committed will provide you with a lot of options for the future.

Another thing, most people I know that do international travel also get extra free time, basically not getting back on Thursday night and going to work on Friday (or similar).

Married with no kids is the time to do something like this if you are interested.

Also, 25% to 40% is reasonable, basically 1-2 weeks per month.
      11-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #10
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Does the income allow for your wife to not work and travel with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
Hell yes it's worth it. I worked a ton of shit jobs in the military to be able to travel all over the world and it was incredible. You're going to make bank while getting to see the world? That's a no brainer to me. You only live once.
Couple things on these points. While it is quite a bit of money compared to my current job, I will also be living in the Bay area, which means "bank" is an absurd amount of money.

As far as making enough to have the wife not work...I would say technically, yes, but I think she would want to work a job that had a flexible enough schedule to be able to do that. She is a nanny right now, and has a great schedule. She could do the same down there, and I don't think it would be too big of a problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I travel about 35% of the time but it is almost always Monday-Friday. If the opportunity is a good one (pay, future opportunities), she is ok with it, commit to a year and if things don't go well look for something else. My guess is the year committed will provide you with a lot of options for the future.

Another thing, most people I know that do international travel also get extra free time, basically not getting back on Thursday night and going to work on Friday (or similar).

Married with no kids is the time to do something like this if you are interested.

Also, 25% to 40% is reasonable, basically 1-2 weeks per month.
Good to know. I will have to ask in general how employees in the group keep a work/life balance. Perhaps they have free time as well.

I think she is on the fence. Mostly because we will be in a new area, without all of our current friends and family. I was considering having something like a one year commitment, and if I hated it, look for something else in the area. Just having the name on my resume will open a lot of doors.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep

Drives: 2016 M4

My job requires 25-30 trips per year, mostly day trips or over nighters. I have two kids that are 13 and 16, and we make it work as a family. Little things like if I can swing a later flight in the morning I will drop off the kids on way to airport, etc...I say go for it!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep

Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

Dude, you are only 28, if you can get to travel the world at company expense and your wife is Ok with it, go all for it. Imagine this, anytime you travel, its a 50% off deal, considering your wife is travelling with you, since you are only buying one ticket and your miles and hotel points will eventually be getting you free rooms/ upgrades anyway.

You need to make sure though that your wife is cool with it, if she resents it then imo no amount of money can make up for those relationship troubles, Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
If you are away from your woman for extended periods of time then you are doing her a disservice. That's about it right there. Take the money and lose her.... or take her with you... or stay home.

After almost 20 years of that lifestyle I have to say it would take godlike efforts to keep the spark alive.
I'd argue the opposite, a little time away can keep the spark going.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd argue the opposite, a little time away can keep the spark going.
It really depends on his wife's personality. It can make or break a relationship.

If the wife is able to go with you from time to time (meaning your work trip also allows for some free time), that will help. My SO went w/ me to Vegas once on one of my trips, but I worked long days so we really didn't get to spend much time together. She just worked remotely most of the time.

Figure out if the type of thing you will be doing for work on travel is something you'd like to be doing for approx 2.5-5 months out of the year. Likewise if the hours expected of you will be absurd or not. Traveling on the higher end of that will get old pretty quick, IMO.
      11-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #16
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Jet Black E90

I commute into NYC for work. That in itself, is a job. I dread it. Good luck OP. Traveling is not for me.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #17
Kenny's X5
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: X5

Like most posts say, if you can get your wife to go with you at times then Yes, take the position. If not, keep your current job or a higher paying job nearby.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #18
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

Can you do it for a year, get settled in and then switch to a job that doesn't require traveling (assuming traveling causes too much trouble)?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 11:05 PM   #19
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Can you do it for a year, get settled in and then switch to a job that doesn't require traveling (assuming traveling causes too much trouble)?
I think this would be my backup plan. I don't think I'd want to do it for more than a couple years regardless.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #20
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Sounds like I need to make sure my wife is able to come from time to time.

Also, I want to figure out how much you are actually "working" while traveling. I can imagine it can get carried away.
Luckily I found someone that was just recently in one of the groups I'm interviewing for, and they are willing to talk about their experience tomorrow. It will be nice having an unbiased source.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #21
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM View Post
I think this would be my backup plan. I don't think I'd want to do it for more than a couple years regardless.
Sounds like a good plan to me. I think you will be fine. Don't know what you do but Bay Area is a mecca for tech jobs.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #22
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM View Post
Sounds like I need to make sure my wife is able to come from time to time.

Also, I want to figure out how much you are actually "working" while traveling. I can imagine it can get carried away.
Luckily I found someone that was just recently in one of the groups I'm interviewing for, and they are willing to talk about their experience tomorrow. It will be nice having an unbiased source.
You have to be absolutely sure you can take time to explore places when you travel. Oftentimes people travel for work and barely have time to do anything else besides work.
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00