New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

02-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Best way to clean a lense

I discovered this is the best way to clean a lense safely. It works well for larger lenses and I just tried it for my Canon Powershot G6. First of all, your mouth has to be clean, so brush and rinse. Before the cleaning the lense, make sure there are no debris on the lense itself. If you see debris on the lense, remove it by lense blower. If you don't have a lense blower, you can use a piece of folded piece of paper and fan directly at the lense itself. Let's start the actual cleaning process. You'll have to breath heavily on the lense a few times - 3 times is good. Take a piece of clean paper towel like bounty and carefully wipe the lense with very little pressure. Breath heavily again, and use a clean part of the towel and wipe. You might have to do one more time, it depends how dirty your lense is. You'll find that this process really cleans very well. This is the first time I tried this and I was told that this is how some of the pros clean their lenses.

I recommend this technique only if you have a smudge on the lense itself. If you have some dust, just use a dust blower or folded paper and just fan the dust away. If your lense looks clean, don't clean the lense because you make risk scratching the lense that doesn't really need cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: The Above

I'm not into cameras or even lenses but using bounty or similar can't be good for the lense surely?

I put swirl marks all over the plastic face of my dials in my old car using a piece of kitchen paper to clean it.

I'm sure using a super soft microfiber cloth would be much better.

Even without any cleaning fluid these things are awesome at removing smudge marks etc.

I have to break one out every time my nephew visits and decides he wants to touch my plasma tv screen with his little fingers.

Someone correct me if im wrong. As I said. I know very little about lenses.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
I discovered this is the best way to clean a lense safely. It works well for larger lenses and I just tried it for my Canon Powershot G6. First of all, your mouth has to be clean, so brush and rinse. Before the cleaning the lense, make sure there are no debris on the lense itself. If you see debris on the lense, remove it by lense blower. If you don't have a lense blower, you can use a piece of folded piece of paper and fan directly at the lense itself. Let's start the actual cleaning process. You'll have to breath heavily on the lense a few times - 3 times is good. Take a piece of clean paper towel like bounty and carefully wipe the lense with very little pressure. Breath heavily again, and use a clean part of the towel and wipe. You might have to do one more time, it depends how dirty your lense is. You'll find that this process really cleans very well. This is the first time I tried this and I was told that this is how some of the pros clean their lenses.

I recommend this technique only if you have a smudge on the lense itself. If you have some dust, just use a dust blower or folded paper and just fan the dust away. If your lense looks clean, don't clean the lense because you make risk scratching the lense that doesn't really need cleaning.
NEVER touch your lens with something made from a plant. Only use a clean microfiber cloth.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: The Above

Yeah thats what i thought. I think whoever gave him this idea was trying to sabotage his lense

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

When I tried my method on my lense, it caused no swirl marks and scratches. The towel I used wasn't Bounty, but it looks like Bounty, very soft stuff. I even use that stuff to clean my eyeglasses and it works very well.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
When I tried my method on my lense, it caused no swirl marks and scratches. The towel I used wasn't Bounty, but it looks like Bounty, very soft stuff. I even use that stuff to clean my eyeglasses and it works very well.
i use windex on my glasses LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
i use windex on my glasses LOL
Not on your lenses I hope???

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Anything made from trees or plants (paper towels, cotton cloths) will have abrasive elements in them. They can be very fine and imperceptable to us, but they are there and over time will damage your lenses. While glass is very hard, and generally resistive to minor scratching, the coatings on your elements are not as hard or durable, and are susceptible to harsh cleaners (windex) or organic-based cloths. I good microfiber towel is all you should ever need.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I discovered that microfiber towel does a crappy job cleaning a smudged up lense. I prefer not to use ones that are treated with some type of chemical cleaner because it can damage the coating. The most important thing is, remove all debris by using a air blower before cleaning the lense. Debris is what causes the major scratches. Use common sense, test out the towel on some eyeglasses or some old lenses. Don't use tap water because it contains small particles of minerals. I just breath on the lense and wipe it off with a soft paper towel. It works very well.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Not on your lenses I hope???
yeah but i wait for it to dry out after ive wiped them down cause before my eyes used to sting if i put them on immediately after
Appreciate 0