New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #45
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Exact same thought here, you don't have to like it but you do see how it stands apart on the road. They had the courage to make something radically different and should be commended for it.

I think that if the car was the same and it had this grille on it, people would take more to the idea.

That still doesn't fix this ugly backside:

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #46
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 ANdy View Post
i used to think the acura TL was ugly, but i think its grown on me. It looks like a concept car from 2020

however I still dont like the ford.. regardless of how many times i look at it.
I hate to say it but the TL front grew on me too. I dont know why but I like looking at them now. Maybe they knew that would happen....
      09-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #47
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: Slow

TL doesn't look good but it looks interesting which is different from other car's standard looking.
and this is probably the most beautiful Ford I have ever seen, but it's just hard to convince me to pay that much for a Ford even it's got lots of good stuff.

I'd probably still get the TL since my previous acura(s) never cost me any problem at all.
      09-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #48
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Ford is as ugly inside as the Acura is outside. Add to it that the Acura comes standard with more tech goodies and the AWD system is the most advanced on the market and the Ac wins hands down. You can paint a Ford any color you want, it's still a Ford..
That was an extremely ignorant statement but what did I expect from a BMW owner right?

Standard with more tech goodies?

Response: ZOMFGGGGG NO IPOD CONNECT ZOMG

AWD system is the most advanced on the market?

Response: So fucking what? You're still going to get passed in snow by a Civic with Blizzaks and you're still going to get stuck in the deep stuff...

You can paint a Ford any color you want, it's still a Ford...

Response: Ford has made some of the most epic vehicles in existance... sure some bad ones but what is Acuras claim to fame besides reliability, FWD cars and boring shit? Oh and now horrible design...

The NSX which is arguably one of the most overpriced cars in its class...

Ford:

Ford GT... needs no intro
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra...
Ford F-150 (the best selling vehicle ever... outsold anything Toyota, Honda etc worldwide)
Ford Mustang (64+) the worlds best selling Pony car to include the Shelby GT350 and GT500 Mustangs, Boss 302 and 429's, Mach 1 mustangs... I could go on.

Get off your high fucking brand whore horse and seek counseling for the seriously low security level problems you are having... Let me guess, you really believe that BMW are the best at everything too right?

Are you the fool that would rather spend $20,000 extra on a vehicle because of the brand name? Wait don't answer that twice...
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #49
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
Standard with more tech goodies?

Response: ZOMFGGGGG NO IPOD CONNECT ZOMG
Are you judging the entire package because of the lack of support for a media device (available optionally)?

Quote:
AWD system is the most advanced on the market?

Response: So fucking what? You're still going to get passed in snow by a Civic with Blizzaks and you're still going to get stuck in the deep stuff...
So, the SH-AWD system is only beneficial in the snow?

You haven't heard of the TL SH-AWD 6MT spanking a 335i and an old S4 on the track, have you?
Quote:
You can paint a Ford any color you want, it's still a Ford...

Response: Ford has made some of the most epic vehicles in existance... sure some bad ones but what is Acuras claim to fame besides reliability, FWD cars and boring shit? Oh and now horrible design...

The NSX which is arguably one of the most overpriced cars in its class...

Ford:

Ford GT... needs no intro
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra...
Ford F-150 (the best selling vehicle ever... outsold anything Toyota, Honda etc worldwide)
Ford Mustang (64+) the worlds best selling Pony car to include the Shelby GT350 and GT500 Mustangs, Boss 302 and 429's, Mach 1 mustangs... I could go on.
The Acura is a Honda, one of the most ethical and relevant companies in the automotive universe. Not someone you saw going cap in hand to Congress and then being refused.

The Corolla nukes the Ford pickup in overall sales by 5 million.

The Ford GT has nothing to do with Ford themselves, unlike the homegrown NSX.

Nobody cares about the "Pony" car except people in America, which is fast becoming irrelevant.

Honda makes the most internal combustion engines and stuff like Jets, Robots, motorcycles and boats. Ford is (i repeat) a company that mortgaged itself to stay alive and still makes absolute rubbish.

Quote:
Get off your high fucking brand whore horse and seek counseling for the seriously low security level problems you are having... Let me guess, you really believe that BMW are the best at everything too right?

Are you the fool that would rather spend $20,000 extra on a vehicle because of the brand name? Wait don't answer that twice...
Did the Ford whatever cost $20,000 less that the TL?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #50
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=blue2fire;5894800]

You haven't heard of the TL SH-AWD 6MT spanking a 335i and an old S4 on the track, have you?

The Acura is a Honda, one of the most ethical and relevant companies in the automotive universe. Not someone you saw going cap in hand to Congress and then being refused.

[QUOTE]

TL SH - AWD 6 MT spanking a 335i and an "old s4"... you really think that's a special attribute? An LS1 F-Body also spanked the shit out of an s2000 in the Road and Track track challenge... If you are buying a TL with track this and track that in mind you're already high...

ZOMG IT BEAT A 335i and an old S4?

Would you really like the list of cars that could completely TROMP a 335i or an old S4? Really?

OMG THE COMPANY MAKES JET ENGINES??!??!!?

They also make some of the most boring cars on the planet...

ZOMG it mortgaged off itself to stay alive? Are you buying a car or buying fucking stock in the company that makes it?

General motors was in the same boat...

AND GUESS WHAT! THEY MAKE THESE! The C6 ZR-1

and they make these! C6 ZO6

and these! G8 GXP

Oh and this too which was umm... Car of the year? Cadillac CTS???

Ohhhhh and oneee moreee 2009 CTS-V?

JUST BECAUSE A CAR COMPANY DOES BUSINESS POORLY AND MAKES CRAP INTERIORS AND SOME CARS THAT SUCK DOESN'T MEAN THEY DON'T MAKE SOME GREAT CARS! Captain IDIOT! JUST LIKE A COMPANY THAT HAS A GREAT AND WELL ROUNDED BUSINESS REPUTATION MAKING SOME CARS THAT SUCK... KIND OF LIKE WHEN A REALLY GOOD TEAM LOSES TO A REALLY BAD TEAM! THE GOOD TEAM WON 12 of 13... but LOST TO ONE
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #51
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

JUST BECAUSE A CAR COMPANY DOES BUSINESS POORLY AND MAKES CRAP INTERIORS AND SOME CARS THAT SUCK DOESN'T MEAN THEY DON'T MAKE SOME GREAT CARS! Captain IDIOT! JUST LIKE A COMPANY THAT HAS A GREAT AND WELL ROUNDED BUSINESS REPUTATION MAKING SOME CARS THAT SUCK... KIND OF LIKE WHEN A REALLY GOOD TEAM LOSES TO A REALLY BAD TEAM! THE GOOD TEAM WON 12 of 13... but LOST TO ONE
Just to toss my thoughts in the pot...

Yes, Acura is making rather ugly boring cars, but they are still of superior quality and other then enthusiasts like us will be picky about that. Overall they still sell, even though their ugly as sin which as of now is basically their only fault.

Ford on the other hand makes 98% crap, interior/exterior doesn't matter. They may make a couple specialty cars that are good but then the price tag quickly hits $50k or higher taking the car far out of the price range for a majority of people. Ford still has a laundry list of issues which they are slowly addressing but their image as a quality brand has greatly diminished and will take a loooong time to get that turned around.

Also with both cars sitting at $38k, neither would get my money. My personal preference would likely steer me to a lightly equipped 328xi, A4, C-Class, CTS or a well optioned Jetta GLI, Passat. I would maybe go look at a TL or TSX even, but I wouldn't even step foot in a Ford showroom. Not because of my dislike of the American brand but because they are still scrambling to get a hold of their company and who knows what issues these new cars their pumping out as a "savior" for their brand will have.

Just because Ford or GM can make 1 good car every 5 years will never bring them back to what they used to be. Their pricing is also putting them into BMW, Audi, Merc, Lexus, Acura, Jaguar and Saab territory. With how us Americans love to be brand whores and with a Taurus sniffing $40k people WILL look elsewhere.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #52
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If someone is so picky about pricing, then don't buy it brand new if you're going to bitch about pricing territory when you KNOW it will depreciate. Buy it a year older. If you have enough money to not care, then you probably are not picky about what pricing is like compared to this or that, you will just buy it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #53
graider
Colonel
Rep

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

I still take the TL. it looks decent in real life.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #54
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
TL SH - AWD 6 MT spanking a 335i and an "old s4"... you really think that's a special attribute? An LS1 F-Body also spanked the shit out of an s2000 in the Road and Track track challenge... If you are buying a TL with track this and track that in mind you're already high...

ZOMG IT BEAT A 335i and an old S4?

Would you really like the list of cars that could completely TROMP a 335i or an old S4? Really?
The cars you talk about cost much more.

Quote:

OMG THE COMPANY MAKES JET ENGINES??!??!!?

They also make some of the most boring cars on the planet...

ZOMG it mortgaged off itself to stay alive? Are you buying a car or buying fucking stock in the company that makes it?
Iam also buying the image, this is one of failure and Pinto.

Quote:
General motors was in the same boat...

AND GUESS WHAT! THEY MAKE THESE! The C6 ZR-1

and they make these! C6 ZO6

and these! G8 GXP

Oh and this too which was umm... Car of the year? Cadillac CTS???

Ohhhhh and oneee moreee 2009 CTS-V?
All of these cars and stuff like Malibu still couldn't save GM. So, fail anyway.

Quote:

For these guys, making good cars is the exception rather than the rule. Making that "Good Team" rubbish completely out of place here.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #55
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Cars

i agree with blue2fire ^

this thread needs to be
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #56
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The cars you talk about cost much more.
It doesn't matter if they cost more than a TL, they aren't being compared to... The companies as a whole are.

They are all VERY good and for the price they completely tromp the competition.

The point being, just because a company sucks at a lot of things doesn't mean they aren't very good at certain things. It may not be linear but who cares, unless you're a brand whore.

The SHO has a big advantage in this comparision... and that is the projected depreciation which makes this car MUCH more appealing in the used car market which happens to rule over brand new.

By rule I mean, it's only brand new until driven off the lot and considering cars last for years, years and tons of thousands of miles thats what should matter.

If someone is going to complain about a price of a NEW car and preach value this and smart buys that then he shouldn't be buying something BRAND spanking new anyways when he could save $5-10,000 buying barely used.

If someone doesn't care about pricing, then pricing becomes irrelivent and they will buy what they want anyways. But unless someone IS one of those people, they need not bitch about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #57
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Pricing is a big deal, new or used. Everyone shops for the best deal.

If you want to use the if price were irrelevant argument then no one would be buying the Ford. If 100 people were given $40k to spend on any car they want, I would bet highly that maybe MAYBE 1 or 2 people actually went out and spent that $40k on the SHO.

I'm just saying since price is near equal for both and a ton of other great cars fall in that range as well the SHO no longer looks as appealing. And yeah, prolly 95% of car buyers shop with a budget in mind new or used.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #58
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Pricing is a big deal, new or used. Everyone shops for the best deal.

If you want to use the if price were irrelevant argument then no one would be buying the Ford. If 100 people were given $40k to spend on any car they want, I would bet highly that maybe MAYBE 1 or 2 people actually went out and spent that $40k on the SHO.

I'm just saying since price is near equal for both and a ton of other great cars fall in that range as well the SHO no longer looks as appealing. And yeah, prolly 95% of car buyers shop with a budget in mind new or used.
And I'm saying once they both have a year or two under their belts the SHO becomes even MORE appealing because of its depreciation...

Good for bargain shoppers, bad for new car buyers... but when is buying a brand new car EVER smart when you're trying to watch your wallet?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #59
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
It's never "smart" to buy new. I would still have a hard time buying a used SHO even if it were to depreciate to say $25k after 2 years.

I guess I'm more a new car buyer anyways. I like getting a car with exactly what I want w/o the hassle of not knowing exactly what happened to the car prior to me buying it.

So far I've bought 2 cars used and 2 cars new. 1 car that was used I ended up fixing it so much I should have bought new. The other car was a better deal of course. 1 new car was leased the other was purchased. I'll be buying the next car we get new as well in 3 or so years. We wanna do Euro Delivery, last I checked there are no used cars with that offer

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #60
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
The SHO has a big advantage in this comparision... and that is the projected depreciation which makes this car MUCH more appealing in the used car market which happens to rule over brand new.
are you seriously using its high level of depreciation as a positive?

the reason it depreciates at such a precipitous rate, is because its junk, and nobody is willing to pay much for it used.

are you 12?
      09-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #61
jreich
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: montego blue 335 coupe MT

I'vw owned two SHO's a 93 MTX and now my daily driver currently is a 95 ATX. Yamaha made a wonderful engine in the 89-95 SHO's. I know that engine in and out. I even have the ford service tools for the engine. My 93 MTX had 190k miles on it before some dumbass pulled out in front of me and I lost her. The 5spd got almost 30 MPG on the highway with the 220hp stock yamaha engine. I looked into getting the new SHO, but they didnt make it in a manual and I wasnt too found of the AWD even though its the same system in the AWD AUDI's. Now if the engine was still a yamaha, i'd probably would have got that instead of my 335i. I think the interior and user features in the new SHO surpasses the 3 series by far. Microsoft sync with the navi is 10X better than the idrive. Ford has come a long way the last couple of years and so far I think makes much more reliable vehicles than bmw. I have 20k on my 335i and have a list of shit thats going wrong with it including weak ebrake, exhaust flapper going out, side mirror stopped tilting when i put it in reverse, radio cuts on in off, turbos rattle. I'm not complaining, but I dont think I will be keeping my bimmer when the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #62
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post

the reason it depreciates at such a precipitous rate, is because its junk, and nobody is willing to pay much for it used.

are you 12?
That is the biggest most ignorant crock of shit I have heard.

a used C6 zO6 can be had for $40,000 in good shape with low miles... it was $70,000 new 2 years prior... it must be junk

a Pontiac GTO was $34,000 new... with a 400hp 6.0L LS2 engine in it and hitting a .88g on the skid in bone stock form you can get the HOLDEN for $13-15,000 only 3-4 years old with low miles and in good shape... it MUST be junk...

I could go on and on and on.

Depreciation has to do with MANY things, and most of the time it isn't because it's JUNK.

Did you know you can buy a BMW 7 Series a few years old for less than a barely used 3 Series and they cost DOUBLE the price new? How about MB AMG's... YEP! JUNK!

Please don't ever post again.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #63
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i sport

acura and honda are making HIDEOUS cars these days. honestly. theyre horrifically styled
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #64
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
That is the biggest most ignorant crock of shit I have heard.

a used C6 zO6 can be had for $40,000 in good shape with low miles... it was $70,000 new 2 years prior... it must be junk

a Pontiac GTO was $34,000 new... with a 400hp 6.0L LS2 engine in it and hitting a .88g on the skid in bone stock form you can get the HOLDEN for $13-15,000 only 3-4 years old with low miles and in good shape... it MUST be junk...

I could go on and on and on.

Depreciation has to do with MANY things, and most of the time it isn't because it's JUNK.

Did you know you can buy a BMW 7 Series a few years old for less than a barely used 3 Series and they cost DOUBLE the price new? How about MB AMG's... YEP! JUNK!

Please don't ever post again.
I'll throw it out there, you like to yell.

But that aside

Some cars are financially worth leasing, some arent. The difference? depreciation.

BMW's are a very popular vehicle to lease because their residual value over a typical lease period is very high relative to other vehicles in their price range (and in general)

Honda's are very popular to lease as well because arguably as of late they hold their value the best.

Now whats the determinant of residual value? What people are willing to pay for a vehicle used.

If you are saying that because you like Ford, and you have seen a deal somewhere for one and its super cheap and you deem the car worth purchasing, thats why you buy it.

But Ford doesnt hold value well, and you listed that as a positive trait for the used car market,

IE:
"Originally Posted by 11Past9
The SHO has a big advantage in this comparision... and that is the projected depreciation which makes this car MUCH more appealing in the used car market which happens to rule over brand new."

The reason Ford doesnt hold value well, is because in the used car market, no one is willing to pay more for them. If they were willing to pay more for them, then they would sell for more. It's called a market.

If you are unfamiliar with the term, I have some property I'd like to sell you in the Everglades, I promise it's going to be developed...very fertile land

So my point was, having a low used car price, is because the market deems this product cheaper than competing products that start in the same price range. For this reason, Ford is junk, the market has valued it as junk, and it continues to be viewed as junk. Resale value shows you that, and its not a positive trait of a car.

You dont ever buy a car because it has poor resale value, you buy one with good resale value so you dont get hosed.
      09-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #65
Cerezo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 TL Type-S

Quote:
Depreciation does have to do with many things, the first ones being, bad perceived value, and the actual quality of the build. Customer perceived value comes from what people know about the quality of previous products. Why do you think fords depreciate so much in a few years, while the japanese are the opposite?

The buying used comment is just funny. Without new ones, where do you get used? Oh yeah, the rent-a-car lot.

It doesn't take very long to drive a company's reputation into a pit, but it takes a long time for them to get it back. You can't blame people for not wanting to pay the price for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #66
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Are you judging the entire package because of the lack of support for a media device (available optionally)?
The SHO comes standard with Sync. All the tech goodies in the TL are optional with the tech package, and the SHO not only matches every tech option of the TL but offers some that aren't even available including:

-Heated and cooled front seats
-Rear heated seats
-Rear power sunshade
-Memory power adjustable pedals
-Auto-highbeam headlights
-Rain sensing wipers (seriously can't believe the TL doesn't have these)
-Blind spot monitoring system
-Cross traffic alert system

Quote:
So, the SH-AWD system is only beneficial in the snow?

C&D did a Comparison of the TL-SH vs A4 vs G37 vs 328 and the TL came in dead last. (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests) It was slower to 60mph than a 328, though it essentially matched the BMW and Infiniti in braking and the skidpad.