New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-28-2023, 09:57 AM   #23
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
They got like three feet of air that time.
I'd say more like 6-7 since you can see at one point it's higher than the cab of the lifted truck.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 11:11 AM   #24
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
I actually had something similar but less dramatic happen in my first year of college where I hit a large tire on a freeway (without the upside down flip).

I came up over a hill on a 3 lane freeway doing about 65-70 (in an 80s dodge k-car) and suddenly there was a tow truck tire laying flat in the road in the middle lane. I had a car on each side of my so my only choice was to hit it...

I hit it mainly with the left front and caught a bit of air. The car landed right side up rather than flipping but the shock tower was blown loose from the frame rail and was barely attached... The steering wheel was at 45 degrees to go straight when I recovered. I was probably lucky that it was an an old kcar (my first car, we didn't have money) and the strut tower had some rust so it just pulled form the frame rail. If it had been stronger perhaps the impact would have been even more violent...

I managed to not hit anything else and steer the car off at the next offramp where I found a 3 legged tow truck.

After a bit of battling with the insurance companies we found out that the truck had had new tires that day and the shop must have failed to torque the lugs...

It was pretty scary to hit a 20" wheel like that fortunately it was laying flat and was a steel wheel so it didn't cause me to flip over like that.

I agree though that normally loose lugs are noticeable.

I once when young forgot to tighten my front lugs after an engine swap and I had a tight schedule... I was young and silly and drove across the country 1 day after an engine swap. I drove about 1600 miles on lugs that were only tightened enough to lower the car down... I then started to hear a click/clack and pulled off to see what it was.

It might be worse with wheel spacers though. Large wheel spacers require extra care when installing. This is why I usually find a wheel with the right offsets instead of using spacers. I was also in a 2600lb fwd turbo car with stock size/offset wheels... So a big truck with the big offset would have been less forgiving and would come loose much faster...

-Rich
      03-28-2023, 12:06 PM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The excessive back spacing (negative offset) of those wheels is highly suspect as the root cause of this failure.

When you push the contact patch inches outside of where it was intended, suspension and drivetrain components are taxed and in this instance, severely. Hub assembly failed on this truck.

Having tires outside of the body is illegal in CA and most states. The driver of the truck could easily lose a civil case if the Kia driver would want to persue it.
      03-28-2023, 12:11 PM   #26
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Interesting about the Tesla is, was it in Autopilot or FSD Betakill at the time of the incident. If so, it did a great job of avoiding the tyre and recognizing an accident (rather than an accident depicted on an overhead sign - due to the height the Kia achieved) and did not also hit the Kia. Yet the video cuts off so we don't know, but if in Autopilot, the Tesla should have pulled off on the ample shoulder. In proper driving education, humans are taught proper protocol in such a situation is to pull over onto the shoulder of the road so oncoming traffic can see the accident and avoid it, and the driver can avoid being rear ended. AND did the Tesla Autopilot automatically and instinctively put on its hazard flashers to notify other drivers behind it to use caution.

Kudos to Elon. Did he Tweet about it?
It's a good thing it didn't immediately go to the shoulder, or it may have caught the tire coming back to finish off the Kia!

Does the Autopilot use the rear cameras as well? I don't know enough about the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:40 PM   #27
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

No video, but reminded me of a rear wheel coming off a truck (1997 Dodge Ram), crossing the median and killing a guy in a Camry going in the opposite direction (Boston Area, Rt 128/I-95):
https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...-on-route-128/

Never saw if they filed charges against owner of the truck (not clear if the 19 year old girl was the owner).
Appreciate 0