New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #45
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
"And that new rock and roll music will be the death of us." My dad in 1970.

Things change.
Thanks for taking time out of your instagram time to post.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #46
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Thanks for taking time out of your instagram time to post.
X-posting, duhhhhh
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #47
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
You are in the DMV what are you supposed to do, talk to the lady with her screaming kids who are sitting next to you?
Who actually goes to DMV any more? Last time that I ever set foot in a DMV was almost 15 years ago, and it was in a small town where there were two clerks actually working the counter and I was the only other person there.....
      09-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #48
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Who actually goes to DMV any more? Last time that I ever set foot in a DMV was almost 15 years ago, and it was in a small town where there were two clerks actually working the counter and I was the only other person there.....
Some of us have no choice - as a non-resident, I couldn't renew my license online. And I had to title my cars in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #49
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Changing titles and driver's licenses from another state to Indiana requires a visit(s) to the BMV. In addition to titling/registering a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #50
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
people that dont use smart phones

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #51
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
people that dont use smart phones
Or spawned new drivers
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #52
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

It is very sad and very troubling, period.

More sedentary lifestyle, more eye strain, more distraction, more out of touch... Yep.
Appreciate 4
SakhirM410783.00
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      09-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #53
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

On the positive side, the availability of information in the cell phone age is unprecedented and exponentially better. I literally have the entirety of the recorded human experience in the palm of my hand. Amazing indeed.

The more amazing thing is, despite this, people today are more ignorant than ever
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410783.00
MKSixer34171.50
      09-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #54
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
On the positive side, the availability of information in the cell phone age is unprecedented and exponentially better. I literally have the entirety of the recorded human experience in the palm of my hand. Amazing indeed.

The more amazing thing is, despite this, people today are more ignorant than ever

its sound like punch line for new cellphone commercial
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #55
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Cell phones can be great tools and have a lot of positives. They are also abused and have lots of negatives. To many people, they are like security blankets. They feel like they need to have them out all the time and be within sight.

During work meetings, it drives me nuts when people put their phones on the conference room table or check them while people are talking/presenting. It's freaking rude. If you're expecting an important call, then put the phone to vibrate, and excuse yourself if it rings. Otherwise, your emails and texts can wait. You're not that important.

Studies firmly show that having a phone within site creates anxiety and a need to check it often to make sure the person isn't missing out on something. Think about that.

I'm married and have to kids (14 and 10). We eat dinner nearly every night at the dinner table. Phones are not allowed. If we're hanging out together or out to eat, phones are ok (assuming food isn't on the table), BUT if we converse with one another, the rule is you put the phone away and you talk with undivided attention. That rule applies in social scenarios too. If someone talks to you, the phone goes down.

I am amused to see so many people instantly grab for a phone when they don't have anything to do. I'm guilty of it as well. I don't see a huge problem with it though as many of us are reading forums, news, books, etc. It in many cases, it can be no different than reading a magazine. However, sometimes it is nice to just think, stare, people watch, see the scenery, etc.

A big problem with phones is social media. I firmly believe the negatives outweigh the positives. I only use social media for the sports leagues I'm involved in and local music/festival events. That's all I care about. The constant feed on social media can suck people in and they waste hours on end during the day. So much of the "information" and pictures on social media are doctored, fake, sensational, and generally not representative of reality. It affects people; largely in a bad way.

I respect phones for the ability to help me research, provide maps/directions, has my music/movies/shows, has a camera, and helps keep me connected to people/work (sometimes a negative).

Phones are also instrumental in distributing information in repressed countries. I firmly believe phones and their ability to distribute information and amass/align large groups will be ultimately responsible for the fall/restructuring of places like North Korea, Russia, portions of the Middle East (Iran), South American, and even the US.
      09-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #56
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Indiana Jones?!? Which DMV is that?!? Shit, all they have in CA DMV's are either tickers of which number is called on an ancient burned-in CRT TV like this, ads for traffic injury attorneys, and laws that have been in place for decades (not any new/useful laws like the changes to child seat rules or how to drive in the rain)! I'd watch that if they did decide to play it (although it'd suck trying to hear it through the antiquated recordings)!

I get what you're saying otherwise, but it's a vicious cycle... Most of the times I'm organizing my inbox/replying to emails, or well... wasting away on social media. But for company matters, it's almost as if they expect you to work 24/7, especially since ServiceNow likes to send emails any time anybody farts and coughs no matter how irrelevant it is to you, so 300+ emails a day isn't uncommon for me.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #57
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2006 S2000

Guilty....addicted. I can obviously function without cellphone and would rather communicate with people. But phone is almost always in my hands or at least in my pocket

I mean if I am alone waiting somewhere for something, eating, at the bar or something then yes I am always browsing crap
Appreciate 0