New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #45
cc_25
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Congratulations OP, that would be an absolute dream car for me if I could live with a car with only 2 seats. The Cayman is a true gem. Very jealous!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #46
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post
Your post was clearly written with the intent of getting a response, so congratulations, you got one!!! I have driven both ACTUALLY. The Cayman is a nice handling car but it goes no further than that. One of my very good friends is a Porsche fanatic and has a 944, 911 and a 935. The 944 and 935 are both 1986 models and are FAR better than the cayman. The 911 is an 89 and let's just say it trumps the both of them. His father has a 911 gt3, 911 turbo and a cayman s (yes, they have A LOT of money, bastards). I've been fortunate enough to drive all of those cars and THE CAYMAN DOES NOT CUT THE MUSTARD. His father actually bought the cayman "just to see what it was all about." It kind of made me sick. Well that's all, the end.

Please take this post as you will because it will probably not give you enjoyment nor cause any type of mental stimulation, and for that I'm sorry.
Lol...
Quote:
I love how every person on this board 'automatically' knows what cars other members have or haven't driven. 'You're positive' are you?! Is there some sort of crystal ball that you get if you purchase a premium e90post subscription? Why didn't I get the memo?
and Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #47
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

Quote:
...Other than that you'll just have that inferiority complex everytime you pull up next to a 911. Jeremy Clarkson said it best on his review of the car; "It's absolute rubbish," and "Pulling up to a stop light in one of these next to a 911 is like going into to the urinals and standing next to a horse, embarassing!!!"
You are the type to get an inferiority complex over others who have what you perceive as better "status indicators". This doesn't factor into everyone's auto shopping/owning experience. By the same logic as you posted above, you should feel like a real homer when an M3 pulls up next to your lowly 335, correct?

The Cayman is a great car, and leagues beyond competent. It holds its own against the 911 incredibly well. Too well really. But, then again, it all sucks because Porsche has a car in a price bracket above it, so the Cayman must suck right? There's a reason why the Cayman has modest power output, and it's not to stay within the limits of its chassis....

You're the type to get inferiority complexes over stuff like that, and it's pretty sad. But that has nothing to do with the Cayman; it's directly linked to your own insecurities.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #48
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep

Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Congrats, you're gonna love it. Post more pix when you get a chance. The blinds in your garage reminds me of the homes at Potomic Greens. Anyways, enjoy your new ride.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #49
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F31

How about an opinion from another P-Car owner. I have a 997 turbo and I LOVE the Cayman. I got the chance to drive one on a track and its an incredibly predictable and well sorted car. Really impressive. Good luck, you'll enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

As they say....PORSCHE. There is no substitute. Congrats!

And LOL. A Porsche driver uses a 335 as a daily driver. A 335 driver uses a Camry, Accord, Nissan as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #51
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
You are the type to get an inferiority complex over others who have what you perceive as better "status indicators". This doesn't factor into everyone's auto shopping/owning experience. By the same logic as you posted above, you should feel like a real homer when an M3 pulls up next to your lowly 335, correct?

The Cayman is a great car, and leagues beyond competent. It holds its own against the 911 incredibly well. Too well really. But, then again, it all sucks because Porsche has a car in a price bracket above it, so the Cayman must suck right? There's a reason why the Cayman has modest power output, and it's not to stay within the limits of its chassis....

You're the type to get inferiority complexes over stuff like that, and it's pretty sad. But that has nothing to do with the Cayman; it's directly linked to your own insecurities.
I remember when I got my 335 (12/06), the Porsche dealership by me had Caymans on the lot with reduced tags in the windshields....48k. I was thinking hmmmm........but they were NOT S models. The S's were in mid 50's, which back then was a lot. It still is. But ha, you can't even get a 335 coupe for mid 50's loaded today, nearly 5k price increase since 2007.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #52
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 6mt

Quote:

I know what BEAST means...it doesn't apply to the 3 series. But with Porsche, which is more of a status car than a BMW (because Porsche is more strongly associated with being a sports car, whereas BMW is just a sedan/compromise car) -- status immediately plays a bigger role with Porsche. There is no logic here, it JUST is. And I know you know what I mean, just think of Porsche and Ferrari and Lambo, what comes to you mind? Do the same with BMW, its a big difference based on ur gut reactions.

He is saying your gut reaction when you see a Cayman isn't to be in awe of it as you would be a 911. It just doesn't have that cachet. BMW you don't get the same reaction, because no one cares - no one really looks at BMW in awe, except maybe an M3 or M5...even that not for long.

But what most of you guys are saying, is who cares? Its a technically such an AMAZING car -- go for it! It really is a hoot to drive, so responsive, sonorous, agile, with great feedback!

I agree with most of you guys, that you should get what you want to get. Technically, the Cayman is AMAZING. Like I said, best car for value, if you're a driver -- just amazing.

For some people personally, as amazing as the Cayman is, its not a 911. But Meh, a real man does what he wants...who cares what people on boards think!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #53
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Drives: N-1 starfighter

Have you guys seen the new Cayman R?

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/cayman-r/usa.aspx

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #54
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
But Meh, a real man does what he wants...who cares what people on boards think!
I might say a real man acts responsibly with his wallet and his family. But understood, what's a M3/5/6 relative to a Carerra 4S and above? Some 20 y.o. Ivy League p***** in a turbo today (pot calling the kettle black lol) cut me off, slammed on his brakes, and did a U'ey in front of me today. But I seriously did admire his car, looked wide-body and was louder than stock. Something which at 20 he has, and I never will. Not missing much I tell myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #55
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I might say a real man acts responsibly with his wallet and his family. But understood, what's a M3/5/6 relative to a Carerra 4S and above? Some 20 y.o. Ivy League p***** in a turbo today (pot calling the kettle black lol) cut me off, slammed on his brakes, and did a U'ey in front of me today. But I seriously did admire his car, looked wide-body and was louder than stock. Something which at 20 he has, and I never will. Not missing much I tell myself.
Of course thats what I meant -- a man is mature enough to do his own thing if you will. Whatever variables he wants to take into account, are up to him. You can't be bothered by nonsense.

Ivy League or not, who cares -- let people do what they will -- best thing is to shrug them off.

On a sidenote, him being 20 with a turbo -- its a stratified society; most of us here benefit from it. He's lucky to have the background/upbringing he has, and life will likely be good for him - such is luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #56
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Of course thats what I meant -- a man is mature enough to do his own thing if you will. Whatever variables he wants to take into account, are up to him. You can't be bothered by nonsense.

Ivy League or not, who cares -- let people do what they will -- best thing is to shrug them off.

On a sidenote, him being 20 with a turbo -- its a stratified society; most of us here benefit from it. He's lucky to have the background/upbringing he has, and life will likely be good for him - such is luck.
Yeah, he squeezed his car into a space on the street, couldn't care less. Me? I park my 335 curbed and far away, and I never (except maybe 2X) would parallel park it on the street. Since the 335 hasn't quit on me in nearly 8 mos., I'm relatively happy with it, been paid off for a year, and the money I'm not paying for a car I'm pumping into the mortgage and then some.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #57
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
. Jeremy Clarkson said it best on his review of the car; "It's absolute rubbish," and "Pulling up to a stop light in one of these next to a 911 is like going into to the urinals and standing next to a horse, embarassing!!!"

It makes total sense that the ultimate authority on a horse's d1ck would be the ultimate horse's ass.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-03-2010 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #58
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep

Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Congrats! Strongly considering that car in the future...
      12-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #59
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Congrats! Strongly considering that car in the future...
I'm still trying to guess what kind of doc you are.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #60
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
It makes total sense that the ultimate authority on a horse's d1ck would be the ultimate horse's ass.

CA
Perfect
      12-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #61
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
nice ride
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #62
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Congrats on the Porsche, the only other car I would own right behind an Aston Martin (but thats WAAAAAY out of the question). But sorry, the Cayman is hideous . We all know the only Porsche worth owning is a 911 or of course a carrera gt. Other than that you'll just have that inferiority complex everytime you pull up next to a 911. Jeremy Clarkson said it best on his review of the car; "It's absolute rubbish," and "Pulling up to a stop light in one of these next to a 911 is like going into to the urinals and standing next to a horse, embarassing!!!"

Sorry I'm really not trying to be a jerk, just don't care for the boxster or the cockster errrr I mean cayman!!! Liked your 335 better!!
After reading your subsequent posts it's very clear that you're still a child and have absolutely no clue what you're talking about when it comes to cars. When you actually grow up and stop referring to your "buddies dad's cars" people might actually listen to your opinions.

Quote:
No, actually "we all" don't.

Your post was so bad that I thought it was written in jest at first.... That's ok that you think it's hideous and all, but the rest of it is just rubbish. Written like someone that's never actually driven a Cayman, or a Porsche of any kind for that matter....
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglee444 View Post
I did the exact opposite trade. I had an 06 Cayman S and immediately found out I was having a baby so got a e90. I loved the way the Cayman handled but I also love the e90 power w/ a tune. I'm not torn though, I loved/love both cars.

You'll love the Cayman, but don't get your hopes up on reliability. Mine had its share of issues the 1 year I had it. It was little things but very annoying to keep going to the dealer. And the local Porsche dealership only offered rental cars as loaners through Enterprise. I actually got into an argument once because the rental car came back with a small door ding which I don't really know if it was there or not. And they wanted to charge it my insurance company. But the BMW dealership experience is top notch with BMW dealership loaners.

Sorry for the rant. You'll love the Cayman ride and handling, but I don't think you'll appreciate the communications interface as much as the BMW.
I respect your opinion seeing that you've owned both cars...but really??? You're trying to suggest the 335 reliablity is better than the Cayman's? I realize that you may have had some issues with your's, and that I empathize with, but the 335 is near the bottom of the barrel as far as reliablility is concerned.

Quote:
Your post was clearly written with the intent of getting a response, so congratulations, you got one!!! I have driven both ACTUALLY. The Cayman is a nice handling car but it goes no further than that. One of my very good friends is a Porsche fanatic and has a 944, 911 and a 935. The 944 and 935 are both 1986 models and are FAR better than the cayman. The 911 is an 89 and let's just say it trumps the both of them. His father has a 911 gt3, 911 turbo and a cayman s (yes, they have A LOT of money, bastards). I've been fortunate enough to drive all of those cars and THE CAYMAN DOES NOT CUT THE MUSTARD. His father actually bought the cayman "just to see what it was all about." It kind of made me sick. Well that's all, the end.

Please take this post as you will because it will probably not give you enjoyment nor cause any type of mental stimulation, and for that I'm sorry.
You have zero clue what you are talking about....again.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #63
BlackLemon
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 13-750i, 15-Hurc., 14 X5 50i

Great looking car, congrats. I had one for a week as a loaner just before getting my summer car. It was one of the best handling i have ever driven, perhaps even better then my SL.

Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #64
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Drives: 335i LCI

So how does the driving experience compare?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #65
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:

In what respect are the 944 & 935 better than the Cayman S ? Looks are subjective so lets keep it at performance. And do not compare it with the GT3 or the turbo, they are different animals.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #66
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

hey congrats, i just sold my e46m for a cayman s. Hmm, i wonder what the dark side will make me do..lol
Appreciate 0