New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #45
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Yes, I admit, if you trick out a Porsche Panamera interior, getting into the 150K realm, the interior is "much better". Your 3-series based interior is not any better than the camaro, in some ways, worse. Radio function on the steering wheel was a little better on the camaro IMO, center-cluster with displayed digital speed (also has heads up) is better than BMWs IMO, just that one feature makes it better. Heated seats, about the same. BMW climate control? Stinks, sorry, that feature wants to turn on the A/C all the time, in the winter, when it's cold. I understand when defrosting the window, but I'm talking all the time. Interior lighting? About the same, there isn't as much to light in the camaro, so not as many interior lights, but has some nice ambiance lighting on the door panels. Plastic? Yeah, they both have plastic, lots of it. Really, about the only thing that isn't plastic in your BMW are the seats, a couple other small things like gear-shiftier and steering wheel, so pretty much the same here. Seat support? About the same. People rave about these 3-series sports seats, but I don't know what the fuss is about, they ain't all that, decent? Sure. Magic-fairy dust porsche-recaro-good? Not even close. Gearbox? In the camaro its "right there", so easy and quick, but at the same time substantial and beefy, makes my wrx seem like a toy. Because you sit low in the camaro with the drivetrain relatively high, your arm rests in a very nice position for the gear changes.

Maybe it's the chevy symbol that gives you so much trouble, as the car is pulling more than 1G lateral?
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #46
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Nice car, visibility is shit, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:17 AM   #47
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 Frozen Black M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
you have no idea what I drive, have driven or own, apart from what you can see on my profile on a BMW Forum lol
Actually, we do know what you've owned and driven. Let's see, you own a 2016 M4, black with orange leather, automatic, ... and you've driven a few Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, and Chargers.

The only reason I called you out on it was your comment about modern muscle cars going fast in a straight line. When you make that comment, it implies they can't do anything else.

We'll know soon enough what the Camaro can do other than go fast in a straight line, in upcoming Head2Head against the 2016 M4. The results should be posted in another week, and we'll see what Randy P. and the other pros say about both cars. Maybe you'll be proven correct.
No. You know SOME of what I've driven, owned and own, in the very limited context of this thread, as I said. The M4 is one of the cars I currently own, yes.

Also, as I said, I made more comments than just the 'straight line' one. Based on my personal experience. So there's nothing to "call me out" on really. Thanks for coming.

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

More info and photos here.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:20 AM   #48
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes
Yes, I admit, if you trick out a Porsche Panamera interior, getting into the 150K realm, the interior is "much better". Your 3-series based interior is not any better than the camaro, in some ways, worse. Radio function on the steering wheel was a little better on the camaro IMO, center-cluster with displayed digital speed (also has heads up) is better than BMWs IMO, just that one feature makes it better. Heated seats, about the same. BMW climate control? Stinks, sorry, that feature wants to turn on the A/C all the time, in the winter, when it's cold. I understand when defrosting the window, but I'm talking all the time. Interior lighting? About the same, there isn't as much to light in the camaro, so not as many interior lights, but has some nice ambiance lighting on the door panels. Plastic? Yeah, they both have plastic, lots of it. Really, about the only thing that isn't plastic in your BMW are the seats, a couple other small things like gear-shiftier and steering wheel, so pretty much the same here. Seat support? About the same. People rave about these 3-series sports seats, but I don't know what the fuss is about, they ain't all that, decent? Sure. Magic-fairy dust porsche-recaro-good? Not even close. Gearbox? In the camaro its "right there", so easy and quick, but at the same time substantial and beefy, makes my wrx seem like a toy. Because you sit low in the camaro with the drivetrain relatively high, your arm rests in a very nice position for the gear changes.

Maybe it's the chevy symbol that gives you so much trouble, as the car is pulling more than 1G lateral?
Lots of "IMO" and there's the rub. It's all your opinion, which IMO counts for nothing given that you think a full leather F82 interior is all plastic.

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #49
Rob13567
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
My mistake. Thanks for calling me out. I read it got 16mpg in town which does suck. But the highway mileage is great for a car with that displacement and horsepower.
Just bought one a while back can't wait for the head2head agains the m4 next wednesday I love both cars. also just hit 1000 miles and i'm averaging 20 mpg. i don't really have a problem with visibility out back just use the backup cam, only serious problem i have is the lack of storage and less space than my e92 335i, but the V8, magnetic ride control, dual-mode exhaust make up for it
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #50
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep

Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
Just bought one a while back can't wait for the head2head agains the m4 next wednesday I love both cars. also just hit 1000 miles and i'm averaging 20 mpg. i don't really have a problem with visibility out back just use the backup cam, only serious problem i have is the lack of storage and less space than my e92 335i, but the V8, magnetic ride control, dual-mode exhaust make up for it

the torque band is very nice, nothing beats a high displacement v8 off the idle plus GM fixed the 2 things i didn't like about the old one: weight and looks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #51
Rob13567
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post

the torque band is very nice, nothing beats a high displacement v8 off the idle plus GM fixed the 2 things i didn't like about the old one: weight and looks
same here and they used alot of corvette in making it, but also dont forget the interior!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #52
aerostar
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80

Looks nice.

Interior looks crappy and cheap.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #53
DDD31
Captain
Rep

Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
same here and they used alot of corvette in making it, but also dont forget the interior!
Just curious, does the turn signal lever feel like its going to snap off in your hand? Every time I drive a GM car, I get that feeling and it seems like its been that way since the 70's. I tried the lever on many different GM cars at this years Detroit auto show and they all felt like that (including all of the Cadillacs, I didn't sit in the new Camaro or Corvette though). That feeling about the turn signal lever just drives me crazy.

Congrats on the car, seems like a real beast!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #54
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I'm glad you like your Camaro. 20 mpg does not sound bad for that level of performance. I can't wait to drive one. I don't think it will sway my practical side (4 doors and a good trunk) but who knows I wonder if Chevy plans to build a sports sedan with Camaro SS specs.

Best of luck with your new car. Let us know how it goes with the M4 - be safe.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #55
Rob13567
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Just curious, does the turn signal lever feel like its going to snap off in your hand? Every time I drive a GM car, I get that feeling and it seems like its been that way since the 70's. I tried the lever on many different GM cars at this years Detroit auto show and they all felt like that (including all of the Cadillacs, I didn't sit in the new Camaro or Corvette though). That feeling about the turn signal lever just drives me crazy.

unfortunately yes well to me it does, but it might be because it's brand new when i pull the stalk it feels like it shouldn't be pulled that way. although it doesn't make a cheap craaack sound like other old american vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I'm glad you like your Camaro. 20 mpg does not sound bad for that level of performance. I can't wait to drive one. I don't think it will sway my practical side (4 doors and a good trunk) but who knows I wonder if Chevy plans to build a sports sedan with Camaro SS specs.

Best of luck with your new car. Let us know how it goes with the M4 - be safe.
yes 20 mpg in hilly georgia. The trunk is not that big but i never haul around alot of stuff so it doesn't bother me. back seat space sucks( one thing i miss from my e92). the only other option for you might be the ats-v after all it is the same chasis(I hate the gauge cluster in the ats though it looks out of place in the interior)

and thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #56
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Ah the days when BMW is being defended based on the interior quality and visibility out the car, all at close to a 50% price premium.

Used to be everything from weight, handling, build quality, mpg, reliability, and it definitely seems they are getting closer but without getting in the same ballpark on price. My guess is the M4 will win the overall comparison tests as long as price isn't factored in. I am both a BMW and GM product owner.
      02-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #57
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Ah the days when BMW is being defended based on the interior quality and visibility out the car, all at a 50% price premium.

Used to be everything from weight, handling, build quality, mpg, reliability, and it definitely seems they are getting closer but without getting in the same ballpark on price. My guess is the M4 will win the overall comparison tests as long as price isn't factored in. I am both a BMW and GM product owner.
If all else was equal, I could never buy a Camaro/Corvette/Challenger/Charger/Mustang based solely on the looks alone.

I find the exteriors of all of them to be really gaudy/garish (with the exception of the new corvette, which looks great from the back) and the interiors look really cheap.

Also, cost isn't always the deciding factor.

Each to their own.

I still don't agree that all else is equal, or even close. But fanboys will be fanboys (on both sides of the argument)

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #58
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Posts like this always amuse me.

To fix this, I suggest the Chevy Sonic or Cruz. Great visibility, really gets you "up there".

Otherwise, it's sad you'll never be able to drive an Aston Martin, Jag, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or any low roofline/long front hood type car.

Rear window on my 428GC is almost the exact same size as was on my Camaro SS.

Yes, it doesn't have the best visibility, that's the price you pay for lowering the car, having a low roofline, getting the engine behind the front axle, etc. That's why it's a "sports" car. Compromises.

+1 the whole visibility back window issue is so dumb, my old boy owns a Z3 and a Z4...I had to move the Z4 recently...DO YOU KNOW HOW AWFUL VISIBILITY IS OUT OF ANYWHERE IN THIS CAR???...besides the fact that I'm 5'9'' and I barely fit lol seriously I felt like a sardine in that bit*h
      02-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #59
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep

Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post

they feel almost like they took it off my 1999 saab

bmw's clickers feel ok, but the two stage low resistance turn signals for bmws are annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
+1 the whole visibility back window issue is so dumb, my old boy owns a Z3 and a Z4...I had to move the Z4 recently...DO YOU KNOW HOW AWFUL VISIBILITY IS OUT OF ANYWHERE IN THIS CAR???...besides the fact that I'm 5'9'' and I barely fit lol seriously I felt like a sardine in that bit*h
the z3's b pillar was directly in my blind spot, you just had to guess since you're pretty much sitting in the trunk
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #60
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Nice car, visibility is shit, though.
i bet you would hate to have a lambo!

jk haha

02-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #61
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
If all else was equal, I could never buy a Camaro/Corvette/Challenger/Charger/Mustang based solely on the looks alone.

I find the exteriors of all of them to be really gaudy/garish (with the exception of the new corvette, which looks great from the back) and the interiors look really cheap.

Each to their own.

I still don't agree that all else is equal, or even close. But fanboys will be fanboys (on both sides of the argument)
Looks are subjective. Remove that from the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #62
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide
Quote:

Each to their own.

Looks are subjective. Remove that from the discussion.
I can't remove that as that is the over-riding reason I would never buy one. As I clearly stated.

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #63
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

Rob13567,

Your car looks amazing.

I love the new SS.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #64
wjones14
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Looks nice.

Interior looks crappy and cheap.
The interior is not crappy and cheap. Like I said, I sat in the 2SS with the Ceramic White interior accents - similar to the Adrenaline Red accent in the pic posted by Rob13567 - and didn't think it was cheap or crappy at all. I'm comparing it to the Coral Red interior in my M235i, and really, the dash material felt similar, the leather on the seats felt similar. I was surprised by how nice it was.
      02-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #65
Rob13567
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
Rob13567,

Your car looks amazing.

I love the new SS.
Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #66
mikex25
Major
Rep

Drives: Grey thing

I was in Maui over the weekend and rented a mustang GT and I must admit it had a lot of bang for its buck. Loved the touch screen and ventilated seats, the interior quality is what surprised me the most.
Appreciate 0