New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Introducing the Next-Generation Acura MDX Prototype

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...s-global-debut

Quote:
October 14, 2020 — TORRANCE, CALIF.
  • MDX Prototype signals a radical design transformation, with a low and wide stance, long hood and sleek pulled-back cabin evoking a more dynamic character
  • New interior takes a quantum leap forward in craftsmanship, materials and technology, including Acura Precision Cockpit™ all-digital instrumentation
  • Fourth-generation MDX debuts all-new SUV platform with MDX’s first-ever double wishbone front suspension engineered for Type S-levels of performance
  • New MDX to arrive at dealers early next year; MDX Type S to follow in summer of 2021

Today’s unveiling of the Acura MDX Prototype previews the fourth-generation of the class-defining Acura MDX, America’s all-time best-selling three-row luxury SUV1. On sale early next year, the new MDX will assume the flagship role in the Acura lineup as the most premium, performance-focused and technologically sophisticated SUV in Acura history. Twenty years after the launch of the first-generation model, the bold new design and sumptuously appointed interior of the new MDX will be bolstered by an arsenal of new Acura technologies, an all-new performance-focused platform with MDX’s first-ever double wishbone front suspension, and the first application of the Type S high performance moniker to an Acura SUV.

“The new MDX marks a turning point for Acura as our new flagship and the most far-reaching effort yet to deliver on our Precision Crafted Performance brand promise,” said Jon Ikeda, vice president and Acura brand officer. “We knew we needed to deliver something more emotional and premium with performance at its core. This new MDX builds on the past 20 years of success and elevates the model to an even stronger position in the market.”

Exterior Design
Enveloped in striking matte finish, the MDX Prototype, shown in both Liquid Carbon and Performance Red, makes a bold statement with its more dynamic and muscular design. The upright grille and long, sculpted hood convey power and presence and are anchored to an even lower and wider body with bulging shoulders and a greenhouse set further back, enabling a 6-inch increase in dash-to-axle dimension.

Signature elements of Acura’s next-generation design language are elegantly integrated with the new more premium and athletic form of MDX, including a three-dimensional Diamond Pentagon grille flanked by four-element JewelEye® LED headlights, underscored by Chicane™ LED daytime running lights, inspired by the Acura ARX-05 race car. The front fascia has been sculpted to highlight the wide grille, integrating fog light housings under side vents that further emphasize the new MDX’s wider track.

In profile view, the 21-inch wheels have been pushed to the corners, giving the MDX Prototype a nearly 3-inch longer wheelbase, aiding both ride quality and more spacious seating in all three rows, as well as a larger and more versatile cargo hold. A sharply sculpted beltline connects the front and rear, where the wide-set Chicane™ LED taillights echo the headlight treatment in front.

Next Level Interior
Befitting its new flagship status, the MDX Prototype presages the production model’s more premium and sophisticated cabin design, with a cleaner, more upright instrument panel taking on a wide structural motif. High-grade, authentic materials trim the interior including open-pore wood with infused metallic flake, polished aluminum and soft-touch Milano leather. An elegant mix of Ebony and Light Orchid leather graces the instrument panel and steering wheel with French stitched detailing. Next-generation Acura sport seats offer a more sculpted form with curvilinear quilting in all three rows, gradient perforation, and high-contrast stitching and piping.

The MDX’s wider body design enables first-class seating with more legroom in all three rows, and notably more headroom for front and third-row occupants. An ultra-wide panoramic moonroof opens the cabin up to provide natural light to all three rows.

Optimally bolstered Acura sport seats offer 16-way power adjustment and integrated massage functionality with a class-leading nine massage modes to relax the driver and front passenger after an exhilarating drive. Acura’s Iconic Drive™ LED illuminates the entire MDX cabin with 27 different lighting schemes tied to driving modes and representative of various locations, such as iconic roads and race circuits around the world.

Advanced Technology
Featuring a myriad of leading-edge Acura technologies, the MDX Prototype debuts Acura’s all-digital Precision Cockpit™, replacing physical gauges with a customizable 12.3-inch driver’s meter. The new MDX also gains the latest generation of Acura’s intuitive and driver-focused True Touchpad Interface™, featuring an ultra-wide, 12.3-inch, full-HD center display (Acura’s largest implementation yet), Acura-exclusive touchpad with “absolute positioning” and a new CPU for improved performance.

The “Signature Edition” ELS STUDIO 3D® premium audio system in the MDX Prototype sets a new standard for concert-quality in-vehicle audio with more than 1000 watts of power, 22 discrete channels and 25 speakers. This elevated tier of ELS system features six ceiling-mounted Highline™ speakers and six carbon fiber coned mid-range woofers including two positioned innovatively in the front console to create a “Center of the Studio” experience with perfect left to right balance. Tuned and perfected by eight-time Grammy® award-winning music producer and sound engineer, Elliot Scheiner, this is the most advanced and powerful audio system ever offered in an Acura vehicle.

Elevated safety technologies include the latest generation of Acura’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) Body Structure, with enhanced occupant and pedestrian collision protection capabilities, bolstered by an expanded suite of AcuraWatch™ safety and driver-assistive technologies, including enhanced Road Departure Mitigation, new Traffic Jam Assist and new Low Speed Braking Control. Acura’s next-generation front passenger airbag technology, first seen on the new 2021 TLX and offering improved occupant protection in a wider variety of frontal collision scenarios, will be standard on all new MDX models.

Performance at its Core
The fourth-generation MDX debuts an all-new light truck platform built for athletic handling, refined ride comfort and exceptional cabin quietness. The most rigid Acura SUV body to date, the new MDX is engineered to support Type S-levels of performance as well as advanced collision and pedestrian safety. Anchored to the ultra-rigid new body is a new performance-focused chassis featuring MDX’s first-ever double wishbone front suspension, delivering sharp and sporty handling with improved road holding and ride comfort.

Further aiding handling and all-weather performance is Acura’s available fourth-generation Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®), the only dynamic torque vectoring technology in MDX’s competitive class, extracting maximum grip and cornering precision from the all-new chassis. Superior stopping performance is enabled with Brembo® four-piston brake calipers, finished in a striking Ivory paint, at all four corners.

Drivers can customize the ride, handling, steering, suspension and powertrain performance characteristics using the MDX’s Intelligent Dynamics System (IDS). The IDS unlocks a wider range of personalized driving experiences through pre-set modes as well as giving drivers the ability to customize an Individual dynamic driving mode via the NSX-inspired Drive Mode dial, positioned prominently on the center console.

Powering the fourth-generation MDX will be one of two new powertrains. Standard power will come from Acura’s 3.5-liter V6 with i-VTEC® valvetrain, connected to an incredibly responsive and refined 10-speed automatic transmission. The upcoming MDX Type S will feature a Type S-exclusive 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 producing an estimated 355 horsepower and 354 lb.-ft. of torque, the most powerful engine ever offered in an Acura SUV. All MDX Type S models will put power to the ground through Acura’s fourth-generation SH-AWD® system.

Twenty Years of MDX
Debuting in 2000 as the North American Truck of the Year, the original 2001 Acura MDX was the industry’s first three-row crossover SUV, defining an entirely new category of vehicles that now dominate the segment. Over the past 20 years, across three generations of development, MDX has established itself as America’s all-time best-selling three-row luxury SUV and one of only a handful of luxury models to earn more than 1 million U.S. customers in the past two decades2. MDX also recently surpassed the TL as the best-selling Acura model of all-time.

The fourth-generation MDX will join its three predecessors as designed, developed and produced in North America. The all-new MDX will be built at the company’s East Liberty, Ohio, auto plant, while both the 3.5-liter V6 and new Type S-exclusive 3.0-liter Turbo V6 engines will be produced at the company’s Anna, Ohio, engine plant, which also manufactures the NSX supercar’s twin-turbocharged hybrid V6 power unit. Acura’s 10-speed automatic transmission is built exclusively at the company’s Tallapoosa, Georgia, transmission plant.

Appreciate 2
      10-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

I like it. I think it looks pleasant. Also nice interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
I have been waiting for this reveal for a while. It looks great.

Definitely at the top of my list to buy for my wife in a year or two when we replace her 2015 Toyota Highlander. Toyota has shuffled their options on the Highlander such that you now have to go up to the Limited trim to get some key things I would want. At that point, the MDX is only a few thousand dollars away and makes for an easier decision.

Looking forward to driving reviews. I thought the base engine would be the 2.0L turbo from the RDX but it is not.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Here is the leak of the production version.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

Interior looks great finally, however that rear 3/4 view is terrible, the design is lost past the c-pillar and too chunky. Otherwise, overall a nice update and will be seeing a ton of soccer mom's upgrading.
      10-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Looks like a CX-5 + RAV4 morphed together.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
c1pher4545.50
      10-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Lines look softer, and reminds me of Mazda (not necessarily a bad thing).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

It's really nice, we had a 2016 & currently have a 2018 on lease that's up in a few months, So looks like this could be an option.. It's gonna come down to this or a Velar for us... Wife likes the Velar better but we are leaning toward the MDX because the Velar pricing doesn't make any sense... I think aliens came up with it. Their leases are like $1000/mo for a $53K car. where MDX is like $440 for same MSRP. haven't looked if Range Rover smartened up on their leases yet... but seeing the new MDX, it looks great and it appears they are trying to take a step up, which I worry they will be looking for a substantial lease bump which will turn me away.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:52 AM   #9
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

This is why we can't have manual transmissions.
King Rudi13152.00
Germanauto9665.50
      10-15-2020, 06:37 AM   #10
nick3753
Major
Rep

Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
It's really nice, we had a 2016 & currently have a 2018 on lease that's up in a few months, So looks like this could be an option.. It's gonna come down to this or a Velar for us... Wife likes the Velar better but we are leaning toward the MDX because the Velar pricing doesn't make any sense... I think aliens came up with it. Their leases are like $1000/mo for a $53K car. where MDX is like $440 for same MSRP. haven't looked if Range Rover smartened up on their leases yet... but seeing the new MDX, it looks great and it appears they are trying to take a step up, which I worry they will be looking for a substantial lease bump which will turn me away.
In time, I'm sure they will lease similar to the current MDX, however it will likely take a few years into its production. A major part of getting a good lease deal is getting a good/great "purchase" price of the vehicle. When the new MDX comes out they will likely be selling at or near MSRP (or potentially above it) for several months or longer. Then if the car is well received or wins an award (like MT SUV of the Year) those prices will hold longer. Take a look at the Kia Telluride for example.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:47 AM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Not for me, but appears to be a pretty nice upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:01 AM   #12
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Nice interior. I think you may have forgotten a photo or two of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

Looks to have smoothed out a lot of the exterior lines, and the interior looks great. Definitely needs to keep the grille black, that matte chrome looks terrible.

Could definitely be a contender for the wife in a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #14
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
Its because when you're leasing, you're paying for the depreciation instead of the MSRP. Range Rovers dont exactly hold their value, so that gap is much bigger than the Honda, which tend to keep their value. I would shop around different Land Rover dealerships for the right price. Lets put it this way, my mom leases her SUVs, she picked up a new Volvo XC60, with an MSRP of $50K for $437 a month after $3K out of pocket.
      10-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #15
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Personally, I think it looks like any other Japanese SUV. Really similar to a CX-5. There's really nothing about it that screams luxury or sporty or really anything other than a basic form of transportation.
      10-15-2020, 06:36 PM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Coming to a suburban Costco near you.
Appreciate 1
RM72870.00
      10-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #17
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Personally, I think it looks like any other Japanese SUV.
That's a really low bar.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5363.50
      10-16-2020, 06:12 AM   #18
647TTA
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

After 2 MDXs, I'm glad I went with a X5. It is a big improvement over the current model and has added several new features. My local dealer has said to expect a 6-10k price increase on well optioned models. I'm not sure the look they were going for on the center stack, but to me it looks complicated rather than elegant. I am glad that they kept the V6 on the base models instead of dropping to a turbo 4. Something unusual I noticed in one of the pictures that was not included here was the stitching on one of the seats looked like it had some issues - very not Acura like.
      10-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #19
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
We have a 2015 RDX (more our size, more elegant, and less nannies), and although I always wanted a 2nd gen MDX, this one is out for me, the grille is just too damn big.

You know what it is with these companies making huge grille's nowdays right? They steal so much from other manufacturer's designs that they had to find a way to make you recognize it's their product. I remember when the 5th gen Explorer came out, it was so damn close to a Rover that I still mistake them from a distance.

And this new MDX, it follows from the last one....so damn BUSY. My god. Can Honda/Acura stay off the design meds? Does there have to be something going on in every damn area of the car and interior?

Meh, skip it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #20
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Unlike the Lexus grille, I've never warmed up to the Acura beak-like grille and the fact that it keeps getting bigger and bigger is not a positive. I really would like to see them scrap that grille design and go a different direction rather than keep doubling down on a bad design.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #21
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
The Japanese car design ethic is getting less appealing to me as time goes on.

First gen Lexus LS and GS cars were great looking imo. The first one or two GXs were great. It went downhill from there.

Late 80s Acuras were OK for me. The early 2010s MDX was OK. All of it has gone downhill in my view.

Mazda is a hard no for me.

Subaru is a maybe.

I like what BMW, Porsche and M-B are doing, to greater or lesser extents. Latest VW models are excellent imo.

All of the above comments are related to aesthetics. Reliability is clearly best with Toyota and Honda or rather Lexus and Acura.

M-B is likely one of the least reliable brands in production today. MB seems to be competing with Land Rover for the bottom ranking.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #22
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
The Japanese car design ethic is getting less appealing to me as time goes on.

First gen Lexus LS and GS cars were great looking imo. The first one or two GXs were great. It went downhill from there.

Late 80s Acuras were OK for me. The early 2010s MDX was OK. All of it has gone downhill in my view.

Mazda is a hard no for me.

Subaru is a maybe.

I like what BMW, Porsche and M-B are doing, to greater or lesser extents. Latest VW models are excellent imo.

All of the above comments are related to aesthetics. Reliability is clearly best with Toyota and Honda or rather Lexus and Acura.

M-B is likely one of the least reliable brands in production today. MB seems to be competing with Land Rover for the bottom ranking.
What about Mazda is a hard no? If anything they are the only Japanese manufacturer making beautiful cars in my opinion.