New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #89
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
You have no idea! It's bad.....really bad.

Case in point. I've recently been trained as back up for the guy that handles purchasing for the maintenance department for when he is out of the office. He is here today but sending people to me to order items for them because he is busy.

By this mentality does this mean I can forward my work load to him to do when I'm at work and I'm "busy"?

At this point I am back up for the other two people here that are in purchasing, even though I don't work in either of their departments. I get it though, I'm the only other person in the building with access to the accounting software to create PO's, however; this creates issues. They are both scheduled to be off for the same week in May, meaning I will be doing my job and both of theirs. The thing that grinds my gears is that if I'm out of the office no one is capable of filling in for me which leaves me behind when I come back.......ultimately this just means that I can't get on bimmerpost until lunchtime or after

I'm in the same situation. I have Engineering, Maintenance, IT as I'm the only one that has A+ and Network + certification....and a few different Cisco router certs. By now I could have finished the MSCE certification. Plus we have an old Siemens phone server that still runs by Telnet....and I'm the only one with that and Nortel experience.

But once they found out I was proficient in SAP and Chempax, I also got a lot of the purchasing and receiving dumped in my lap.

But that was my own fault. I'm OCD with numbers, so everything I do is documented to the extreme with account cost centers, invoice numbers, receivers, and thorough descriptions.

Once corporate found that out, they want me doing it as they don't have to go back and correct something someone else entered wrong.

I find it odd that the company president comes to me looking for each months KPI's when we have a financial guy at our facility with a VP title.

So I'm everyone else's backup, but I have no backup myself. I have 4 weeks of vacation a year. I maybe get to use 2 weeks. 1 week for the beach, and 1 week that I take in odd days here and there when I need to take a day for a personal reason.

And I can always expect a backlog when I come back to the office.
      04-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #90
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Oh for fricks sake. How has this company survived? In spite of themselves, they must have managed to hire somewhat honest people, or else the company (if properly run) would be a Fortune 500 company easily.
Ummmmmm......we are a 215 year old Japanese company. I've posted it here before but will refrain from doing it again. Two of the companies that we own are very well know food products that are household names. Both of these companies we acquired within the past few years. Our parent company no one knows of but apparently are very successful as we are in EU markets as well as the US and Japan.

Now with this being said, we have recently (within the last 2 years) realized how dated some of our companies processes are and are currently going through a growth phase to where ALL of our processes and SOP's are being rewritten. Honest employees you say? "Somewhat" is a very accurate term to be used here. I'll just say there is a lot of slight of hand that goes on.....for now. I see our new systems changing this very quickly. The problem will be changing the mentality of the individuals who have worked here for 20+ years that have allowed technology and society pass them by.

Last edited by King Rudi; 04-17-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #91
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I'm in the same situation. I have Engineering, Maintenance, IT as I'm the only one that has A+ and Network + certification....and a few different Cisco router certs. By now I could have finished the MSCE certification. Plus we have an old Siemens phone server that still runs by Telnet....and I'm the only one with that and Nortel experience.

But once they found out I was proficient in SAP and Chempax, I also got a lot of the purchasing and receiving dumped in my lap.

But that was my own fault. I'm OCD with numbers, so everything I do is documented to the extreme with account cost centers, invoice numbers, receivers, and thorough descriptions.

Once corporate found that out, they want me doing it as they don't have to go back and correct something someone else entered wrong.

I find it odd that the company president comes to me looking for each months KPI's when we have a financial guy at our facility with a VP title.

So I'm everyone else's backup, but I have no backup myself. I have 4 weeks of vacation a year. I maybe get to use 2 weeks. 1 week for the beach, and 1 week that I take in odd days here and there when I need to take a day for a personal reason.

You and I are so much alike it's scary. I feel like OCD doesn't quite cover it, there needs to be another level to it; perhaps OCD+.

Although I do have a background in network installation and data, I do not have the certs that you do. I have all 20 little fingers and toes in everything that I possibly can. I know enough about everything to be somewhat proficient but definitely not a master.

I'm also our facilities unofficial IT guy. If there is a pc issue I am contacted before IT.

Also like you, no one here is able to be my back up as my everyday is different and no project is handled in the same fashion. Apparently being flexible, quick and knowing what needs to be done versus doing the same mundane things day in/day out isn't common. This is what makes us different. Hell, my only back up is my boss and there are times that he comes to me for advice. I'm constantly asking him where his maintenance guys are with tasks so I know how to proceed with scheduling and the logistics of the projects that I'm working on.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
      04-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #92
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
"Mahn why you only gots tree jobs?"

Appreciate 2
UncleWede17874.00
MKSixer34171.50
      04-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #93
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
You and I are so muchh alike it's scary. I feel like OCD doesn't quite cover it, there needs to be another level to it; perhaps OCD+.

Although I do have a background in network installation and data, I do not have the certs that you do. I have all 20 little fingers and toes in everything that I possibly can. I know enough about everything to be somewhat proficient but definitely not a master.

I'm also our facilities unofficial IT guy. If there is a pc issue I am contacted before IT.

Also like you, no one here is able to be my back up as my everyday is different and no project is handled in the same fashion. Apparently being flexible, quick and knowing what needs to be done versus doing the same mundane things day in/day out isn't common. This is what makes us different. Hell, my only back up is my boss and there are times that he comes to me for advice. I'm constantly asking him where his maintenance guys are with tasks so I know how to proceed with scheduling and the logistics of the projects that I'm working on.
this was me in highschool, my teachers would ask me to help if something wasn't working

then that became me in my last internship because the IT guy was a part-time dude and would only come in every other day

im not the kind of guy to underdeliver or underperform but i learned to keep my mouth shut about knowing some stuff about networking/computers after that
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      04-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #94
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
this was me in highschool, my teachers would ask me to help if something wasn't working

then that became me in my last internship because the IT guy was a part-time dude and would only come in every other day

im not the kind of guy to underdeliver or underperform but i learned to keep my mouth shut about knowing some stuff about networking/computers after that
I've recently adopted this mindset as well. The woman I share an office with had a HDD issue this week and IT sent her a new computer. Monday was fantastic overhearing her describe her issues to IT. "It's doing the beeps" Her new machine arrived today at noon. It's now almost 4:30 and it's in pieces all over the office and still not set up. The plant manager, the woman who needed the computer and another employee combined were not able to connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to the machine and plug it up.....I kid you not. The pc company did not include the display port cable and I finally stepped in to explain what they needed; they were going to buy a PCI cable there isn't even a PCI port on the machine. Even after explaining and showing them a picture they kept saying they needed an HDMI cable.....

Typically I would be a nice guy and just jump in a take care of it, but I've learned not to. Had I initiated this process today, it would have been my fault that it isn't working. I hate to be this way but it's the safest in this type of environment.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
      04-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #95
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ummmmmm......we are a 215 year old Japanese company. I've posted it here before but will refrain from doing it again. Two of the companies that we own are very well know food products that are household names. Both of these companies we acquired within the past few years. Our parent company no one knows of but apparently are very successful as we are in EU markets as well as the US and Japan.

Now with this being said, we have recently (within the last 2 years) realized how dated some of our companies processes are and are currently going through a growth phase to where ALL of our processes and SOP's are being rewritten. Honest employees you say? "Somewhat" is a very accurate term to be used here. I'll just say there is a lot of slight of hand that goes on.....for now. I see our new systems changing this very quickly. The problem will be changing the mentality of the individuals who have worked here for 20+ years that have allowed technology and society pass them by.
Our involvement sounds so similar....it's scary.

Especially when you just mentioned SOP's.....and the fact we are doing the same thing.

All that work....but I can't get it through the "higher-up" heads that it doesn't help unless there is also a culture change involved and there is exhaustive training involved.

Like you, we have guys who have been there 15-20 years. And they all freelance. I can guarantee that none of them follow any SOP the same as they think they know best. I tell upper management that the only way you will get them onboard is to involve them in the revisions.

It's scary as we are a specialty chemical company. We handle some very dangerous reactions, and these guys don't even understand the concept of simple things such as exothermic reactions.

Hell....the other day I found a guy pumping out of a reactor to a storage tank without any type of atmospheric break in place.

The only way I could get him to understand what could happen was to get a plastic water bottle, poke a hole in the bottom, let it leak out with the cap on.....and watch the bottle crumple from the small amount of vacuum it created. He looked at me like I was performing a magic trick.

This is what we are dealing with.
King Rudi13152.00
      04-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #96
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've recently adopted this mindset as well. The woman I share an office with had a HDD issue this week and IT sent her a new computer. Monday was fantastic overhearing her describe her issues to IT. "It's doing the beeps" Her new machine arrived today at noon. It's now almost 4:30 and it's in pieces all over the office and still not set up. The plant manager, the woman who needed the computer and another employee combined were not able to connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to the machine and plug it up.....I kid you not. The pc company did not include the display port cable and I finally stepped in to explain what they needed; they were going to buy a PCI cable there isn't even a PCI port on the machine. Even after explaining and showing them a picture they kept saying they needed an HDMI cable.....

Typically I would be a nice guy and just jump in a take care of it, but I've learned not to. Had I initiated this process today, it would have been my fault that it isn't working. I hate to be this way but it's the safest in this type of environment.
exactly! definitely learned not to deal with any IT issues. also, maybe because i'm "young and used to it" but it's kinda absurd how people can't google. most of the stuff i know how to do i learned because i had a similar question and went on google

also, it's almost impossible to mess up hooking a computer up!!!!! so long as you know your shapes (which, if you don't, the fuck are you doing at an office?) you will get it to work
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #97
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
AND OKAY NO
what is a "pci cable"?? a pci port is on the motherboard to hook up other stuff internally like graphics cards or expansion cards. which if we're being REALLY pedantic, given this is a brand new machine and given it needs a displayport the motherboard probably doesn't even have legacy pci but probably pci-express.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #98
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Strangely enough, yes. We do create and approve our own PO's. For capital projects, once accounting has approved the funds, no one looks at the paperwork I complete. I create the PO's, make the points of contact with the vendors and contractors, handle all negotiations and determine when the work will be completed, then process the invoices. No one above me approves or reviews my work after other than the actual work that was performed by the contractors that I hire.

Perhaps my work ethic and performance proves that I have no need for supervision, I dunno.
That's both terrifying and hilarious. What a shit show.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
King Rudi13152.00
      04-18-2019, 05:35 AM   #99
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

in such a story for 8 years since 2011.. things are easier in last 2 years though..
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #100
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

Quote:
You and I are so much alike it's scary. I feel like OCD doesn't quite cover it, there needs to be another level to it; perhaps OCD+.

You have no idea how unique that is. I pride myself on it and it's what's gotten me to where I'm at. I'm not a master of an one thing, but there's almost nothing I cant take on and save when someone else finds themselves in trouble. Engineering, manufacturing, IT, Ops, logistics, project management, general leadership. It's a tricky thing to recruit and hire for, but when I find someone like you guys I hire them quick and get them plugged in.

One of my guys started as a part-time contractor 7 years ago. He's now a Director with 2 departments under him. I can point him to anything in any part of the company and it's done. He's the most versatile of my direct reports and I rely on him heavily. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a degree from a fancy school or a bunch of certs so he's under-appreciated by our CEO and CFO who are both MBAs and see that as some sort of prereq for success. I bashed through that through sheer force of will, but my Director is a bit more laid back and so he's likely at the end of his ladder in our company. It's too bad.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer34171.50
tdott3930.50
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      04-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #101
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
You have no idea how unique that is. I pride myself on it and it's what's gotten me to where I'm at. I'm not a master of an one thing, but there's almost nothing I cant take on and save when someone else finds themselves in trouble. Engineering, manufacturing, IT, Ops, logistics, project management, general leadership. It's a tricky thing to recruit and hire for, but when I find someone like you guys I hire them quick and get them plugged in.

One of my guys started as a part-time contractor 7 years ago. He's now a Director with 2 departments under him. I can point him to anything in any part of the company and it's done. He's the most versatile of my direct reports and I rely on him heavily. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a degree from a fancy school or a bunch of certs so he's under-appreciated by our CEO and CFO who are both MBAs and see that as some sort of prereq for success. I bashed through that through sheer force of will, but my Director is a bit more laid back and so he's likely at the end of his ladder in our company. It's too bad.
It saddens me to read something like this because there are so many people who are extremely talented and efficient but don't have the certs/degrees. They are looked over for higher responsibilities and some pencil pusher with no real experience but with certs/degrees of the proper pedigree is placed in a position that they shouldn't be anywhere near. It's tragic and a complete waste of human capital.

Again, I applaud your success and recognition of such a great asset for your organization. Bravo!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
DETRoadster11446.00
Rmtt8206.00
Soul_Glo13284.00
      04-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #102
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
exactly! definitely learned not to deal with any IT issues. also, maybe because i'm "young and used to it" but it's kinda absurd how people can't google. most of the stuff i know how to do i learned because i had a similar question and went on google

also, it's almost impossible to mess up hooking a computer up!!!!! so long as you know your shapes (which, if you don't, the fuck are you doing at an office?) you will get it to work
Interesting morning. Aside from the fact that the E93 wanted to show it's ass this morning by welcoming my day with a SES light shortly accompanied by limp mode on my way in to work; I have spent my morning setting up the aforementioned desktop pc for the "bundle of joy" that I share an office with. Yes, the same employee that has her own thread on here. The lack of monitor cable was due to the machine being a micro which fits behind the monitor. The machine plugs into the monitor directly so there is no need for a cord. Without knowing any of this or bothering to read the instructions, our plant manager drove from his home in Cookeville (30 minutes away from our facility) to Knoxville (an hour the other direction) to buy a cable that wasn't even needed. Once I had the computer set up, it instantly give an error message something to the effect of low voltage unable to initiate start up. Her surge protector had to be at least 20 years old. I supply a new surge protector and it solved the problem.

Out of curiosity I use the old surge protector on her old computer and it yielded the same result as Monday. I used a new surge protector on the old computer and it started right up. Long story short (I know, too late for that) the entire problem was that her surge protector wasn't supplying enough power to start up the old computer. An entire week of IT phone calls, stress, a total of 7 people working on it and ultimately a new pc purchase; but no one bothered to check the power supply.

In all honesty, I'm the asshole here because I should have volunteered my knowledge rather than letting them handle it. I could have saved hours of lost work, the capital spent on a new pc and the plant manager 3 hours of driving for an unneeded cable. Had someone asked, I would have helped but I assumed (yes, I realize what this means) that common sense could have/should have been used by any of the other 6 individuals that had their hands in this.

This is a small sampling of life inside these walls.....for something as simple as a low voltage scenario that could have been remedied by replacing a surge protector. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, feel like I'm an asshole, make fun of other people or start drinking behind my desk.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      04-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #103
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting morning. Aside from the fact that the E93 wanted to show it's ass this morning by welcoming my day with a SES light shortly accompanied by limp mode on my way in to work; I have spent my morning setting up the aforementioned desktop pc for the "bundle of joy" that I share an office with. Yes, the same employee that has her own thread on here. The lack of monitor cable was due to the machine being a micro which fits behind the monitor. The machine plugs into the monitor directly so there is no need for a cord. Without knowing any of this or bothering to read the instructions, our plant manager drove from his home in Cookeville (30 minutes away from our facility) to Knoxville (an hour the other direction) to buy a cable that wasn't even needed. Once I had the computer set up, it instantly give an error message something to the effect of low voltage unable to initiate start up. Her surge protector had to be at least 20 years old. I supply a new surge protector and it solved the problem.

Out of curiosity I use the old surge protector on her old computer and it yielded the same result as Monday. I used a new surge protector on the old computer and it started right up. Long story short (I know, too late for that) the entire problem was that her surge protector wasn't supplying enough power to start up the old computer. An entire week of IT phone calls, stress, a total of 7 people working on it and ultimately a new pc purchase; but no one bothered to check the power supply.

In all honesty, I'm the asshole here because I should have volunteered my knowledge rather than letting them handle it. I could have saved hours of lost work, the capital spent on a new pc and the plant manager 3 hours of driving for an unneeded cable. Had someone asked, I would have helped but I assumed (yes, I realize what this means) that common sense could have/should have been used by any of the other 6 individuals that had their hands in this.

This is a small sampling of life inside these walls.....for something as simple as a low voltage scenario that could have been remedied by replacing a surge protector. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, feel like I'm an asshole, make fun of other people or start drinking behind my desk.
damn man sorry to hear that about your car - but i don't think you're the asshole. literally not your problem for their failure to solve the problem properly

if anything you're nicer than i am, i wouldn't have helped mrs. bathroom sink
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #104
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
It saddens me to read something like this because there are so many people who are extremely talented and efficient but don't have the certs/degrees. They are looked over for higher responsibilities and some pencil pusher with no real experience but with certs/degrees of the proper pedigree is placed in a position that they shouldn't be anywhere near. It's tragic and a complete waste of human capital.

Again, I applaud your success and recognition of such a great asset for your organization. Bravo!
It's only because I came up the same way. Always a bit of an underdog; never one for school. I did well in school but just sitting there in class, "learning" but not "doing" was brutal. If it weren't for my parents (Both PhD's) pushing me along in highschool and college, I'd more than likely have ended up in a blue collar job doing something with my hands. I got out of college as fast as humanly possible, took my engineering degree, and immediately went into the least appreciated of all engineering roles: Service Engineering. Instead of sitting behind a CAD terminal deigning parts all day I was in the shop taking things apart, analyzing why they failed, and figuring out how to make them better. I quickly learned that the men and women on the plant floor, who don't have a day of college under their belts, are often times the most talented people in the room.

I once worked for an extremely well known company in New England that made some very cool, groundbreaking, products. I was managing the Sustaining Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering groups at the time. The Product Development team was staffed and lead by MIT grads, Harvard grads, etc. Extraordinarily smart and completely full of themselves. Many of these dudes later went on to work at Apple, Tesla, Google, etc. Anyway, one of my service techs was frustrated with a particular electrical connector corroding; a condition that could lead to a dangerous accident for the product user. I went up to the Product Development "palace" as we called it, and chatted with the head of electrical engineering. "That's impossible" be told me. The connectors are gold plated, they cannot and will not ever corrode. If I has $1 for every time a full of himself engineer told me his part would never fail..... I said "I understand what you are saying but I'm telling you not only is it not impossible, I have one downstairs right now. Follow me, let's go look." He refused. He was so full of himself and so arrogant that he couldn't be bothered to get up from his God Damn desk and go look at a problem that could cause our customer serious harm. Frustrated, I went down to the shop, grabbed the part, and dropped it on the dude's desk. His eyes got real big as he looked at it. "This cant happen! How can this happen" This should not be possible." Yeah dude, how about you listen to the men and women who repair this product ever single day. No they arent MIT Engineering school grads but it doesn't matter. They literally know this product better than you do.

I have no time for arrogance. You earn my respect through what you do, not through what you studied.
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
Rmtt8206.00
      04-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #105
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
damn man sorry to hear that about your car - but i don't think you're the asshole. literally not your problem for their failure to solve the problem properly

if anything you're nicer than i am, i wouldn't have helped mrs. bathroom sink
It's all good. It's just a car. It will get fixed by either researching the codes here and a little DIY or taking it to a mechanic.

As for work, the way I see things are from a CEO's perspective. If I was the owner and knew that funds were spent on a new piece of equipment when someone who is sitting 10 feet away could have fixed it, I'd be upset. I did mention in our production meeting that if someone has an issue to please come speak with me first before we exhaust funds, loss of productivity, etc. on something simple.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      04-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #106
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I have no time for arrogance. You earn my respect through what you do, not through what you studied.
THIS!!!! All day long!
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      04-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #107
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
It's only because I came up the same way. Always a bit of an underdog; never one for school. I did well in school but just sitting there in class, "learning" but not "doing" was brutal. If it weren't for my parents (Both PhD's) pushing me along in highschool and college, I'd more than likely have ended up in a blue collar job doing something with my hands. I got out of college as fast as humanly possible, took my engineering degree, and immediately went into the least appreciated of all engineering roles: Service Engineering. Instead of sitting behind a CAD terminal deigning parts all day I was in the shop taking things apart, analyzing why they failed, and figuring out how to make them better. I quickly learned that the men and women on the plant floor, who don't have a day of college under their belts, are often times the most talented people in the room.

I once worked for an extremely well known company in New England that made some very cool, groundbreaking, products. I was managing the Sustaining Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering groups at the time. The Product Development team was staffed and lead by MIT grads, Harvard grads, etc. Extraordinarily smart and completely full of themselves. Many of these dudes later went on to work at Apple, Tesla, Google, etc. Anyway, one of my service techs was frustrated with a particular electrical connector corroding; a condition that could lead to a dangerous accident for the product user. I went up to the Product Development "palace" as we called it, and chatted with the head of electrical engineering. "That's impossible" be told me. The connectors are gold plated, they cannot and will not ever corrode. If I has $1 for every time a full of himself engineer told me his part would never fail..... I said "I understand what you are saying but I'm telling you not only is it not impossible, I have one downstairs right now. Follow me, let's go look." He refused. He was so full of himself and so arrogant that he couldn't be bothered to get up from his God Damn desk and go look at a problem that could cause our customer serious harm. Frustrated, I went down to the shop, grabbed the part, and dropped it on the dude's desk. His eyes got real big as he looked at it. "This cant happen! How can this happen" This should not be possible." Yeah dude, how about you listen to the men and women who repair this product ever single day. No they arent MIT Engineering school grads but it doesn't matter. They literally know this product better than you do.

We have similar stories growing up. I think that's why you and I understand each other so well. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been in situations where some theoretician thought something was perfect/infallible only to have it blow up in their faces...sometimes literally. Always ask the end user and techs how things are, objectively. I can guarantee they thought of some situation or have seen some situation the exalted designer didn't foresee and therefore didn't plan for that contingency.

Cheers, my friend-MK
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      04-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #108
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That is exactly why I spend as much of my time on the plant floor as possible. Sure we have "bad apples", but we also have others who have invaluable experience that they can share.

The biggest problem we have is communication. I can go to 3 different people and get 3 different stories. Only when I get them all together does the truth start to come out.

But my biggest pet peeve is money. Most of the managers here have the attitude that it isn't their money. I look at it like I am a "Steward" of the company, so I treat it like it's my personal money being spent.

And I am one cheap bastard!
MKSixer34171.50
      04-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #109
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

ooooh man, have you ever had the misfortune of interacting with CS kids?
holy hell i've never met a bunch of useless people. like, grats you can code!

Quote:
It's all good. It's just a car. It will get fixed by either researching the codes here and a little DIY or taking it to a mechanic.

As for work, the way I see things are from a CEO's perspective. If I was the owner and knew that funds were spent on a new piece of equipment when someone who is sitting 10 feet away could have fixed it, I'd be upset. I did mention in our production meeting that if someone has an issue to please come speak with me first before we exhaust funds, loss of productivity, etc. on something simple.
oh man, my dad mentions this all the time. he was working in our city until 2011, then started working weekdays in another city because some business deal, and kinda handed the office to a business associate.

what did the guy do? go all out, i'm talking refurbish the whole office and it's not like my dad worked on a folding table, either. with that all the other employees started spending money too. you know the binders you see at staples and go "wow that's a cool binder"? those were used to file random stuff... it's easy to spend money that's not yours but my dad always says the ones who do are rarely the ones who get promotions

he says he managed to return stuff to usual in 2017 - he returned to the office in 2013... two years to mess it up, 4 years to clean it
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #110
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
ooooh man, have you ever had the misfortune of interacting with CS kids?
holy hell i've never met a bunch of useless people. like, grats you can code
Yes, I managed a couple of software development teams at two previous jobs. Thankfully both times they were for new products and I was able to hand pick/hire my team. Took a while but I got some great guys. Arrogant coders with no social skills need not apply. Same applies for engineers. I'll take an engineer (software or otherwise) who is a 7 out of 10 in skillset and can interact seamlessly with the rest of the company any day over a 10/10 coding genius who sits in a dark corner in his own filth, covered in Doritos dust and head lice.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00