New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

XPEL Tint

With a car like the MKIV Supra which is quickly becoming a rare collectors item with a cult enthusiast following I want to do everything I can to protect my investment! The interior of the car took a beating from 25 years of sun and heat exposure that caused warping and discoloration in some areas. I decided to replace the entire dashboard and airbag cover with OEM parts which are getting equally as rare/expensive, and they aint making any more.

Now that I have the parts to make my interior look brand new again I want to prevent a repeat of the damage that forced me to replace it to begin with…the Sun! For this reason I chose not to go with just any tint film, I specifically needed tint with strong UV and IR blocking technology. ‘XPEL Prime XR Plus’ rejects up to 98% heat transmission as well as 99% of UVA and UVB rays through multilayer nano-ceramic particle technology. It’s like having a pop out sunshade on your windows at all times! I was also looking for clear film for the windshield; luckily XPEL makes film from completely opaque all the way to limo darkness.

I had figured out the product I wanted; now I had to find a dealer/installer so I started asking around friends and forums. I received a unanimous recommendation to call Brett at All American Paint Protection in Rockville MD, just a short drive from home on the south side of DC.

AAPP is a really cool shop! I had made an appointment to wait as they applied the tint so I had some time to take some pictures (below). They have a very nicely designed/decorated lobby and waiting area complete with Keurig, Biscotti cookies, and Big screen TV with a selection of great movies! Luckily, I got to tour the shop area as well which revealed that I wasn’t the only person bringing my collectors car to them! They had a GT3 RS, C7 Z06, and Tesla Model X getting full XPEL PPF, A7 getting hail damage repaired, RS3 getting front-clip PPF, a multitude of cars getting various polishes/detailing, and a brand new M2C getting a ‘track package’ PPF application. I was interested in what the track package entailed and Bret said it was one of their best sellers because its much more affordable than a full body PPF that instead focuses on all areas of the car that are most vulnerable to paint damage from hard driving. The track package covers the front bumper, leading edge of hood, fenders, and lower portions of the rear quarters.

Lots of cool stuff going on at AAPP, just tint for me that day but I’ll definitely be back for some PPF in the future. I decided on 35% all around and clear for the windshield. With a black car, properly tinted windows are a must in my opinion! She turned out great and it only took a little over an hour…I kind of wanted to stick around so I could finish my movie and have some more coffee! Now that the car has the tint on it looks measurably better! We are entering the gloomy winter months here in D.C. so I wont feel the primary benefits for a few months. From what I’m told by friends who have the same tint package, in the summer the heat reduction in the interior is drastic! The unseen blocking of UV rays is what I was really going for because I can rest assured my new OE dashboard will be protected for the next 25 years!

Overall it was a high-end shop and experience for a high end product and it’s worth every penny! If you are in the D.C. or Baltimore area I would highly recommend checking out AAPP for any detailing, paint repair/protection, or tint/PPF needs. If you are interested in XPEL tint or PPF, check out their website for a dealer/installer near you.

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 5
XPEL343.00
Fakemike368.50
jmg18493.00
3798j11167.00
      12-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

Nice Mark IV. I still have a very nice really low mileage MK III.
Appreciate 1
Curt20001013.00
      12-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

I have the same tint on my truck, I like the way the tint turned out on my vehicle and seeing yours look so clean just reminds me of the day I had mine installed. Best of all it self heals if you get a scratch on it. Congratulations on your Supra, it looks like a super clean build.
Appreciate 1
Curt20001013.00
      12-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

XPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
With a car like the MKIV Supra which is quickly becoming a rare collectors item with a cult enthusiast following I want to do everything I can to protect my investment! The interior of the car took a beating from 25 years of sun and heat exposure that caused warping and discoloration in some areas. I decided to replace the entire dashboard and airbag cover with OEM parts which are getting equally as rare/expensive, and they aint making any more.

Now that I have the parts to make my interior look brand new again I want to prevent a repeat of the damage that forced me to replace it to begin with…the Sun! For this reason I chose not to go with just any tint film, I specifically needed tint with strong UV and IR blocking technology. ‘XPEL Prime XR Plus’ rejects up to 98% heat transmission as well as 99% of UVA and UVB rays through multilayer nano-ceramic particle technology. It’s like having a pop out sunshade on your windows at all times! I was also looking for clear film for the windshield; luckily XPEL makes film from completely opaque all the way to limo darkness.

I had figured out the product I wanted; now I had to find a dealer/installer so I started asking around friends and forums. I received a unanimous recommendation to call Brett at All American Paint Protection in Rockville MD, just a short drive from home on the south side of DC.

AAPP is a really cool shop! I had made an appointment to wait as they applied the tint so I had some time to take some pictures (below). They have a very nicely designed/decorated lobby and waiting area complete with Keurig, Biscotti cookies, and Big screen TV with a selection of great movies! Luckily, I got to tour the shop area as well which revealed that I wasn’t the only person bringing my collectors car to them! They had a GT3 RS, C7 Z06, and Tesla Model X getting full XPEL PPF, A7 getting hail damage repaired, RS3 getting front-clip PPF, a multitude of cars getting various polishes/detailing, and a brand new M2C getting a ‘track package’ PPF application. I was interested in what the track package entailed and Bret said it was one of their best sellers because its much more affordable than a full body PPF that instead focuses on all areas of the car that are most vulnerable to paint damage from hard driving. The track package covers the front bumper, leading edge of hood, fenders, and lower portions of the rear quarters.

Lots of cool stuff going on at AAPP, just tint for me that day but I’ll definitely be back for some PPF in the future. I decided on 35% all around and clear for the windshield. With a black car, properly tinted windows are a must in my opinion! She turned out great and it only took a little over an hour…I kind of wanted to stick around so I could finish my movie and have some more coffee! Now that the car has the tint on it looks measurably better! We are entering the gloomy winter months here in D.C. so I wont feel the primary benefits for a few months. From what I’m told by friends who have the same tint package, in the summer the heat reduction in the interior is drastic! The unseen blocking of UV rays is what I was really going for because I can rest assured my new OE dashboard will be protected for the next 25 years!

Overall it was a high-end shop and experience for a high end product and it’s worth every penny! If you are in the D.C. or Baltimore area I would highly recommend checking out AAPP for any detailing, paint repair/protection, or tint/PPF needs. If you are interested in XPEL tint or PPF, check out their website for a dealer/installer near you.
Thank you for choosing XPEL, we appreciate your support.
Appreciate 1
Curt20001013.00
      12-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
Nice Mark IV. I still have a very nice really low mileage MK III.
very cool, both great cars/motors!

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW View Post
I have the same tint on my truck, I like the way the tint turned out on my vehicle and seeing yours look so clean just reminds me of the day I had mine installed. Best of all it self heals if you get a scratch on it. Congratulations on your Supra, it looks like a super clean build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW View Post
Awesome technology, self healing!

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Thank you for choosing XPEL, we appreciate your support.
Thanks! about to take her back in for PPF!

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
chatoyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2021 X3 m40i

Looks great! I had the same tint installed on my 435 last year and am about to get it done on my M4 this spring. Very nice product.
Appreciate 1
XPEL343.00
      02-17-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
Looks great! I had the same tint installed on my 435 last year and am about to get it done on my M4 this spring. Very nice product.
I agree, Im about to take her in for a full stealth PPF now!

Appreciate 1
XPEL343.00
      02-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

XPEL

Quote:
Can't wait to see the photos! Thank you for choosing XPEL STEALTH
Appreciate 1
Curt20001013.00
      02-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #11
tb's e90
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: f82

very cool!

I live nearby and will be getting my m4 tinted soon. In the past I have taken my cars to a shop in kensington that was inexpensive (I think my e92 m3 was $140?) and they always did good work. that said, this is intriguing. if you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to have your supra done?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #12
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Quote:
Can't wait to see the photos! Thank you for choosing XPEL STEALTH
So close! Pictures this weekend

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb's e90 View Post
very cool!

I live nearby and will be getting my m4 tinted soon. In the past I have taken my cars to a shop in kensington that was inexpensive (I think my e92 m3 was $140?) and they always did good work. that said, this is intriguing. if you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to have your supra done?

thanks!
It's definitely more than the standard 3M tint due to the UV benefits but totally worth it!

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 07:01 PM   #14
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E30

Resurrecting an old thread, but hopefully I can get some clarity.

Does XPEL make a clear film for XR Plus line? The OP said they went clear on the windshield, but I’m only seeing 70 as the lightest they make.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 12:07 AM   #15
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I specifically needed tint with strong UV and IR blocking technology. ‘XPEL Prime XR Plus’ rejects up to 98% heat transmission as well as 99% of UVA and UVB rays through multilayer nano-ceramic particle technology.
Sure, like, if that was actually true, then when you get back to your car it would be 60 degrees inside when it was 110F outside. Such bullshit.