New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

Idea for a website

So I'm sitting here watching PBS news hour and thinking to myself when was the last time I donated or made a contribution to PBS? Then I got thinking about other organizations that I donate or are a member of including consumer reports, NRA , children's miracle network, Shriners, etc. The problem is I'm often so busy I forget to donate on a regular basis or my subscription runs out and I don't renew. If there was a website they could manage the organizations and companies I donate to or sub scribe to I would sign up. You can thank me later for the million dollar idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
So I'm sitting here watching PBS news hour and thinking to myself when was the last time I donated or made a contribution to PBS? Then I got thinking about other organizations that I donate or are a member of including consumer reports, NRA , children's miracle network, Shriners, etc. The problem is I'm often so busy I forget to donate on a regular basis or my subscription runs out and I don't renew. If there was a website they could manage the organizations and companies I donate to or sub scribe to I would sign up. You can thank me later for the million dollar idea.
Wasnt there some guy here who had an app for that exact same thing but it was for shit you never forget like tags and insurance.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Wow, you must be doing something right. The places I support or have supported in the past bombard me with reminder emails. I couldn't forget them if I tried.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Wow, you must be doing something right. The places I support or have supported in the past bombard me with reminder emails. I couldn't forget them if I tried.
This. There are a couple I gave to 5-10 years ago when someone asked that still send mail, which pisses me off. Making a donation was the equivalent of paying for years of junk mail. So now I only donate to a small handful in hopes they can do something more meaningful with the money than send me shit asking for more money.

Also, there is give.org and I'm sure some others doing what OP described. I'm not sure how they work, but guessing the charity needs to share some of the donation with the website so that many be a turnoff to some, depending on how they already operate.
      12-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
MChat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: '16 M3 (en route)

Garage List
Sweet idea. I'm imagining a simple user interface where you can put in re-occurring appointments/dates. You could even put in everyone's birth dates, anniversaries and such. Of course not every entry has to be re-occurring, that way you could add one-time appointments such as doctor appointments and service appointments.

And you could call it Google Calendar

2016 BMW M3 (stock)
2005 Jeep LJ (slightly modified)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: VO 1M

I tried to develop this idea years ago...basically a clearing house or aggregator for charities. Dealing with not-for-profits is a difficult road...didn't get off the ground in the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
This... I had to change numbers since I was getting calls every 3 days for donating blood, and I had to use a fake number thereafter since... Being an O- doesn't exactly help ward them off either. Sure gives a new meaning to "they want blood, mothafucka!"
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #8
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
seriously, i have to get shit in writing from organizations that if i donate to them that i DON'T want any marketing or sharing of my info each and everytime i donate to them. Considering that i send a decent coin to them every year they cleaned up their act and i don't get the junk mail. But each time you interact with them... they can auto Opt-in to all their crap so you must stay vigilant with them and any business you share your info with. Freak'n marketing people suck azz
Appreciate 0