New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

If can spend 90k on a car, can't think of why it wouldn't be a Tesla

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Test drove one the other day. Let's put all the environmental tree hugging talk aside, this car is the future.

The power is awesome! It's like my M3 at 8,000 RPM but not having to wait even a second for the power to arrive.

After driving a Tesla, you would think having to rev a car to get power is so 1980's!

The fact you don't have to put gas in it and no moving parts to maintain or break just makes you feel like anything else is just last century.

You're also sticking it to the traditional stealership way of buying/servicing cars, giving the middle finger to big oil and OPEC.

Can't think of why any one would buy any other car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Because maybe I'd like yo drive cross country
Maybe I'd like to drive to LA from the bay area
Maybe I'd like to pass up cars while already driving at 60+mph
Maybe I'd like to go on a track and do MORE than 1 lap
Maybe I'd like to be able to drive on the canyon roads and have some fun
Maybe I don't like the idea of running out of power in the back of my head with less than 40mile range, and decided I'd like to drive some more with out having to find a charging station
Maybe I'd like my sedan to weigh less than 5000lbs
Appreciate 14
      07-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '23 M440i GC

I still enjoy hearing the hum of an engine and the roar they make when you're at WOT. Yes these things make instant torque and the power created by them is extraordinary but it just doesn't do it for me.

I do enjoy driving the i3, Teslas, etc but it's just not for me at this point in life. Maybe once I'm 65 years of age and don't care too much about cars anymore. MAYBE.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Well, there's a lot of draw backs to Tesla.

They advertise it as a "performance" car yet it can't do a lot of things a regular performance car can.

- Can't run a lap at the track without overheating
- Handles like crap - no steering response, too heavy and huge to be nimble
- Fast from 0-60 but is a dog after that - it gets smoked by cars half its price after 100mph.
- Runs out of range fast when you drive fast
- Lack of charging options when traveling

It's great as a daily commuter car... but as a "fun" car, it is not.
      07-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Maybe because I could buy a GT4 with that money
Appreciate 11
      07-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Maybe I don't like the idea of running out of power in the back of my head with less than 40mile range, and decided I'd like to drive some more with out having to find a charging station
-How often have you driven cross country? With Supercharging stations, you can actually do that without shelling out $$ for gas.

-With a 1/4 mile trap speeds of 112MPH, I don't think high speed passing is a problem.

-If you want a track car, you don't have to spend $90K.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I can stop my car in any town across the US for a 2 minute fill up.

There are a ton of other reasons why I'd rather never own one, but that's the biggie.
      07-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik View Post
-How often have you driven cross country? With Supercharging stations, you can actually do that without shelling out $$ for gas.

-With a 1/4 mile trap speeds of 112MPH, I don't think high speed passing is a problem.

Yes, it may not have to be a track car but I'd still like something fun I can take up a twisty mountain road or have something that has some FEEL to it. The Tesla Model S has less feel than a VW GTI. Arguably it is less fun to drive as well.
      07-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: something with 4 wheels

Quote:
With Supercharging stations, you can actually do that without shelling out $$ for gas.
New York to LA is 2791 miles.
265 mile range on the Tesla.
You have to stop 11 times to charge the battery.
The trip is ~42 hours of driving.
Add in the 11 hours of charging.
The trip is now ~26% longer in duration.
You've added 1-1.5 days of driving for the typical driver.

That's all assuming that you've taken the time to meticulously plan out your route in order to hit supercharging stations exactly when you need them. Any issues and you're stuck spending hours to get enough charge to make it to a supercharging station (110-volt outlet gives you 5 miles of range per hour of charging). You also cannot take any route you want to in order to do/see things along the way because you're limited to the locations of the supercharging stations.

Sounds like an incredibly shitty journey to me. But hey.... you save a few $$$ in gas so its totally worth it.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
csu87
Banned
Rep

Drives: 09 335xi

the 265 range is what kills it for me.

I have about a 270-280 range in my 335 with straight e85, but atleast I can fill up with 93 if i have to. And i can find e85 much easier than a tesla charging station.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
New York to LA is 2791 miles.
265 mile range on the Tesla.
You have to stop 11 times to charge the battery.
The trip is ~42 hours of driving.
Add in the 11 hours of charging.
The trip is now ~26% longer in duration.
You've added 1-1.5 days of driving for the typical driver.

That's all assuming that you've taken the time to meticulously plan out your route in order to hit supercharging stations exactly when you need them. Any issues and you're stuck spending hours to get enough charge to make it to a supercharging station (110-volt outlet gives you 5 miles of range per hour of charging). You also cannot take any route you want to in order to do/see things along the way because you're limited to the locations of the supercharging stations.

Sounds like an incredibly shitty journey to me. But hey.... you save a few $$$ in gas so its totally worth it.
Maybe they'll invent a car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter of another car and you can do a "mid-flight refuel"
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #12
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
You can drive cross country. Charging stations are everywhere.
LA to bay area, not familiar with that route.
Passing isn't much of an issue at 60. Go look at some reviews, like for the new 70D model.
The car was NEVER made to compete on the track. NEVER. Go buy a Miata or BRZ/FRS or VW Rabbit. Its a family car that just happens to have amazing 0-60 times because of its electric motors. Please read about Tesla instead of blabbing like everyone else about racing around a track.
It handles fairly well for how heavy it is, so you can still have a little fun.
Yes, running out of juice is a buzz kill but thats the chance you take if you go out for an adventure.
I'd like to have a sedan weigh less than 3k full of fuel and oils. Like an SS but weigh under 3k....

Quote:

Tesla has talked about swapping batteries at charging stations. I don't know if they are doing that 100% now but they've said "Swapping a dead battery for a fully charged one takes less time than filling up a gas powered vehicle". Which is better than waiting for it to charge, even with a supercharger.

They don't have bad passing times anymore. I would love to own a Tesla but theres no reason for me to have own. I still love the old gas powered engine feel.

Oh and by the way, Tesla charging stations are FREE. Unless you do the battery swap, then thats like $70 or something like that. And you ever truly give the middle finger to oil companies.....how do all of those parts get to Tesla's production facility? Not by electric vehicles.

Last edited by Vigilante375; 07-14-2015 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
You can drive cross country. Charging stations are everywhere.
LA to bay area, not familiar with that route.
Passing isn't much of an issue at 60. Go look at some reviews, like for the new 70D model.
The car was NEVER made to compete on the track. NEVER. Go buy a Miata or BRZ/FRS or VW Rabbit. Its a family car that just happens to have amazing 0-60 times because of its electric motors. Please read about Tesla instead of blabbing like everyone else about racing around a track.
It handles fairly well for how heavy it is, so you can still have a little fun.
Yes, running out of juice is a buzz kill but thats the chance you take if you go out for an adventure.
I'd like to have a sedan weigh less than 3k full of fuel and oils. Like an SS but weigh under 3k....

Tesla has talked about swapping batteries at charging stations. I don't know if they are doing that 100% now but they've said "Swapping a dead battery for a fully charged one takes less time than filling up a gas powered vehicle". Which is better than waiting for it to charge, even with a supercharger.

They don't have bad passing times anymore. I would love to own a Tesla but theres no reason for me to have own. I still love the old gas powered engine feel.

Oh and by the way, Tesla charging stations are FREE. Unless you do the battery swap, then thats like $70 or something like that. And you ever truly give the middle finger to oil companies.....how do all of those parts get to Tesla's production facility? Not by electric vehicles.
The battery swap is an interesting debate. If ever time you stop to charge and you decide instead to swap the battery, you're looking at $70 a stop, correct? That adds up pretty quickly compared to a fill up when gas is like $3 a gallon. Don't see that as a good deal.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #14
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Few and diffrent

Tesla wont be big for a while. If electric cars were so in demand. I think honda and especialy toyota ( largest car company in the world) would be working on there electric vehicles by now. They dont see the point for now maybe in like 50+ years from now on... electric vehicles would be popular. For now its a waist of money and time... all night for it to charge and you can only drive about 30 miles and you have to pay for the electric bill like crazy . I know a guy who traded his old tesla for p85d. And he told me about the charging .
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
sonystyle02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 AMG GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Well, looks like my mode of transportation no longer transports. My fault for using it...
      07-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #16
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335xi View Post
Tesla wont be big for a while. If electric cars were so in demand. I think honda and especialy toyota ( largest car company in the world) would be working on there electric vehicles by now. They dont see the point for now maybe in like 50+ years from now on... electric vehicles would be popular. For now its a waist of money and time... all night for it to charge and you can only drive about 30 miles and you have to pay for the electric bill like crazy . I know a guy who traded his old tesla for p85d. And he told me about the charging .
Economy of scale, but it will get better. What blows my mind is to see the technology out there and working, even in Alaska where I live. Compared to 15 years ago when it was just a pipe dream and the attempts were half done and not practical in the real world. While not perfect, we dreamed of something that worked as good as the tesla that many years ago.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #17
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik
Test drove one the other day. Let's put all the environmental tree hugging talk aside, this car is the future.

The power is awesome! It's like my M3 at 8,000 RPM but not having to wait even a second for the power to arrive.

After driving a Tesla, you would think having to rev a car to get power is so 1980's!

The fact you don't have to put gas in it and no moving parts to maintain or break just makes you feel like anything else is just last century.

You're also sticking it to the traditional stealership way of buying/servicing cars, giving the middle finger to big oil and OPEC.

Can't think of why any one would buy any other car.
Because it is my money and I don't want to spend it on a tesla. And congratulations on your newly purchase, the M3 will find a new home soon. ;-)
      07-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
ethanjoon
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 335xi 6MT, E90 330i 6MT

Maybe because I prefer the sound of my golf cart over the sound produced by a Model S Test drove one and couldn't wait to get out. I also hate the center stack and wouldn't be able to live with it, along with the emptiness of the lower area of the console.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Would be gt4 or used gt3 if i could find at that price. Cup car also doable there
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #20
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
well....you could just buy a car that actually has some more balls under 6k RPM :P
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #21
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep

Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

All because Tesla interior is like a Honda Civic DX
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #22
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335xi View Post
If you get a chance watch who killed the electric car
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0