New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

09-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
rangeseeker
Rep

Drives: 435i M Sport

Considering buying an E39 5 Series with oil and coolant leaks

Hey guys. I know the title might be alarming, but I've got the opportunity to buy an E39 super cheap. The owner says the car leaks a lot of oil and coolant, and that it leaks enough oil that it can't be driven. The battery is also dead so I'll take one with me to hear the engine run.

Could I buy it and fix it up or is it possible the issue would cost thousands in parts? I'm a Industrial mechanic (non-vehicle stuff) so I can do almost anything, though I don't have an an engine hoist or other tools like that for bigger jobs.

What do you guys think? What should I look for?
      09-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

-mileage
- 540 / 530 or 528
- model year

Sounds like you're into a lot of DIY work; leaking oil pan on 528/530 requires support motor and remove subframe to pull pan.

Common leak points are valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets.

You would be smart to compression/leakdown test the motor- get a read in condition of piston rings and valves. Be cautious with car this age that seems to not have been well cared for- you could very easily be into lots of work, and $$$
Appreciate 1