New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-15-2023, 09:22 AM   #67
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The part that I find extra hilarious is all the hate for the "rich" people supposedly scamming the system with their sneaky loopholes. Instead those sneaky fucks should give their money to the sneakiest, laziest, richest, most corrupt sob of all... the rich asshole who created all the loopholes in the first place... the government!
No, the hate is loopholes are setup for the rich.
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 1
RM72892.50
      12-15-2023, 11:45 AM   #68
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
How many times do you have to lie to your state and your insurance company when they ask where the vehicle is "garaged"? And could that eventually void your insurance in the event of a claim?
Insurance doesn't care. People aren't using montana plates for daily drivers through state farm or progressive. Companies like Hagerty and Grundy are well aware of the montana thing and have step by step guides walking their clients through it so they can register in MT and keep insurance where they live.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 12:09 PM   #69
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Insurance doesn't care. People aren't using montana plates for daily drivers through state farm or progressive. Companies like Hagerty and Grundy are well aware of the montana thing and have step by step guides walking their clients through it so they can register in MT and keep insurance where they live.
Insurance absolutely does care when it comes to insuring a 6 figure car. They will look to every avenue to avoid paying on an expensive car. You'd best be honest with your insurance about where the car is garaged and primarily used. Don't believe me? Do some research and not solely info from the firms that assist those with the Montana LLC thing. They will tell you what you want to hear in order to take your money. They only know Montana law.
      12-15-2023, 12:57 PM   #70
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Rep

Drives: germans

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.83]
I have 2 cars currently registered in MT, adding another one next week for a whopping combined $67k in appraised value. Cars are garaged in CA at my business. I live in PA. Hagerty has them insured knowing all of this.
1994 318i - alpine white / Super Touring Project
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 02:05 PM   #71
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Insurance absolutely does care when it comes to insuring a 6 figure car. They will look to every avenue to avoid paying on an expensive car. You'd best be honest with your insurance about where the car is garaged and primarily used. Don't believe me? Do some research and not solely info from the firms that assist those with the Montana LLC thing. They will tell you what you want to hear in order to take your money. They only know Montana law.
GEICO will cover MT LLC cars as long as you notify them it’s registered there under the LLC that you own.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 02:54 PM   #72
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Would 49 be considered "a youngster". I work on the risk evaluation side of US and international mergers and acquisitions, thus I need a fairly good understanding of how LLCs, Inc., etc. work and the legal protections and implications.

We're not talking about how governments manage their tax revenues. We're talking about wealthy individuals gaming the system.
So you contributing to a 401k - is that “gaming” the system?
Poor folk definitely can’t afford that. How about a 529 plan for your poor Junior so he can go to college?
Point is where do you draw the line with rich/wealth and regular folks. Everyone can use these tax advantages. Its called Google or paying a CPA / tax attorney for advice.

BTW no entity games the system more than the Government. They create new policies all the time to raise tax revenue.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 02:59 PM   #73
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Regular people don't have car collections. The wealthy do. So many of you are out of touch with reality.

SMH
I Personally know many regular people with car collections of 3-5 cars. I’m one of them. Some have up to 10.

I suggest you travel to all 50 states and see that regular folks love cars.
Just like regular folks collect art, watches, antiques, baseball cards etc.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6069.00
      01-15-2024, 04:30 PM   #74
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
I Personally know many regular people with car collections of 3-5 cars. I’m one of them. Some have up to 10.

3-5 is not a "collection"

Regular middle class people with 10 cars, huh? They must be rollers, old junk that needs a restore etc. That's not what I mean. I could go buy 10 $500 cars too. That's a junkyard, not a collection
Appreciate 1
RM72892.50
      01-15-2024, 08:00 PM   #75
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Regular middle class people with 10 cars, huh? They must be rollers, old junk that needs a restore etc. That's not what I mean. I could go buy 10 $500 cars too. That's a junkyard, not a collection
My 20 BMWs in my state costs me very little, but then the newest is a 2013. Once they hit a certain age I pay no property tax and I can get a lifetime vintage registration on them once they hit 25-years old.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:04 PM   #76
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
3-5 is not a "collection"

^Truth.
      01-16-2024, 03:17 PM   #77
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
My 20 BMWs in my state costs me very little, but then the newest is a 2013. Once they hit a certain age I pay no property tax and I can get a lifetime vintage registration on them once they hit 25-years old.
I don't know how you do it. I own 5 cars (2020 Mazda 3, 2020 4runner, 2016 M235, 2015 Outback, 2011 Cayman) though two are technically my kid's. I maintain all of them and I wouldn't want to maintain any more cars than this, no matter how much money I have. Insurance, maintenance and repairs, property tax, etc. adds up and you constantly feel like you're paying for something every few weeks. We easily have the money for all of this and all cars are paid for, but I have no desire to spend money like this so often. I like working on cars a lot, but not the expense of so many (the kid's do help pay and I teach them how to work on their cars). I can't imagine maintaining a large number of 10 y/o cars. I guess most people that have "collections" aren't really car guys anyways, in the sense that they actually know how to work on a car, much less even know how a car really works (not saying this is you). They essentially just like cars and don't have a passion for them.
      01-16-2024, 03:20 PM   #78
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how you do it. I own 5 cars (2020 Mazda 3, 2020 4runner, 2016 M235, 2015 Outback, 2011 Cayman) though two are technically my kid's. I maintain all of them and I wouldn't want to maintain any more cars than this, no matter how much money I have. Insurance, maintenance and repairs, property tax, etc. adds up and you constantly feel like you're paying for something every few weeks. We easily have the money for all of this and all cars are paid for, but I have no desire to spend money like this. I like working on cars a lot, but not the expense. I can't imagine maintaining a large number of 10 y/o cars. I guess most people that have "collections" aren't really car guys anyways, in the sense that they actually know how to work on a car, much less even know how a car really works (not saying this is you).
I hear you on that one. 4 in our house now (Just the wife and I). However, I want more toys, but don't want to work on them anymore LOL.

Oh well, I'll keep doing it till I physically cannot. Then hope I can afford to pay someone trustworthy to do it. There are too many toys I still want to add. It's a sickness, I tell ya! My main problem right now is no room for anymore. Guess I'll have to wait till we buy our next home.
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 09:59 PM   #79
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep

Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post

Don't bother with them. They don't get it. If they ever went to a car show and talked to the owners, there's tons of people with all sorts of interesting things.
      01-19-2024, 10:50 AM   #80
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
I don't know how you do it. I own 5 cars (2020 Mazda 3, 2020 4runner, 2016 M235, 2015 Outback, 2011 Cayman) though two are technically my kid's. I maintain all of them and I wouldn't want to maintain any more cars than this, no matter how much money I have. Insurance, maintenance and repairs, property tax, etc. adds up and you constantly feel like you're paying for something every few weeks. We easily have the money for all of this and all cars are paid for, but I have no desire to spend money like this so often. I like working on cars a lot, but not the expense of so many (the kid's do help pay and I teach them how to work on their cars). I can't imagine maintaining a large number of 10 y/o cars. I guess most people that have "collections" aren't really car guys anyways, in the sense that they actually know how to work on a car, much less even know how a car really works (not saying this is you). They essentially just like cars and don't have a passion for them.
I wouldn’t say people with a bunch of cars aren’t car people because they don’t work on them? I’m a car nut and don’t change my own oil😄. If you’re lucky enough to have a sick collection of exotics, most people are not working on those!! Wish I was in that club!! My M4 get worked on by VAC/458 is a Ferrari mechanic and the GTR goes to Sean Ivey. I would say it’s 50/50 on guys who love cars and also do their own work. Maybe that’s way off
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 12:12 PM   #81
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
I wouldn’t say people with a bunch of cars aren’t car people because they don’t work on them? I’m a car nut and don’t change my own oil😄. If you’re lucky enough to have a sick collection of exotics, most people are not working on those!! Wish I was in that club!! My M4 get worked on by VAC/458 is a Ferrari mechanic and the GTR goes to Sean Ivey. I would say it’s 50/50 on guys who love cars and also do their own work. Maybe that’s way off
To me, a real car guy is one that understands how a car operates and is one willing to get their hands dirty. I'm not saying you need to know how to rebuild a motor, but you maintain and repair them for the most part. To me, it's hard to relate to those that simply buy and drive cars as a majority I come across at meets and such know next to nothing about a car. They just have deep pockets and "a guy" that maintains their collection. In general, cars are just Legos and they come a part pretty easily. There's nothing inherently special about how a 458 comes a part vs an Altima. I find that pulling a part and working on my Cayman is easier than my wife's 4Runner.

I get that most people have no desire or time to work on their cars. That's fine.
      01-20-2024, 06:13 AM   #82
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
To me, a real car guy is one that understands how a car operates and is one willing to get their hands dirty. I'm not saying you need to know how to rebuild a motor, but you maintain and repair them for the most part. To me, it's hard to relate to those that simply buy and drive cars as a majority I come across at meets and such know next to nothing about a car. They just have deep pockets and "a guy" that maintains their collection. In general, cars are just Legos and they come a part pretty easily. There's nothing inherently special about how a 458 comes a part vs an Altima. I find that pulling a part and working on my Cayman is easier than my wife's 4Runner.

I get that most people have no desire or time to work on their cars. That's fine.
The difference between ’having’ a car and ‘owning’ one.
      01-20-2024, 07:20 AM   #83
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
I have the same issue. Four cars takes up a fair amount of time for service intervals, cleaning, inspections etc. Plus in VA we pay tax on vehicles every year so you’re kind of penalized for the cars you own and it’s based on value so if you have nice, expensive cars, you pay quite a bit more. One way to reduce the tax is to find a county that taxes personal property at a lower rate and buy a home there to tie the cars to. But beyond that, I feel I’d have to hire someone to help me maintain everything. So I’m think four cars is enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:32 PM   #84
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I have the same issue. Four cars takes up a fair amount of time for service intervals, cleaning, inspections etc. Plus in VA we pay tax on vehicles every year so you’re kind of penalized for the cars you own and it’s based on value so if you have nice, expensive cars, you pay quite a bit more. One way to reduce the tax is to find a county that taxes personal property at a lower rate and buy a home there to tie the cars to. But beyond that, I feel I’d have to hire someone to help me maintain everything. So I’m think four cars is enough for me.
I have 5 cars and a motorcycle. Live in VA. I take an entire day off work just to get the safety inspections done.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:36 PM   #85
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When 4 cars of your 5-car fleet (err... "collection") averages to 19 years old and 209,000 miles each, then you can start complaining.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:42 PM   #86
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Jay Leno is a real car guy. And an exception to the rule.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 08:40 AM   #87
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
The MT LLC thing is tax fraud, pure and simple. While some might have gotten away with it, it's still tax fraud and can land you in jail.

If you ACTUALLY own a business and can prove it and that business is incorporated in MT, that's one thing. But if it's a holding company that you're faking to buy cars with, that's tax fraud and the government can come after you long after you thought you got away with it
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
Donatello.1083.50
      02-02-2024, 01:16 PM   #88
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
The MT LLC thing is tax fraud, pure and simple. While some might have gotten away with it, it's still tax fraud and can land you in jail.

If you ACTUALLY own a business and can prove it and that business is incorporated in MT, that's one thing. But if it's a holding company that you're faking to buy cars with, that's tax fraud and the government can come after you long after you thought you got away with it
So for example - are Corporations that are incorporated in Delaware and other states also committing tax fraud?!

It’s wild to me that “regular” folks are so eager to give their hard earned $$$ to uncle sam but then complain about the rich lol.

The politicians themselves use every possible loophole to avoid paying taxes and they are the ones creating the laws.
Appreciate 3