Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #133
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Yapakanichi's Avatar
445
Rep
211
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

road crew tore up my yard....
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #134
CTinline-six
Welcome to Jurassic Park
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
4446
Rep
2,344
Posts

 
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

road crew tore up my yard....
That sucks.

Happens every year to my yard from the winter plows. Last year they took out a whole 8 ft x 4 ft section because they pushed everything way off the culdesack into my yard. I made them come down and reseed that.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #135
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Yapakanichi's Avatar
445
Rep
211
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Yea I've already had the head public works guy out here taking pictures. Sad they are going to fix it. What amazes me is the sprinkler is literally just gone. The picture of the mud circle, yup, it used to be there but not anymore.

Hopefully something good happens with the city....but I'm not holding my breath
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #136
CTinline-six
Welcome to Jurassic Park
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
4446
Rep
2,344
Posts

 
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Yea I've already had the head public works guy out here taking pictures. Sad they are going to fix it. What amazes me is the sprinkler is literally just gone. The picture of the mud circle, yup, it used to be there but not anymore.

Hopefully something good happens with the city....but I'm not holding my breath
Yeah just be persistent. With my town the first time they told me to pound sand. So I took pics and posted them on the town facebook page with their response. They were down to fix it in about 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #137
bd307
Chef
bd307's Avatar
878
Rep
1,062
Posts

 
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Just planted a Meyer lemon, Mexican lime, and Fuyu persimmon trees over the weekend. Been reading up on tips for these trees the last few days. Any of you guys have more tips for a newbie here?

On a side note, we have a rental property with a huge backyard. It is basically empty, so I usually let the weeds grow until the tenant ask me to do something about it.

I put in some tarps and mulch 3 years ago, but not helping much. Typically I have to hire someone to clear the weeds out every 15-18 months and cost about $400-500 each time.

What product can I use to prevent weeds popping up?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #138
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
7324
Rep
10,760
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

The bearss lime tree. We'll see how it grows. It gets mostly sun and that flower bed gets watered.

Also tried jack's 20-20-20. Paired with the worm castings, I'm hoping this dude explodes.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #139
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

road crew tore up my yard....
Bro, I would be pissed! I have to put up flags along my side yard during the yearly city garage sales and because people don't give a ef and they drove and parked half their car on my lawn and tore it up on the way out.

So are they gonna replace the sprinkler?
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #140
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
The bearss lime tree. We'll see how it grows. It gets mostly sun and that flower bed gets watered.

Also tried jack's 20-20-20. Paired with the worm castings, I'm hoping this dude explodes.
I've only heard of good things with worm castings.
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
roastbeef7323.50

      04-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #141
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Yapakanichi's Avatar
445
Rep
211
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Bro, I would be pissed! I have to put up flags along my side yard during the yearly city garage sales and because people don't give a ef and they drove and parked half their car on my lawn and tore it up on the way out.

So are they gonna replace the sprinkler?
I was pissed, I even went out there like WTF guys? I think I might go down and talk to my guy I spoke with in regards to this. I've had multiple city officials come out and take pictures and talk to me regarding this. Not sure if they did a good political game on me, or if they are going to really do something. Either way this needs to be fixed. Literally my front sprinklers are busted. I turned it on this morning....yup just bubbling from underneath the ground.

On a side note, the wife mowed the backyard and it's looking really good honestly. I've overseeded the back multiple times so maybe it's finally coming in. Gotta keep the dogs out the back for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #142
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

I have tall fescue type grass so it's taking it's time waking up. Everything is starting to bud. Tulips are growing and I can't wait to see what kind of blooms I'll get. It's only been a week and the birds went through my bag of seed already. Think I'll have to find something in bulk...maybe Sam's Club
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 04-12-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #143
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

for those looking for Insect Control here's a pretty good deal at Sam's Club for Sevin insect killer particularly ants and grubs for $16.98 for a 25lb bag vs at Home Depot for $15.98 20lb bag you'll know when you have grubs when you see moths flying out of your lawn when you're mowing or see brown patches here and there is another sign you may have grub worms. they also get into your flower beds so you can broadcast these into your flower beds as well

__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
RickFLM45323.00
TXSTYLE6630.50

      04-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #144
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

BTW, anyone make a DIY Lawn Striping kit?
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #145
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
5323
Rep
4,146
Posts

 
Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
for those looking for Insect Control here's a pretty good deal at Sam's Club for Sevin insect killer particularly ants and grubs for $16.98 for a 25lb bag vs at Home Depot for $15.98 20lb bag you'll know when you have grubs when you see moths flying out of your lawn when you're mowing or see brown patches here and there is another sign you may have grub worms. they also get into your flower beds so you can broadcast these into your flower beds as well
Are sod webworms listed? I'm due to reapply late next month but could pick up some now and store it in the garage for a month.

Edit: disregard - I think what we have here is specific to Florida

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/Creatures/...od_webworm.htm
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #146
NCThreePedals
Second Lieutenant
210
Rep
292
Posts

 
Drives: f82 M4 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: St Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

I'm slowly becoming one. First time home buyer as of 2017, currently 26 years old always lived in the city with my family so never really had a yard and I'm loving it

We have bermuda on the front and sides and for some reason fescue on the back. Live on a quarter acre. Still 15 mins from Downtown which is nice

Funny how my buddies are out getting wasted and i'm like "damn that's some good edging work" but I enjoy it and it's quite therapeutic. My wife gardens (flowers like Dahlias and ranunculus) so we both enjoy it

Grass is waking up now so I'm excited to get back out there again
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #147
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Are sod webworms listed? I'm due to reapply late next month but could pick up some now and store it in the garage for a month.

Edit: disregard - I think what we have here is specific to Florida

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/Creatures/...od_webworm.htm
I think you're correct as i'm watching YouTube videos it's sod worms that are laid when you see moth's flying out of your lawn. I believe it's the beetle that lays the grubs. i'll keep researching as there's a crap load of insects and what not
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #148
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
I'm slowly becoming one. First time home buyer as of 2017, currently 26 years old always lived in the city with my family so never really had a yard and I'm loving it

We have bermuda on the front and sides and for some reason fescue on the back. Live on a quarter acre. Still 15 mins from Downtown which is nice

Funny how my buddies are out getting wasted and i'm like "damn that's some good edging work" but I enjoy it and it's quite therapeutic. My wife gardens (flowers like Dahlias and ranunculus) so we both enjoy it

Grass is waking up now so I'm excited to get back out there again
I hear ya brother! I was never into gardening and lawns until I bought my home a few years back. my first home I didn't care much since I hired a crew to do all the lawn and maintenance. this time around I got more into it and there's a lot to learn but not too complicated once you understand the jist of things it doesn't help when the wife teases me to her friends that i'd rather work on the lawn the say play around with the BMW
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #149
bosstones
Major
486
Rep
1,321
Posts

 
Drives: o_0
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suburbia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I think you're correct as i'm watching YouTube videos it's sod worms that are laid when you see moth's flying out of your lawn. I believe it's the beetle that lays the grubs. i'll keep researching as there's a crap load of insects and what not
Yeah, that's sod webworm. I had that in a few areas in the front last fall. The white-ish moths that 'jump' up when the grass is disturbed and the patches of brown, dead grass (from the larvae eating the roots) are tell tale signs.

It's kinda sad that despite all the yard care research...you don't necessarily learn about these things until you've experienced it firsthand and have to fix it. lol

I'm thinking of ditching our lawn care company and taking full control now. After raking the back yard (almost 22k sq ft), I don't think the areas will fill in like they say they will w/o intervention. In the many bare spots, I don't see signs of new growth. They also want to put 30-0-4 fert down but I think the grass is still in a root dev phase coming out of dormancy. I don't care as much for the lush green right now as I do the grass doing it's natural 'thang' (which is rooting at this time of year).
__________________
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #150
TXSTYLE
My Actions > Your Words
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
6631
Rep
3,340
Posts

 
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
for those looking for Insect Control here's a pretty good deal at Sam's Club for Sevin insect killer particularly ants and grubs for $16.98 for a 25lb bag vs at Home Depot for $15.98 20lb bag you'll know when you have grubs when you see moths flying out of your lawn when you're mowing or see brown patches here and there is another sign you may have grub worms. they also get into your flower beds so you can broadcast these into your flower beds as well

I literally just grabbed a bag of this 2 days ago. Good shit!
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #151
TXSTYLE
My Actions > Your Words
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
6631
Rep
3,340
Posts

 
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

My Latest additions...

__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #152
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Yeah, that's sod webworm. I had that in a few areas in the front last fall. The white-ish moths that 'jump' up when the grass is disturbed and the patches of brown, dead grass (from the larvae eating the roots) are tell tale signs.

It's kinda sad that despite all the yard care research...you don't necessarily learn about these things until you've experienced it firsthand and have to fix it. lol

I'm thinking of ditching our lawn care company and taking full control now. After raking the back yard (almost 22k sq ft), I don't think the areas will fill in like they say they will w/o intervention. In the many bare spots, I don't see signs of new growth. They also want to put 30-0-4 fert down but I think the grass is still in a root dev phase coming out of dormancy. I don't care as much for the lush green right now as I do the grass doing it's natural 'thang' (which is rooting at this time of year).
I remember the first time I saw moths flying out of the grass I was like "wtf is that?" but yes the worms they leave behind is what starts to eat away at the roots of the grass causing those brown patches.

DITCH the lawn care service and DIY! you'll save money and it's not that hard to do. to me all they really do is band aid the situation just to get you thinking they know what they're doing. that 30-0-4 is crazy high nitrogen and yeah that will get the grass to grow crazy but not really fix the problem. that's why most Lawn Youtubers will preach about not pushing too much nitrogen early spring as you want the grass to develop good root depth before top. have you looked into the NEXT Products? I use RGS and Humic12. really good stuff! as far as the bare spots depending on the grass you have some grasses don't fill in bare spots as many grasses don't have I think they're called rhizomes? so you're better off just buying some grass seeds that match what you have already and overseed that area with some good soil to seed contact. but you will have to keep watering them for whatever germination period for those seed types.
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
bosstones486.00

      04-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #153
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
7370
Rep
14,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
My Latest additions...
AWESOME! we were at the local nurseries trying to get some good ideas for either annuals or perennials. how do you decide which way to go as the wife sometimes thinks it's a waste of money to buy annuals when they're just going to die off after the year whereas at least the perennials will come back year after year?
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #154
TXSTYLE
My Actions > Your Words
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
6631
Rep
3,340
Posts

 
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
AWESOME! we were at the local nurseries trying to get some good ideas for either annuals or perennials. how do you decide which way to go as the wife sometimes thinks it's a waste of money to buy annuals when they're just going to die off after the year whereas at least the perennials will come back year after year?
Thanks! Well, I love flowers! And I have resigned to the fat that, my yard and garden are an investment that I gladly spend on to enjoy the beautiful colors that only annuals can give. A few hundred a year for nice vibrant colors are well worth it for me. I did plant one perennial in my front garden last summer and they are just starting to leaf up. I'm anxious to see how they will bloom again...
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST