New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

10-23-2023, 05:29 AM   #1
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 2023 M340i

Garage List
Ppf xpel vs suntek

Hi everyone,

I’m considering going PPF on by G80 arriving this week. I’m stock on the typical is it worth it? Obviously cost is large I’ve gotten quotes from 6500-7800. SunTek is 6500 whereas Xpel is 7800. Both films have the ceramic built in. Does anyone have experience? I know the investment is a losing argument and will never recoup the money. When I stated considering partial and all high impact areas, it’s near 4500-5000. Anyone in upstate NY have options? Dutchess/Putnam. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2023, 06:55 AM   #2
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Retired

At those prices, definitely not worth it. Even if you plan to keep the car "forever" that's still a stretch. A part of what's killing the value proposition is your location and the type of car. Not sure you can do much about either of those.

FYI - I'm not anti-ppf either. I've had at least 6 cars ppf'd. The prices in my area make it more palatable, and candidly, it's a no brainer if you care about the exterior appearance of your car.
Appreciate 2
snyder268188.50
chris7197569.00
      10-23-2023, 07:21 AM   #3
chefwong
Major
Rep

Drives: X5

Pricing is what the market will support.....hence location....
Suntek and Xpel should price out the same but it depends on the -installer- and their rate.

However, when doing PPF. while you are paying for the film (material ain't chea), it's also about the installer.....so YMMV. Xpel is a bit thicker so takes abuse a smidge better. Stek IMO looks better, it is a smidge thinner, so less Orange Peel that comes with it. Both great films. I'd find a installer you prefer then let the film be the second deciding factor
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 07:30 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Xpel's Ultimate Fusion PPF which has a hydrophobic top coat (like ceramic coating) will be more expensive than their Ultimate Plus PPF which lacks this feature. Sun Tek's is also a well known brand and their Reaction PPF also has this hydrophobic top coat.

IMHO, this is more of a case of finding a shop that has excellent reviews and doesn't use precut pieces. That factored along with the cost should determine snyder268's decision. I personally would pay a little more if I knew my shop does top quality work.

By the way, I don't recall picking up rock chips from street driving when I used to live in NYC. However this definitely happened while driving on the roads in upstate NY and many rock chips appeared on the front of my old CLK500 when I was upstate and they drove me crazy so I can understand why snyder268 wants to protect his G80.

PS, just because a shops quotes you a price doesn't mean that you can negotiate and lower it. Nobody likes to lose business.

Last edited by Westside Guy; 10-23-2023 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: corrected a typo
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 08:03 AM   #5
oneofew
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 23 M5 Comp

I would definitely shop around for pricing.
To put it in perspective I'm getting XPEL installed on my Huracan STO for $6500.
On the scale of difficulty, install on the STO is probably 8 or 9, install takes 5 days.
I can't imagine PPF pricing to be that different in NY vs Miami or LA.
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 08:30 AM   #6
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Xpel's Ultimate Fusion PPF which has a hydrophobic top cost (like ceramic coating) will be more expensive than their Ultimate Plus PPF which lacks this feature. Sun Tek's is also a well known brand and their Reaction PPF also has this hydrophobic top coat.

IMHO, this is more of a case of finding a shop that has excellent reviews and doesn't use precut pieces. That factored along with the cost should determine snyder268's decision. I personally would pay a little more if I knew my shop does top quality work.

By the way, I don't recall picking up rock chips from street driving when I used to live in NYC. However this definitely happened while driving on the roads in upstate NY and many rock chips appeared on the front of my old CLK500 when I was upstate and they drove me crazy so I can understand why snyder268 wants to protect his G80.

PS, just because a shops quotes you a price doesn't mean that you can negotiate and lower it. Nobody likes to lose business.
Great point on trying to get the price down I feel the price does seem steep for the car itself. Unfortunately both shops I believe are using precut pieces. I did mention I was uneasy with that and both shops said they can make the pieces longer and wrap around the edges.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:33 AM   #7
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Pricing is what the market will support.....hence location....
Suntek and Xpel should price out the same but it depends on the -installer- and their rate.

However, when doing PPF. while you are paying for the film (material ain't chea), it's also about the installer.....so YMMV. Xpel is a bit thicker so takes abuse a smidge better. Stek IMO looks better, it is a smidge thinner, so less Orange Peel that comes with it. Both great films. I'd find a installer you prefer then let the film be the second deciding factor
From the installer that offers both brands, he said Xpel seems to have better precut pieces with their software but seems like Stek has better warranty and better coating? And clearly 1300 cheaper for full car. I do think 6500/7800 is super steep. He also offered full car with Stek with no warranty for 4000. Which seems a little sus
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2023, 08:35 AM   #8
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder268 View Post
From the installer that offers both brands, he said Xpel seems to have better precut pieces with their software but seems like Stek has better warranty and better coating? And clearly 1300 cheaper for full car. I do think 6500/7800 is super steep. He also offered full car with Stek with no warranty for 4000. Which seems a little sus
I would be suspicious of this low price also and pass.

Can’t you find a shop that doesn’t use pre-cut panels?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:42 AM   #9
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would be suspicious of this low price also and pass.

Can’t you find a shop that doesn’t use pre-cut panels?
I’ll do some more research locally and see if there are so other shops with good reviews that do more custom wraps. The other shop I know I’ll have to reach out and get a quote on the Xpel full wrap cost. I know they do quite a few ppf jobs and I’ve known the owner for awhile. When I mentioned I had a g80 on order and was considering ppf he said they would do the precut as well. I guess saving them a ton of time in labor. I definitely want something to last. I think definitely going somewhere with a warranty is worth it, if I’m debating spending that much money I might as well have it covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #10
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’ll do some more research locally and see if there are so other shops with good reviews that do more custom wraps. The other shop I know I’ll have to reach out and get a quote on the Xpel full wrap cost. I know they do quite a few ppf jobs and I’ve known the owner for awhile. When I mentioned I had a g80 on order and was considering ppf he said they would do the precut as well. I guess saving them a ton of time in labor. I definitely want something to last. I think definitely going somewhere with a warranty is worth it, if I’m debating spending that much money I might as well have it covered.
You need to read the fine print on these warranties as they have a cap on renumeration when there is a claim and also they have all types of disclaimers!
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 09:14 AM   #11
chefwong
Major
Rep

Quote:

Don't hold me to this but at least in my area, if one is a Xpel Dealer.....they don't offer anything other than Xpel. It has to do with their dealer agreement, etc. This rule may not be the same in your region....

Both the Xpel and Stek shop I know do high quality work but it's not like the Stek shop can offer Xpel film...Hence, which is probably why he is stating he can offer you Stek, with no warranty....he is not an authorized Stek shop.

When it comes to warranty - it's only as good as if:what is covered...
Hopefully you would not need to take up on it, but the cost of PPF is high as there is the -built in cost- of either needing to redo the panel while they are doing the install and or they may need to redo the panel whether it be 3 months from install or 3 years from it..

YMMV but going to my 1st reply, installer is key....not the film,

Last edited by chefwong; 10-23-2023 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 09:19 AM   #12
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree as long as the shop is using a well-known quality PPF product and not Brand X.
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 09:37 AM   #13
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't hold me to this but at least in my area, if one is a Xpel Dealer.....they don't offer anything other than Xpel. It has to do with their dealer agreement, etc. This rule may not be the same in your region....

Both the Xpel and Stek shop I know do his quality work but it's not like the Stek shop can offer Xpel film...Hence, which is probably why he is stating he can offer you Stek, with no warranty....he is not an authorized Stek shop.

When it comes to warranty - it's only as good as if:what is covered...
Hopefully you would not need to take up on it, but the cost of PPF is high as there is the -built in cost- of either needing to redo the panel while they are doing the install and or they may need to redo the panel whether it be 3 months from install or 3 years from it..

Quote:
I agree as long as the shop is using a well-known quality PPF product and not Brand X.
Appreciate both of your insights. Yeah the dealer who is offering his own stuff is definitely doing is suspiciously and he said “undisclosed film” for the no warranty. He is an authorized Stek and Xpel dealer but just makes me uneasy as he could definitely lose those credentials doing things like that. Just hit up the other shop I know and got a quote for 2500 for full front end and rockers with Xpel. Scared to ask the full csr rate 😂😅
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 09:42 AM   #14
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I have Xpel Ultimate on the M3 and Suntek Ultra in the DD.
I don't have experience with Ceramic Infused PPF but would recommend Suntek over Xpel.
Do some researches on Xpel! They recently changed their warranty terms and a few of my friends stopped offer Xpel because of the changes.
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 09:59 AM   #15
chefwong
Major
Rep

On the topic of custom vs precut, there is not right or wrong. In some instances, precut with some allowance for extra material to get close to the edge may be superior than a custom wrapped to the edge.

It depends how much stuff is removed in order to do a proper to the edge. If it's cut on an edge but not tucked behind the edge, sometimes u get lifting - as the film cures and it shifts over time. The film is thick - the tension on the film, movement, etc. Hence, don't drive 200 miles for a cheaper install price, unless you don't mind driving 200 miles + to the same shop for post install fixes.

The film will need to be *tweaked and adjusted* as the film cures and shifts post it's initial install..Sometimes this may dictate a panel redo (rarely) but film does shift a bit as it cures.
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #16
chefwong
Major
Rep

Snyder -

1st time getting PPF.
I did say installer is key right ?

They guys are using Surgical knives to score the film on the paint.
The film is thick......
Sh### happens and PPF also covers up scored paint .
Hence, installer is key. Visual good ppf install aside, you also want one that is not going to hack the ## out of you paint and you may never know until the day you remove it and paint is cut..

I suppose that is one advantage to pre cut.
Some shops do full wraps.
Some shops may do hybrid - custom cut and some areas with pre cut .
The installer will somewhat dictate how to get the best results .... if he has the skill for custom + pre cut with *tweaking* on the plotter
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 10:17 AM   #17
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Snyder -

1st time getting PPF.
I did say installer is key right ?

They guys are using Surgical knives to score the film on the paint.
The film is thick......
Sh### happens and PPF also covers up scored paint .
Hence, installer is key. Visual good ppf install aside, you also want one that is not going to hack the ## out of you paint and you may never know until the day you remove it and paint is cut..

I suppose that is one advantage to pre cut.
Some shops do full wraps.
Some shops may do hybrid - custom cut and some areas with pre cut .
The installer will somewhat dictate how to get the best results .... if he has the skill for custom + pre cut with *tweaking* on the plotter
Appreciate the feedback. Obviously this will be my first car with ppf. That aside, totally make sense what the consensus is the installer is key. This is the shop I’d probably use. I know the owner and they seem to do quite a few ppf jobs and looks good. Front end vs full vehicle is just preference? Obviously more coverage more protection. PPF Shop
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #18
chefwong
Major
Rep

That's more a budget question on front end or full wrap. Front end takes most of the brunt. But sometimes, when you're adding the rockers, B, C Pillars, you're down the rabbit hole of F'it, let's just full wrap it.

Forget what you see on instagram, yelp, google reviews, etc. While that is helpful, I'd say do an impromptu visit to the shop. You want to see real life cars in progress or know if customers who have had work them in real life experiences..

I know of one shop. Exotics galore....all favorable yelp reviews, google review - almost 4.5'5 Stars highly reviewed. The work is crap if not whatever the cars in the shop that it is subjected to. I was once there and saw them using a grinder doing some bodywork within almost the same space where PPF is in the adjacent room. However, next to this car, was 10 cars in the same work bay getting vinyl done, etc and if you don't know what happens with Hot Metal Sparks flying everywhere....I was in awe on the lack of -unawareness- of all those others cars and hot metal slag getting embedded into the adjacent cars finishes, with the owners not knowing what their vehicles were being subjected to.

Alot of #### goes in the shop that one never sees or knows.

Last edited by chefwong; 10-23-2023 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 12:19 PM   #19
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofew View Post
I can't imagine PPF pricing to be that different in NY vs Miami or LA.
Actually I would rather be in a city like NYC, Miami & LA because in a major market there are many more shops to select from. This allows people the ability to shop around for a better price. I drove a hard bargain with the shop I finally selected and started to walk out before they lowered their original quote because he didn't want to lose a potential sale.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #20
chefwong
Major
Rep

Quote:
This allows people the ability to shop around for a better price.
IME, the pricing will be reflective of the local market no matter how many installers are available.

Of the handful or less PPF shops I would use, their pricing is -all the same-. Maybe $200-300$ difference between some, but for the most part, the same pricing across the board....

And some of these shops, like the *exotic gram* shop I mentioned who puts out crap work if not mis-treats cars left at the shop, his pricing is the same as a Top Level PPF installer/detailer who is in a different league in terms on quality of output if not attention to detail.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 12:30 PM   #21
Westside Guy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In a smaller city there aren’t too many shops and therefore you have a fewer options.
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50
      10-23-2023, 12:53 PM   #22
chris719
Major General
Rep

Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I’m considering going PPF on by G80 arriving this week. I’m stock on the typical is it worth it? Obviously cost is large I’ve gotten quotes from 6500-7800. SunTek is 6500 whereas Xpel is 7800. Both films have the ceramic built in. Does anyone have experience? I know the investment is a losing argument and will never recoup the money. When I stated considering partial and all high impact areas, it’s near 4500-5000. Anyone in upstate NY have options? Dutchess/Putnam. Thanks for the help!
Seems high, I paid $3k for partial on an M2 and that was the most expensive installer in my area. I had been quoted $5500 for the entire car. It was 2 years ago but still 2021 so it's not like it was pre COVID.
Appreciate 1
snyder268188.50