New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #23
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

WashPost article on peleton sales outlook

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...m-memberships/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:36 AM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Most people I know with Peloton never lost any weight. It just seems like another overpriced product marketed to people with a lot of money to burn. The high end of the market seems to be where retail growth is. Come to LA and look at all the $6 juices and oatmilk coffees. None of it is proven to extend anybody's lifespan, but like Peloton it's trendy.

A real bike, pedestrial treadmill/elliptical, gym membership, adjustable weights, etc. are a far better use of money. For $35/month I go to 24 hr fitness and get to use all the weights and treadmills I want.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:44 AM   #25
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Wanna lose weight? Eat less, walk more. Plus do a lot of different exercises. Mostly eat less, and eat better. No reason to waste your money. If you want to ride, ride a real bike and use a trainer when you can't ride. Me, I like walking.
Appreciate 4
P111554.00
sygazelle11325.50
      11-08-2021, 06:55 AM   #26
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativetexan View Post
Look into Stages bikes.

We bought a rebuilt one from them and it was like new!
Appreciate the recommendation, but that is well beyond what I would want to spend. Looking at their website, I'm anticipating to spend like 1/7th of that

Really just need something for crap weather and something that I can easily work between both my wife and myself. I have been using my road bike on a trainer, but space is a premium in the garage, so I want one thing for the pair of us.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:13 AM   #27
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Most people I know with Peloton never lost any weight. It just seems like another overpriced product marketed to people with a lot of money to burn. The high end of the market seems to be where retail growth is. Come to LA and look at all the $6 juices and oatmilk coffees. None of it is proven to extend anybody's lifespan, but like Peloton it's trendy.

A real bike, pedestrial treadmill/elliptical, gym membership, adjustable weights, etc. are a far better use of money. For $35/month I go to 24 hr fitness and get to use all the weights and treadmills I want.
I have a coworker who loves his but he also rode a Bianchi well before the Peloton, it just became a motivation to do it when at home like over lunch, etc.

What I want is to find a used Tonal. I want the gym but dont want the trainer and the service is as expensive as the gym up the street if I was really going to be spending money every month. They wont let you buy one without at least paying for 1 years worth of the membership. Its not really about the money, it just pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:18 AM   #28
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I bought one 3 months ago. I think I've used it a total of 10 times. The classes are all the same and competing against strangers got old really quickly. I found myself listening to podcasts vs. listening to the music on the speakers.

I honestly think it's the biggest scam out there. Not sure what I was expecting but a $100 used stationary bike is literally the same experience.
I never understood the appeal either; all I see is a stationary bike with an iPad attached to it. I can build that at home for far less than what Peloton charges. Join a gym.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #29
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Am I the only one that gets a sore ass, sore knees etc before I get aerobically tired on a bike? I find the rower or even a treadmill (in winter) is better for aerobic effort. Bikes just hurt.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #30
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
I got my wife one for Christmas almost two years ago and she’s on ride number 467, needless to say she loves it. Nice bike, very good quality.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't imagine buying my wife a piece of gym equipment for a present. Basically, "I love you, but it's time you did something about that....."

BTW, I'd love to have a Tonal.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #31
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Am I the only one that gets a sore ass, sore knees etc before I get aerobically tired on a bike? I find the rower or even a treadmill (in winter) is better for aerobic effort. Bikes just hurt.
1. are you wearing padded shorts? generally the sore ass goes away after 4-5 rides

2. sore knees usually means the bike is not correctly setup. if youtube "bike fit" - you should be able to make the necessary adjustments to get your fit close enough where its not hurting.

as with any athletic endeavor you still need to stretch/warmup and what not make sure youre not hurting yourself. I usually spend about ten minutes loosening up my lower back, hamstrings and calves before I go for a ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #32
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

I have a friend who does plenty of spin classes, has a Peleton, all that. Knowing I road bike quite a bit, he asked me if he could join.

He was in a for a nasty surprise: being "good" at Peleton or spin class was no match for getting on a real bike and knocking 20 miles out on real streets.

He never joined me again.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317939.00
      11-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #33
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I have a friend who does plenty of spin classes, has a Peleton, all that. Knowing I road bike quite a bit, he asked me if he could join.

He was in a for a nasty surprise: being "good" at Peleton or spin class was no match for getting on a real bike and knocking 20 miles out on real streets.

Yeah I wouldn't use a Peloton as my ONLY bike. I live in the midwest so going out on a bike in the winters is not really an option.

And I agree that actually going out on a bike vs. the Peloton is a much different dynamic. Just dealing with things like wind resistance adds a completely new layer of complexity to the ride that a Peloton can't replicate. Not to mention if you're exhausted on a Peloton you can just choose to not continue. If you're exhausted in the middle of nowhere on an actual bike.... well you still need to get home/back to your car.

Also I just find an actual bike way more fun/interesting. I get to see my neighborhood from a new perspective, and it's always a challenge to see how far I can go.

But there are some additional conveniences afforded with a bike in your basement - especially if you have kids, or just need to get in a quick workout between work meetings.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      11-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #34
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Peloton owners are like Vitamix owners...they'll tell you in everyday conversation within 2 minutes.
"Hi, do we have everyone on the conference bridge?"
"YEAH I'M HERE ON MY PELOTON."
Appreciate 2
P111554.00
      11-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #35
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
I never understood the appeal either; all I see is a stationary bike with an iPad attached to it. I can build that at home for far less than what Peloton charges. Join a gym.

That's pretty much what it is. The classes are super lame also. The music is horrible for the most part so I end up listening to a podcast. The competition system isn't user friendly either.

So yeah, I gave it another go yesterday but I'm done with it for good.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #36
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

I did road biking and my wife did spin classes.

Neither of us could keep up with the other.

I never understood how spinning at such a high intensity and HR for so long was good for you…

I'm embracing low HR training now at 40yr old. It's hard to stay low and be patient.
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      11-08-2021, 09:41 PM   #37
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Quote:

This is funny. I have 3 trek 29'ers and my favorite game it see how many mph I can get while on my one with 2.5" wide tires. Legs quickly roast after the 35mph mark.

Own a Peleton plus which has the obnoxiously big screen and it literally is used as a clothes rack and decoration for the house. She had to have it, se la vie.
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      11-09-2021, 06:48 AM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
This is funny. I have 3 trek 29'ers and my favorite game it see how many mph I can get while on my one with 2.5" wide tires. Legs quickly roast after the 35mph mark.

Own a Peleton plus which has the obnoxiously big screen and it literally is used as a clothes rack and decoration for the house. She had to have it, se la vie.
C’est la vie…
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #39
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i

I don't have one, but all the Karens I work with have one...they're like the crossfit cult...
Appreciate 1
JasonDot579.50
      11-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #40
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

My wife got one, used if for a while, then not at all for a long time, but she has been on it regularly for a few months now. She really likes it.

I have used it a bit, I really don't like stationary bikes, and I have never done a class on it, I just use it as bike. I do like the data it collects, heart rate, cadence etc.

One thing I will say for it is that it is quiet, which I appreciate. Cheaper stationary bikes, in my experience have been much noisier.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #41
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
literally is used as a clothes rack and decoration for the house. She had to have it, se la vie.
Research has shown, time and again, that a treadmill is the best

at holding clothes
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #42
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep

Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

I have the peloton bike. I like it. I use it. While I prefer outdoor exercising, running along the river there are times where that is not practical and the bike makes an excellent stand in for that. Have to have a schedule for it just like going to the gym or doing anything else consistently.

I have been doing the strength classes for years and really like them.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #43
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
What I want is to find a used Tonal. I want the gym but dont want the trainer and the service is as expensive as the gym up the street if I was really going to be spending money every month.
Tonal is more of a joke to me than Peloton is. For less than $3000 (the cost of Tonal) you can build a really nice home gym from the likes of Rogue. And what's so insane to me about Tonal is that the resistance maxes out at 200lb. If you're half way fit, that's not enough, unless you're strictly doing endurance training. If you've done any strength training at all, it doesn't take long to get compound lifts (squat and deadlift) weights beyond 400+ lbs and bench press over 250lbs. I'm really not sure who their target audience is. If you used Tonal regularly, it wouldn't take long before you've outgrown it... I'd imagine most people would find Tonal useless in less than a year, seeking free-weights with more resistance.

I love my Rogue power rack and not having to waste time driving to/from 24 hour fitness anymore, no more waiting for people sitting on gym equipment playing on their phones, wasting time. My 24 Hour fitness membership was only $100/month on renewals... I kept it for a few years thinking I might use it when traveling but I finally let it lapse. I don't miss it at all.
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      11-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #44
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I have a few friends with peloton bikes and they seem to love it. They enjoy the classes and competing against anybody is a motivator for them. It just really depends on the person.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0