New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #199
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No.
Oh. Mine did. Ahead of its time. 1987 325is.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #200
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Oh. Mine did. Ahead of its time. 1987 325is.
My E30 had the overhead display just not the computer. The HVAC controls on the E90 (which were similar to the 5 and 7 series of the same era) were fantastic, tactile, and visually assertive.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #201
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
can't imagine why you'd want touch controls in a car, because that would require looking at what you want to press and taking your eyes off the road. from a driving perspective it makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #202
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Why do I get the impression that you think that your preferences are somehow superior and condescend other peoples' preferences?

Infotainment systems in the car are a big deal to me, since I have to use it to do pretty much anything related to being comfortable inside the car. It's also important because a poorly designed one (like the original iDrive, large reason why I went with the G35 instead of the E90 years ago) can be dangerous as it can be distracting.
What, you mean condescending like this:
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0