Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #23
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4144
Rep
5,220
Posts

 
Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

In the end it is jewelry and the appreciation for a mechanical device... if you want accuracy and reliability... well a $200 apple watch will beat it day in and day out. Hell even in terms of accuracy, a $1k Tag will beat it with a $30 quartz movement.

However; the mechanical specs and overall quality of the Rolex Sub are incredible... combine that with the recognition of the brand and its resale value and it becomes an obvious winner....

I will say this though... it will last 50 years... an apple watch will last at best 3 years until it's battery dies or is obsolete due to newer tech.
Appreciate 2
Nivarox467.00
Murf9939641.00
      12-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #24
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
VeloF1's Avatar
256
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I never bought a Mechanical watch for accuracy. I have a computer (Apple Watch) on my right wrist for that, and also touch less pay almost everywhere I shop. I buy mechanical watches because of the wonder and amazement of all of those tiny parts working in harmony on my wrist. Also itís neat to think that it is running solely on my energy. And they are nice jewelry!
And, to indirectly sponsor Formula 1 ó plus, Pro Tennis, Golf, sailing etc.
__________________
IG @velof1
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #25
ScottSinger
Major General
2148
Rep
5,113
Posts

 
Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
this is just wrong. even rolex doesnt recommend servicing in this short of intervals.

ive serviced thousands of watches and most quality watches serviced with the proper oils and greases dont notice any timing changes in 5+ years.
Do believe Patek Philippe (Ulysse Nardin [Freak]) that are not waterproof are recommend to go in for service about every three years.

And I think Rolex Deep Sea and Submariner that are used regularly underwater work may still be 5-7 year for service but maybe pressure tested a bit more often, have read different opinions.

Some of the older Rolex rotors they say on forums wear quickly so that lube service may be more often.

10 -years or till you have an issue is also what a lot of Rolex people prefer and recommend.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #26
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Maitre_Absolut's Avatar
750
Rep
802
Posts

 
Drives: M3 CS
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

My wife bought me my SubC 114060 in 2015 for our 5 yr anniversary.

At that time, a family friend was an AD and had one in stock he gave her close to 30% off.

Looking back that was the best possible timing to get one, in stock with discount!

The following year we bought a house in Toronto at near record housing levels so Ill take the small wins where I can!

Back to watches, my 3 nicer watches (rolex, pam and JLC) have just been sitting since the pandemic, though I will still wind them here and there to wear for a day or so.
__________________
18 M3 CS /// M-Performance
19 Audi SQ5
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
09 A3 3.2VR6
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #27
mikado463
Private First Class
mikado463's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
150
Posts

 
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: SE Pa

iTrader: (0)

love my 'bluesy' ............
Attached Images
 
__________________
cheers - Dave
Appreciate 3
Frupal517.00
Murf9939641.00
      12-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2394
Rep
9,678
Posts

 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)



Nothing we donít already know but interesting video nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
Frupal517.00
      12-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #29
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
2812
Rep
2,040
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
As for never meant to be the best watch around, I'm not exactly sure what your referring to. They were probably meant to be a fine tool watch, a reliable device at extreme depth and height.

But I guess one could argue Rolex might/could be the best watch, their cases (no doubt Audemars cases are extremely good) the Rolex 904 steel and the machining for the stems on Rolex. Rolex mainsprings are also extremely good, as are the balance wheels. So Rolex escapements can go up against anything. Is any Tourbillion escapement better than a Rolex escapement ?
the rolex standard movement, 3135 and its variations, is just that, a pretty standard movement especially when put up against many other companies standard movements. The new 3235 that is in the new model watches, is a step up, but it is still a pretty basic movement. Omega, for example, has been smoking Rolex in terms of movements, but that is because they have to. Rolex can get by on just the name where Omega needs to lean on their quality.
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
ASAP4144.00
Murf9939641.00
      12-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #30
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4144
Rep
5,220
Posts

 
Drives: Cheapest M Car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: No State Income Tax

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
the rolex standard movement, 3135 and its variations, is just that, a pretty standard movement especially when put up against many other companies standard movements. The new 3235 that is in the new model watches, is a step up, but it is still a pretty basic movement. Omega, for example, has been smoking Rolex in terms of movements, but that is because they have to. Rolex can get by on just the name where Omega needs to lean on their quality.
THe reserve on the 3135 of 40 hrs really sucks... if there is anything I would improve and / or take from the newer 41mm is the longer reserve... outside of that; love it.
Appreciate 1
Murf9939641.00
      12-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #31
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
725
Rep
328
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
the rolex standard movement, 3135 and its variations, is just that, a pretty standard movement especially when put up against many other companies standard movements. The new 3235 that is in the new model watches, is a step up, but it is still a pretty basic movement. Omega, for example, has been smoking Rolex in terms of movements, but that is because they have to. Rolex can get by on just the name where Omega needs to lean on their quality.
I don't know squat about movements and I know little of the quality differences between the big companies. I only own one expensive watch (aka over $1000). I bought it because it was so nice to look at and I dug the precision of the mechanics in it. I also wanted one high end watch for attending events when I was employed.

And hey, why not have some watch porn in this thread. I only have one picture of my watch and it is pretty clear so I hope folks don't get wound up that it is posed on a firearm.

Appreciate 3
mikado463163.00
ZMCoupe30.00
      12-15-2020, 10:30 PM   #32
ScottSinger
Major General
2148
Rep
5,113
Posts

 
Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

https://fb.watch/2phHovXOWH/

Cleaning Rolex watches video
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #33
Webb70
Captain
Canada
108
Rep
897
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Amazing, but I'll leave that to the professionals....
__________________
Kiss French, Drive German, and Ride Italian....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #34
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
725
Rep
328
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
https://fb.watch/2phHovXOWH/

Cleaning Rolex watches video
Awesome video. I'm thinking if I tried that I wouldn't know what to do with the extra parts when I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #35
Webb70
Captain
Canada
108
Rep
897
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Well, well, well, I just got the call from my Rolex AD that my Submariner just came in. I pick it up on Friday. Unfortunately with the City on lock-down I'm not allowed inside the store.....
This should be interesting....
__________________
Kiss French, Drive German, and Ride Italian....
Appreciate 1
Frupal517.00
      12-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #36
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2394
Rep
9,678
Posts

 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb70 View Post
Well, well, well, I just got the call from my Rolex AD that my Submariner just came in. I pick it up on Friday. Unfortunately with the City on lock-down I'm not allowed inside the store.....
This should be interesting....
Lucky! Are you able to help me get one from there? Iím trying for my dadís 60 bday.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #37
Webb70
Captain
Canada
108
Rep
897
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Lucky! Are you able to help me get one from there? Iím trying for my dadís 60 bday.
I would if I could.....I've been on the list for a GMT (almost 2 years now), and I'm still trying to get my brother on the list for a Sub (not taking any more names).

This COVID has also made things worse with Rolex stopping production back in the summer is what my AD keeps saying now.
__________________
Kiss French, Drive German, and Ride Italian....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2394
Rep
9,678
Posts

 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb70 View Post
I would if I could.....I've been on the list for a GMT (almost 2 years now), and I'm still trying to get my brother on the list for a Sub (not taking any more names).

This COVID has also made things worse with Rolex stopping production back in the summer is what my AD keeps saying now.
No worries.

Yeah, the whole thing kind of sucks for the consumers. Rolex doesnít care as long as their sales continue to climb.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #39
maul3d
Private First Class
246
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In WOT land.. under a bridge near you

iTrader: (0)

Meh. Accidently clicked on this.

My friend showed me his 30k Rolex. He was flexing hard, i thought it looked like shit, and quite cheesey. My 200$ hugo boss looks nicer.

Guess there's things out there that hold value within a certain individuals that appreciate it.

BUT, at the end of the day, its just like any over priced high ticket item including a 40k Hermes handbag.

200% or 300% markup to wholesalers. And a wholesaler makes about 100% on markup as well. So that $7,500 watch costs a hair under $4,000 to buy from Rolex direct, so Rolex probably has $1,000-1,250 in total manufacturing costs.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, COOL.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #40
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2394
Rep
9,678
Posts

 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul3d View Post
Meh. Accidently clicked on this.

My friend showed me his 30k Rolex. He was flexing hard, i thought it looked like shit, and quite cheesey. My 200$ hugo boss looks nicer.

Guess there's things out there that hold value within a certain individuals that appreciate it.

BUT, at the end of the day, its just like any over priced high ticket item including a 40k Hermes handbag.

200% or 300% markup to wholesalers. And a wholesaler makes about 100% on markup as well. So that $7,500 watch costs a hair under $4,000 to buy from Rolex direct, so Rolex probably has $1,000-1,250 in total manufacturing costs.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, COOL.
The same can be said about BMW cars vs other brands.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #41
maul3d
Private First Class
246
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In WOT land.. under a bridge near you

iTrader: (0)

BMWs dont retail 5000% over a Hyundai, Ford.

2-3million dollar hypercar perhaps. A rolex isnt comparable to a hypercar though.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #42
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2394
Rep
9,678
Posts

 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul3d View Post
BMWs dont retail 5000% over a Hyundai, Ford.

2-3million dollar hypercar perhaps. A rolex isnt comparable to a hypercar though.
BMW is 2-3x cost of say a Camry or Corolla. Typical Rolex is 2-3x something like an Omega (a good, reliable, quality product). Omega is luxury yes but we must compare apples to apples and not like a Timex or GShock vs Rolex.

I get it though. Some spend way more on things that others donít consider worthy. But everyone has different priorities I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #43
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
2812
Rep
2,040
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
The same can be said about BMW cars vs other brands.
the same can be said about any luxury item lol
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #44
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
2812
Rep
2,040
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I don't know squat about movements and I know little of the quality differences between the big companies. I only own one expensive watch (aka over $1000). I bought it because it was so nice to look at and I dug the precision of the mechanics in it. I also wanted one high end watch for attending events when I was employed.

And hey, why not have some watch porn in this thread. I only have one picture of my watch and it is pretty clear so I hope folks don't get wound up that it is posed on a firearm.

who doesnt love some good watch porn. unfortunately, i have recently sold these 3 now as i search for the next watch purchases. only have a 116710 (black GMT) right now.

No date 14060, explorer 16570 i swapped a coke gmt bezel on to, and a 16803

__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST