New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #89
mark.ant
Australia
Rep

Drives: BMW M2C

Yawn 🥱
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2022, 05:49 PM   #90
bonsai
OG 3er
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F80 M3/2018 F82 M4 Compet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
You guys are too funny why is it that Porsche was able to figure out how to build an excellent electric car.

Now that BMW is doing it.. you guys want to cry.

Trust me Bmw has been working on this for many years you guys are now just starting to hear about it.

You guys do realize that the current generation M cars were already approved and signed off many years and years ago before it was ever released.

Trust me Bmw has been working on electrification since the i3.
Given their waffling on strategy that lost BMW the advantage it had with i3/i8 development experience, and now the waffling and walking back of the neue klasse chassis as a multiuse platform, I'd say BMW has been failing for years in EV.

Those in the auto industry know what I'm talking about. Everyone else seems to just have armchair opinions whilst watching corporate-shaped influencer and "journalist" content from the sidelines.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      08-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #91
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
The Guardian ran an article a couple of months ago on the pros and cons of keeping an existing ICE vs buying a new EV, where comparative carbon footprints and impacts are concerned, and they mentioned the respective data for production. I'm all for EVs as an ecological solution, don't get me wrong. But the monodirectional advocacy of them at a time when we need multiple solutions across different national contexts and socioeconomic constituencies is open to debate. Unless one thinks that they really are the only solution, which is fine.

It’s all about money and government corruption.These lithium batteries are doing major harm to the worlds environment.It was OK to use it for some mobile phones but these car batteries need a massive amount of lithium.This technology sucks for cars IMO.

https://ecojungle.net/post/lithium-e...mental-impact/
Oh ok the good ol' gubment corruption angle….

And you want to talk pollution and environmental damage why not stop driving your oil burning car then? Big oil and gas industries have done immeasurable amounts of damage to the environment, way way more than lithium mining has or ever will.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      08-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #92
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The Guardian ran an article a couple of months ago on the pros and cons of keeping an existing ICE vs buying a new EV, where comparative carbon footprints and impacts are concerned, and they mentioned the respective data for production. I'm all for EVs as an ecological solution, don't get me wrong. But the monodirectional advocacy of them at a time when we need multiple solutions across different national contexts and socioeconomic constituencies is open to debate. Unless one thinks that they really are the only solution, which is fine.

It's all about money and government corruption.These lithium batteries are doing major harm to the worlds environment.It was OK to use it for some mobile phones but these car batteries need a massive amount of lithium.This technology sucks for cars IMO.

And you want to talk pollution and environmental damage why not stop driving your oil burning car then? Big oil and gas industries have done immeasurable amounts of damage to the environment, way way more than lithium mining has or ever will.
Damn those oil and gas companies. How dare they pollute the air while keeping your lights on and your house warm. 😉🤣. The nerve of them.
Appreciate 2
SW192441.50
kreb15.00
      08-17-2022, 06:26 PM   #93
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Yes, with a motor at each wheel.

It's nickname is "tank mode".
I'm pretty sure that's not a zero emission maneuver.
Par for the course for EVs, given their manufacture brings with it twice the carbon footprint than that of a typical ICE.
This is just plain wrong, reckless and irresponsible…what is your source for that BS?

https://climate.mit.edu/ask-mit/how-...ring-batteries

MIT is siting the EPA.
I personally think performance hybrids are the best bet right now until batteries improve, solid state batteries have some amazing potential, as someone mentioned earlier.

but the automotive industry seems to be moving 100% electric post haste.

I support it because electric cars are better for the environment.

Recycled Synthetic fuels are going to be interesting but without wide adoption and large scale manufacturing it will be difficult to distribute at an affordable price point.

Porsche is investing in it to keep their 911 alive. Which is fantastic but let's be honest it will likely be reserved for the super rich just like new 911s, have you seen the prices lately? Some dealership is trying to get 500k$ for a 992 turbo s! It's an amazing car but holy crap.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ661.50
      08-17-2022, 06:37 PM   #94
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's all about money and government corruption.These lithium batteries are doing major harm to the worlds environment.It was OK to use it for some mobile phones but these car batteries need a massive amount of lithium.This technology sucks for cars IMO.

Damn those oil and gas companies. How dare they pollute the air while keeping your lights on and your house warm. 😉🤣. The nerve of them.
as if it was only the air….What about the bp oil spill in the water or the several other spills? Or the fracking damage on land too?

Yah I know it's depressing and inconvenient for you to think about it, I only got on here to say these things because of a lot of ignorance being pointed at EVs.

I love Combustion cars and they will still have a place….they will just go the way of horses. Once ridden as daily transportation but now relegated to entertainment and leisure.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 06:56 PM   #95
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

For anybody interesting in the concept of "tank turning" here is an example from a Rivian (quad motor EV truck):
Appreciate 2
atl_1M1520.00
FrozenGT1109.00
      08-17-2022, 07:21 PM   #96
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 M2

It looks an awful lot like an Audi. Especially the back end.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:22 PM   #97
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
I wonder if BMW will do something like this? LOL, yes, there's a sound clip:

The Drive: Dodge Reveals Electric Muscle Car Plans: Loud ‘Exhaust,’ Banshee Name, Retro Looks.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/dodge-...me-retro-looks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:38 PM   #98
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep

Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Idk if I'm seeing things but it looks like a larger much better looking version of a TTRS imo..

Not bad looking at all.
      08-17-2022, 08:39 PM   #99
NitroNut
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2023 - Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
I wonder if BMW will do something like this? LOL, yes, there's a sound clip:

The Drive: Dodge Reveals Electric Muscle Car Plans: Loud ‘Exhaust,’ Banshee Name, Retro Looks.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/dodge-...me-retro-looks

What the……
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:06 PM   #100
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Sad day for hard core driving enthusiasts. Such a shame.
Umm you do realize this was released today: https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/17/...-gt3rs-reveal/

Yesterday:
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/15/...pecial-models/

It's really not that sad of a time for enthusiasts. In fact I think the exact opposite given all of the "last hurrah" stuff going on.

Truth is sports car makers will find ways to have electrics appeal more and more to hard core driving enthusiasts over time so I don't really see this as a negative.

And in the meantime, we have other cars that we can buy that appeal to the need for sound...

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:31 PM   #101
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
"For example, in Germany - where about 40% of the energy mix is produced by coal and 30% by renewables - a mid-sized electric car must be driven for 125,000 km, on average, to break even with a diesel car, and 60,000 km compared to a petrol car. It takes nine years for an electric car to be greener than a diesel car, assuming an annual average mileage of 13,500 km (as was the case in Germany in 2002, compared to 12,700 km in England in 2013). Most consumers will have bought a new car by then. The case is similar in the US, but less pronounced in nuclear-powered France."

WEF

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...-power-energy/
This is from 2017. Probably obsolete already.

The development pace of EV outstrips the one for ICE, and I expect huge paradigm shifts in the areas of battery, drivetrain, and electrical integration/control. So these statistics should be updated yearly or bi-yearly going forward.

Just saying, I don’t own an EV yet.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:10 PM   #102
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Quote:

It’s all about money and government corruption.These lithium batteries are doing major harm to the worlds environment.It was OK to use it for some mobile phones but these car batteries need a massive amount of lithium.This technology sucks for cars IMO.

Clearly you unfamiliar with the composition of the Gen 5 batteries is in the iX and i4. Maybe post something relevant to the materials in the battery. What's next permanent magnet mining for the electric motors?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:18 PM   #103
M3 boi
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: ...

No one:
Literally no one:
BMW M when told to work on an electric car:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
F85MTuNED1620.50
Frosty772.50
      08-17-2022, 11:27 PM   #104
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Unfortunately all to many are spreading misinformation regarding batteries and how they are made and such, while not doing proper research and taking on bias news and this goes both ways those who likes new tech and those who thinks well its good as it is, and this type of information is also boosted by the social media, it all comes down to what you are interested in and what you click on and that is what will be served to you, even google does that to an extent where they act as a big "filter" but unfortunately that can hit the wrong targets sometimes.

A lot of people still think that burning fossil fuels ain't bad for the environment or in some ways they know its bad but thinking "well i am not the one who does so much wrong, its the others" and the so called "others" think the same, this eventually creates a negative feedback loop where no one is willing to change their habits or products for the so called "greater good".

But then again this is a car forums so in my opinion the most important thing here is the cars we enjoy day to day. Weather it be EV or not, but there is no denying that ICE cars have caused a lot of damage during their existence, although i am glad that the new generation of ICE cars have become so much better at minimizing this damage but as long as they keep releasing emissions by being used daily then it is an issue, or simply by the oil that is needed to be extracted from the ground/ocean floors then transported on this huge cargo ships that also runs on diesel(Just ask any ship captain and they will tell you how much different fuels they run on depending on where at seas they are or in what country's waters they are, where there is different rules for emissions) then refined, and then transported to the nearest gas station by truck, you see how insane it starts to get.

I am all for the car brands starting to expand in to new territories and adopting new ways of propelling their cars forwards whether it be on batteries or some form of hydrogen or anything else that is better for the environment in the long run then the current way of doing it, but i doubt with the current tech we will find a new way to create/produce cars that is completely emissions free that is simply not possible atm the amount of parts going in to a car even EVs used a lot of fossil type of products for their existence. But i hope one day they will be not perfect but good enough so it wont impact us negatively to much. But that ain't gonna happen as long as we got more people back in the train pulling the emergency brakes all the freaking time saying no to all new progress because they are simply terrified of change themself.

And hope one day M will release a product that is an light weight EV with proper driving dynamics minus the sound if its an EV or maybe some sound if it is another way then EVs.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:59 PM   #105
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Only 4 motors… weak!

ford has a 7 motor mustang mach-e prototype testing
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:41 AM   #106
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
I'm confused in the video when the car did that donut lol, I'd that possible irl lmfao!
Yeah but that was definitely cgi or animation.
      08-18-2022, 08:10 AM   #107
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
R.I.P Bmw
Quote:
The truth is that your post would be more relevant if BMW wasn't actively developing EV's like this. Automakers that aren't moving forward and advancing will become extinct. It stinks for the purists but there's no going back now as we are moving away from fossil fuels vehicles for better or worse. I was firmly in the ICE forever camp at one time but after a few months in a Model 3 Performance I can say it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be as EV's really do make for better commuter cars.
The issue is most consumers either don't want EVs or cannot afford EVs, and even fewer consumers want performance related EVs. So while it seems great that companies are spending billions in R&D to get out ahead of it, the consumer demand isn't there, it's not organic it's an artificial push by government. So these companies will spend a ton on R&D and production just to sell hundreds of cars, and end up losing money.
While I agree with this at the current moment, the reality is that it will change in the future. Not every citizen could afford the Ford Model T when it first came out. Horses could travel much further, were more reliable, and were affordable. However, all new technology is always expensive and costs billions to create scale around new resources and processes. We will look back in 20 years and talk about how expensive electric cars were when they first came out. We will be driving space ships at that point.
      08-18-2022, 08:15 AM   #108
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Unfortunately all to many are spreading misinformation regarding batteries and how they are made and such, while not doing proper research and taking on bias news and this goes both ways those who likes new tech and those who thinks well its good as it is, and this type of information is also boosted by the social media, it all comes down to what you are interested in and what you click on and that is what will be served to you, even google does that to an extent where they act as a big "filter" but unfortunately that can hit the wrong targets sometimes.

A lot of people still think that burning fossil fuels ain't bad for the environment or in some ways they know its bad but thinking "well i am not the one who does so much wrong, its the others" and the so called "others" think the same, this eventually creates a negative feedback loop where no one is willing to change their habits or products for the so called "greater good".

But then again this is a car forums so in my opinion the most important thing here is the cars we enjoy day to day. Weather it be EV or not, but there is no denying that ICE cars have caused a lot of damage during their existence, although i am glad that the new generation of ICE cars have become so much better at minimizing this damage but as long as they keep releasing emissions by being used daily then it is an issue, or simply by the oil that is needed to be extracted from the ground/ocean floors then transported on this huge cargo ships that also runs on diesel(Just ask any ship captain and they will tell you how much different fuels they run on depending on where at seas they are or in what country's waters they are, where there is different rules for emissions) then refined, and then transported to the nearest gas station by truck, you see how insane it starts to get.

I am all for the car brands starting to expand in to new territories and adopting new ways of propelling their cars forwards whether it be on batteries or some form of hydrogen or anything else that is better for the environment in the long run then the current way of doing it, but i doubt with the current tech we will find a new way to create/produce cars that is completely emissions free that is simply not possible atm the amount of parts going in to a car even EVs used a lot of fossil type of products for their existence. But i hope one day they will be not perfect but good enough so it wont impact us negatively to much. But that ain't gonna happen as long as we got more people back in the train pulling the emergency brakes all the freaking time saying no to all new progress because they are simply terrified of change themself.

And hope one day M will release a product that is an light weight EV with proper driving dynamics minus the sound if its an EV or maybe some sound if it is another way then EVs.
Tripe.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #109
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
Full ///M electric has got to be at least 850hp right?
Competition model 1000 hp and a frunk
Appreciate 1
AGAV13804.00
      08-18-2022, 08:59 AM   #110
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs6456 View Post
Get out of here. Like seriously. Please leave with that BS. I had to wait a full year for my i4 M50 because of the demand. It's extremely difficult to buy an EV at the moment because they are in such high demand. Saying the demand isn't there is not only factually incorrect, it borders on being dishonest.
BINGO! But the anti-EVer's will continue to spew out things like this as gospel
Appreciate 0