New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-30-2018, 02:07 AM   #111
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: manual shift cars

Hate it.
      09-30-2018, 03:17 AM   #112
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I'm afraid that the anticlockwise rev counter is not OCD friendly...
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      09-30-2018, 03:42 AM   #113
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i wonder if they will even have a non digital version.... its probably cheaper to put an LCD there than a mechanical unit as it is. less skus, less moving parts, weighs less. software is already written anyway.
You’re right I’m sure there won’t be.... what I’m talking about is the semi digital display that we’ve already seen on some of the interior spy shots! It has fixed plastic surrounds showing the digits but a digital centre for all animated display, needles etc so no moving parts!.... And it has the tacho running the RIGHT way too...!!
Attached Images

Last edited by nozydog; 09-30-2018 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 04:04 AM   #114
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ll take this one thanks, more classic appearance & the tach runs the RIGHT way!! This should be standard as they’ll want a reason to charge more for full digital display!! My guess is the full digital display will become standard with the LCi
Attached Images

Last edited by nozydog; 09-30-2018 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #115
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
Honestly i like Audi's and mercs digital cockpit better than this. They are way more configurable. Here you are stuck with this layout like it or not. Not to mention MBUX its pretty much ahead of this in every way possible, to bad the ipad screens look like crap.
I agree. Audi virtual cockpit is years ahead and looks rather slick. One thing I noticed is the bag in the main display which looks like extended and blended view of the turn by turn rather than the full map as in Audi. Whereas Audi uses the map as a background canvas and let the other ‘float’ above it. Here it seems like a map depiction. Not sure how I feel till I try.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #116
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Pretty sure the X3 has the setup shown above, and while the tach runs clockwise, it also gets entirely replaced in some modes with other data.

And all you silly automatic drivers are to blame for this junk. If you'd just kept to three pedals we could still have real gauges. But you don't need them, so now they're leaving too.

And Aston Martin has been doing the anti clockwise thing for years and no one's complained.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #117
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

May I just have a naturally aspirated in-line 6 cylinder engine, manual transmission, rear wheel drive, and 50/50 weight balance, wrapped up in a great-handling lightweight sports sedan please?

Thanks.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #118
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
So we get a lovely new hi-def central media screen, but all the info is duplicated onto the digital speedo & tacho dials..... why??

I sure hope the basic semi-digital display is standard fit so I can save some cash for other more useful options!!
i wonder if they will even have a non digital version. The cheapest 2018 accord has an LCD in there now... and its probably cheaper to put an LCD there than a mechanical unit as it is. less skus, less moving parts, weighs less. software is already written anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the analog dials will become an option included in something like the track package. You know, to offer a "Dynamic driver engagement with focus on car's performance".

Not to mention that the analog cluster will cost more than a screen, if not the case already.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #119
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Wel IMHO the above "analoge" version is is a disaster too.

Talking about ergonomics and readability; can you imagine what reflecting sunshine is doing to the new digital cluster?

I give you an example; look at the iDrive screen, you cannot see anything.

Yes, Aston Martin had a counter clockwise rev dial, worthless too. The new cars don`t have them anymore.

Yes times, they are changing, but not always for the better with these digital clusters.

Look at an F-16 HUD; 40 years old meanwhile, but far better lay out, ergonomics and situational awareness then the new BMW digital cluster.
What I`m trying to say; if you want something radical different and make a real change, a real enhancement compared to "old" clusters, the new cluster is too much a mix with the old one, it is a poor job. It could be, it should be much more better than this.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #120
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't care for this and just wants my plain old analog Speedo and tach??

You aren't the only one. To me, this is ridiculous and unnecessary. It's bad enough the newer generation of humans are less involved in driving, but now this gives them even more of a reason to get distracted.

If this is were BMW is headed, you can count me out. My next vehicle won't be a new generation BMW.

/// M3
Appreciate 2
Romo1758.50
Ramos862.50
      09-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #121
JMon
FAST
Rep

Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Flip the tach 180 degrees plz
That inverse tach was the biggest "NO" for me. I think it would drive me crazy!
Appreciate 2
Romo1758.50
nozydog465.00
      09-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #122
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
Honestly i like Audi's and mercs digital cockpit better than this. They are way more configurable. Here you are stuck with this layout like it or not. Not to mention MBUX its pretty much ahead of this in every way possible, to bad the ipad screens look like crap.
Interesting, because I really dislike the digital instrumentation in the MB E & S class to the point where it's a deal breaker. I prefer what's in the 5 and 7, and I definitely prefer the new digital instrumentation in the G20, X5, Z4 and 8 series.

Last edited by ///M-er-gized; 09-30-2018 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #123
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
May I just have a naturally aspirated in-line 6 cylinder engine, manual transmission, rear wheel drive, and 50/50 weight balance, wrapped up in a great-handling lightweight sports sedan please?

Thanks.
Whoever builds this absolutely get my money. But I bet it never happens again.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #124
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Whoever builds this absolutely get my money. But I bet it never happens again.
When the design of the vehicle is focused so much on the gauge cluster's capabilities, the less the focus is on driving dynamics, which we saw with the F30. Driving is an analog function; this is just a computer game console with wheels. Might as well make the thing able to drive itself. Oh, wait....
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #125
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Its like iPhones;

It is not about receiving/answering phonecals anymore, but all about apps/gadgets

Cars;

Its not about driving (Freude am Fahren eghh???) anymore, it`s all about the option list on the car, the gadgets.

We are far far away from things as they where meant in the past.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #126
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thanks.
"Afraid not sir"
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #127
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
And Aston Martin has been doing the anti clockwise thing for years and no one's complained.
Brought to you by blokes and folks that shift with the left hand and drive on the wrong side of the road! :

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #128
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't care for this and just wants my plain old analog Speedo and tach??
How old are you?
41, why?
Because you sounds very old fashion
I'm not that old, and I don't like it. I don't like Audi's digital cockpit, either. I don't want loads of info hidden behind the steering wheel. I'd much prefer an advanced HUD or the info right at eye level in front of me as the current center dash displays do.

It demos well, it's just not as practical in daily use.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #129
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How old are you?
41, why?
I'm not that old, and I don't like it. I don't like Audi's digital cockpit, either. I don't want loads of info hidden behind the steering wheel. I'd much prefer an advanced HUD or the info right at eye level in front of me as the current center dash displays do.
The real question is, what are you going to do about it? Never buy new car? Spend tons of money to mod the car with a physical gauge? Or just accept? I don't like BMW Canada stop offering rwd 5/7 series anymore, but nothing I can do. Only to accept
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #130
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How old are you?
41, why?
The real question is, what are you going to do about it? Never buy new car? Spend tons of money to mod the car with a physical gauge? Or just accept? I don't like BMW Canada stop offering rwd 5/7 series anymore, but nothing I can do. Only to accept
What am I going to do? I'm going to reserve final judgment until I can actually try it out and see if there's a configuration option I like or can live with. This will also be a factor in comparing it with what else is on the market. Audi's digital cockpit was certainly a factor when I chose my BMW.

You seem to be misunderstanding my preference of how a digital dash should be done with "all digital dashboards suck get off my lawn you kids with your tech". They're clearly here to stay, and I think the idea is cool. The question will be whether one brand's implementation works better for me than another.

It's the same for infotainment. I might complain about Toyota Entune every opportunity I get but it doesn't mean I hate all infotainment.
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      09-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #131
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:

Thanks.
grab a pristine one now before they all get crashed/riced out/too expensive

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #132
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
"Afraid not sir"
Find a clean E46 330 ZHP before it's too late.
Appreciate 0