New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #947
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I bought these.
Thanks. I take a look at them.

As an aside, it's interesting about the reasons why you're buying a hand gun. My wife was the one that brought up the idea of getting a hand gun for home protection. So the hand gun we have is really meant for her. I just took it one step further and got an AR.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #948
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: A car

How much did you pay for yours? Your life is priceless, don't let price keep you from having ammo.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12512.00
      02-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #949
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Thanks. I take a look at them.

As an aside, it's interesting about the reasons why you're buying a hand gun. My wife was the one that brought up the idea of getting a hand gun for home protection. So the hand gun we have is really meant for her. I just took it one step further and got an AR.
I just feel so defenseless alone downtown. Heck, even walking with my two buddies last night in the French Quarter, 6'0 and 5'9 I still felt like I wish we had more protection. The All Star game is in town and it's Mardi Gras season so it's awfully uneasy in the Big Easy right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #950
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah. In grand scheme of things, I shouldn't worry about price. But I don't want to just throw money away if I can get the ammo for cheaper. We have 9mm FMJ rounds now. And I guess if I really want to get nasty, the 9mm will hopefully give me an opportunity to get to my AR if needed. But I haven't purchased the hollow points yet. But I'm going to soon.

As an aside, I've been kicking around the idea of getting shotgun. Don't have to be accurate just close at least that's what I believe. Those more seasoned on Bimmerpost may say otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #951
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. In grand scheme of things, I shouldn't worry about price. But I don't want to just throw money away if I can get the ammo for cheaper. We have 9mm FMJ rounds now. And I guess if I really want to get nasty, the 9mm will hopefully give me an opportunity to get to my AR if needed. But I haven't purchased the hollow points yet. But I'm going to soon.

As an aside, I've been kicking around the idea of getting shotgun. Don't have to be accurate just close at least that's what I believe. Those more seasoned on Bimmerpost may say otherwise.
Nothing is more scarier to a burgaler than hearing that shotgun being cocked!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #952
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just feel so defenseless alone downtown. Heck, even walking with my two buddies last night in the French Quarter, 6'0 and 5'9 I still felt like I wish we had more protection. The All Star game is in town and it's Mardi Gras season so it's awfully uneasy in the Big Easy right now.
Oh I get that. I've been to some mean parts of DC particularly in the SE region of DC. I'm 6'5" and sometimes feel like I shouldn't be walking alone. Unfortunately, the gun laws around here north of VA are all screwed up that many times you're the one the cops arrest over some perpetrator.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #953
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Question for the general group. What self defense ammo would you recommend for a 9mm hand gun? I did some research and settled on Speer Gold Dot Lawman +P 124 grain hollow points. But everywhere I look where they're at a decent price has had them out of stock for months.
This is what I use lately;

Appreciate 2
      02-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #954
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this gunsafe? I'm picking up my daughter tomorrow from my Moms so I need to purchase a safe tonight. Non negotiable.

Cliff notes

Where I live is safe, secure, without going into where I live and why I feel that way, the main reason for the safe is solely to keep it out of the hands of my 3 yr old. She's an excellent climber and a dare devil and will monkey climb all the way up furniture with 2.5 seconds so just placing the gun up high, is not going to suffice. It needs to be locked away.

Ultimately price doesn't matter, because this is my child's life and safety we're talking about, that being said I also don't need a $5,000, 4 ft tall storage safe. Let's be realistic. It's one, small handgun.
i like them, i have 3 and have found them to be reliable
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #955
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Where did the YouTube button go
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #956
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Appreciate 2
Dang3r12512.00
      02-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #957
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
This is what I use lately;

Hmm I have some of those also.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #958
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Hmm I have some of those also.
Can you critique me?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #959
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quick question - especially to Moddie and Tonka who seem to have carried the longest (or at least the most vocal about it )

Of however many years you've carried for, has there ever (honestly) been a situation (or more than once) where you honestly thought you might have to use your firearm? Does it happen often?

It is just a foreign concept to me - it's not to say that criminals respect the gun laws up here, they don't, but at the same time, I've honestly never wished to have a gun on me because I felt I might need it. Trying to wrap my head around it.

Admittedly, I have wished I could carry when I walk in the forest, but that is just for animal control should it ever happen. I've never seen a bear, only one wolf / coyote (honestly couldn't tell which - either a huge coyote or a thin, but appropriately tall wolf), but it would give me a feeling of security. Is that the mindset though that you have when you move out in society? Because it seems....sad? Almost a "why choose to live in such a society - why not move somewhere safer"?

Don't mean that to be offensive - it is simply a foreign concept and I'm trying to understand the rationale.
The concept is that you have a tool in which you can defend your life with should no other means be possible. First line of defense is situational awareness. I'm not hell bent on shooting someone and consequently i don't go looking for trouble. It's quite the opposite actually, when i see some unrest in the area i'm in, i'm the first one out. I don't want to be drawn into any type of conflict. Especially when carrying. But to answer your question, there has only been on time that i legitimately thought i would need it. And that feeling probably stemmed from the main reason i got my carry permit the week i was age eligible in 1994.

In 1993 i was shot at on a Sunday afternoon in a well populated area. Long story short, there were gang initiations going on that weekend and their initiation orders were to communicate with people while driving through hand gestures. When someone returned a similar hand gesture, they were to get out of the car at the next opportunity and run up to that person and shoot them. I had two Irish friends in the car who loved to brawl. They quickly returned the hand gesture and 5 guys got out of their car at the next light. As the driver, i took off and they gave chase. I realized it was serious once they were blowing red lights to catch up to us. And on a more open stretch of road, one of them leaned out of the car and took 6 shots at us with one hitting the rear fender of my car.

I had already altered my route to drive to the nearest police station and continued on after they stopped chasing us. I was informed the following day that they had multiple arrests from several similar situations occurring that weekend. The cops are the ones who told us the motive was gang initiation.

Thats when it hit me that some jack ass trying to get in to some low life gang could have killed me (for something i didn't even do) if i weren't a good driver and was quick to react. Had i gotten stuck in traffic and not been able to get a way, i may have been shot for no particular reason. I decided that i would make sure that i would have a fighting chance should that type of improbable situation come back around to me.

The last time i thought i was going to have to use it was a similar situation. I was driving at night, from down town and going through a particularly rough part of town. There was a mini van driving erratically behind me and it seemed like they were desperately trying to get beside me. I was doing my best to not let that happen without letting on that i was doing anything on purpose. A traffic light required me to stop behind some cars and the curb to the right was too high for me to drive up on. The van was able to get next to the drivers side of the vehicle and in my side mirror i saw the side door of the van open as they were pulling up beside me. Upon seeing that i did draw my pistol getting ready for some type of random attack. (based on previous experience) The van was loaded down with about 6 thug-life looking guys and they were yelling all kinds of racist crap about a white guy in an BMW in their hood. I had pretty dark windows but had been riding with windows down prior to seeing them behind me. Clearly nothing happened and i didn't have to busa-cap in no one, but that was the incident where i felt it may come into play depending on the traffic scenarios.

I just don't want to die at the hands of some cowardly punk bitch without a fighting chance. The probabilities of ever having to use it are slim to none but that's partly because of my lifestyle choices, being self employed, having a garage in a nice neighborhood, etc... And i like it that way. I don't ever want to be forced to use it.
Joekerr7929.00
      02-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #960
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Good job Sara .. You are ready !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #961
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Tonka, holy shit.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #962
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Good job Sara .. You are ready !
Still need some work. I feel as if my shoulders were too tense.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #963
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

115gr Hornady Critical Defense. Good, consistent ballistic testing.

http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-115-g...nady-25-rounds

zx10guy5149.50
upstatedoc7559.50
      02-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #964
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

HK. Too much kick.

Appreciate 1
      02-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #965
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still need some work. I feel as if my shoulders were too tense.
Not a bad stance. Need to bend knees a touch more, stick your butt out a bit to balance the weight of leaning a little more forward. Doing that will bring your chin down lower between your shoulders making for a more natural sight line. Plus leaning a little more forward will help you absorb the recoil better allowing you to stay on target.

Good starting point though.

Edit, this is from the first video. ^^ This one is no bueno.
Dang3r12512.00
      02-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #966
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Not a bad stance. Need to bend knees a touch more, stick your butt out a bit to balance the weight of leaning a little more forward. Doing that will bring your chin down lower between your shoulders making for a more natural sight line. Plus leaning a little more forward will help you absorb the recoil better allowing you to stay on target.

Good starting point though.

Edit, this is from the first video. ^^ This one is no bueno.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #967
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Dang3r12512.00
      02-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #968
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

I had car pull up next to us and level shot gun at us when we were early 20s. We took off and parked out of sight then I proceeded to throw a full can of beer fastball off the numb nuts drivers door as they went by. Not smart at the time.
Appreciate 0