New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #45
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Its a fact that Google is grabbing all kind of data of the users. And this is one of the biggest disadvantages ever. Our company changed OS from XP to 7 and since that happens, all 3rd party programs to synchronize Outlook with android phones are banned.
So after buying a new phone I had to convert my adressbook to upload it at Googles to re-download it afterwards onto my new phone.
Guess what? Within seconds I got tons of unwanted infos who of my contacts is playing this or that game, if we want to got matched together and so on.
That was the first time, Google made me a little fear...
When did you guys update from xp to 7? We are upgrading from 7 to windows 10. I don't synchronize my personal email with my work outlook account. I do have outlook on my personal phone so I can get work email and also have the gmail app for personal email.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:59 AM   #46
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
When did you guys update from xp to 7? We are upgrading from 7 to windows 10. I don't synchronize my personal email with my work outlook account. I do have outlook on my personal phone so I can get work email and also have the gmail app for personal email.
Oh, thats years ago, it was just to explain what happens after uploading my contacts. Company has also phones for special persons, but Im not special enough and have to do the old way.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #47
tester109
Rep
n/a

Drives:

You can always encrypt your emails with something like GPG, but that makes life more difficult for you and people reading your email, so it's easier not to care that a computer is reading your email!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 05:33 AM   #48
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Argh.

In 1999 I was the sysadmin at a school with 300 teachers and 2,000 students. I could read everybody's email, and view everybody's files. The student & staff IT policies were clear (they should've been, I wrote them). I could, and I did. (well, not everybody's. Because most people are boring.)

I was often asked "Can you read my email?". My answer was consistent "Yes. But I don't even read my email. Most people's email is boring. Why do you ask, is yours interesting?" ... Students would almost universally accept it and walk away. Staff would almost always look a little offended ... half the time they'd follow up with "Really?" to which I'd reply "Yes. Technically it's very easy. Policy-wise, it's very clear. Email is school property."

For the first five years that I had email, I never wondered if anybody else could read it - because my 'personal' address was loaded as an alternative mailbox on my Boss's PC.

... so, as someone who grew up running a large IT environment, it still amazes me that somewhere along the line there became this belief that email was a private and personal method of communication.

If you'd like some pointers about how to protect your privacy online, I'm more than happy to help. But here are a few things you need to accept, get over, stop trying to fight, and deal with.

1.) You have no privacy. That ended in the mid 90's (probably a lot earlier). Any privacy you believe you have is an illusion.
2.) Any free service is free because the data they collect about you is more valuable to them as a product for their customers than having you are as a paying customer is.
3.) Point 2 is a bit difficult to understand, but it's important, so let me say it again. You are not Google, Youtube, Facebook, Reddit or Twitter's customer. You are their product. Their advertisers are their customer and anything you say or do, how you say it, when you do it and who you say it to or do it with is sold to anyone willing to buy it.
4.) Just because something's encrypted, doesn't make it private. Just because something's anonymous, doesn't make it private. Just because something is private now, doesn't mean it always will be. Given enough time, anything put online will either be accidentally deleted, or made public.

So, in practical terms, here's the thing. If you want to keep something private, don't put it online.

Email is not a secure form of communications. Facebook Privacy settings doesn't make stuff private. Your employer can read your email. Microsoft, Facebook, Google etc. all sell your data, your personal information and stuff about you that you didn't even know you'd given them - for profit.

This isn't tinfoil hat bullshit, and I'm not saying it so you can get up in arms about it. I'm saying it so you can accept it, move on, and manage your own privacy.

If you're at all concerned about google reading your email, encrypt it.

And no, it's not going to be easy for any of your recipients to easily read what you've sent them. You're going to have to teach them how to decrypt your messages. No, you can't use search across encrypted emails; if you can, it's probably not good encryption.

You get ads about stuff you've recently searched for in google on facebook because facebook use google adwords. It's not creepy, it's simple data collection and use. Many, many sites use google data analytics to provide site owners with usage statistics. So if you visit these sites, if Google can link your visit to your browser - you then get ads for similar services.

Hey, did you know if you've got google maps on your phone you're probably giving Google the right to sell anyone they want information about where you were at any given moment of the day, and who else was in that location at the same time for deep analysis?

Here's the saving grace: You're not that important.

You're just one of a million people who hand over this data on a daily basis. No need to worry. .... unless you end up being important to someone with the means and motive to acquire and analyse this data.
Appreciate 3
________4157.00
mkoesel7505.50
JasonCSU699.00
      09-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #49
catcher22
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

In middle school I remember using 33.6k dial up to connect to my best friend's computer to share a single 50MB song in .WAV format that would take a good 3-4 hours to transfer. We would do this over night, because God forbid that somebody picked up the phone, we'd get disconnected and have to start all over.

My how far we've come lol
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #50
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
In middle school I remember using 33.6k dial up to connect to my best friend's computer to share a single 50MB song in .WAV format that would take a good 3-4 hours to transfer. We would do this over night, because God forbid that somebody picked up the phone, we'd get disconnected and have to start all over.

My how far we've come lol
I'm old enough to remember the acoustic coupler modems. You had to put the cups around the speaker and mic of the hand set after dialing the number and hearing the beep bops. After establishing the connection, you were treated to the lightning fast speed of 150 baud.
Appreciate 1
catcher22294.00
      09-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #51
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

1Mb/s was a dream connection. Dedicated T-1? That was for rich companies only. Turn on your PC and go grab lunch. It'll be ready to use when you get back. Watch web pages load line by line down the page. Take your mouse apart when it got rumbly so you could clean the gunk and lint out of it. Dot matrix printer pages that you had to pull the feeder strips off the sides before you could turn in your paper.

We still have Wifey's Gateway 386 running OS2 Warp. It still boots up. 5-1/4 floppy drive, too.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:18 AM   #52
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

How about this: When entering the US as a tourist they took your fingerprints, a photo and want to know if you're having a social media account. They keeping those data for the last day I think, using recognizing software to identify persons of interest and scanning randomly somekind of data - and you are worried about that google could read your mail, ey?
At my first visit after 9/11 I was thinking like "Wow, here I thought the GDR is history"...

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0