New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #2487
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

I think no days off for the last 2 weeks is catching up to me. Felt sore and tired as hell this morning in the gym. Didn't get the best nights sleep though, so that may have been playing a factor. Don't plan on taking an off day until maybe the weekend so hoping my body can hang on just a little longer!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #2488
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Moving office furniture ALL AFTERNOON, repeatedly (for wemenz) so I can hook up the computer systems counts as a workout, right? Then home and mow the front lawn AND the back 40.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #2489
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

With regard to supplements - everyone's body responds differently and you'll want to find the brand that works best for you.

I take 1 bcaa made by "Dymatized (Super Protein Amino 6000)"

And 1 scoop of "Genius Creatine Power Matrix" but instead of taking it post workout I take it before.

I do every other day gym & supplements / home without supplements.

This has worked great for me. I'm 6'2 195 40 yrs old.

I drink almost a gallon of water when I workout - but your muscles are mostly water - so properly hydrating them is critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #2490
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
With regard to supplements - everyone's body responds differently and you'll want to find the brand that works best for you.

And 1 scoop of "Genius Creatine Power Matrix" but instead of taking it post workout I take it before.

I drink almost a gallon of water when I workout - but your muscles are mostly water - so properly hydrating them is critical.
Sheesh, a gallon of water during your workout that is wild. I wouldn't be able to do cardio afterwards lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #2491
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Sheesh, a gallon of water during your workout that is wild. I wouldn't be able to do cardio afterwards lol.
Haha - I don't quite finish all of it - but it's nice to have - during Florida summer months I sweat a ton.

I always start with cardio - this allows the recovery process to begin as soon as I'm done lifting, then it's calorie time. I lose weight very fast, so this works best for me.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      08-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #2492
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

1 gallon does seem a bit excessive to me, but I'm sure it depends on your body and how you hydrate outside of the gym as well. I bring a 32 oz bottle of water and finish it during a workout and feel plenty hydrated but I also don't do more than 10 minutes of cardio at the end of my workouts. My partners and I lift almost exclusively...along with abs. We've managed to find cardio unnecessary for weight loss with our current routine is paired with intermittent fasting...but of course we aren't professional body builders either...and between the 3 of us, I'm the only one who has ever needed to lose weight.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #2493
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

PS: debate time. I filmed myself over the winter for squat to get some feedback on how low I should be going. My workout partners suggest was parallel is all the lower I should be going. However I was challenged on that by quite a few folks suggesting I need to be going much, much lower.

Have been doing so, which has also cut down my max by a lot. No knee issues but then a >50 year old guy that works out with us in the mornings suggested I shouldn't even be going parallel. This guy was a competitive body builder in his day...he's still stronger than us. What's the consensus?

This is where I was previously going....now going significantly lower.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #2494
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
PS: debate time. I filmed myself over the winter for squat to get some feedback on how low I should be going. My workout partners suggest was parallel is all the lower I should be going. However I was challenged on that by quite a few folks suggesting I need to be going much, much lower.

Have been doing so, which has also cut down my max by a lot. No knee issues but then a >50 year old guy that works out with us in the mornings suggested I shouldn't even be going parallel. This guy was a competitive body builder in his day...he's still stronger than us. What's the consensus?

Didn't watch the video, but everything I've ever been told was parrallel. What I see people doing is beyond parallel. Due to injury and surgery after, I no longer do squats.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #2495
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've also injured my back (hence the belt) but injured it on deadlift. I've never had a problem with squat as I instinctively keep my back rigid and upright. Regardless I certainly understand the argument for parallel.

I guess I'm hoping to understand the reason so many have suggested I need to be going BELOW parallel.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #2496
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I've also injured my back (hence the belt) but injured it on deadlift. I've never had a problem with squat as I instinctively keep my back rigid and upright. Regardless I certainly understand the argument for parallel.

I guess I'm hoping to understand the reason so many have suggested I need to be going BELOW parallel.
Mine wasn't a back surgery, think lower.....and inside your ass. This was done by trying to push too much weight on a squat and going below parrallel. Not a pleasant experience. Bleeding out of your ass until surgery was no fun. Walking around with stitches in your asshole for 2 weeks after, then having the stitches removed was less than ideal. Yeah, F squats. Those that know what happened, thought I was crazy for going back to the gym after.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #2497
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

High bar = ass to grass
Low bar = parallel

Going less than parallel puts more strain on your knee than ATG plus less glute engagement to push back up.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #2498
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

I watched the video. When you squat your weight needs to be further towards your heels. Weight distribution is too far forward, this most likely makes it feel awkward to get low enough. This can feel awkward for some because it feels like you're going to fall backwards. Start with low weight just to get the rhythm down and slowly up it from there.
Appreciate 2
ga9213360.50
      08-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #2499
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^agreed!

Quote:

I wish my gym had weights like that, may I ask how much weight that is? Looking strong dude!

Personally, when it comes to squats and deadlifts I think each individual needs to customize their form to what feels right, as well as using proper fundamentals of course. Foot placement, shoe type. bar placement, how far down you squat, it all depends on what feels safe for me personally. If the weight is dictating my form, I stop.

I dealt with sciatica last year which taught me to increase weight slowly and not until I'm really really ready. However, I do like to push myself of course.

Just out of curiosity, do you run before your workout? I ask because you do look a little stiff during your squat. Running for 5 mins (1/2 mile) signals to the body it's time to workout, it's a very basic thing, and often overlooked, but to me it's extremely important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Mine wasn't a back surgery, think lower.....and inside your ass. This was done by trying to push too much weight on a squat and going below parrallel. Not a pleasant experience. Bleeding out of your ass until surgery was no fun. Walking around with stitches in your asshole for 2 weeks after, then having the stitches removed was less than ideal. Yeah, F squats. Those that know what happened, thought I was crazy for going back to the gym after.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
GrussGott18113.00
      08-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #2500
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish my gym had weights like that, may I ask how much weight that is? Looking strong dude!
This is my home gym setup we were using while our gym was closed due to COVID. My neighbors and I were all quarantining at home with kids out of schools and daycares so we kept up our routine.

This was 305 as I recall....I'm usually finishing my set at 345 at the gym but these bumper plates are a bit limiting.

Quote:
Personally, when it comes to squats and deadlifts I think each individual needs to customize their form to what feels right, as well as using proper fundamentals of course. Foot placement, shoe type. bar placement, how far down you squat, it all depends on what feels safe for me personally. If the weight is dictating my form, I stop.

I dealt with sciatica last year which taught me to increase weight slowly and not until I'm really really ready. However, I do like to push myself of course.
Entirely agree...I was lifting 405 in deadlift a couple years back when...something...slipped in my lower back. My left hip came up as my lower back felt like broke. Took a couple weeks for my hip to return to place but it hurt like hell for 6 months. My form NEVER felt natural...was constantly microcorrecting and those little movements are likely what caused my muscles to spasm and throw my back out.

Now on deadlift I just stick at 225, won't increase and instead just work on form. It's so not worth it. So so soooo not worth it.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, do you run before your workout? I ask because you do look a little stiff during your squat. Running for 5 mins (1/2 mile) signals to the body it's time to workout, it's a very basic thing, and often overlooked, but to me it's extremely important.
Good eye...no...I don't. Since my back was thrown I found running very painful. My lower back doesn't like the shock of running any longer. I was a sprinter in college track so I have never been one to do any sort of distance running (don't have the stamina) and my running form is balls of feet, heels to ass so it's just awkward for me to even attempt jogging lol. Just doesn't feel right.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #2501
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What can you maybe do instead of a run or jog before you squat next time? I'm guessing jump rope is also out?
I will never lift any weight again without being somewhat out of breath from some sort of cardio first, ever again... the body and all the systems just aren't ready for exertion yet, for me, especially at 40.

Ended yesterday's season with 275 x 6 then 295 x 5. My goal was the 400's this yr but covid put me back.

I hear ya with the 225 DL. That's wise for sure.
Just reading your story about our hip
made my heart rate go up - sounds really scary.

Form, form, form - then slowly add more weight is my approach now.
Btw, I love deadlifts!

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #2502
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What can you maybe do instead of a run or jog before you squat next time? I'm guessing jump rope is also out?

I will never lift any weight again without being somewhat out of breath from some sort of cardio first, ever again... the body and all the systems just aren't ready for exertion yet, for me, especially at 40.

Ended yesterday's season with 275 x 6 then 295 x 5. My goal was the 400's this yr but covid put me back.

I hear ya with the 225 DL. That's wise for sure.
Just reading your story about our hip
made my heart rate go up - sounds really scary.

Form, form, form - then slowly add more weight is my approach now.
Btw, I love deadlifts!
At my home gym I was doing literally nothing to warm up...but now back in the Gym I walk the treadmill or track for 5 minutes most days...today on leg day I do 10 minutes of walking to warm up.

I'll have my buddies get a video of my current form next tuesday for a more accurate critique. (really, critique me I don't mind lol!)
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #2503
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If your lower back can't take a light jog - you may want to stick to 225 max squat as well... something isn't properly aligned in there it sounds like. Stretching can usually get it right though - I was given 4 pages of specific stretches for my sciatica pain - 20 mins before and after bed - fixed my bulging disc good as new... but it depends on of course on severity etc....

I look for natural movement when ppl lift - if it looks forced at all or unnatural at all I think it's unsustainable and potential for injury.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
ga9213360.50
      08-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #2504
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #2505
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Since Monday is international chest day, and it was chest day, I ran instead yesterday

Tonight muscle beach was PACKED so I did bi/chest. I felt GOOD there, but driving home started seeing spots, and CIA was calling from +52 (Mexico) so I checked and blood was down to 52. Coincidence? I think not!

Now my belly is overfull and my shoulder hurts
      08-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #2506
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Body is getting a little run down. I definitely need an off day, but I'm too stubborn to take one. I think I might be close to a 3 week streak of no days off. With that said 1 day a week I usually go lighter with a lot of cardio, so consider that my partial off day. Anyways, vacation is about 12 days out. So I'm going to bring the calories down and see how it plays!

This morning was back/triceps. Had a fantasy football draft party last night, so my stomach is in shambles this morning. Other then that it was a solid day!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #2507
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

AHHHH, Monday morning back at work, sitting my ass in a chair, in the a/c

I don't do manual labor all that well, but spent ALL DAY Saturday and Sunday framing a new chicken coop with my nephew. I just hope that sore forearm from swinging a hammer resolves itself before Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 11:22 PM   #2508
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:

It’s better to take creatine everyday even if you don’t workout to maintain optimal levels.
Appreciate 0