New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #45
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

That's because they belong outside, i can't wrap my head around indoor cats and dogs.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2021, 03:08 PM   #46
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Guinea pig is a good choose and the live 6 to 8 yrs, stay away from the smaller rodents, most have the uncanny ability to get out of their cages. Daughter did the fish thing, then to Hamsters (2 times since they only live 2 or 3 yrs) and both manage to escape their cages and one ripped up the rugs under the doors. The guinea pig is more entertaining and you can let them run around your kitchen. Then our daughter sold the wife and I on getting a dog, and I mean sold. She did a whole power point presentation on all the reason we should get a dog. The Wife and I are both allergic to dogs so she research the all the hypoallergenic dogs. My daughter really loved her pets to the point we had funerals for all of her pets including the fish she would not allow the circular funeral for her fish. We have little stone grave marks she made in our back yard.
"Circular funeral" lmao Who does that? Man, that's so bad, I just buried them, doesn't take that much more effort.

Anyway, wow, sounds like an amazing kid. Mature beyond her years. You did something right!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #47
Lucky John
Out to Lunch
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1965 Land Rover Series 2A

Get her a chicken! Technically you need three or four but at least you will get eggs out of the deal.

Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      09-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #48
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

OH is scared of rabbits... no I kid you not.
funny as heck, next door had a rabbit which escaped into our yard,
watching the rabbit chase my OH around the garden
If I had my cam it would have gone viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Imho, rabbits are the best pets. You can play w them but not high maintenance like a dog, or aloof like a cat. They don't smell or make any 'annoying' noises and their poop is SOLID so easy cleaning. You can toilet train them too. They can live close to or beyond a decade so your daughter won't be bawling her eyes out in 1-3 years if she got a rodent.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:19 PM   #49
Griff UK
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 320i

Guinea Pigs

Wife and I bought a couple of 'Teddy Bear' Guinea Pigs for our youngest son.....four years later.....we are the one's that are taking care of them. They are funny little fellas though. Quite nice characters too.
Appreciate 3
nazali1264.50
bhowelett125.00
      09-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
OH is scared of rabbits... no I kid you not.
funny as heck, next door had a rabbit which escaped into our yard,
watching the rabbit chase my OH around the garden
If I had my cam it would have gone viral
LOL no way! Aw, that's too bad then.

Btw, what's "OH"?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      09-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #51
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Other Half, usually used by a non-spousal couple.....
      09-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #52
No one
Major
Rep

Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Non-spousal? I thought and a search brings just the opposite. Two halves must make a one. Marriage. A continuous partnership is fine too, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #53
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky John View Post
Get her a chicken! Technically you need three or four but at least you will get eggs out of the deal.

And “bubblegum”
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #54
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: A car

Ferrets stink so bad. You walk into someone's home who has one, you can smell it before you see it.

Get her the horse.

I suggest leasing before you buy.

Last edited by Sara; 09-17-2021 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614907.50
      09-17-2021, 10:54 AM   #55
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Non-spousal? I thought and a search brings just the opposite. Two halves must make a one. Marriage. A continuous partnership is fine too, though.
DW and DH (darling wife and darling husband) are the usual references to their spouses by married couples, along with DD and DS for their daughters/sons.....
No one1029.50
      09-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #56
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Ferrets stink so bad. You walk into someone's home who has one, you can smell it before you see it.
Ya, walked into a pet store and the stench from their urine was just racid. Never thought that any living being's p*ss can smell SO BAD!!! That's a deal-breaker right there.
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      09-17-2021, 11:34 AM   #57
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: A car

Quote:
Ya, walked into a pet store and the stench from their urine was just racid. Never thought that any living being's p*ss can smell SO BAD!!! That's a deal-breaker right there.
Not only that, they take and hide your belongings.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #58
No one
Major
Rep

Drives: F21 118i

Smile

Quote:
DW and DH (darling wife and darling husband) are the usual references to their spouses by married couples, along with DD and DS for their daughters/sons.....
As you say. You should know better. But still, this referencing looks more excessive than convincing to me, unless, perhaps, polygamy is involved: "-Your wife... -Not that wife! A darling wife, from the upper harem.".
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #59
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i was just about to say bearded dragon. i think they are pretty low maintenance. although the tank does need to be cleaned.

i'm a cat person. extremely low maintenance. no need for walks, baths, rushing home in the middle of a work day to let them use the bathroom. shelter cat might be difficult if its used to being outdoors. ours was like that, so we eventually let him out to do his thing. kind of a pain to let him in and out but he at least used the bathroom outside 100% and was on somewhat of a schedule. The one downside to cats is the claws... they might rip up your furniture.

if you're in a rural area you could also consider just leaving food in the backyard. thats what my mom does. every time i go over there you might see a deer, racoon family, or turkeys chowing down. fun to watch.

LOL - "One Downside"? I think cats have a TON of downsides - even though your comments on ease of care are spot on. My GF had some when I met her and they were horrible.

Can't leave ANYTHING on a counter.
Hair EVERYWHERE.
Wake you up every GD night multiple times.
Knock anything and everything off tables, etc.
Can't keep them out of/off anything.
Aforementioned claws on everything.
Hers clawed at any closed door - no matter who was in the room.

I refused to spend more than a nite or 2 in a row there as I would get so pissed at them constantly waking us up, I could not even sleep. She finally found a crazy cat lady who wanted them and they are annoying someone else now. I will NEVER live in a house with cats - ever.
Haha. We have two male Main coons and one used to like to "campaign" at night. Thankfully he grew out of it. As for knocking things off countertops? Well ya. Thug life through and through. lol.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 3
Esteban42250.00
unluky7465.00
      09-17-2021, 05:13 PM   #60
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
LOL that's not the smell of their urine, it's just their natural smell. Well I mean it could have been if the store didn't keep their cages clean. Ferrets have a natural musky smell, it's normal and not really that bad, I've had ferrets before.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58913.50
      09-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #61
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Quote:
As you say. You should know better. But still, this referencing looks more excessive than convincing to me, unless, perhaps, polygamy is involved: "-Your wife... -Not that wife! A darling wife, from the upper harem.".
This post needs Google translate
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #62
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

other half

Quote:
LOL no way! Aw, that's too bad then.

Btw, what's "OH"?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #63
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

nope,

noun - informal
a person's wife, husband, or partner.
"treat your other half to a romantic outing for two"

sometimes depending on the company, I have used "better half", or even asked "how's your better half"

Native speakers of English use it to refer to one's spouse — the 'better half' can be the husband or the wife! The expression has been around for many centuries; in fact, the first person to use it was the Roman poet Horace. ... By the time it was borrowed into English, the term meant one's friend or one's lover.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614907.50
      09-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #64
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

just saved you

chiefly British, old-fashioned + humorous : a person's wife or husband
"I don't believe we have anything planned for that night, but let me check with my other half."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/other%20half

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #65
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

boyfriends/girlfriends or (boy boy / girl girl / trans whatever noun describes you) often use the term other half, better half,
though never heard or used DW / DH but the DD for daughter yes

other options:

'er indoors (wife/mistress/GF) 'er short for HER
the old slapper - usually between guy's for there wives for obvious reasons
the old fart - (male) obvious
trouble (Fem) - short for trouble and strife = wife
not uncommon for a fem (or gay couple) to call "wife" even in a non-married couple
and saw a girl referring to her long term boyfriend as a "hubby" (husband)

ok, so can we now quit on this distraction

maybe I should put a link for google translate or just use the 2nd best language the the world American English ( j/k )

Quote:

Last edited by nazali; 09-17-2021 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #66
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
LOL that's not the smell of their urine, it's just their natural smell. Well I mean it could have been if the store didn't keep their cages clean. Ferrets have a natural musky smell, it's normal and not really that bad, I've had ferrets before.
If you're saying it's their natural smell and not the urine that's even worse haha. They're very cute critters but the smell to me is unfortunately very off-putting and pungent. I'm sure they make good pets otherwise.
Appreciate 0