New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i

E-Bike Conversion

Has anyone converted an MBX to a Front Wheel Hub E-bike? Looking to do this to a fairly new mid grade bike.

Hurt my leg in early spring, and wasn't able to get on the bike for months. So, I bought a cheep chineese e-bike off amazon, and was able to get back out and get some exercise and fresh air. Really like the bike, and e-blke concept of pedal assist especially on uphill treks. I'm going rear wheel hub, as that is the easiest install. Also looking for a 1500w hub motor using a 54v battery. Must have separate throttle, and PAS.

Anyone already done this? What kit did you use? Any tips?

Last edited by 6oclockshadow; 09-05-2021 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Just had surgery, I would be interested to see the bike you got off Amazon
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/ANCHEER-Elect...s%2C365&sr=8-6
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's an excellent value overall, but a couple of quirks:

Pedal assist is not adjustable. You can't turn it off. The harder you pedal, the more assist, and I can't find a way to adjust it. It also has an independent throttle--twist and go, no pedaling required.
I just don't feel like I'm getting enough exercise, because PAS kicks in too soon, too hard. The bike is HEAVY, and even folded, won't fit in the trunk of my m340i with space saver spare. I have to put the seats down and put it in through the rear doors.

Other than that, this bike cruises! Can get up to 22MPH (+ with PAS) and battery life is excellent--up to 40 miles on a charge with pedal assist, up to 20 miles throttle only.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

WOW, had no idea that was a cheap one. Never even thought about one until your thread. Thanks for the info.
This is the one I liked on a quick search:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C8JSR66...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
WOW, had no idea that was a cheap one. Never even thought about one until your thread. Thanks for the info.
This is the one I liked on a quick search:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C8JSR66...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, that's very cheap for an e-bike. They start at around $800 and go to $20k and up. That one looks very nice. But be careful, the e-bike bug bites...I've owned this one for only two months, and I'm looking for an upgrade lol.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      09-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
Yes, that's very cheap for an e-bike. They start at around $800 and go to $20k and up.
Did you see the $200 off Amazon coupon? Tempting me for $599, even if I probably can't ride it for medical reasons.....
      09-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #8
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Did you see the $200 off Amazon coupon? Tempting me for $599, even if I probably can't ride it for medical reasons.....
That's really cheap. Even if you had to modify it. Happy hunting!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      09-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #9
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Although I am always suspect of ordering from Amazon when the reseller doesn't have the item in Amazon's warehouse for fulfillment, I just dropped the $599 with my fingers crossed that it isn't a scam.

There's a slightly larger 27.5" model for a bit more, which they are suggesting for riders over 6'. That model uses a different hub motor brand, and I can't find any reviews of it. Hence, going with the known 26" model, which is all over YouTube as the "Metakoo" brand with lots of happy purchasers.

One purchaser mentioned adding a $20 handlebar riser to make it more friendly for taller riders, which is something that I will investigate once the package arrives in 1-2 weeks.....
      09-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
I actually have 2... and I'm looking to build my first Mid-Drive this Fall.

For those of you who are into e-bikes probably know about the Stealth Bomber B-52. I have it slightly modified to get a little more speed. I weigh in at about 195lbs and it will still do 53 MPH.

The other one was mine, but its now the Wifes.. RadRover Fat Tire...for the most part its stock but I have an upgraded controller on order.

I'm building out a Bafang BBSHD 1500W Mid-Drive with a 52v battery. I'm debating on building it on a new bike or just sticking it on the RadRover..

Appreciate 1
      09-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #11
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN2 View Post
I actually have 2... and I'm looking to build my first Mid-Drive this Fall.

For those of you who are into e-bikes probably know about the Stealth Bomber B-52. I have it slightly modified to get a little more speed. I weigh in at about 195lbs and it will still do 53 MPH.

The other one was mine, but its now the Wifes.. RadRover Fat Tire...for the most part its stock but I have an upgraded controller on order.

I'm building out a Bafang BBSHD 1500W Mid-Drive with a 52v battery. I'm debating on building it on a new bike or just sticking it on the RadRover..

It's beautiful. But, what does that monster weigh?

I'm also going with a 1500w motor but rear hub, and a custom 54.4v battery, on a aluminum/CF hybrid MB. The Baafang 1500w rear hub seems one option, but I'm still researching. I wish bosch made a rear hub. Why aren't you going bosch for your mid drive build? Cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #12
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
It's beautiful. But, what does that monster weigh?

I'm also going with a 1500w motor but rear hub, and a custom 54.4v battery, on a aluminum/CF hybrid MB. The Baafang 1500w rear hub seems one option, but I'm still researching. I wish bosch made a rear hub. Why aren't you going bosch for your mid drive build? Cost?

My ex-girlfriend always asked me the same question... over and over..I had to let her go.. lol...

Yeah, the Bomber is a bit heavy at 106lbs. That's the downside of it. When we go on trips or mini vacations I'll bring both of them with me in the truck (F150). I have a set of foldable ramps that I use for me SuperMoto.

I have to ask you a question... are you set on a rear hub drive..? if so, why..? I was the same, but if you've even ridden a Mid-drive, it just pulls and pulls. Trust me, I'm with you, I wanted a hub drive until I did more research and drove a mid-drive. I'm not arguing your point, I'm just curious why that's all..

As for the Bosch motor.... the cost isn't an issue so much as the modifications that I can do with a Bafang or Cyclone motor. I'm not saying that you can't with a Bosch, I just haven't seen many of them upgraded for the speed and torque that I was looking for.

What do you have if I might ask...anything else..?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #13
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'm know that the mid drive is the preferred route. But, the MB is a Trek CF/Alum hybrid. The rear hub drive for me, is pretty much plug and play. I'd have to do major mods to get a mid drive motor in place. Right now, I may have to drill for the torque arms, but that's about it. I'd also rather use the bike I have than find another one I could convert to mid drive, so cost is a factor for me. I only got into E-biking this past spring due to a leg injury and immediately purchased a cheap chinese bike with a 350w/48v. It's a great value bike, but has some trade-offs--no adjustable PAS, and the weight--55lbs. I don't have a truck, lol...So I figure with the Trek/1500w hub, I'll have an under 30lb rocket, with a QR front wheel, since I can't fit ANYTHING in my M340i trunk (with mini spare). Also
I do not want to go 50mph on a bike! I live in the city, and will get myself killed, here. lol. Still researching a controller. The Bafang is easy enough to source, and i have a local MIT student building the battery for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Completely understood....Okay, I'm not sure what major mods that you would have to do, but if you feel comfortable with the hub drive then that is what you should stay with. I'm assuming that you have disc brakes on it...?

Yes, there is a ton of options for everything, controllers, batteries, etc.. The one thing that you may want to consider is... if you ever have a flat and have to change out the tire or tube, you'll have to disassemble the wiring harness, torque arms, etc.. and that hub can be a bit heavy...

Good luck with you project, keep us posted...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #15
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Completely understood....Okay, I'm not sure what major mods that you would have to do, but if you feel comfortable with the hub drive then that is what you should stay with. I'm assuming that you have disc brakes on it...?

Yes, there is a ton of options for everything, controllers, batteries, etc.. The one thing that you may want to consider is... if you ever have a flat and have to change out the tire or tube, you'll have to disassemble the wiring harness, torque arms, etc.. and that hub can be a bit heavy...

Good luck with you project, keep us posted...
Oh yes, disk brakes on the trek. I do have concerns of changing the tire when a flat occurs. It happened already on the chinese bike (rear hub), and was a real pia to fix. I think when that happens again, I'll take it to a bike shop. Lol. I just want to get up the hills, I got up before the injury.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

RelaxIN2 any videos of you shredding on that B52?
That things insane. I had no idea this was even a thing. Only bikes around here are beach cruisers for Mildred to go shell collecting
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #17
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
RelaxIN2 any videos of you shredding on that B52?
That things insane. I had no idea this was even a thing. Only bikes around here are beach cruisers for Mildred to go shell collecting
I dont have any video's of me riding, but, if you google Stealth Bomber ebike, there are a few videos out there.

The bike itself is make in Australia and I haven't seen too many over here in the States. To be honest, aside from mine, I've NEVER seen another one in person. A majority of the ones that I've seen are on the Forums but they live down south. There are alot of "Stealth Clones" though. They are limited and each have a authentication badge on the bike identifying what number it is...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #18
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I dont have any video's of me riding, but, if you google Stealth Bomber ebike, there are a few videos out there.

The bike itself is make in Australia and I haven't seen too many over here in the States. To be honest, aside from mine, I've NEVER seen another one in person. A majority of the ones that I've seen are on the Forums but they live down south. There are alot of "Stealth Clones" though. They are limited and each have a authentication badge on the bike identifying what number it is...
I ended up watching the promo videos on their site. Pretty freaking cool. For a guy who used to race BMX and just had hip surgery last week, this idea is totally appealing. The 50mph is a little scary though at 46 yrs old
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2021, 07:01 AM   #19
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Hey Tommy I hear you...!! but, 46 is the new 23 just with higher medical insurance premiums ...

Yes, if you check out YouTube videos, you'll see a few reviews and a lot actually riding experience on the bike. It truly is a lot of fun. And, not that you really need to, you can modify them to go even faster or further.

I'll take mine up to the local park and go riding through the trails and horse paths. The park rangers even have ebikes to get around faster. Granted, they dont have this type of ebike. They usually stop over to check it out and ask some questions.

I'll keep you posted on this Fat tire mid-drive I'm building now and let you know how it goes.

Here is another top speed link for the Stealth Bomber:

let me know what you think..!
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      09-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #20
Kool Kat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i

Garage List
2022 X6 M50i  [9.50]
I heard about the Aventon Level ebike as a good option. Anyone heard of it, own one or any feedback?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #21
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Honestly, if I had it to do all over again between the RadRover and the Aventon Aventure, I would go with the Aventon. I've never driven one so I can't provide any other information other than video reviews and specs...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #22
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
FedEx Home just dropped my $599 Amazon Cybertrack 100 package at our front door. I'll see if I have the energy to un-box it later. (Just lugging the box in through the front door has knocked me out!) The joys of living with heart failure.....