New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #177
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Maybe to avoid attracting pests or avoid people turning full yards into agriculture? Personally, I'd rather see a garden in my neighbor's yard than a trampoline that is never used or something else a hurricane can pick up and blow into my house or pool.

What about a loophole for few plants in pots on the back patio?
I thought about planting some veggies in the flower beds in my backyard but I don't know if HOA walks around the neighborhood looking for these?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #178
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I thought about planting some veggies in the flower beds in my backyard but I don't know if HOA walks around the neighborhood looking for these?
Can they see the backyard beds from the street or sidewalk? If not, you should be fine. It would be highly unusual for anyone to walk around on your property looking for violations.
      04-16-2019, 05:34 AM   #179
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can they see the backyard beds from the street or sidewalk? If not, you should be fine. It would be highly unusual for anyone to walk around on your property looking for violations.
Most of us don't have fences and were sitting on a 1/2 acre plus I'm the corner lot so everyone walking/driving by can see my backyard
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #180
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Oh come on you know HOAs will do that....I've a few people snooping around my house before.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #181
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Quote:
Oh come on you know HOAs will do that....I've a few people snooping around my house before.
Depends on how the house is situated and how far the HOA will push I guess. I've had people snoop in front from sidewalk or street but have never seen anyone in my backyard (and I work from home with a direct view of backyard from my office). It is a management company and nosy (usually retired) neighbors making the rounds. I may be wrong, but don't think they have any right to enter our property to look around for potential violations the can't see. I suppose a next door neighbor could invite them in to see something but doubtful that will happen for us.
      04-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #182
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i'll have to take pictures to show how our properties look. the only fencing allowed are the split rail fences. all the properties sit on a 1/2 acre so pretty much the whole neighborhood you can see all the way around
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #183
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
i'll have to take pictures to show how our properties look. the only fencing allowed are the split rail fences. all the properties sit on a 1/2 acre so pretty much the whole neighborhood you can see all the way around
How the hell am I supposed to sit in my Speedo in the backyard reading and get any sun?????
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #184
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
How the hell am I supposed to sit in my Speedo in the backyard reading and get any sun?????
Lol you know you want the whole neighborhood to see you butt naked! You probably do that in the front yard already
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #185
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Lol you know you want the whole neighborhood to see you butt naked! You probably do that in the front yard already
I only have fence on the sides, so is there REALLY a back yard????
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #186
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

After a soaking rain, our flowers just pop!

04-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #187
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Very nice and colorful! Can you tell me what they are?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #188
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very nice and colorful! Can you tell me what they are?
Sure. These are all Pansies.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #189
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

Been looking more at lawn tractors and have it narrowed down to a Husqvarna TS348 and JD X350.

Both have Kawasaki engines and are relatively the same price point.

Deere has $300 off thru the 30th so it make cost a wash. The one downside is K46 transaxle (which would be warrantied for 4 years or 300 hours). I'm looking into an upgrade kit to rebuilt it into a K66. Cost of the kit + lawn tractor is still less than the cost of getting a new, higher end model w/ a better transaxle. Haven't found any good used LTs in my area that I'd be willing to buy. People have also upgraded the K46 to a K57 which seems to help a little but otherwise make it more serviceable (which would also help).

The Husq comes with a K66 and the engine has 5.5 more horses (24 vs 18.5hp). Biggest downside I see is a number of frame complaints and the addition of a bolt on metal reinforcement strip to try to shore it up (vice reworking the frame or steel itself). The display/gauges on the it suck, too. Parts also seem to be harder to come by than Deere.
      04-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #190
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Been looking more at lawn tractors and have it narrowed down to a Husqvarna TS348 and JD X350.

Both have Kawasaki engines and are relatively the same price point.

Deere has $300 off thru the 30th so it make cost a wash. The one downside is K46 transaxle (which would be warrantied for 4 years or 300 hours). I'm looking into an upgrade kit to rebuilt it into a K66. Cost of the kit + lawn tractor is still less than the cost of getting a new, higher end model w/ a better transaxle. Haven't found any good used LTs in my area that I'd be willing to buy. People have also upgraded the K46 to a K57 which seems to help a little but otherwise make it more serviceable (which would also help).

The Husq comes with a K66 and the engine has 5.5 more horses (24 vs 18.5hp). Biggest downside I see is a number of frame complaints and the addition of a bolt on metal reinforcement strip to try to shore it up (vice reworking the frame or steel itself). The display/gauges on the it suck, too. Parts also seem to be harder to come by than Deere.
How hilly is your yard and do you plan on towing a lot of ground engaging implements or plowing?

While the K66 is stronger, the K46 isn't exactly a toothpick. It can be serviced by dropping it out of the machine (4 bolts, 2 pins and a belt). I have a few family members with them and they have over 500 hours.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
bosstones1144.00
      04-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #191
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
How hilly is your yard and do you plan on towing a lot of ground engaging implements or plowing?

While the K66 is stronger, the K46 isn't exactly a toothpick. It can be serviced by dropping it out of the machine (4 bolts, 2 pins and a belt). I have a few family members with them and they have over 500 hours.
It's gradually sloped for drainage but nothing very cumbersome. The most sloped spots are next to the end of my driveway and the back easement.

I have a side-load garage and the lawn area adjacent to the end of the driveway is sloped quite a bit. I don't even think I'd try to run a lawn tractor over it. Wrt the back easment, the slope down into the drainage run isn't horrible and I figure that'd be mowed lateral to the slope so I wasn't fighting uphill. Wrt the upward slope at the back of the yard, I don't even take care of it. My plan is to tear it out for tallgrass and other plantings (eventually). Any mowing in the meantime would be perpindicular to the slope as well. I attached some crappy cell phone pix taken at a bad time of day for reference.

I assume not since even JD uses it in the X3xx-series up to the...380, I believe. It's just been hard to gauge how much people have overused it from all the online posts/forums/reviews I've seen. Since I see it as a weak point in my trade-off, I just wanted to know what options were out there.

Ground implements, no. Occasionally pulling a dump cart and core aerator, yes.
Attached Images

04-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #192
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Easter.... gardenia.
Attached Images

wrickem2101.00
      04-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #193
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Getting ready to bloom as you can see the colors coming thru

and a couple of days after

first mow of the year! loving the stripes!

home made striping kit. who's made theirs?

also used the lawn edger attachment for the first time. the grass comes over the sidewalk at least a good 3" on both sides! gonna need to take my pressure hose and see if those stains will remove

Appreciate 6
      04-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #194
Timdm3
Rep

Drives: F10 m5

Isturbointeg you are dominating. Nice work.

Was just contemplating making a stripe kit for my double deck walk behind. I read something about pvc pipe capped and filled with sand? Think that would produce enough weight?
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #195
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdm3 View Post
Isturbointeg you are dominating. Nice work.

Was just contemplating making a stripe kit for my double deck walk behind. I read something about pvc pipe capped and filled with sand? Think that would produce enough weight?
It works. Seen some DIY's but never seen any reviews for long term use. Mine is pretty heavy and just the thought of pvc and sand only I think wouldn't be enough as far as weight
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #196
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
It's gradually sloped for drainage but nothing very cumbersome. The most sloped spots are next to the end of my driveway and the back easement.

I have a side-load garage and the lawn area adjacent to the end of the driveway is sloped quite a bit. I don't even think I'd try to run a lawn tractor over it. Wrt the back easment, the slope down into the drainage run isn't horrible and I figure that'd be mowed lateral to the slope so I wasn't fighting uphill. Wrt the upward slope at the back of the yard, I don't even take care of it. My plan is to tear it out for tallgrass and other plantings (eventually). Any mowing in the meantime would be perpindicular to the slope as well. I attached some crappy cell phone pix taken at a bad time of day for reference.

I assume not since even JD uses it in the X3xx-series up to the...380, I believe. It's just been hard to gauge how much people have overused it from all the online posts/forums/reviews I've seen. Since I see it as a weak point in my trade-off, I just wanted to know what options were out there.

Ground implements, no. Occasionally pulling a dump cart and core aerator, yes.
It should be fine for that. I would change the fluid to a 15w50 synthetic (Tuff Torq now recommends this) at around 100 hours or so and you should be fine from there. It isn't a bad transmission, but many people use them for ground engaging attachments like plows to push dirt and tow heavy things and wonder they they don't last. I think especially because of the price the Deere brand carries, many end up buying a smaller machine than they actually need.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      04-25-2019, 11:20 PM   #197
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Isturbointeg.... LOVIN IT!!!
      04-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #198
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Smile

My first bloom from the Orange Rose shrub I planted a couple of weeks ago:

And thanks to my sister & bro in law for bringing us some beautiful and vibrant Mexican Talavera Pots and Wall Art to brighten up our Patio. I've had several flowers ready to plant which I knocked out today: