E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335is - gap insurance worth it?

09-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
335is - gap insurance worth it?

Guys, I just got into a brand spanking new 335is, and while the 0.9% financing is awesome, I got talked into buying the gap insurance.

What do you guys think, is it worth it? I see the concept behind the idea, but this is supposed to be a limited BMW (made till 2012 I suppose). Should I keep it? I believe it's approx $18/mo, but I have been told I can cancel it any time...not sure if I'm wasting my money.

Let me know if anyone has it, pros/cons for keeping it, etc

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
RacerUnderTheSon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray 335is

depends how much you put down. if you put 0 or a small amount down, definitely keep it... it will protect you if something happens to the car, accident, stolen, etc
      09-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

It is a very simple calculation that has little to do with the car.

If the car were totaled today, would you be OK with covering the difference between what the insurance pays you and what you owe BMW?

The insurance company will give you "fair market value" that - in the first couple of years of a car's life (in this price category) is about $10k less than what you owe.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Eights-n-Aces
[]D []-[] []_[] []< []\[] []_[] ']['
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible/Le Mans Blue/

Garage List
Both accurate. Depends on how much you put down and whether you are comfortable with the risk of covering the difference between fair market value and what you owe.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Guys, I just got into a brand spanking new 335is, and while the 0.9% financing is awesome, I got talked into buying the gap insurance.

What do you guys think, is it worth it? I see the concept behind the idea, but this is supposed to be a limited BMW (made till 2012 I suppose). Should I keep it? I believe it's approx $18/mo, but I have been told I can cancel it any time...not sure if I'm wasting my money.

Let me know if anyone has it, pros/cons for keeping it, etc

Thanks!
Buy it from your insurance company for alot less!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I'll put it another way, if you need gap insurance you can not afford the car.

Dealership came up with this little gem because of people who walk in to buy a new car pay more than the car is worth and the sell them gap since they know they will be underwater as soon as the walk out the door. Some loan companies are now requiring this on low down payment buyers.

I also seen Gap insurance which covers the New car for the first year. If the car is a total lost the insurance covers the difference in the car value and what is would cost to replace new. It just covers the depreciated value of the car
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
GTakacs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by igom3 View Post
Buy it from your insurance company for alot less!
+1. My insurance company, Progressive, offers it for about $20/year.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post

Dealership came up with this little gem because of people who walk in to buy a new car pay more than the car is worth and the sell them gap since they know they will be underwater as soon as the walk out the door. Some loan companies are now requiring this on low down payment buyers.

I also seen Gap insurance which covers the New car for the first year. If the car is a total lost the insurance covers the difference in the car value and what is would cost to replace new. It just covers the depreciated value of the car
That's a bit extreme, isn't it.

No down on a 5 year loan for a "well optioned" car is in the $800 range a month.

Popular financial commentators suggest that you should be prepared financially to weather 3-6 months of bills.

The moment you drive out of the dealership you car drops by $10k or more - that is the equivalent of a year's payments.

Can you afford that?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
GTakacs
Private
Rep

Quote:
I beg to disagree. When dealers are offering 0.9% you'd be a fool to put any money down on a conventional loan. And since you would be doing a sign and drive it only makes sense to get GAP coverage that way you don't have to pay for the depreciation during the first 3 years while you're upside down on your loan. Whether you want to pay for such insurance is up to you, but at the rate my insurance co. charges it's a no brainer to have it.

I'd also mention that GAP coverage is built into every lease term as with a lease you're always upside down all the way to the very end when you turn in the car.

So I would not say that just because you buy GAP insurance it means you couldn't afford the car in the first place. Now people who lease because they want a lower payment and could not afford the higher payment and therefore lease for the wrong reasons is a completely different story...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
It covers car depreciation for first 1-2 years. It depends on how much you put down, your loan agreement interests rate etc. Some of the insurance companies have “guarantied” cost replacement for the first year of your loan. Read your insurance policy or simply call your insurance company
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:

Oh really?

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Thanks for the responses guys! Evidently I'm aware of what GAP insurance stands for, however, I was trying/hoping to bank on the fact that the 'is' is a special car (more so than the 335i) hence it will hold its value better. And to provide concrete data for the helpful posts, the only money I put down were the taxes...

And, as a side soapbox moment, since I do not have 10k lying around just to pay off my car should it be totaled, then I suppose I must not belong to the elite society that some esteemed forum members are fortunate to join. Regardless, I thank all who provided helpful comments - I'll check with Geico on the GAP insurance offers.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Thanks for the responses guys! Evidently I'm aware of what GAP insurance stands for, however, I was trying/hoping to bank on the fact that the 'is' is a special car (more so than the 335i) hence it will hold its value better. And to provide concrete data for the helpful posts, the only money I put down were the taxes...

And, as a side soapbox moment, since I do not have 10k lying around just to pay off my car should it be totaled, then I suppose I must not belong to the elite society that some esteemed forum members are fortunate to join. Regardless, I thank all who provided helpful comments - I'll check with Geico on the GAP insurance offers.

Like any insurance, the questions isn't always "can you afford it" but "is it worth the risk?"

I could afford the $10k difference, but the $350 for gap insurance was a no brainer for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Skully
Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

There is no such thing as a special car to an insurance company. They will find a way to give you a low ball value if it get's totaled. Mine did when my motorcycle was stolen a few years ago.

Gap insurance for me is a no brainer but not all gap policies are created equal so read the fine print.
      09-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
flyby
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530i 2007 BMW

Gap is b.s I totaled my 530i it's the insurances job to pay off the car. Most of the time they will try to save some money and offer you Less than you have to pay to BMW. Don't accept and they will end up paying the car! What sucks is what you put down for the car and what you have paid for it so far you lose it all
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #16
GTakacs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Gap is b.s I totaled my 530i it's the insurances job to pay off the car. Most of the time they will try to save some money and offer you Less than you have to pay to BMW. Don't accept and they will end up paying the car! What sucks is what you put down for the car and what you have paid for it so far you lose it all
You sir clearly have no idea how GAP or insurance works. If you put a substantial amount of money down at the time of purchase you do not need/want GAP. But if you bought with zero down then you probably want to cover yourself for the difference between the depreciated value and the amount you owe on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:

Huh? Gap insurance covers the difference between what the ins will pay to total the vehicle and what you owe. You mine as well say that "if you need insurance at all (in other words, you can't afford to buy another car if you lose your current car), you can't afford the car."

If you owe $20,000 and the car is worth $15,000 and it gets totaled, your regular insurance will pay the $15,000 and the gap ins will pay $5,000. It's all about money. The gap insurance protects you from a $5k hit, and the regular ins protects you from a $15,000 hit. Yes the cost of the gap insurance should be calculated based on the expected BB value of the car and your expected amount owed on the car, but if it is calculated correctly, it should be no more of a "gimmick" than the regular insurance.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTakacs View Post
You sir clearly have no idea how GAP or insurance works. If you put a substantial amount of money down at the time of purchase you do not need/want GAP. But if you bought with zero down then you probably want to cover yourself for the difference between the depreciated value and the amount you owe on the car.
GAP is something that nobody should ever pay. But it was invented by financiers, they will always come up with a way to take your money downtown.

Let's be real, this is not the place to turn for financial advice. There has been advice given that it's dumb to pay off a car. So of course there's going to be advice to the 180, encouraging zero down.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
First, my insurance automactically includes gap insurance. Check with your insurance company.

Second, I wouldn't consider the IS a limited edition with anymore value (depreciating with the car) than any other options on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
graves4r6
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

If you have the hugo neg equity on the car then the Gap insurance is A must!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #21
andrewket
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
First, my insurance automactically includes gap insurance. Check with your insurance company.

Second, I wouldn't consider the IS a limited edition with anymore value (depreciating with the car) than any other options on the car.
And in fact if you look at the residuals on BMW leases you will see that *BMW finance* believes that after 3 years a 335is = 335 FMV.

A
2010 Honda Civic LX
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
AlexH
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93

Quote:

Ditto! You only need it when you pay too much for a car. If you got your deal right, you should not worry about not having enough equity to cover the loan balance in an event of a total loss.
Appreciate 0