New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #23
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aija View Post
BMW will lose its exclusivity even more.. Theres already alot of BMW's out on the road, now imagine by 2020 with twice the amount of BMW's.......

oh well...thank god there are other brands to choose from.
Go check out the non-urban/non-resort areas of the country and you'll see BMWS are very rare. Sure in San Fran, L.A., NYC, DC, Chicago, Palm Beach, etc., BMWs are all over the place....

And truthfully, BMWs aren't exotic cars, so what' the point of trying to be exclusive. Bentleys and Maseratis are exclusive. BMWs, at least the ones that are the bread and butter of BMW revenue, aren't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #24
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
oh my, where's my popcorn

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #25
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
Exclusivity means nothing to BMW. It doesn't make them more money by having less cars on the road obviously. Honestly, I don't know why you guys are up in arms over this.
I'm up in arms about one thing and one thing only: COST CUTTING. Sometimes that is a good thing because you are curing inefficiencies, however, it can also be a very bad thing because you are in fact cutting down on the the little things that ensured quality and balance.

Plus, what happened to the mantra that you can't design one engine to fit all cars?

BMW wasn't just BMW because of its name, but because of how it designed and built its cars, cutting corners (like recycling the parts bin) is the fast lane to failure.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #26
mmm def
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
this is going to be good, a car to compete with the gti from vw.... this is all sorts of win
My GTI will go bye bye the day this happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #27
Vel
Private
Rep

Drives: Looking for a Z4

The thing I'm worried about is BMW trying to compete with the lower-end; lower-end means cutting features/quality, which can dilute the brand
      09-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #28
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post
And then we shall invade Poland!
Right you are - the news was released nearly on the anniversary (Poland was invaded on September 1, 1939).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #29
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I'm up in arms about one thing and one thing only: COST CUTTING. Sometimes that is a good thing because you are curing inefficiencies, however, it can also be a very bad thing because you are in fact cutting down on the the little things that ensured quality and balance.

Plus, what happened to the mantra that you can't design one engine to fit all cars?

BMW wasn't just BMW because of its name, but because of how it designed and built its cars, cutting corners (like recycling the parts bin) is the fast lane to failure.

Cheers,
e46e92
So you are afraid of BMW changing their name to GM-W?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #30
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

As for BMW's big model push , I have mentioned about it previously because the main product push for growth will be soley based within the 1er and 3er. Which we will expand the model series to accomodate new segments. And of course we will introduce a stylish unique city car concept that will introduce a Front wheel Drive BMW without losing core BMW attributes.

And then our equally important MegaCity Concept Vehicle which is really going to appeal especially with it's futuristic design that will accomodate the technology underneath.
Then there is the MINI brand which will share structure , engines etc from BMW's new FWD model that the entire programme will be cost effective for BMW.

BMW are not doing cost-cutting what they are doing is being cost-effective, so that a lot of models can be conceived off on structure or modular platform.

In 2011 we will show as a Concept a first progression of taking the 3er out of it's comfort zone as we did with the 5er Gran Turismo.
Although sharing the same badge , The 5er Gran Turismo is about travelling in first class and in style and luxury.
The 3er Gran Turismo is also about the above but also add driving fast to it's list of attributes.

Lower and Sleeker than the 5er GT it is more of fastback shape in tune with the idea of the CS Concept and again sharing a different appearance to the regular 3er model.
This Concept will probably debut in Shanghai in April 2011.

A year ago at Frankfurt a journalist said to me that he does not see Audi living up to it's 2015 expectations as long as BMW delivers cutting edge car design such as the Vision Efficient Dynamics.
In his opinion as long as the BMW brand stays unique and completely anonymous from it's competitors it will succeed. If it tries to immitate or assimilate it's competitors it wont.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #31
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Drives: Yes

the future is gonna be good
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #32
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
Impossible. BMW will have to cut corners in order to accomplish this. We all know what happened to MB: Chrysler-like quality interior.
omg! the quality took a HUGE nose dive. hope bmw is not headed in that direction. and if they are, they better not be charging me top dollar
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #33
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post

Cheers,
e46e92
Appreciate 0