New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

03-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #67
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
No, it's not like Warcraft 3. I'll post up a screen shot of what "Your Profile" looks like now. I don't have to be at work today until 5pm! w00t! I just woke up! Haha!

Some people are doing this already...but it's usually just griefers. "Oh man, I've lost so many games in a row...this game sucks...everyone just does...blah blah...I never even get to tier 3..." I have made some friends on BNET 2.0, and we play some custom games when our pool is low (points awarded when you win).

Yeah, it's when a player sends a replay to Blizzard and complains that a hack was used. It's not a very effiecient system.
eh i hope that they could come up with something too.
      03-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #68
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I just found out below Bronze is a Copper League...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #69
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just found out below Bronze is a Copper League...
what you mean?
      03-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #70
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 201 335i xDrive

How did you guys get the beta keys? I've been dying for one, but even if I do get it I might just sell it for $300. Can't believe some people are paying $300 for a beta, but they are. Can't wait til this game comes out though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #71
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider23 View Post
How did you guys get the beta keys? I've been dying for one, but even if I do get it I might just sell it for $300. Can't believe some people are paying $300 for a beta, but they are. Can't wait til this game comes out though.
wtf damn i should've signed up then
      03-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #72
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I have a couple of friends who work for Blizzard. That's how I got mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #73
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a couple of friends who work for Blizzard. That's how I got mine.
ah lucky. must be great working for blizzard
      03-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #74
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burberry View Post
what you mean?
I didn't even know there was a Copper League. I thought it was just Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #75
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I'm pretty much done with the game until the next patch. It's totally broke right now, everyone does the same thing every game. I wish I could say I knew/trusted you guys enough with my account name/password, I'd let you have a go at it. The way Battle.net is set up now it's not just the account, but all your CD keys, games, and account profiles are stored and easily accessible after login. Also, as previously mentioned, real name and other personal identification are tied to your account.

You win a few, you lose a few, but it's the same game, same units every single game.
There's also Battle.net elitists, who feel like they have to tell you what you're doing wrong all the time. I played a 2vs2 where my ally was telling me he was going Zealot rush to Void Rays. I told him I was going Ghosts and Nukes. He started CAPS yelling at me and telling me I'm a noob and to just MMM.*

As to what everyone does:
Protoss
Either Zealot Rush, or a few Zealots and cannons, turtling in.
After either of those starts, tech to Void Rays, GG.
If other player has AA, tech to Mothership, and mass some units, GG.
Terran
Turtle in at a ramp using Supply Depots and Barracks.
Depending on opponent's race, tech for Banshees or just mass Marines/Marauders and upgrade Marine's to carry a Shield and Stim Pack, use Medivacs to either drop or just follow and heal.
Some Terran players never even go Banshees. As it stands, it's VERY hard to stop Marines/Marauders/Medivacs (now referred to as MMM).*
Zerg
Either Zergling rush and tech to Roaches, or just straight Roaches. Tier 3 Roaches have an ability to let them regenerate their HP faster than 4 Marines focusing fire on one can damage, so you can imagine what that leads to.

If it's a mirror game, it's just a matter of who does what better. I lost a game to a Protoss vs Protoss because he was able to get Void Rays slightly faster than me. He had 3 I had 2, so he destroyed me faster. I think I've already talked about buildings being too quickly demolished. He had no Photon Cannons except at his ramp (preventing rush) and I had 6 near my Nexus. They didn't do anything other than get destroyed.

I have a friend in Platinum League bottom 20 of the league for 1v1. He said all he does is Zergling rush every game and wins most of the time. He's also semi-retired until a patch comes out to make the game worth playing.

It's good that it's still in beta phase, if it came out the way it is now, I wouldn't be buying this game.

*Terran can wall in preventing a rush early on. They'll have Marines/Marauders and Medivacs before you will have any kind of AOE (really the only thing that will stop it). Zerg has no AOE, all they can do is get Mutalisks and hope Terran doesn't have Anti-Air around their base. Then when Terran hits your base, you hit their base. Protoss have Colossus (which is really good AOE), and High Templar (AOE that hits ground and air). Terran can MMM vs MMM. It's then a focus fire (micro war), tech, and who can keep their Medivacs safe while allowing them to heal...or who can sneak a few drops into the other guys' base/expansion(s).

Last edited by Mega Man; 03-13-2010 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #76
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Zerg Buildings, any of them familiar to you?

Zerg Units, how many can you name?

2 Dark Templar and a High Templar walk into a bar...

Notice the two variations of Dark Templar, one with a single blade, and one with a double scythe.
The Protoss Air Force

Protoss Robotics Gang

Gateway Group Posing for a Picture

Gateway and Warpgate

Forge and Photon Cannons
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #77
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I'll take pics of whatever you want in game, screen shots are easy enough. Different units/buildings at different angles. You can zoom in/out like in Warcraft 3, and also rotate the camera 90 degrees left or right (like Warcraft 3).

I can take before/after shots of certain units: one of the above pics is showing Zerglings with wings (they get the speed upgrade and grow wings), Terran Marines can carry shields after an upgrade...Terran Vikings can be airborne or land based.

I'll get some Terran pics up later. I just choose Random every time, so, the pics from above are just randomly assigned race. I'll be sure to choose Terran and get some shots in for you guys though...

Sorry for crap SC2 videos, I'm not willing to invest money into recording software that doesn't serve any purpose to me. I'll be happy to record them from my cell phone and post them on YouTube by request, but the quality will be the same as it has been.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #78
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
M'eh, wasn't doing anything atm, so I just took Terran shots now.

A typical Terran wall-in:

There's another variation where one might use 3 Supply Depots and no Barracks, or a Barracks and it's add-on and a Supply Depot.
You can lower your Supply Depots to let your guys out:

Basic Command Center

Command Center with Com-Sat:

Comsat adds Command Center abilities: Scanner Sweep, MULE, and a Supply Depot Addition. Scanner Sweep is the same as SC1, MULE is a temporary super SCV that gathers minerals faster. The Supply Depot add-on adds 8 food units to one Supply Depot.
Different Add-ons to Barracks:

Ghost Academy

Needed to build Ghosts and research their abilities. Nuke Silos are no longer added to Command Centers, but instead built at Ghost Academies. You can have one nuke per academy, and nukes no longer require "food."
Terran Ghost

There are destructible barriers that you have to watch, either because your enemy has destroyed them and they now have another way into your base, or because you see minerals/gas on the map and want to expand, but forgot there's destructibles in the way:

Not a problem for Reapers, since they can boost over walls:

The Terran Air Force

Left to right: Viking, Banshee, Raven, Medivac, and Battlecruiser. If you have them all selected like in the picture, Raven is the defualt units abilities on your screen. It takes the place of the Science Vessel from SC1. It's a detector and has no actual attack. However, it has 3 abilities: Gun Turret (on the ground, shoots enemy units), Laser Defense System (destroys enemy projectiles, about 10 per system deployed), and a Rocket which locks onto an enemy of your choosing and deals AOE on contact. The rocket lasts for (I think) 20 seconds, so if the enemy moves their unit and is chased by the rocket, it's possible to not be hit at all.
Terran Vikings can change to land or air

Last edited by Mega Man; 03-13-2010 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #79
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
The two different Add-ons to Terran Factories: one allows you to build 2 units at the same time (useless since it only allows 2 Hellions at a time). The other allows you to build Siege Tanks and THORs.

Marines with shields. Shields add 10 HP to Marines.

The different Barracks Add-ons and a Missile Turret at the bottom left:

A Sensor Tower (selected)

No one uses this thing, it costs 100 minerals and 100 gas. What it does (hard to see in the screen shot) is show you enemy units as pings on your screen even if they're still in the fog of war. Sounds pretty good, and worth the 100 minerals/gas, right? It also makes a big circle on the mini-map of all the players in the game, the tower being the center of the circle.
Starports and their Add-ons (one allowing 2 units to be produced at a time, the other giving access to Banshees, Ravens and Battlecruisers (with Fusion Core):

This Command Center has been upgraded with Planetary Fortress, and has a THOR guarding it:

Siege Tanks (one in siege mode, one not) around a bunker at a ramp):

That bunker can be upgraded to hold 6 Marines instead of 4:

Command Centers can also load SCV's:

You can do this to save them from being attacked. You can also build a Command Center, load the SCVs, move that CC somewhere else, and unload the SCV's to have instant workers.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #80
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep

still looks pretty sick. any idea when the release will be coming around? Late 2010?

i thought there'd be more races.
      03-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #81
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I would bet on late 2010, possibly as late as mid 2011. Definitely not this summer. Has too many imbalances. The only race that has decent Anti-Air is Terran at the moment. Zerg AA is a joke, and Protoss AA is nearly non-existent.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #82
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would bet on late 2010, possibly as late as mid 2011. Definitely not this summer. Has too many imbalances. The only race that has decent Anti-Air is Terran at the moment. Zerg AA is a joke, and Protoss AA is nearly non-existent.
damn.
      03-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #83
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Colossus and Immortals are just insane. I love Protoss. Terran got a lot stronger, I feel zerg requires much more micro managing than before but it's nice not having to build 12 hatcheries to get crazy.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #84
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

Quote:
Those seem like they should be easy to change. Just increase damage here and decrease there.

From what I've been reading, they sound pretty certain for a July release date. But then again, this is Blizzard, so they could say they meant July 2011, lol.

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #85
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post
Those seem like they should be easy to change. Just increase damage here and decrease there.

From what I've been reading, they sound pretty certain for a July release date. But then again, this is Blizzard, so they could say they meant July 2011, lol.
still a long way..
      03-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #86
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Colossus and Immortals are just insane. I love Protoss. Terran got a lot stronger, I feel zerg requires much more micro managing than before but it's nice not having to build 12 hatcheries to get crazy.
Colossus and Immortals are great, but Protoss have no good AA. Stalkers are only 6 damage +6 to Armored (means nothing vs Mutas). Phoenixs are alright but not as good as Mutas. There's another problem with cost: Stalkers are 125 Minerals and 50 Gas. They have 60 on Shields and 80 on HP. Marauders are 100 Minerals and 25 Gas. They have 125 HP. They do 10 damage +2 to Armored. They can't hit air units, but they do more damage to unarmored units and the same to armored units as Stalkers for less Gas! They can also be healed by Medivacs, can use Stim Pack, and their attack slows the movement speed of whatever it is they're attacking!

I wasn't much of a Zerg Player in SC1, but I can say that I believe in 1v1, Zerg is my best race in SC2. I disagree with the amount of micro needed, as you can set a Hatchery to have 2 different rally points, one for your Drones, and one for your non-workers. The non-worker rally is already set to Attack-Move so they will engage anything on the way (and as long as you keep your eye on your mini-map, you shouldn't have a problem with them being kite-ed. You can also cut down on the number of Hatcheries needed to get mass units by investing in a Queen or two. They can force a Hatchery to spawn 4 eggs which hatch into larvae for you to use.

Queens in SC2 are great early units for several reasons. They can attack land/air units (so if scouted by Zerg's Overlord, you can get that pesky pig out of your base). They can heal Zerg Buildings. I've had a game where the guy kept rushing my expansion and only targeting the building. Although I was killing his units, he was bringing my Hatchery close to destruction every time. Thankfully, a couple of Queens healed it very quickly while being attacked. They can spawn more larvae. There are no more Creep Colonies, so to expand Creep, you have to use their Creep Tumor ability.

Queens are also nice because they are born from the Hatchery, and don't require the use of a Larvae. The downside is that they cost 150 Minerals, and take a while to be born. This can greatly slow down your tech in a fast game. They can however, spell the difference between the loss to a rush, and a come-back.

If faced by mass Mutas, all a Protoss can do is try and kite, and maybe have High Templar Psi-Storm. But a good player will be able to out micro the Psi-Storm, especially with High-Templar being a ground unit with a slow move speed, and the Mutas being air units with just under the fastest of move speeds. Archons no longer do splash damage, so they don't work too well vs mass Mutas, and Stalkers will only do 6 damage per shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #87
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post

Who knows about the release date with Blizzard. No one on beta has even touched the campaign mode yet.

It's more than just damage increase/decrease. It's also unit build times. It's possible to not have to mess with damage that much if they increase build times on some units. Blizz has already addressed this with Terran Reapers. They used to build fairly quickly, and would be a nightmare on your backdoor. They now take a pretty long time to build.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #88
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Just got an email to invite a friend to the beta...so, any of you with friends in the beta, ask them before they give it to another friend!

They're also going to reset the ladder and everything else with a new BNET version.
I think there will be a lot of ladder abuse with this reset...

Last edited by Mega Man; 03-18-2010 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0