New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #111
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
Consider that I drove a 280Z in Northern Michigan and I did not have a choice about going to work or not. This was during cold war days and we flew regardless of the amount of snow on the road. That said, I used studded snow tires and bags of sand in the back. (I also have some pro-rally experience from that time.)

Today, I use summer tires year round. If it is slippery, my 135I will not make it out of my driveway which is 300 feet long with a very steep hill. When it snows, I park the Avalanche and the Audi at the top of the driveway (at street level). It is unlikely that any car/truck will stop before going into the woods behind the house if the driveway is icy. The Porsches are great in a few inches of snow with the right tires (I drove one in Northern Maine). The majority of other drivers in this area have little experience on snow and ice and and are out to impress each other with their four-wheel-drive driving prowess. There are lots on intersection incidents and out of control lane crossings.

To more directly answer your question -- I am comfortable about my ability to keep the car on the road and headed in the right direction; but, I am terrified of the other drivers when conditions deteriorate. The two wheel drive BMW suffers from the lack of limited slip and overly intrusive driving aids. But; if it snows and you have proper tires and some weight in the trunk, you should have no problems when faced with unexpected light snow, provided you exercise caution. While I drive with the aids off on the track or the skid pad, I would never turn them off for daily driving.

FWIW -- I have no background with any F-20 series BMW.

Thanks for the feedback. pretty much what I expected which means I'm pretty much guarunteed to be getting a s4. I don't see the 335xi being quite right and it sounds like I'll be happy to have awd on my daily driver.

I'm still going to test driver the 1's and 3's but since i always loved driving my ex's 09 A4, I can't imagine not liking the 13 s4.
Appreciate 0