New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #45
x5m power
M3 V8 Power "The Last of Best"
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 M3 comp edition

HP ..................

Wow nice job, hope it doesn't build up too much heat, that turbo get's hott. I hope the underside of hood get's good kevlar heat wrap.. Great work,that fabricator has great talent.. That valve cover is plastic, is it going to melt????
      09-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #46
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 135

This thread reeks of epicness
      09-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #47
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Mcoupe

Where's the wastegate going to dump? What's he going to do about a radiator fan? And was the anti surge really necessary for a pt62? Just weird things I noticed.

Pretty awesome, a manifold that requires the head to come off takes some serious dedication. Can he at least get the turbo on and off with the manifold on? One day I'll learn to fabricate like that.
      09-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #48
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Where's the wastegate going to dump? What's he going to do about a radiator fan? And was the anti surge really necessary for a pt62? Just weird things I noticed.

Pretty awesome, a manifold that requires the head to come off takes some serious dedication. Can he at least get the turbo on and off with the manifold on? One day I'll learn to fabricate like that.
he probably isnt going to run the stock radiator fan, most guys are running aftermarket electric fans in front of the radiator.

based on where the wastegate is i'm guessing its an open dump?
      09-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #49
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Mcoupe

There is room in front of the radiator for another fan? I thought they put them at the back.
      09-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #50
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
you're right, it is very close to the radiator. however, if you think about the way the S52 moves (or more appropriately rotates) under load, you note that the manifold, turbo, wastegate, and everything else attached to the motor will rotate in the same direction - and that rotation is about the longitudinal axis of the car. thus the wastgate will not move toward or away from the backside of the radiator - rather it will rotate within a plane parallel to the plane that is the backside of the radiator. i have yet to post pics, but you'll soon see the custom radiator shroud Shawn made, and how its fits nicely around the wastegate.

the advice about under-hood temps is duly noted, as there have been instances with boosted e36 M3s where under-hood temps have been a problem for the plastic end tanks of the OEM radiator. and so its something we're going to keep a close eye on.
The engine obviously moves a lot more left and right under torque but from what I understand there is some amount of fore and aft movement just from the weight of the drive line under accel and decel.

Looks like a cool project. I can't wait to see it running.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #51
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 MW F82

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #52
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

wow.............................................
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #53
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Very cool!

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #54
mcoupes52
Rep

Drives: 1999 Estoril M Coupe

Some more progress today

New radiator shroud done

Some extra blow (8" Perma-cool 2100cfm mini fan), oil cooler, and power steering cooler mounted

Tial Q BOV in place

Bling with the bumper on!

09-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #55
mcoupes52
Rep

New throttle cable just arrived. Had to make a new bracket to hold the TB side cable end. The factory bracket didn't allow for the correct clearance or allow any adjustment to get the play out of the cable. So here you go, now we can

Picked up the fittings and line for the oil cooler today and got started on that this evening

We oddly enough picked an oil cooler which uses inverted flare fittings. To get them to the standard blue/red fitting had to cut the fitting supplied with the cooler and weld on AN standard flare fittings

After their surgery

Almost there!

Well guys we are almost there! Waiting on a few last pieces to finish up the fab work, AEM water/meth and HKS muffler so I can finish up the exhaust. Other than those two things engine wise we are set to go! Wideband and EBC still need to be installed and wired. By that time we should have our base tune from Nick G and be ready to head to the east coast for Nick to custom tune the car in person on the dyno.

I want to thank everyone that has been following the build. I appreciate everyones comments and input along the way! My fab guy ( Shawn @ www.1552v2.com)started this project 100% new to fabrication work of this sort and having never touched a TIG before, it was surely a learning experience for him! Thanks again for the support throughout and we should soon have the dyno #'s and videos we have all been waiting for!

So, who's ready?

09-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #56
mcoupes52
Rep

Exhaust Done!

Underside shot

Some outside quick/dirty glamour shots, just awaiting the ECU!

09-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #57
Mehta916
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives:

so sexy
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #58
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90 awd View Post
That valve cover is plastic, is it going to melt????
we don't think it will melt the valve cover with the lava wrap in place around the DP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post

- the wastegate is going to dump to atmosphere, just behind the radiator fan and shroud.

- see updated pics for radiator fan solution. it is not the OEM fan, and yes, it will be on the backside of the radiator.

- as far as the anti surge goes, well, surge is surge. its a "better safe than sorry" precaution, and will help some in the event of a BOV failure, which we're not worried about either...again, just another fail safe and peace of mind. perhaps Brian or Shawn may have something more to say about it.

- i believe the turbo can be removed/swapped while the manifold is still mounted to the head & block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
based on where the wastegate is i'm guessing its an open dump?
that's the plan
      09-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #59
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

excellent work, love everything you have done other than that muffler.
      09-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #60
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep

Drives: 06 Audi A4

my sentiments exactly... loved everything about the car EXCEPT that horrible placement of the muffler... total rice like style..... why?
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #61
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Exclamation EPIC ALERT!

*gulp* Sweet mother mary of jumpin' jehosaphats!
The pictures speak for themselves IMO so all I'll say is keep the updates flowing...

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #62
tim3less
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 STi

...crazy.

that mcoupe's a beauty!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #63
im spencer
Back in the f80
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Holy shit that is an aggressive muffler!!

everything is Bravo on ur car man

Just gotta admit that the STI-esque muffler placement is little too much for my liking
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #64
Oshin02
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: German

I would Have to say I LOVE the exhaust choice. the aggressive angled Jap canister really sets off the back. Just to throw in my 2cents, I would love to see another on on the other side. But never the less, the whole project (including the exhaust) my hat is off for it

-Oshin P.
      09-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #65
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Z4MC

Looks rad....

That can looks like cans I've frequently seen on Supras.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #66
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
my sentiments exactly... loved everything about the car EXCEPT that horrible placement of the muffler... total rice like style..... why?
you have to keep in mind what "rice" really is. rice is a state of mind...or a food, depending on how you look at it . parts are not rice, nor is the placement of parts...so long as form follows function. that's not to say that there isn't some "form" to the placement of his canister - he wanted the elevated and angled look, but it was just a bonus that it worked out that way. it results from the fact that it is a single exhaust all the way back, which happens to be the most important criterion of the exhaust, hence function over form. i can see how, at a glance, one might quickly assume rice simply b/c it shares some characteristics with the exhausts we often see on riced out cars. but just b/c this exhaust setup has things in common with what many associate as rice (large tip, canister muffler with CF wrap, heavily angled and elevated canister, etc.) does not make it rice...especially on this application, where function takes priority over form.

basically it boils down to the fact that Brian wanted a single, well-flowing exhaust, and was able to fulfill his dream of emulating a particular JDM exhaust style at the same time, all while creating a completely different and unique M Coupe in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MCJJ View Post
Looks rad....

That can looks like cans I've frequently seen on Supras.
congratulations! of all the forums this build is being documented on, you're the first to pick up on what Brian is trying to emulate with his exhaust. most folks who don't like it seem to think it looks like rice, or a civic hatch with a fart can exhaust...but everyone is entitled to an opinion.