New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #485
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Installed the front door a while ago, but finally got around to installing the new doorbell last weekend.
I see open floor plans and skinny ties in your parties!
Appreciate 3
wdb4673.00
      08-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #486
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I see open floor plans and skinny ties in your parties!
Pretty open for a 1957 house, yep. The main living areas (kitchen/dining/living/family room/hall bath) are basically a big circle with a double fireplace in the center of the house.

ETA -- House numbers going up on the carport this weekend, hopefully. Pics to follow.

Last edited by hooligan_G01; 08-15-2019 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
wrickem2101.00
      08-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #487
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Its been a little over a year but I wasnt a member of this forum then. Before....

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

After.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr
Appreciate 4
wdb4673.00
      08-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #488
hooligan_G01
Rep

House numbers are up! Also a shot of the mailbox that I installed last month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
MKSixer34171.50
wrickem2101.00
      08-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #489
hooligan_G01
Rep

Also the new entry door that went in last month, along with the Eames Hang It All and the light from West Elm that I hung the 2nd week we were in the house.

Excuse the beat up siding out the window. House painting happens at the end of the month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
RickFLM410880.50
MKSixer34171.50
King Rudi13152.00
      08-31-2019, 07:33 AM   #490
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

so while i'm waiting on finishing up the garage I've been working on the room in the basement. previous owners did a Mickey Mouse job on the whole room so I tore out the whole ceiling since it wasn't done right. decided were going to just paint it flat black to give it that industrial look in which I will continue this look throughout the basement as well. i'll take pictures of how the last owner did the ceiling to give you guys an idea of what i'm talking about. the basement is finished but i'm going to redo it. was gonna install wood framing around the walls to install drywall but after much research don't wanna have mold issues since if it's not done right that will be the first problem in the that'll arise. the basement will be more of a lounge with a 80" LED and pool table setup with probably a bar in the corner. still getting some ideas or if you guys have any suggestions that would be great!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #491
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

just finished my son's room with the Bamboo flooring. this was the last room upstairs that wasn't done. so many projects going on at once lol!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #492
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so here's the basement room where now the ceiling is completely removed

also ripped out the closet to open the room up. this will be more of a guest room and we have ideas on what our guest can do with their clothes. the closet to me felt like it was just put in just to say there's a closet but really was taking up valuable space
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #493
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

here's what i'll be using to paint the ceiling with. Wagner 2000 from Home Depot. had a coworker refer this as he had great results. i'll be using Behr flat black paint for the ceiling.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      09-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #494
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so here's what the last owner did when he drywalled the ceiling. it's very bad. so annoying to look at. eventually once i'm done with the guest room is start working on the basement. ripping out all the ceiling. from there i'll end up running new can lights throughout on separate switches for each part of the room. it'll take some time getting some ideas as I visit showrooms and browsing images on Google. the room will eventually be a lounge with a big TV and a pool table. just a place to hangout with family and friends

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #495
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
What are your plans with the exposed brick? Could be cool to remove the paint!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #496
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
What are your plans with the exposed brick? Could be cool to remove the paint!
Bricks will still be exposed but painted a different color. still keeping with the neutral colors so probably a gray. I think the bricks and the open ceiling will give it somewhat that industrial look
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #497
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
here's what i'll be using to paint the ceiling with. Wagner 2000 from Home Depot. had a coworker refer this as he had great results. i'll be using Behr flat black paint for the ceiling.
Let me know how it works out. I was wanting to do the same in my basement.

How are you handling wire runs? I wasn't sure that I wanted to get those painted.
      09-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #498
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Let me know how it works out. I was wanting to do the same in my basement.

How are you handling wire runs? I wasn't sure that I wanted to get those painted.
Wire runs will be painted as long as they're in romex sleeving. The can lights tho there a part inside that needs to be masked off according to my Electrician. I'll have to post a picture of that
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      09-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #499
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
Its been a little over a year but I wasnt a member of this forum then.
Looks good. Do you mind sharing the cost of this project?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #500
lakefront
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

What about HVAC?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #501
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
What about HVAC?
you just paint it. any duct work will be painted. for the grills I gotta find something that allows the grills to be mounted floating

edit: I think I know what you mean by HVAC are you talking about the flexible duct work? mine are all aluminum pipes/cylinders if that's the correct word for them
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #502
lakefront
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Quote:
you just paint it. any duct work will be painted. for the grills I gotta find something that allows the grills to be mounted floating

edit: I think I know what you mean by HVAC are you talking about the flexible duct work? mine are all aluminum pipes/cylinders if that's the correct word for them
If you are leaving the walls as is than that's all you can do with supply pipes. Just thought if you were framing the outside walls I would suggest running lines over to the walls and putting grilles down low (heat rises). Have seen a lot of folks complain about basements being too cold because the warm air comes out near the ceiling and just sits there.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #503
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Wire runs will be painted as long as they're in romex sleeving. The can lights tho there a part inside that needs to be masked off according to my Electrician. I'll have to post a picture of that
All of my house wiring is in conduit so I'm not worried about that. I may do some romex out of laziness just to get some additional outlets w/o having to anchor 2x4's to the foundation walls (until I plan out how I want to finish the basement). Not too worried about romex and paint either, just the low voltage stuff.

However, I have Cat6, RG6, and other low voltage are coming in from different points and converging in certain areas. Knowing me, I'll want to re-arrange some of the wiring at some point so I'm not sure if the paint will flake off and leave a mess or if some of the chems in the paint will have an effect on the outer jackets (I have horrible luck lol). I was thinking of maybe a solid cable trough or something. It'd also help protect the cabling from unwanted interference although the blue Cat6 jacket would look cool against the black background.

Still, though, I'm interested in any lessons learned about tarping/masking that you run into. The job can get quite messy, quite quickly.
      09-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #504
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
If you are leaving the walls as is than that's all you can do with supply pipes. Just thought if you were framing the outside walls I would suggest running lines over to the walls and putting grilles down low (heat rises). Have seen a lot of folks complain about basements being too cold because the warm air comes out near the ceiling and just sits there.
I don't have any type of pipes running along the walls. all pipes are in the ceiling and anything that comes down horizontally like to the sump pump are in the closet that's closed off to the rest of the basement. so from the pictures I posted you can see it's just foundation walls all the way around and I was gonna frame them out but decided not to do that because I didn't want to risk the chance of mold growing even if I did everything right to prevent it. the room does stay cool throughout the year
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #505
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All of my house wiring is in conduit so I'm not worried about that. I may do some romex out of laziness just to get some additional outlets w/o having to anchor 2x4's to the foundation walls (until I plan out how I want to finish the basement). Not too worried about romex and paint either, just the low voltage stuff.

However, I have Cat6, RG6, and other low voltage are coming in from different points and converging in certain areas. Knowing me, I'll want to re-arrange some of the wiring at some point so I'm not sure if the paint will flake off and leave a mess or if some of the chems in the paint will have an effect on the outer jackets (I have horrible luck lol). I was thinking of maybe a solid cable trough or something. It'd also help protect the cabling from unwanted interference although the blue Cat6 jacket would look cool against the black background.

Still, though, I'm interested in any lessons learned about tarping/masking that you run into. The job can get quite messy, quite quickly.
as a previous Building Inspector most will run long strands of PVC piping and run all their communications data through that. looks clean. as far as painting I picked up large sheets of plastic I think 9x20? and i'll shoot the ceiling first wait til that dries completely than mask the ceiling probably 6'-8' off the wall just so I don't get overspray going into the ceiling that's now black
Appreciate 2
bosstones1144.00
      09-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #506
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:

PVC Conduit it. Cheap, easy to do, and will look 100 times nicer than wires hanging around.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00