New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Anyone see the CA Education protests?

Just wondering how far all the retards at my school made it on the news. I agree with why they are protesting, but all the jackasses at UC Davis went about it the complete wrong way. For those of you who don't know, they are protesting the ridiculous fee increases CA has faced because since 2002, tuition has increased 142%...

Anyways, these dumbass kids were marching around campus distubing classes, pulling fire alarms, trying to block I-80, sitting in the middle of streets, etc. It didn't start to get entertaining until they started getting violent when the cops refused to let them march and block a freeway. Boy was it fun to watch all these kids get the shit kicked out of them by the authorities; I pray that every last one of those douchebags got cited or arrested for blocking off the city streets and disturbing the peace. Oh, and in case you're wondering, they had no permits or anything...they were just a large group of dumbass students who went about everything the wrong way.
      03-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 330i

seriously, they should seriously bulldoze third tier schools like UC davis, merced, riverside, etc and give the money to berkeley. at least preserve whatever little prestige and academic rigor that the university of california may have left.
      03-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

Yeah I saw that on the news last night. It's the first time that I've seen so many protests at so many schools (from k-12 to colleges). I really respected what they did but of course there were a few things they could have done better. At UC Berkeley students were marching on the fucking highway!! That was dangerous as hell! If I was protesting about the fee increase, I'd be sure to send a loud message so that EVERYONE can hear. I would get as many people as possible to dropout or simply refusing to go to class or maybe even not pay the tuition. I would do something drastic so that they get the damn message (as long as no one gets hurt).

I'm just so tired about all these fee increases. I know people (myself included) that were in a pickle because they were offering fewer and fewer classes making it very difficult for anyone to plan out their graduation. Also, many people barely have the means to go to a UC or CSU and now with the fee hikes, they'd have to go in debt just to get an education (I know it's common for some people but that's another story). I like how America is the land of the free with its "no child left behind" policy and "education/children are our most important priority" crap yet they're making things so hard on students.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

Drives: Water camel

there were protests all around the US. stupid colleges.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Yeah I saw that on the news last night. It's the first time that I've seen so many protests at so many schools (from k-12 to colleges). I really respected what they did but of course there were a few things they could have done better. At UC Berkeley students were marching on the fucking highway!! That was dangerous as hell! If I was protesting about the fee increase, I'd be sure to send a loud message so that EVERYONE can hear. I would get as many people as possible to dropout or simply refusing to go to class or maybe even not pay the tuition. I would do something drastic so that they get the damn message (as long as no one gets hurt).

I'm just so tired about all these fee increases. I know people (myself included) that were in a pickle because they were offering fewer and fewer classes making it very difficult for anyone to plan out their graduation. Also, many people barely have the means to go to a UC or CSU and now with the fee hikes, they'd have to go in debt just to get an education (I know it's common for some people but that's another story). I like how America is the land of the free with its "no child left behind" policy and "education/children are our most important priority" crap yet they're making things so hard on students.
Berkeley students protesting generally tend to be the most retarded of them all. I feel bad for those who are affected by the fee increases; it does not affect me at all (5 years of service in Marine Corps = free education after), but I think they are right for protesting the fee hikes. However, too many students are immature idiots who feel the need to break laws, disturb the peace and insight violence in an attempt at getting their point across.
      03-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Berkeley students protesting generally tend to be the most retarded of them all. I feel bad for those who are affected by the fee increases; it does not affect me at all (5 years of service in Marine Corps = free education after), but I think they are right for protesting the fee hikes. However, too many students are immature idiots who feel the need to break laws, disturb the peace and insight violence in an attempt at getting their point across.
Yeah it's a shame that they do that. However, sometimes when you feel like you're backed into a corner, you tend to escalate things. I just hope that all these things would just get resolved already.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
evoi19
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 G80C

I was stuck in traffic because some ran onto 880 blocking the freeway. I got off and rolled passed OPD and there were a ton of protestors outside. Riot geared police on both sides with patty wagons and a helicopter were all present.

Pretty annoying trying to get home yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Feyd
Major
Rep

Drives: a DEEZZULL

I'm confused at why they thought stopping traffic was going to solve anything.

If they really thought about it, bringing out all the cops in riot gear ended up costing the state even more money, raising the chances that their tuition would be elevated even higher.

I live in Illinois, which last I checked was a close second to California for being in the hole. Tuition hikes are iminent here as well since the state owes the university system here over half a billion dollars in back aid. All I'm saying is, I'm as pissed as the next guy... but really? A riot?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I'm confused at why they thought stopping traffic was going to solve anything.

If they really thought about it, bringing out all the cops in riot gear ended up costing the state even more money, raising the chances that their tuition would be elevated even higher.

I live in Illinois, which last I checked was a close second to California for being in the hole. Tuition hikes are iminent here as well since the state owes the university system here over half a billion dollars in back aid. All I'm saying is, I'm as pissed as the next guy... but really? A riot?
I don't know much about the budget but I'm sure there are ways around raising tuition fees. Shouldn't education be one of the top priorities? If so then why are they making it tougher on students to get an education?! They had to show their anger/disagreement sometimes. I'm sure they didn't mean to start a riot. It was meant to be a peaceful protest until some idiots climbed the fence and onto the highway and then it got out of hands.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Feyd
Major
Rep

While I agree with your sentiments, its just way more complicated than that.

And I'll say this and quit before this thread gets towed to the politics section, but lack of state funding has been very hard on a lot of people besides students. Where is the injustice if somone is able to get a "regular priced" education, but can't get to work because the city transit system is shut down/downsized because of lack of funding?

Not trying to incite anything... but sometimes its not so black and white. I really feel for you and those people who are faced with the tuition hikes and am certainly not blaming them for acting out since someone is f'ing with their futures. Everyone (and I mean everyone) is going to have to take their lumps on this for this country to get through it. Higher tuition/higher gas prices/higher bus and train fair/higher income taxes/more expensive gallons of milk, etc. You just have to reserve yourself to the fact that its just going to suck for a while and move on.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Actually I'm no longer in college so the tuition hike doesn't affect me. I understand that there are other things that are being cut as well but lately it seems that every single thing is costing more and more. If some things go up and other things go down, I can understand that. However, when everything costs more and more every day then something needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Actually I'm no longer in college so the tuition hike doesn't affect me. I understand that there are other things that are being cut as well but lately it seems that every single thing is costing more and more. If some things go up and other things go down, I can understand that. However, when everything costs more and more every day then something needs to be done.
the problem is that education is an area where the ROI isnt immediately evident, it takes time. take silicon valley, for example. one of the reasons it is successful is because there are well funded universities that attract world class talent. the folks that comprise this talent often remain in the area after graduation, and either contribute to existing companies, or start their own. in either case, the state makes $$$ via income and corporate taxes. i can bet you that the city of mtn view and the state of cali are damn happy that google is busy throwing money around in the south bay.

thats the upside. the downside, in an era of competing priorities, is tht it takes a lot of money to fund a world-class research instution that will attract the best and the brightest. so the folks in sacto decide to cut education funding, and put it wherever joe. q. public wants it most (prisons? buses? highways? who knows)
      03-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
seriously, they should seriously bulldoze third tier schools like UC davis, merced, riverside, etc and give the money to berkeley. at least preserve whatever little prestige and academic rigor that the university of california may have left.
words can not describe the amount of wisdom you possess sir.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think I do have an honest right to weigh in here... I did live in Los Angeles from 2005-2009 so I can certainly vouch for prices going up and up and up.

Its obvious (to me at least) that the real problem is that things have been screwed up for a very long time, but no one had been paying attention. The housing bubble was just the tipping point that caused everyone to start seeing things for how they really were.

While there is no doubt things could have been (be) handled better than they currently are, the reality is that the escalating prices of goods, etc. is what needs to happen to regulate state economies these days. The bottom line is that in the short term people are going to have to start paying for things at levels they aren't used to. Which I admit completely sucks...

The biggest problem is that everyone is feeling like they are the ones being singled out as the solitary victim. All I hear about on the news these days is "Oh, whoa is me." From the people on food stamps, to teachers unions, to students (most recently), to some rich-ass blue-blooded east coaster.

The populations of both states (mine and yours) are just going to have to pay the price to keep things moving for the time being. Once things level out I hope we've learned our lesson and will continue to delve into these issues of innapropriate spending and get them corrected, but perhaps I'm being too optomistic.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
Minefield
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Davis should take a page out of Berkeley; Berkeley got on the freeway
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #16
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiyahPK View Post
Davis should take a page out of Berkeley; Berkeley got on the freeway
That's because the CHP, Davis Police and Dixon police were beating the students back with batons and shooting them with pepperballs...an amazing sight to see
      03-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

LOL @ whiny brats whining