New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #133
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 COUPE

turn up the volume. Crazy sound!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17741432@N07/3031905483/
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #134
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Well I spent about 30 minutes with both cars. I wouldn't consider myself a pro race driver by any standard but I can notice certain things about a car when I sit in one. Both of the cars tested were MT (as a performance car should be).

The Cayman S doesn't scream power, even though it has almost 300hp. It can get up to speed fast enough, but it's not going to be a sub-4.0 car unless you get some mods (the turbo kit I hear is awesome from the guys on CaymanClub). What I did like is Porsche's short shift transmission. This thing catches, and is about as smooth a shifter as I've ever experienced. The car is nimble which is not surprising since it weighs about 600 pounds less than the M3. The best way I could describe the Cayman S is that I was "always" confident about what I was doing in the car (maybe that would get me into trouble later...). I would plan my lines during the curves I encountered on the test drive, and the car would cut through like it was on rails. The car I was in had the PASM option so the SA used it and we "lowered 10mm" on the suspension. I didn't notice the ride become any rougher, and the car was on 18''s. As for handling improvements, I didn't reach any curves that would test this car, which is my point basically. This car handles like no other car I've driven. Mid-engined balanced perfection.

The E92 M3 is a great car too. I've driven a 335i (once as a loaner, and also a test drive). I don't care what the "tuner boys" say, but the E92 M3 trounces the 335i in performance. That's why I laugh when some of the 335i guys think that their car can outperform an M3 with a $2,000 tune, some coil overs, exhaust, and new wheels because it's OBVIOUS that the M3 is a much more confident, and balanced car than what could be achieved by some tuner boy in his garage, the freaking M-Team built this car for crying out loud.
I remember taking the 335i on an off ramp where the yellow sign said 25MPH, and I basically took the energy down the ramp, and was at around 45MPH, and I was pretty scared during the experience. I could feel the back end of the car start to slip, and then of course DSC saved my ass. But in the M3, doing fairly similar manuevers during the test drive, the car didn't flinch for a second. Even the SA in the passenger seat noticed what I was doing and he said "It'll take more than that." I had to smile.

As for the overall difference, the Cayman S is more nimble. Think of a Mazda Miata if you've driven one of those (these are sleeper track cars by the way), except more refined, definitely better power throughout the entire RPM range, and of course classier.

The E92 feels like a big GT type of car to me at least when compared to the Cayman S. I don't think I'd go wrong with either car, but that $50,000 Z06 definitely has my attention. I'm just not sure it'll stay at that price. I hate Ebay, and bidding on stuff.
Wow what a shock. Another 325/328/330 owner hating on the 335 because they drive cars no one really cares about anymore and like to use the M3/335 comparison as some sort of payback. lol
      11-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #135
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Wow what a shock. Another 325/328/330 owner hating on the 335 because they drive cars no one really cares about anymore and like to use the M3/335 comparison as some sort of payback. lol
Have you driven the M3?

BoostedBMW pretty much post the same thing I did about the 335i vs M3.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185740

He owns a 335i, is he using the M3 vs 335i as payback too? Grow up, thanks.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #136
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MIKE View Post
Nothing to do with the economy. Corvettes are way overpriced. Big powerful engine.....the end. Never liked them.

$82k is crazy money for any GM product. If you were to buy one and need some customer service, they sh*t all over you. Same with Ford. Two many American car purchases in the past with negative endings.

Think about what other cars you could buy with $82k?
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #137
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MIKE
$82k is crazy money for any GM product.
Negative thinking on your part.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...3A1|240%3A1308

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #138
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
+1
dr, Have you ever owned a corvette? If so please tell us your experience

Quote:
Go for it! I dare you! j/k. Look if you want the Corvette Z06 you should go out and buy it. I wish you all the joy in the world with it. If you think your settling for less in buying the M3 or Cayman, don't do it. I would go with a 08 Z06. You can get it in the $55k range.

BTW GF says Cayman is a girly car and she wants one for Christmas I have never seen a woman driving an M3. Not even my GF
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #139
gshb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: slow

Quote:
Have you driven the M3?

BoostedBMW pretty much post the same thing I did about the 335i vs M3.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185740

He owns a 335i, is he using the M3 vs 335i as payback too? Grow up, thanks.
+1 im sorry but isnt it every bmw fanboys' wetdream to drive an M car? correct me if im wrong..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #140
e90dream
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 e90 335i

problem is, unless you have a mullet or going through mid life crisis, you wouldnt look right driving the cheese dick vette
      11-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #141
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:

Go for it! I dare you! j/k. Look if you want the Corvette Z06 you should go out and buy it. I wish you all the joy in the world with it. If you think your settling for less in buying the M3 or Cayman, don't do it. I would go with a 08 Z06. You can get it in the $55k range.

BTW GF says Cayman is a girly car and she wants one for Christmas I have never seen a woman driving an M3. Not even my GF
Hmm, thats strange. All I see is mainly chicks driving m3 e92 convert. M3 is so rare here in the Bay Area I only see one once a month or so. I drive about 100+ miles a day too. I guess all the m3 are just sitting in the dealership rotting.

Cayman.. a girl car?? What a joke. Why would it be a girl car? because of the size? So I guess 911 is a girl car also Wonder what category MINI is considered????
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #142
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Hmm, thats strange. All I see is mainly chicks driving m3 e92 convert. M3 is so rare here in the Bay Area I only see one once a month or so. I drive about 100+ miles a day too. I guess all the m3 are just sitting in the dealership rotting.

Cayman.. a girl car?? What a joke. Why would it be a girl car? because of the size? So I guess 911 is a girl car also Wonder what category MINI is considered????
I think M3Mike has serious gender issues.

He probably pees sitting down.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 01:12 AM   #143
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep

Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

I'd be happier then a pig in shit if I could land a new C6 Z06 for that price. The Z06's in the dealer lots start at $105,000 here.

Lucky bastards.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #144
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90dream View Post
problem is, unless you have a mullet or going through mid life crisis, you wouldnt look right driving the cheese dick vette
E90 I see you and newsong live in Irvine. Take him out for a drink and help him see the light on this Corvette issue he has. Oh, but try not to diagree with him, because he gets chippy and attempts to insult you.

Quote:

You're correct. I should have been more specific. I was talking about the new E9x M3. Lots of women driving the old body style M3s. I don't think they are original owners. What can I say they made good choices.

Cayman is not a 911. I love the 911 turbo. All I'm saying is I never see men driving Caymans in Los Angeles. They drive 911s

Quote:
I think M3Mike has serious gender issues.

He probably pees sitting down.
I pee sitting down at least once a week to stay in touch with my feminine side. In your two sentences you contradicted yourself. What's wrong with peeing sitting down? Do you cosider peeing sitting down a weakness? Or weaker sex??

Back to the real issue Mr Corvette fan> Why aren't you Running out to buy a Corvette. I found your price range and your color. What's wrong, your wifey will not allow it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
I'd be happier then a pig in shit if I could land a new C6 Z06 for that price. The Z06's in the dealer lots start at $105,000 here.

Lucky bastards.
WTF, no red tag sale in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #145
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
I pee sitting down at least once a week to stay in touch with my feminine side. In your two sentences you contradicted yourself. What's wrong with peeing sitting down? Do you cosider peeing sitting down a weakness? Or weaker sex??
That's cool. I think when you're drunk, peeing sitting down is the best way to go. I'm glad you're a pee sitter, it explains a lot.

As for the Z06, yeah, I seriously have to have a pow wow about it with the wife. I'm not 22 anymore and I can't make split second decisions on a whim, especially involving $50,000 and a 500+ HP sports car. This is going to take some finesse so be patient.

But don't worry, once it's here, we can hang out on the 405, and I'll gladly walk you all day long.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #146
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
E90 I see you and newsong live in Irvine. Take him out for a drink and help him see the light on this Corvette issue he has. Oh, but try not to diagree with him, because he gets chippy and attempts to insult you.

Cayman is not a 911. I love the 911 turbo. All I'm saying is I never see men driving Caymans in Los Angeles. They drive 911s

Back to the real issue Mr Corvette fan> Why aren't you Running out to buy a Corvette. I found your price range and your color. What's wrong, your wifey will not allow it?

WTF, no red tag sale in Canada?
I know cayman is not 911. They are similiar in size though.

Don't worry. I will consider getting a Corvette for my next car. I just got my 335 1 year ago. Still got a few years. This will be my last BMW I am getting. Worst car I ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #147
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Z06 yummm. I'll buy I used one though.
      11-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #148
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know cayman is not 911. They are similiar in size though.

Don't worry. I will consider getting a Corvette for my next car. I just got my 335 1 year ago. Still got a few years. This will be my last BMW I am getting. Worst car I ever owned.
Why is BMW the worst car you've ever owned?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #149
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I have not owned one but a good friend of mine did, and I have driven it and other models of Corvette numerous times.
Yes, IMO, it does have the looks, powerful and noisy engine. However, to get to the competitive power output, they use engines with 30-40% higher volume, hence horrible mpg. The interior lags years behind the european and japanese. THe design becomes old quickly. The car becomes loose, rattling (although my e90 is a rattle box) and squeeking too quickly. The resale value is a joke.
The true value of the vehicle is about 70% of what they are asking, IMO...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #150
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: e90

Quote:
...Why are the foreign car companies thriving in this country? Including Kia and Hyundai. And yet the american car companies can't turn a profit.
Simply because they aren't part of the UAW. Employee benefits are what is killing the American car companies (at least GM).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #151
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
I have not owned one but a good friend of mine did, and I have driven it and other models of Corvette numerous times.
Yes, IMO, it does have the looks, powerful and noisy engine. However, to get to the competitive power output, they use engines with 30-40% higher volume, hence horrible mpg. The interior lags years behind the european and japanese. THe design becomes old quickly. The car becomes loose, rattling (although my e90 is a rattle box) and squeeking too quickly. The resale value is a joke.
The Z06 doesn't get the gas guzzler tax here in California, but the M3 E92 does.

Z06: 26MPG Highway
M3: 20MPG Highway (more like 16-17).

In fact the Z06 just won a MPG Marathon in the UK recently:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/10...on-in-the-uk/2

So what was that you were saying about horrible MPG???

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #152
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep

Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Quote:
Wow.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #153
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you want MPG buy a Honda or a Prius.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #154
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The Z06 doesn't get the gas guzzler tax here in California, but the M3 E92 does.

Z06: 26MPG Highway
M3: 20MPG Highway (more like 16-17).

In fact the Z06 just won a MPG Marathon in the UK recently:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/10...on-in-the-uk/2

So what was that you were saying about horrible MPG???
Yep, my wife's Oddysey says 27 mpg HWY, but we never got more than 23...
I HIGHLY doubt Corvette with 7.0L engine gets anything close to 26 mpg HWY at 40 mph...

325 can hardly get that...

In any case, I never said that Corvette is nothing short than one of the best US cars...but that is about it...
Appreciate 0