New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-30-2021, 08:10 PM   #23
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Call me silly....

What's an instant pot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Mary Joan dispensary.
With a drive-up window.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #24
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Meh, way, way over priced. Can get same quality at half the price but yes see your point.
I do have a couple of 'off brand' pieces that I use quite a bit, they are not quite as nice but very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Outlet Mall!!!! I don't particularly care that it's "last year's color"
Indeed. I also don't mind spending a little extra for something that will last forever.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I use lodge or Cuisinart, both are damn near indestructible and a third the price of Le Cruset. I use cast iron a lot, I have 3 pots and 4 pans, it is my primary cooking surface, I aint cooking on plastic, teflon is banned in my house.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 07:26 PM   #26
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Call me silly....

What's an instant pot?
They love em here but I am yet to have it explained to me why i'd use one instead of a cast iron dutch oven. Ya gotta braise meat before slow cooking and the big arse cast iron pot does a great job of it.
Quote:
They love em here but I am yet to have it explained to me why i'd use one instead of a cast iron dutch oven. Ya gotta braise meat before slow cooking and the big arse cast iron pot does a great job of it.
The Instant Pot is a pressure cooker as well as a slow cooker. It also can be a rice cooker, yogurt maker, etc.

Here are two examples of how to use it, that can be more effective than a Dutch oven.

A/ Let's say you want to make soup using beans or peas: white beans, lentils, split peas, etc. You can cook them on the stove, or you can pressure cook them using the Instant Pot. To be honest, you probably won't save much elapsed time with the Instant Pot, once you factor in the time needed for it to come up to pressure then to depressurize naturally (by cooling off, rather than opening the pressure valve). However, with the Instant Pot, it's set-and-forget: no stirring, no topping off with water, no burnt soup on the bottom of the pan.

B/ Let's say you want to cook some meat: pork or lamb shank, short ribs, etc. You can cook it for hours and hours in the Dutch oven. Or, you can cook it in one hour in the Instant Pot.

The Instant Pot is okay but not great at searing meat. I do sear meat in mine. However, if you really want to sear it on high heat, you can do so in a frying pan, then transfer it to the Instant Pot.

I've also cooked rice in mine—it's almost as good as a rice cooker. And lots of other stuff: yogurt, hard boiled eggs, etc.
      12-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #27
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

OK the pressure cooker adds an element for sure.
Appreciate 0