New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #23
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
or an astroid like this one that strolled between the moon and us a few years ago that nobody knew about.
It's so sad that we have more cameras looking down on the earth then ones looking out into space!

It's great that all these billionaires are travelling to the edge of space and space travel could be a common thing, but we really need to spend more time and money on some sort of shield program.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #24
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Not really sure if that applies here. From the info I've seen, I've never seen a mention of this to predict the expansion phenomena we're talking about here. It boils down to something is pushing all the visible celestial bodies apart and not at a constant but accelerating rate. That's why there's been extensive research and discussion on dark energy.
I get what you are saying/coming from. My thought process was on the expansion and the rate of acceleration. When it comes to matters of physics and quantum theories I'm somewhat knowledgeable but not as well versed as I would like to be; however, my thought process was the rate of acceleration and expansion, when plotting the fibonacci sequence, we are left with a spiral. if the universe were following this form of expansion this would explain accelerated expansion...in my mind anyway.

Now from what I understand, which isn't much, rather than the universe being like a sine wave, maybe it's a spiral. Since rotation can create gravity, would this not attribute to expansion and acceleration? Also the plotting of the fibonacci sequence being spiral-like, originating from the center, much like an explosion, and extending outward, yet each pass of it's original point of origin would be twice as great as the pass before, thus the acceleration.

Case in point: A flat centrifuge. Place dust on said centrifuge. Engage motor. Does the material/dust not get flung off in all directions, expanding?

I'm sure I'm way off and don't know nearly enough to formulate a theory, but the above was my thought process. Just sharing.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
rmanm4870.50
      07-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #25
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I get what you are saying/coming from. My thought process was on the expansion and the rate of acceleration. When it comes to matters of physics and quantum theories I'm somewhat knowledgeable but not as well versed as I would like to be; however, my thought process was the rate of acceleration and expansion, when plotting the fibonacci sequence, we are left with a spiral. if the universe were following this form of expansion this would explain accelerated expansion...in my mind anyway.

Now from what I understand, which isn't much, rather than the universe being like a sine wave, maybe it's a spiral. Since rotation can create gravity, would this not attribute to expansion and acceleration? Also the plotting of the fibonacci sequence being spiral-like, originating from the center, much like an explosion, and extending outward, yet each pass of it's original point of origin would be twice as great as the pass before, thus the acceleration.

Case in point: A flat centrifuge. Place dust on said centrifuge. Engage motor. Does the material/dust not get flung off in all directions, expanding?

I'm sure I'm way off and don't know nearly enough to formulate a theory, but the above was my thought process. Just sharing.
I like your theory. It works well with what is in my head.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Ok. Makes sense on where you're going with it. I would say this would be a good way to look at how solar systems and other celestial bodies are moving within a galaxy as we can observe all (well at least all the ones we've seen so far) have a spiral type shape. From what I've seen, the expansion of the universe isn't in a spiral manner. More of things going out in a linear trajectory. At least from what I've seen. But as you've admitted, I'm not deep into this subject. Only approaching it from my base of knowledge in what I remember from my engineering studies along with what I think is logical reasoning. But this subject fascinates me. I've binged watched many Science Channel programs on astrophysics, black holes, etc.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #27
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Aliens haven't visited because they are constrained by the laws of physics just a we are.
The laws of physics is just that...laws that we understand so far. To think that we know everything about the universe and the laws that govern it, is a bit naive.
Appreciate 2
minn1914010.50
      07-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #28
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Makes sense on where you're going with it. I would say this would be a good way to look at how solar systems and other celestial bodies are moving within a galaxy as we can observe all (well at least all the ones we've seen so far) have a spiral type shape. From what I've seen, the expansion of the universe isn't in a spiral manner. More of things going out in a linear trajectory. At least from what I've seen. But as you've admitted, I'm not deep into this subject. Only approaching it from my base of knowledge in what I remember from my engineering studies along with what I think is logical reasoning. But this subject fascinates me. I've binged watched many Science Channel programs on astrophysics, black holes, etc.
Same here. I was a flunky in school. To paint a better picture, I was a licensed tattoo artist before I graduated high school. My curiosity of physics and the quantum realm is where my knowledge derives. I have no formal education on the subject. I also envision this spiral not to be flat per se, but cylindrical.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      07-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #29
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
https://www.livescience.com/big-bang...w-physics.html

Twisted light could rewrite law of physics as we know!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #30
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
"If dark energy is a quintessence, its push on the expansion could slowly wither or disappear, or could even reverse to become an attractive force, causing the Universe to collapse into a ‘big crunch’, says Sean Carroll, a theoretical physicist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. “We’re back to a situation where we have zero idea about how the Universe is going to end.” The work was reported on 23 November in Physical Review Letters1"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03201-8
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3566.00
      07-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Same here. I was a flunky in school. To paint a better picture, I was a licensed tattoo artist before I graduated high school. My curiosity of physics and the quantum realm is where my knowledge derives. I have no formal education on the subject. I also envision this spiral not to be flat per se, but cylindrical.
Just because you don't have formal education or a piece of paper that you went through debt at a higher institution of learning or letters to put after your name doesn't mean you're any less of a person to contribute to science. It's all about how you can process information. I know straight A engineering students at my college that don't have a lot of common sense to apply much of what they've learned in real world situations.

This should give you a boost:

https://scientificwomen.net/women/pockels-agnes-81

This woman with no formal education provided a significant contribution towards the science of surface tension by quantifying what she was observing while working in a kitchen.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #32
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm personally a fan of the simulation hypothesis. By fan I mean it's just the one that makes the most sense to me as a lay person. I mean just look at all the weird shit going on in the quantum world. Don't tell me that shit doesn't sound like this whole thing is being simulated.

I was listening to some interview with some guy the other day who hypothesized that everything we see and interact with are just representations of some much more complex underlying system. The way we have icons on a computer screen which represent certain complex functions that happen internally on the computer which we are unaware of. It was pretty interesting... not totally sold on the idea but fun to think about anyways.

Also think about the difference in intelligence between us and say a chimp, the closest animal to us. A chimp can't even begin to comprehend space, or mathematics or anything like that. Not even the smartest chimp. Now imagine just that same difference in intelligence between us and some other species/entity/whatever. It could be we are simply not capable of the intelligence or sense or whatever to really ever understand the inner workings of the universe.
many people have this view. I can see a case for it.

Especially when you start looking at things like the double slit experiment and its variations like the quantum eraser experiment. its like the simulation is saying 'ok you are looking too deep into this' *information gets erased*.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #33
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Just because you don't have formal education or a piece of paper that you went through debt at a higher institution of learning or letters to put after your name doesn't mean you're any less of a person to contribute to science. It's all about how you can process information. I know straight A engineering students at my college that don't have a lot of common sense to apply much of what they've learned in real world situations.

This should give you a boost:

https://scientificwomen.net/women/pockels-agnes-81

This woman with no formal education provided a significant contribution towards the science of surface tension by quantifying what she was observing while working in a kitchen.

1000000%

I graduated with a bunch of engineers and probably a good 70% of them should not be hired! The paper does not mean anything but.....the ability to read and learn something fast.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #34
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Nice i have this theory that the more I drink the smarter i get. Survival of the fittest and only the weak brain cells get damaged making me more intelligent. Works on my liver too.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #35
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Having skimmed through this thread. Here are two currently prevailing theories for universe grand finale and dark matter:

1. Today's body of evidence points to space time expanding, that expansion is accelerating, and ultimately will rip the universe apart. I.E., The Big Rip.

2. The leading dark matter theory is that dark matter is comprised of an unknown particle that doesn't interact with today's known particles, nor does it interact with the electromagnetic force (this makes it undetectable, dark matter is only inferred through it's gravitational effect on matter). Really neat part about this, parallel or extra dimensional universe fits well in this theory. I.E., gravity from a parallel universe 6X the size of our existing universe could be leaking through and would account for the full gravitational effect of our dark matter.

Last edited by Manny01; 07-21-2021 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #36
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

^ i have heard that theory as well. fits with the multiverse notion.

and maybe someone with more wrinkles in their brain can explain this to me: I was under the impression that everything in general should move from low entropy to high entropy? i'm not sure if that would fit with the universe contracting.

good podcast on the subject:

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #37
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
We all the know that the universe was created by the big bang.
Wait, wait, wait...we do?

Kind of getting ahead of yourself there - I don't believe that. So we don't ALL know that.

I believe the earth was created by God. It also happens to be a heck of an easier pill to swallow that there is intelligent design, than some random chance event of a big bang creating all of this. That would take a lot of faith.

Plus, I'm not sure where the material came from to begin with to create the "big bang".

How's that for contributing to the thread?
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
      07-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #38
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
As in fibonoacci perhaps?
This sequence is what makes the band "Tool" music so amazing has of their last three albums.

This is all I can add to this thread as it's way outside my pay grade and I have a real tough time putting much thought into theories because they are simply that: just best guess present day ideas by pretty damn smart people. I need facts. The thought of space and it's vastness is way too much for my peanut brain to handle too!

This thread will also piss off the diehard religious types as it goes against most everything they believe in. LOL
      07-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #39
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep

Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
This sequence is what makes the band "Tool" music so amazing has of their last three albums.
♪ ♫ I used the Fibonacci sequence when I built my sound room. ♫ ♪
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #40
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^ Shhhhhh.....the adults are talking. Go fish for appreciates elsewhere. If you don't have something of intellect to add to the conversation, don't participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

This is all I can add to this thread as it's way outside my pay grade and I have a real tough time putting much thought into theories because they are simply that: just best guess present day ideas by pretty damn smart people. I need facts. The thought of space and it's vastness is way too much for my peanut brain to handle too!

This thread will also piss off the diehard religious types as it goes against most everything they believe in. LOL
Indeed! Always good to meet a fellow Tool fan. Saw them in Louisville in 2019. Seeing them live is a complete overload of the senses. They are, in fact, the reason behind my research of the Fibonacci sequence and quantum theory.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #41
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Nice i have this theory that the more I drink the smarter i get. Survival of the fittest and only the weak brain cells get damaged making me more intelligent. Works on my liver too.
i dont know much about anything you guys are talking about, but goddam it i think this guy is the best scientist i know.

As to the convo of intelligence life somewhere out there, maybe, but I dont know. I would have thought they would have stopped by. But maybe they have seen all the alien movies we have and thought they were documentaries or something and said "fuck that. That will smith dude is a goddam legend."

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #42
rwheels
Major
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
^ Shhhhhh.....the adults are talking. Go fish for appreciates elsewhere. If you don't have something of intellect to add to the conversation, don't participate.
Didn't know you owned this website.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #43
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Remember what a paradigm shift it was that the Earth wasn't the center of our universe? Let's not forget that as we look out and think we see all the heavenly bodies "expanding" away from each other. We can't even "see" most of the light.

Last I had looked into it, many moons ago, the acceleration was slowing, but some said it was increasing, but some said. . .

Rudi, it's all spiraling down the drain!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #44
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Remember what a paradigm shift it was that the Earth wasn't the center of our universe? Let's not forget that as we look out and think we see all the heavenly bodies "expanding" away from each other. We can't even "see" most of the light.

Last I had looked into it, many moons ago, the acceleration was slowing, but some said it was increasing, but some said. . .

Rudi, it's all spiraling down the drain!
The geocentric model (Earth being the center of the universe) was never based on science. It was biblical position designed to support the perceived infallibility of the Bible. People have known for hundreds of years that this was wrong, but they were considered heretics, imprisoned, excommunicated, etc.
Appreciate 2