New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #1
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Science Talk and Theories

Lets have deep adult talk about science and the universe......

Here is a theory I have been sitting on for a few years:

We all the know that the universe was created by the big bang.
We also know, and it proves the big bang theory, that the universe is expanding.

Well....what if the universe is like a sign wave. As in the Universe expands till it reaches a limit, then starts to collapse back to the point of the big bang and keeps repeating this forever!?!?!?

What if the dark matter that we can now detect is actually left over matter from the last collapse wave?!?!?
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

The expansion seems to be slowing, and if it contracts we don't know what happens at maximum contraction.

I've always been intrigued by the multiverse theory that universes expand and collapse all the time like bubbles. But here's a tweak, it's possible these aren't bubbles isolated from each other but blend and cross a dimensional spectrum we don't understand completely. So you could have an alternate universe sitting in the same room with you but you don't have the senses to see it.
      07-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
The expansion seems to be slowing, and if it contracts we don't know what happens at maximum contraction.

I've always been intrigued by the multiverse theory that universes expand and collapse all the time like bubbles. But here's a tweak, it's possible these aren't bubbles isolated from each other but blend and cross a dimensional spectrum we don't understand completely. So you could have an alternate universe sitting in the same room with you but you don't have the senses to see it.
Where did you see this? All the information I've seen is that the universe is expanding and accelerating. The current thought is that as the celestial bodies move away from each other the affects of gravitational pull which would help slow the acceleration would decrease further adding to the acceleration. Right now scientists don't know what is fueling the acceleration. This brings on the whole theory of dark energy which is an off shoot of the whole dark matter discussion.

ETA: Here's a NASA article dated 2019 that discusses the increasing expansion of the universe based on data collected from Hubble: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...ew-hubble-data
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3566.00
      07-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

Theory floating around due the gravitational pull from the dark matter. No mass in our universe but you can measure the gravitational pull, so has it be from another universe right???

All im saying is what if, on the collapse side of the universe, the dark matter is needed or created?? Right now we can feel the gravity of the matter but it wont appear till universe stops expanding and starts collapsing. I have no math for this, I have a engineering degree and watch/read too many science shows/time travel movies/etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #5
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

I always thought it was slowing down? Apparently they revised that observation. In any event if it's accelerating then we don't know if it will just keep going to contract yet. But if the behavior of our universe is similar to other phenomenon I'd expect it to slow then contract.
      07-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I always thought it was slowing down? Apparently they revised that observation. In any event if it's accelerating then we don't know if it will just keep going to contract yet. But if the behavior of our universe is similar to other phenomenon I'd expect it to slow then contract.
That's a big assumption and even with other phenomena we can observe, I don't see how you can extrapolate that the universe and all the celestial bodies will begin to slow and then start contracting. The acceleration alone proves this as false with no force that we know of that will cause a slowing. If there is, we wouldn't see the acceleration. At best, the rate of expansion would be constant/linear. It's not based on the new data from Hubble. Again, this goes towards some force which the focus is on dark energy as the hidden force pushing everything away from each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
Theory floating around due the gravitational pull from the dark matter. No mass in our universe but you can measure the gravitational pull, so has it be from another universe right???

All im saying is what if, on the collapse side of the universe, the dark matter is needed or created?? Right now we can feel the gravity of the matter but it wont appear till universe stops expanding and starts collapsing. I have no math for this, I have a engineering degree and watch/read too many science shows/time travel movies/etc.
Read my post and the link I provided to the NASA blog on the recent Hubble data. The universe is not slowing or contracting. It's expanding at an increasing rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Maybe you can accelerate forever to the point that all matter gets stretched to nothing and released in form of energy. Maybe then all the energy is the total of what it required to start the big bang.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #9
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

I suppose in the vacuum of space with no gravitation drag you could accelerate forever. That's not out of the question. But, supernovas explode and contract, so maybe the same situation evolves for the universe expansion?
      07-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I suppose in the vacuum of space with no gravitation drag you could accelerate forever. That's not out of the question. But, supernovas explode and contract, so maybe the same situation evolves for the universe expansion?
That's due to the gravitational effects from what is left over after the star in the center explodes. But this is all localized. This still doesn't negate the resulting celestial bodies are still moving. The formation and death of stars are still occurring in our own Milky Way galaxy yet the Milky Way and our nearest galaxy, Andromeda are on a collision course with each other based on current trajectories.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Read my post and the link I provided to the NASA blog on the recent Hubble data. The universe is not slowing or contracting. It's expanding at an increasing rate.
As in fibonoacci perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you can accelerate forever to the point that all matter gets stretched to nothing and released in form of energy. Maybe then all the energy is the total of what it required to start the big bang.
Matter doesn't get stretched because it's accelerating. The only phenomena I'm aware of which causes stretching or the other term which is spagettification is what happens when matter falls into a black hole (singularity). And even in that crazy environment where the classical laws of Physics don't really apply anymore, matter doesn't spontaneously change into energy. Based on my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
As in fibonoacci perhaps?
Sorry not following what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #14
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Sorry not following what you mean.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

Also referred to as the golden ratio.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I'm personally a fan of the simulation hypothesis. By fan I mean it's just the one that makes the most sense to me as a lay person. I mean just look at all the weird shit going on in the quantum world. Don't tell me that shit doesn't sound like this whole thing is being simulated.

I was listening to some interview with some guy the other day who hypothesized that everything we see and interact with are just representations of some much more complex underlying system. The way we have icons on a computer screen which represent certain complex functions that happen internally on the computer which we are unaware of. It was pretty interesting... not totally sold on the idea but fun to think about anyways.

Also think about the difference in intelligence between us and say a chimp, the closest animal to us. A chimp can't even begin to comprehend space, or mathematics or anything like that. Not even the smartest chimp. Now imagine just that same difference in intelligence between us and some other species/entity/whatever. It could be we are simply not capable of the intelligence or sense or whatever to really ever understand the inner workings of the universe.
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13154.00
Humdizzle6037.50
Rkt4852.00
      07-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

Also referred to as the golden ratio.
Not really sure if that applies here. From the info I've seen, I've never seen a mention of this to predict the expansion phenomena we're talking about here. It boils down to something is pushing all the visible celestial bodies apart and not at a constant but accelerating rate. That's why there's been extensive research and discussion on dark energy.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #17
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm personally a fan of the simulation hypothesis. By fan I mean it's just the one that makes the most sense to me as a lay person. I mean just look at all the weird shit going on in the quantum world. Don't tell me that shit doesn't sound like this whole thing is being simulated.

I was listening to some interview with some guy the other day who hypothesized that everything we see and interact with are just representations of some much more complex underlying system. The way we have icons on a computer screen which represent certain complex functions that happen internally on the computer which we are unaware of. It was pretty interesting... not totally sold on the idea but fun to think about anyways.

Also think about the difference in intelligence between us and say a chimp, the closest animal to us. A chimp can't even begin to comprehend space, or mathematics or anything like that. Not even the smartest chimp. Now imagine just that same difference in intelligence between us and some other species/entity/whatever. It could be we are simply not capable of the intelligence or sense or whatever to really ever understand the inner workings of the universe.
Excellent thinking.

To think that we are the only intelligent species in the universe is probably the dumbest thing you can think or say.

Why haven't other intelligent species visited us?

Lets start a side conversation about that:

1. They already have in the past (many cave drawings in the past along the equator all over the world that shows they have) and have set us on the right path. They may visit us again if we get off the "Right" path.

2. When you driving in your car at 100 Km/h, do you stop to look at the ant on the side of the highway??? No! So we not there yet for a visit.

I think one day we will have footage of a earth in a nearby galaxy. We will then see how far advanced we are or are not!
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #18
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Excellent thinking.

To think that we are the only intelligent species in the universe is probably the dumbest thing you can think or say.

Why haven't other intelligent species visited us?

Lets start a side conversation about that:

1. They already have in the past (many cave drawings in the past along the equator all over the world that shows they have) and have set us on the right path. They may visit us again if we get off the "Right" path.

2. When you driving in your car at 100 Km/h, do you stop to look at the ant on the side of the highway??? No! So we not there yet for a visit.

I think one day we will have footage of a earth in a nearby galaxy. We will then see how far advanced we are or are not!
I think intelligence is kind of like race and species recognition. The more similar you are the more you can notice the differences.

NDTyson speculated once that our brand of space travel may not impress alien intelligence much because it's still based on basic physics. But if we started moving around dimensionally they might look at us differently.
      07-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #19
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I think intelligence is kind of like race and species recognition. The more similar you are the more you can notice the differences.

NDTyson speculated once that our brand of space travel may not impress alien intelligence much because it's still based on basic physics. But if we started moving around dimensionally they might look at us differently.
Maybe we need to hit warp speed (Star Trek reference) before we are recognized!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Maybe we need to hit warp speed (Star Trek reference) before we are recognized!
Maybe once we do we become a threat and must be exterminated!

Or if we do have the capacity to ultimately understand the inner workings of the universe maybe that's game over. Maybe once we do they turn off that computer.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #21
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Maybe once we do we become a threat and must be exterminated!

Or if we do have the capacity to ultimately understand the inner workings of the universe maybe that's game over. Maybe once we do they turn off that computer.
A virus is all that is needed for our extermination!

Get the Ebola virus to be come airborne like covid and its game over!

We as humans really need to start thinking about reducing earths population. 1 child limit would be a good start.

Im sure if we melt enough of the perma-frost it will release some crazy wild viruses.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #22
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

or an astroid like this one that strolled between the moon and us a few years ago that nobody knew about.
Attached Images