New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-08-2021, 07:23 AM   #23
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Right when the z4 came out I rented one for a weekend (Friday-Monday) from some small company in SoBe summer 2003 for $299 plus tax.

That is my rental highlight lol
Appreciate 3
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
wtwo317864.00
Tommy-G4467.00
      10-08-2021, 07:27 AM   #24
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
Those got damn prices are ridiculous.
Fuck happened to $32/day?
Let me guess, car shortage.
I did see a few old Nissan Altimas for around $25/day.... but I think I'd rather walk in that case
I just looked at my last rental to Raleigh .. yeah it was a Volkswagen Atlas $569 for one week.
Not too too bad. Car was loaded. My i3 was still superior. Stepped on the gas and it was like a CrossFit runner with a weight belt tied to a chain and dragging a tire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
wtwo317864.00
Tommy-G4467.00
      10-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Wife works for Lockheed, so we normally get anything up to a premium for $32/day. But, when I tried to arrange something in Phoenix, I put in the dates, and it didn't even offer me a choice - sorry, no vehicles available.

Luckily, Ida wiped out the tracks in Mexico, so we went to Alaska instead. No car needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #26
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Ok so here's some of the rental cars I've had throughout the years. This isn't everything as I haven't always taken pictures of my rental cars.

Disclaimer - I don't mean to offend anyone who owns any of these cars if I'm being critical. I go in to all my driving experiences with a fully open mind, and am honest about how I feel about them coming out of it.

In no particular order:

Car: Peugeot 107

This little Peugeot had a puny little 1.0L inline 3 motor mated to a 5 spd manual. Interior by fisher price. Despite all that, it was an absolute blast to drive - probably because of how light it was and how easy it was to just toss it around and zip through tight areas.
Name:  peugeot.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  686.7 KB

Car: e92 M3

My first time ever driving an M car and it lived up to the hype. I felt the power, the handling was excellent, and I just remember it being so solid. Definitely a fun experience. Interior wasn't the greatest, but it just didn't matter.
Name:  m3.jpeg
Views: 1260
Size:  47.1 KB

Car: Jeep Wrangler

I had never driven a Wrangler before, and I know there's a huge following for them, so I decided to try it out. Holy shit this thing was awful. It was slow, loud, uncomfortable, and handled as if the engineers forgot to put a steering column in it and added one in as an afterthought. Even going in a straight line was a challenge. Unless you're doing some off-roading, I honestly can't understand why anyone would buy one of these things.
Name:  wrangler.JPG
Views: 1197
Size:  45.6 KB

Car: Mercedes GLC 300

Took this car on a weekend trip up to Mackinac Island in the UP. It was surprisingly smooth and quiet for being a small SUV. Not the most exciting car but it was nice. The seats weren't super comfortable however.
Name:  GLC.jpeg
Views: 1237
Size:  785.2 KB

Car: Mercedes GLE 350

My wife wanted something comfortable for our Hawaii trip, so this was one of the more comfortable rental options available. It did its job well. Although the interior wasn't the greatest. Things did get interesting when I took this on the road to Hana. Pushed this big SUV to its limits on those narrow, windy roads
Name:  GLE.JPG
Views: 1297
Size:  88.2 KB

Car: Chevrolet Camaro

Ah yes... travelling before kids. This was the V6, so it wasn't super quick. But it still made a pleasant exhaust note and was still sort of fun. But WOW the visibility was non existent with the roof up. How this car is legal is beyond me. Felt like I was looking at the road through a straw. Also the interior was just downright awful.
Name:  camaro.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  1.00 MB

Car: Mercedes E43 amg

This car was an absolute joy to drive. I'm not sure how to explain it or why, but it was just so much fun. I have fond memories from our week in LA driving this around. And on top of that, the interior was beautiful and comfortable. It may not be as fast as an m550i, but I'd take this E43 all day over that.
Name:  e43.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  91.4 KB

Car: Tesla Model 3 long range

This was my first time driving a Tesla. I was legitimately curious about the experience as I had at one point seriously considered the model 3 as a potential next car. I came away pretty disappointed. Aside from the instant torque, it offered nothing. There was no excitement or joy in the drive. It had 0 personality, and never had I felt more like I was driving a soulless appliance. To make matters worse, the build quality wasn't good - this was a brand new car and the wireless charging pad broke (like literally, it fell through the hole), and the interior was non-existent. I drove the model 3 performance and model S as well, and had similar experiences. At that moment I decided Tesla just wasn't for me. I'm willing to try it again but now with more tapered expectations.
Name:  tesla.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  389.9 KB

Car: Volvo S60

This was a last second rental because I discovered a bubble in the tire of my 3 series, and my wife needed the X5. So while I waited for new tires, I drove this around. The seats were very comfortable, but other than that it was a very vanilla driving experience.
Name:  volvo.jpeg
Views: 1259
Size:  390.0 KB

Car: Lincoln MKX

This was a free "upgrade" from Avis. But an overall forgettable car... literally. Like I don't even remember what the interior looked like other than it was black.
Name:  lincoln.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  281.7 KB

Car: Hyundai Accent

I was in Seattle for a conference, and accidentally booked an extra night (whoops). So I had a free day, and decided to get a cheap rental and drive out to Mt. Rainier. I had experienced understeer before.. but on this day, pushing this little accent to its limits on the mountain roads through Rainier, I truly got to know understeer in its most extreme form.
Name:  hyundai.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  619.8 KB

Car: Lexus ES350

We got a ridiculously good deal on this ES350, I think it was around $35/day (renting a corolla from a rental company was going for $90/day). So I figured why not. I've owned Lexus cars in the past - an 08 IS350 and a 10 RX350. This 2021 Lexus ES350 felt like it was stuck in time. Like the design was updated but the materials quality was stuck in 2010.
Name:  Lexus ES.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  573.4 KB

Car: BMW X7 40i

Traveled with another couple and their daughter, so decided to rent a 3 row SUV... and decided to do it right. This was more or less identical in feel to our X5, just slightly bigger (and our X5 has a few additional options). I have to say though, I love the design of the X7, it has such road presence.
Name:  X7.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  413.3 KB

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 5
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
Noneya251.50
Germanauto9665.50
      10-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #27
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Agree on the jeep, simply baffled by their popularity. Horrible things to drive.
Appreciate 6
wtwo317864.00
vreihen1614885.00
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
P111541.50
      10-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #28
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Ok so here's some of the rental cars I've had throughout the years. This isn't everything as I haven't always taken pictures of my rental cars.

Disclaimer - I don't mean to offend anyone who owns any of these cars if I'm being critical. I go in to all my driving experiences with a fully open mind, and am honest about how I feel about them coming out of it.

In no particular order:

Car: Peugeot 107

This little Peugeot had a puny little 1.0L inline 3 motor mated to a 5 spd manual. Interior by fisher price. Despite all that, it was an absolute blast to drive - probably because of how light it was and how easy it was to just toss it around and zip through tight areas.
Attachment 2714401

Car: e92 M3

My first time ever driving an M car and it lived up to the hype. I felt the power, the handling was excellent, and I just remember it being so solid. Definitely a fun experience. Interior wasn't the greatest, but it just didn't matter.
Attachment 2714402

Car: Jeep Wrangler

I had never driven a Wrangler before, and I know there's a huge following for them, so I decided to try it out. Holy shit this thing was awful. It was slow, loud, uncomfortable, and handled as if the engineers forgot to put a steering column in it and added one in as an afterthought. Even going in a straight line was a challenge. Unless you're doing some off-roading, I honestly can't understand why anyone would buy one of these things.
Attachment 2714403

Car: Mercedes GLC 300

Took this car on a weekend trip up to Mackinac Island in the UP. It was surprisingly smooth and quiet for being a small SUV. Not the most exciting car but it was nice. The seats weren't super comfortable however.
Attachment 2714404

Car: Mercedes GLE 350

My wife wanted something comfortable for our Hawaii trip, so this was one of the more comfortable rental options available. It did its job well. Although the interior wasn't the greatest. Things did get interesting when I took this on the road to Hana. Pushed this big SUV to its limits on those narrow, windy roads
Attachment 2714405

Car: Chevrolet Camaro

Ah yes... travelling before kids. This was the V6, so it wasn't super quick. But it still made a pleasant exhaust note and was still sort of fun. But WOW the visibility was non existent with the roof up. How this car is legal is beyond me. Felt like I was looking at the road through a straw. Also the interior was just downright awful.
Attachment 2714406

Car: Mercedes E43 amg

This car was an absolute joy to drive. I'm not sure how to explain it or why, but it was just so much fun. I have fond memories from our week in LA driving this around. And on top of that, the interior was beautiful and comfortable. It may not be as fast as an m550i, but I'd take this E43 all day over that.
Attachment 2714407

Car: Tesla Model 3 long range

This was my first time driving a Tesla. I was legitimately curious about the experience as I had at one point seriously considered the model 3 as a potential next car. I came away pretty disappointed. Aside from the instant torque, it offered nothing. There was no excitement or joy in the drive. It had 0 personality, and never had I felt more like I was driving a soulless appliance. To make matters worse, the build quality wasn't good - this was a brand new car and the wireless charging pad broke (like literally, it fell through the hole), and the interior was non-existent. I drove the model 3 performance and model S as well, and had similar experiences. At that moment I decided Tesla just wasn't for me. I'm willing to try it again but now with more tapered expectations.
Attachment 2714408

Car: Volvo S60

This was a last second rental because I discovered a bubble in the tire of my 3 series, and my wife needed the X5. So while I waited for new tires, I drove this around. The seats were very comfortable, but other than that it was a very vanilla driving experience.
Attachment 2714409

Car: Lincoln MKX

This was a free "upgrade" from Avis. But an overall forgettable car... literally. Like I don't even remember what the interior looked like other than it was black.
Attachment 2714410

Car: Hyundai Accent

I was in Seattle for a conference, and accidentally booked an extra night (whoops). So I had a free day, and decided to get a cheap rental and drive out to Mt. Rainier. I had experienced understeer before.. but on this day, pushing this little accent to its limits on the mountain roads through Rainier, I truly got to know understeer in its most extreme form.
Attachment 2714411

Car: Lexus ES350

We got a ridiculously good deal on this ES350, I think it was around $35/day (renting a corolla from a rental company was going for $90/day). So I figured why not. I've owned Lexus cars in the past - an 08 IS350 and a 10 RX350. This 2021 Lexus ES350 felt like it was stuck in time. Like the design was updated but the materials quality was stuck in 2010.
Attachment 2714413

Car: BMW X7 40i

Traveled with another couple and their daughter, so decided to rent a 3 row SUV... and decided to do it right. This was more or less identical in feel to our X5, just slightly bigger (and our X5 has a few additional options). I have to say though, I love the design of the X7, it has such road presence.
Attachment 2714412
You're freaking awesome!
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      10-10-2021, 11:46 PM   #29
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep

Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I would take the Civic
      10-11-2021, 08:23 AM   #30
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

The Camaro's with a solid roof have horrible blind spots too
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      10-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #31
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Ok 2 parts to this thread:

1) Help me choose a rental car. Here are the options:

- 2022 Honda Civic - $65/day
- 2018 Alfa Stelvio - $68/day
- 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance - $101/day
- 2021 Acura TLX - $91/day

I'm leaning towards the Stelvio, but sort of intrigued by trying out the all new Civic or the TLX. The Tesla is in here because that's awfully cheap for a performance model.

2) What are some interesting rental cars you guys have had in the past?
1. Take the Tesla, beat the crap out of it, then post a review here.

2. I rented a Toyota in Hawaii back in the early 1970's and it turned out to be a real beater. So when I was going down a steep grade I turned the ignition off, pumped the gas pedal, then turned the ignition back on. Blam, there goes the muffler. This allowed me to turn the car in for another Toyota. This one was newer and better, but it blew a fuse at sunset and all the lights went out. We were way out in the boonies and among the sugar cane fields. So, I located the blown fuse, wrapped a piece of Juicy Fruit gum tinfoil wrapper around the fuse and shoved it back in. The lights came back on and off we went!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
wtwo317864.00
      10-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #32
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
Those got damn prices are ridiculous.
Fuck happened to $32/day?
Let me guess, car shortage.
No. Thirty years.
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #33
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
Car: BMW X7 40i, Location: San Francisco, CA.....it has such road presence.
Attachment 2714412
Yeah. Like a bus.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:54 PM   #34
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

You'd have to be crazy to pass on the Stelvio.

Sure you're used to the acceleration of the M340, but that 2.0L + AWD still sends the Stelvio to 60 in about 5.4 seconds. After the initial lag there's a nice push of acceleration. Handling/steering is a complete joy.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      10-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #35
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Agree on the jeep, simply baffled by their popularity. Horrible things to drive.
Agree. I rented the pickup version of the Wrangler not long ago and it was absolutely terrible.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317864.00
3.0L8902.00
      10-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #36
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
1. Take the Tesla, beat the crap out of it, then post a review here.

2. I rented a Toyota in Hawaii back in the early 1970's and it turned out to be a real beater. So when I was going down a steep grade I turned the ignition off, pumped the gas pedal, then turned the ignition back on. Blam, there goes the muffler. This allowed me to turn the car in for another Toyota. This one was newer and better, but it blew a fuse at sunset and all the lights went out. We were way out in the boonies and among the sugar cane fields. So, I located the blown fuse, wrapped a piece of Juicy Fruit gum tinfoil wrapper around the fuse and shoved it back in. The lights came back on and off we went!
That's some MacGyver shit right there.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #37
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

Alfa...Civic shouldn't even be on the list.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      10-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #38
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

So wtwo3 did you end up choosing the Stelvio? Definitely my top pick, the most fun SUV out there.
wtwo317864.00
      10-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #39
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

last couple years i've rented a r8 v10 spyder, 2022 civic, e89 z4 3.5is, 2018 tt-rs. gf has a tlx we've road tripped in. all on turo

really just depends where you are going and what traffic is like. renting a sports car in a major city like LA is just pointless. there is so much traffic combined with crap roads you couldn't even speed if you wanted to. I'd also recommend an SUV, otherwise everyone's headlights are at your eye level.

rented the R8 and Z4 in phoenix. the r8 was surprisingly disappointing and z4 surprisingly nice.... all because the bmw had a DCT and the R8 had that terrible e-gear.

rented the civic and TTRS in LA. the civic was better here because of what i mentioned above. there was no room to push the audi's limits. the civic was very quiet and relaxing by comparison.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      10-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #40
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
So wtwo3 did you end up choosing the Stelvio? Definitely my top pick, the most fun SUV out there.
Funny you ask....

So I was settled on the Stelvio. HOWEVER, my brother-in-law just recently purchased a 3rd car, a 2018 camry, which he said we can just use for the week. So I guess that's that.

That being said, I'll be renting something for our potential upcoming trip to San Diego - and there's a MUCH better selection out there. I'll be sure to post the options.

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      10-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #41
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
last couple years i've rented a r8 v10 spyder, 2022 civic, e89 z4 3.5is, 2018 tt-rs. gf has a tlx we've road tripped in. all on turo

really just depends where you are going and what traffic is like. renting a sports car in a major city like LA is just pointless. there is so much traffic combined with crap roads you couldn't even speed if you wanted to. I'd also recommend an SUV, otherwise everyone's headlights are at your eye level.

rented the R8 and Z4 in phoenix. the r8 was surprisingly disappointing and z4 surprisingly nice.... all because the bmw had a DCT and the R8 had that terrible e-gear.

rented the civic and TTRS in LA. the civic was better here because of what i mentioned above. there was no room to push the audi's limits. the civic was very quiet and relaxing by comparison.
Well with places like LA you have to get outside city limits to really enjoy it. There's lots of great canyon roads west of the city.

Phoenix though is incredible. LOVE everything about phoenix and hope to move there one day. Relatively lighter traffic, super low property taxes, great driving roads nearby.

Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      10-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #42
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Well with places like LA you have to get outside city limits to really enjoy it. There's lots of great canyon roads west of the city.

Phoenix though is incredible. LOVE everything about phoenix and hope to move there one day. Relatively lighter traffic, super low property taxes, great driving roads nearby.
i agree. AZ is great for a motorhead. no rain to make your car dirty and no "putting my car up for winter". i'm thinking of moving there eventually too.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
wtwo317864.00
      11-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #43
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Well guys I have booked a car for my San Diego trip next month.

Will be driving this beautiful Macan GTS for the week. Will let you all know my impressions after the trip.

Name:  GjK5oJClT_-SFiwqjkh6eg.1440x700.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  241.0 KB

Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
RickFLM410879.00
S1nner118.00
      12-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #44
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
"rental" car update. On my recent trip to Virginia (which was the original driver of this thread), I drove my brother in law's Camry for the week, with a few sessions in his (new to him) C7 Vette.

This was my first time driving a C7. My thoughts? I love the seating position, super low to the ground. It sounds great, looks great, I love that it's N/A so the power builds linearly, and of course shifting my own gears is always a blast. But there's some issues.... The interior seems to be built by Fisher Price. Everything's plasticky and rickety. It just doesn't feel well put together. It was FUN.... but the questionable build quality was smacking me in the face every time I drove it.

Oh the Camry? Funny.... I don't have any memory of it....

Name:  20211123_170635.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  298.2 KB
Name:  20211123_170737.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  421.7 KB
Name:  20211123_170819.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  296.9 KB
Name:  20211123_170942.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  230.5 KB
Name:  20211123_170832.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  84.2 KB
Name:  20211123_171311.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  109.6 KB

Appreciate 2
vreihen1614885.00
stein_325i25051.00