New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-23-2023, 09:15 AM   #287
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Not sure what pain I’m experiencing, but I’m at an all stop on running. Tuesday or Wednesday, towards the last mile of my run, I started getting a cramping like sharp pain in my outer upper calf. No pain under pressure, or in a jump rope like motion. But retracting and extending my leg is painful on each movement.

I took two days off, pain went away, but after 2 miles it came back. I tried googling what I could, but explaining the pain is difficult.

Any ideas? I plan to try again Tuesday so we will see.
I'm not the best on recognizing injuries... but I'll try to help. Maybe a muscle strain or pull? Maybe stretching would help?

Worst comes to worst and you can't figure it out, a visit to a good PT would be worth it. I had some muscle imbalances before (to DLPFCB's point) and the PT identified correctly where, taught me how to fix the problem, and it's been fixed now for about 3 years. Best of luck.
      01-24-2023, 11:38 AM   #288
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

How do you slow down, without stopping?
Last night I take off, and first click is better than a while, 5:25. I was a bit upset at some of the parking issues I see continue in my neighborhood.
But then comes the inevitable slowing of pace that I seem to experience as I get into middle distance. I *think* I need to slow down at beginning to be able to maintain consistent pace thru-out, but I just can't seem to do it. Then I get gassed and end up walking portions. . .

Getting old(er) sucks! I so love running, but running don't so much love my older body any more.
      01-24-2023, 03:01 PM   #289
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
How do you slow down, without stopping?
Last night I take off, and first click is better than a while, 5:25. I was a bit upset at some of the parking issues I see continue in my neighborhood.
But then comes the inevitable slowing of pace that I seem to experience as I get into middle distance. I *think* I need to slow down at beginning to be able to maintain consistent pace thru-out, but I just can't seem to do it. Then I get gassed and end up walking portions. . .

Getting old(er) sucks! I so love running, but running don't so much love my older body any more.
I'm not very good with pacing. I'm getting better. My improvement is a combo of running with my wife (who is very disciplined and good at pacing) and treadmill runs (because the machine controls your pace).

As a result of that, I'm starting to be able to tell how fast I'm running, meaning that when I am about to look at my watch I guess that I am running 7:15 or 9:30 or whatever pace and I'm close. Maybe you have a running buddy or a treadmill (or both) that could help you out.
      01-24-2023, 04:42 PM   #290
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Maybe you have a running buddy or a treadmill (or both) that could help you out.
"I'm a loner Doty, a rebel"

Maybe the treadmill, since it is getting so cold around here. When I went out last night it was barely 52
      01-24-2023, 06:45 PM   #291
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Have not ran an distance beyond a 5k in 6 years and my knees are thanking me, Was a decent runner in but my back injury exacerbated it but USAF PT required it. The sit up portion put far too much strain on my L3/L4 I used to enjoy running but stress and other non determined issues prevent. Used to run alot. Ran half marathons and did Boston once as jump in my 20's.

Running is very tough on you body.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 11:25 AM   #292
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
"I'm a loner Doty, a rebel"

Maybe the treadmill, since it is getting so cold around here. When I went out last night it was barely 52
After running in the north for many years, I would laugh at 52 being too cold. Now being in FL for some time, I agree. LOL
      01-25-2023, 11:35 AM   #293
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After running in the north for many years, I would laugh at 52 being too cold. Now being in FL for some time, I agree. LOL
THAT'S why I didn't recognize the maps on RK
      02-17-2023, 09:23 AM   #294
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Strong start to the year - distance wise - for me. Over 100 miles in January and on pace for miles for February.

I hope everyone else is sticking to their goals! This is the time where you have to dig deep to make it a habit if it's a new goal for you.
      02-21-2023, 06:49 AM   #295
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Strong start to the year - distance wise - for me. Over 100 miles in January and on pace for miles for February.

I hope everyone else is sticking to their goals! This is the time where you have to dig deep to make it a habit if it's a new goal for you.
Forgot to update what happened towards the end of 2022. Managed to do 1100 miles exactly for 2022 which is way past my goal of 1000 miles. I was so thrilled with that, because with my IT band issues, I really didn't think I was going to make it around Oct Nov.

Luckily, the training for my marathon helped me pick up the lost miles. I ran my first marathon on Jan 21st in Thailand, so conditions werent fantastic (ie warm and humid). I was shooting for a sub 5 hrs because it's the first time I've ran that far but managed a 4:27. Bonked really hard at 22 miles and dropped to 12 min mile pace, but was able to pick up the end a bit. Couldn't walk well for 2 days, but it went way better than I expected. Certainly won't be my last marathon.

For 2023, I'm going to start shooting for a half Ironman in March 2024, so i really need to get going now, especially swimming portion. Currently training for Ville2Ville, which is a 6 person relay race from Asheville to Greenville. Not super stressed about this one because our team is not setting out to beat any records.

Currently at 173.5 for the year as of today for the year! Needless to say, running has completely transformed my life.

I wish everyone a great year!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2023.50
UncleWede17872.50
      02-21-2023, 08:17 AM   #296
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Forgot to update what happened towards the end of 2022. Managed to do 1100 miles exactly for 2022 which is way past my goal of 1000 miles. I was so thrilled with that, because with my IT band issues, I really didn't think I was going to make it around Oct Nov.

Luckily, the training for my marathon helped me pick up the lost miles. I ran my first marathon on Jan 21st in Thailand, so conditions werent fantastic (ie warm and humid). I was shooting for a sub 5 hrs because it's the first time I've ran that far but managed a 4:27. Bonked really hard at 22 miles and dropped to 12 min mile pace, but was able to pick up the end a bit. Couldn't walk well for 2 days, but it went way better than I expected. Certainly won't be my last marathon.

For 2023, I'm going to start shooting for a half Ironman in March 2024, so i really need to get going now, especially swimming portion. Currently training for Ville2Ville, which is a 6 person relay race from Asheville to Greenville. Not super stressed about this one because our team is not setting out to beat any records.

Currently at 173.5 for the year as of today for the year! Needless to say, running has completely transformed my life.

I wish everyone a great year!
Awesome - congrats on the marathon!
      02-22-2023, 10:33 AM   #297
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I've only managed a few runs this year. Soccer season starts March 3, and Special Olympics Torch run must be in April or so. I can still go out and cold run 5K, the torch is just over 4 miles. Still, my biggest challenge running is that I run out of glucose as a diabetic. My CGM simply won't report when my heart rate goes above about 130, which is when I REALLY need to be tracking glucose levels
      04-28-2023, 08:42 AM   #298
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

About a third of the way through the year - it's a good time for people to check in on themselves and see how they are progressing towards their yearly goals. Ahead? Great - keep it going! On pace - Good for you! Behind? - There's still time to get it back. Just need to start pushing a bit harder now.

Best of luck to everyone. `
      05-08-2023, 10:08 PM   #299
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I have 2 main directions I head towards when I go. Seems the last 10 or so, no matter which direction I start I always end in 10-15mph headwind
      05-10-2023, 09:30 AM   #300
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have 2 main directions I head towards when I go. Seems the last 10 or so, no matter which direction I start I always end in 10-15mph headwind
Haha - how frustrating!

I've run on the beach a few times. One of the times, it was a couple of days prior to a hurricane coming (so it was windy). I felt like I ran into the wind both directions. LOL That was a tough run.
      05-10-2023, 05:42 PM   #301
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha - how frustrating!

I've run on the beach a few times. One of the times, it was a couple of days prior to a hurricane coming (so it was windy). I felt like I ran into the wind both directions. LOL That was a tough run.
I tried SO HARD to convince myself the wind was the result of me running so fast. Then I stopped and walked a few feet . . .

08-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #302
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Pretty much back in the swing of running so that’s great. Legs have been feeling strong. So far this week I’ve done
Monday - 6 miles
Tuesday - 7.5 miles
Wednesday - hiit training - 3miles to start then 1/2 in between each set
This morning - 9.5miles

Want to do a half soon for fun.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      08-31-2023, 01:43 PM   #303
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I'm getting better at starting at the correct pace so I can finish at the same. 10 seconds slower for the last split in comparison to the first. Only walked twice on Tuesday's run. Prepping for Santa to the Sea again.
chassis6373.50
      12-06-2023, 04:08 PM   #304
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Santa to the Sea on Sunday morning. Morning being the issue I'm mostly going to have. My goal now is simply to complete the course before they shut it down
      12-11-2023, 05:25 PM   #305
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I realistically, based on training times, was shooting for sub-35:00 on the 5k.

I came in 5/14 in mens' 55-59 group. At 31:59!!!! Something about competition. . .

I need to scroll back thru a few pages and see what I did 2 years ago.
      12-13-2023, 11:07 AM   #306
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I realistically, based on training times, was shooting for sub-35:00 on the 5k.

I came in 5/14 in mens' 55-59 group. At 31:59!!!! Something about competition. . .

I need to scroll back thru a few pages and see what I did 2 years ago.
That's awesome - congrats!!!

You're right - I can never replicate race times when I'm training. Even if I'm "training hard" or doing "speed work." Just something about the actual race that gets you into another gear.
      12-31-2023, 11:09 AM   #307
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Finished the year off in style with a 13.1mile run in 1:46! Just wanted the miles so I really wasn’t pushing the pace. This was 51miles for the week. Have my first half marathon “race” in 3 weeks. Signed up for my first marathon the beginning of June. So have another 5months to train hard. Hoping I can be around the 7:30 pace but I have a lot of work to do.

Other PRs over the last week: 21:50 5k, 46:10 10k (that was actually yesterday during a 9 mile run).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      01-05-2024, 08:46 AM   #308
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Finished the year off in style with a 13.1mile run in 1:46! Just wanted the miles so I really wasn’t pushing the pace. This was 51miles for the week. Have my first half marathon “race” in 3 weeks. Signed up for my first marathon the beginning of June. So have another 5months to train hard. Hoping I can be around the 7:30 pace but I have a lot of work to do.

Other PRs over the last week: 21:50 5k, 46:10 10k (that was actually yesterday during a 9 mile run).
Awesome - good for you!

I hit my 2023 goal for distance on Dec 31. Cut it close. LOL Here's to a better 2024!