New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-28-2022, 07:51 PM   #353
vbb
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2022 M4 manual

I'm with you on thinking "americanized" Chinese food tastes better than the real deal. I guess my tastebuds have been conditioned. But it's like junk food, with tons of sodium/msg and sugar, which unfortunately is what our tastebuds have come to like. I once gave up all processed sugar for a few weeks, and when I came back to it everything tasted way too sweet. I need to do that again, come to think of it.

But Filipino food? That's fantastic. In fact, "real" Filipino and Thai food are my favorites of the Asian cuisine.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318041.50
      12-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #354
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Here's a great one if I do say so myself

The Mona Lisa is of an unattractive woman and super-overrated. What is the big deal w that painting??
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 4
________4160.00
wtwo318041.50
CamasM3e933204.50
hubbahubba8892.50
      12-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #355
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

https://www.atxfinearts.com/blogs/ne...special-famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 04:42 PM   #356
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
I'm with you on thinking "americanized" Chinese food tastes better than the real deal. I guess my tastebuds have been conditioned. But it's like junk food, with tons of sodium/msg and sugar, which unfortunately is what our tastebuds have come to like. I once gave up all processed sugar for a few weeks, and when I came back to it everything tasted way too sweet. I need to do that again, come to think of it.

But Filipino food? That's fantastic. In fact, "real" Filipino and Thai food are my favorites of the Asian cuisine.
We talking about Panda Express or PF Chang's?
Cuz that's gross
Authentic Chinese is very diverse, depending on the region it's from
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2022, 05:01 PM   #357
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
We talking about Panda Express or PF Chang's?
Cuz that's gross
Authentic Chinese is very diverse, depending on the region it's from
TELL 'EM, HAWK!

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

The sweet & sour pork is a good cross-over, some of the noodle stuff are alright, but the deep-fried stuff is just nasty, I'm sorry.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 05:28 PM   #358
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
TELL 'EM, HAWK!

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

The sweet & sour pork is a good cross-over, some of the noodle stuff are alright, but the deep-fried stuff is just nasty, I'm sorry.
I have a Panda Express by me. Not my favorite place but I go there on occasion. By no means am I an authority on Chinese food. I actually find the little hole in the wall places to be the best. Not all, but some of them.
      12-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #359
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I have a Panda Express by me. Not my favorite place but I go there on occasion. By no means am I an authority on Chinese food. I actually find the little hole in the wall places to be the best. Not all, but some of them.
I wanna tone down from my previous posts , some of the stuff is alright and it's for sure very convenient and inexpensive. I understand not everyone can search for a good authentic place that serves a mean wonton soup noodle, for example. I smile w admiration whenever I see a Westerner/other ethnicity ordering from the food court of some local Chinese mall, they know what's up.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 06:01 PM   #360
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wanna tone down from my previous posts , some of the stuff is alright and it's for sure very convenient and inexpensive. I understand not everyone can search for a good authentic place that serves a mean wonton soup noodle, for example. I smile w admiration whenever I see a Westerner/other ethnicity ordering from the food court of some local Chinese mall, they know what's up.
Westerner, huh? I am from the west side. West coast, that is. Lol
      12-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #361
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Westerner, huh? I am from the west side. West coast, that is. Lol
Caucasian? Occidental? US person of European descent? O Pale One? Slightly furry humanoid?
Appreciate 1
Esteban44218.00
      12-29-2022, 06:18 PM   #362
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Caucasian? Occidental? US person of European descent? O Pale One? Slightly furry humanoid?
All of the above is fine. I’ll answer to most anything.
      12-29-2022, 06:31 PM   #363
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
All of the above is fine. I’ll answer to most anything.
I went w "Westerner" since it seemed most PC

Anyway, ya, it's a nice feeling seeing that, I guess I'm a softy/optimist and wanna see the world as described in Louis Armstrong's TM song
Appreciate 1
Esteban44218.00
      12-29-2022, 06:41 PM   #364
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'm with you.

12-30-2022, 04:30 AM   #365
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3CX

I am pretty picky about Chinese food. Most all Chinese restaurants don't do it for me, as I like spicy, and I find them to be bland. During Covid and while using DoorDash quite a bit, we found one that is absolutely outstanding. Only later on did we find out that it was actually inside an Asian market. They are the only restaurant I have tried in the last 30 years that know what "extra, extra, extra spicy" means. They know how to light me up!
Appreciate 2
Llarry16400.50
Esteban44218.00
      12-30-2022, 09:39 AM   #366
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Here's a great one if I do say so myself

The Mona Lisa is of an unattractive woman and super-overrated. What is the big deal w that painting??
And it's tiny! What's up with that!!

I actually do get the Mona Lisa, especially after reading Walter Isaacson's excellent da Vinci biography. It's a breathtaking painting, even moreso considering that it has suffered a great deal of degradation through the years. What it must have looked like when it was just finished is kind of mind boggling.

Jackson Pollock on the other hand...
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 09:46 AM   #367
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Exactly - without the context of art over 5 centuries old or willingness to learn about one of the most famous pieces of art to be displayed at the Louvre that it's overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:54 AM   #368
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 M2

Costco is overrated. Yes, you can buy things in bulk and save money compared to other stores. But, often times the main things you go there to buy become unavailable, most of the time you are buying way more of 1 thing than you will probably ever use in a reasonable amount of time, there is a limited selection of stuff, you still have to go to other stores to buy most of the things you have/need in your kitchen. Overall, I don't feel I get enough value in cost-savings when I consider the opportunity cost and trade-offs of going there.
      12-30-2022, 10:34 AM   #369
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Costco is overrated. Yes, you can buy things in bulk and save money compared to other stores. But, often times the main things you go there to buy become unavailable, most of the time you are buying way more of 1 thing than you will probably ever use in a reasonable amount of time, there is a limited selection of stuff, you still have to go to other stores to buy most of the things you have/need in your kitchen. Overall, I don't feel I get enough value in cost-savings when I consider the opportunity cost and trade-offs of going there.
1000% agree. The sizes of food are just too big and I have two freezers and two fridges ffs. You save a few bucks but TBH if you just buy stuff on sale from regular stores the prices are about the same with way less storage hassle.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2081.00
      12-30-2022, 12:16 PM   #370
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
And it's tiny! What's up with that!!

I actually do get the Mona Lisa, especially after reading Walter Isaacson's excellent da Vinci biography. It's a breathtaking painting, even moreso considering that it has suffered a great deal of degradation through the years. What it must have looked like when it was just finished is kind of mind boggling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Exactly - without the context of art over 5 centuries old or willingness to learn about one of the most famous pieces of art to be displayed at the Louvre that it's overrated.
I respect that, ppl reading up on stuff, but to me that's not what art is all about. I don't want someone else to tell me how great it is and what to think/feel about it, it is ART, there is no right answer, it is how it makes *me* feel when I see it.

Well, like I said, that's my unpopular opinion, Mona Lisa's not all that. I'm more of a landscape guy anyway, never into portraits.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 12:19 PM   #371
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Ya, I was debating whether or not to join as obviously it's paid membership and it just didn't make sense for a couple household. There are some odd neat things one can get there in bulk, but overall I don't see the fascination.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2081.00
      12-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #372
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Why do ppl still get real Xmas trees, can't be good killing trees, attracting insects into one's home, all that mess of falling needles and what not and having to toss it out come next year. Why? ...and don't say 'tradition', that's weaksauce lol.

Dark tinted vehicles have greater probability of having jerk drivers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 04:57 PM   #373
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Why do ppl still get real Xmas trees, can't be good killing trees, attracting insects into one's home, all that mess of falling needles and what not and having to toss it out come next year. Why? ...and don't say 'tradition', that's weaksauce lol.

Dark tinted vehicles have greater probability of having jerk drivers.
Trees are a renewable resource... It is probably much worse for the environment to manufacture a fake tree.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 05:21 PM   #374
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Real Christmas trees are overrated.
Appreciate 0