New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #199
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNight707 View Post
Believe it or not, this is the safest more efficient way to merge… and in places like southern California, the only way.

“ Zipper merge

Road work or accidents may require lane closures. When you encounter lane closures, you may need to get into a new lane or allow others to get into your lane. Zipper merging is considered to be a best practice by the Federal Highway Administration and a safe way to handle lane closures. Zipper merging is when drivers use both lanes of traffic until they reach the defined merge area and then alternate into the open lane in a zipper fashion. A zipper merge reduces unexpected and dangerous lane switching as well as traffic backup.”

Mine is when the idiot from the number 5-6 lane jumps to the number 1-2 lane to just go SLOWER!!!!!
If you read my follow up posts, I was not referring to zipper merging...I know what that is and that it's the safest /most effective way of merging (when done correctly). I'm talking about the people that fly down to the end of the merge lane just to come to a complete stop and then try to figure out how to get in (now that cars are lined up bumper to bumper). It actually prevents others from using the zipper method.
      11-03-2022, 01:43 AM   #200
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

People who don't allow me to pass when I'm out playing speed demon on some of my favorite back roads.

Yes I'm being an a-hole, just move over it's a win-win for both of us.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 01:47 AM   #201
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
WHat about the slow turners? You know, taking a corner or turning into a driveway or mall they nearly come to a DEAD FUCKING STOP. Turn you muppet, tuuuuuuuuuuurn.
To add to that, when they don't signal before making their 2mph turn. It's not only annoying but dangerous too.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #202
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

When you're driving on the highway in the middle of the night and you run into that guy that either wants to match your speed no matter what speed you're going, or when you pass them, they decide to speed up and pass you only to slow down later causing you to pass them again and again despite you staying at a constant speed the whole time........

There are also those people that clearly have no idea where tf they're going. They'll slow down sometimes coming to a near stop at each turn trying to figure out whether or not to turn.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #203
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post

3. Just general not paying attention because of their phone, eating, reading, or trying to make their vehicle an extension of their home.

4. Being slow. This one is my fault. When I'm driving, I'm driving, and nothing else, and when the light turns green, I'm off, and I'm just generally paying a lot of attention and like to get to where I'm going at a quick pace. It's not required by law for others to do the same, so that's why I said it's my fault. But damn, just GTFO the way!!!
I appreciate that you're holding yourself accountable and being open minded but in many many many cases, #4 is caused by #3 and that is absolutely not your fault. There is literally never (I'm using this expression correctly) a trip that I take where I don't see at least one person "asleep" at the wheel leaving 10+ car lengths and driving 10mph under staring at their crotch (phone). I agree, we can't expect others to want to drive fast but we certainly can expect them to put down their phones and keep up with traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:51 AM   #204
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
There are also those people that clearly have no idea where tf they're going.
This reminds me of a difference btwn TX and CA. In TX, if someone is doing a u-turn, it's because they screwed up. There's rarely any other reason to do one.

I moved to CA and at first I was amazed at how many idiots would miss their turn. Sidenote: The reason I care is that I'm driving along and my light turns red because someone coming the other way pulls into the left turn lane and does a u-turn.

Anyway, I quickly realized that CA doesn't do multi-direction left turn lanes. Instead we have solid medians EVERYWHERE. If you want to turn left, your only choice is to go to the next stop light and u-turn. In other states you see a business on the left, so you pull into the center lane and wait for an opportunity to turn. Bonus benefit, then when you're leaving that place, you can turn left back onto the main road. In CA, if we turn into a place on the right, when we're done we have to drive all the way around the block to go back where we came from.

All because some pansy city planners decided shared middle lanes were dangerous. Yeah, that's why other states are filled with dead bodies
Appreciate 0