New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
turb0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: g05 x5 45e

need advice about used car fraud?

OK ill try to explain as best as possible the situation. If anybody knows or has advice, I would greatly appreciate it

My gf's lil brother just bought his first car. A used Honda civic for $xx amount in cash. Everything is good for a while until he tries to go register for his tag. The tag office informs him that he can't get his tag bc the previous owner(s) didn't pay for the car tax since 2005. We call the dude who sold the car and he basically says he didn't know and its not his responsibility since he only had the car for couple months and he says he doesn't know he info of the previous Guy who had it. This is where I think he's lying but I dunno.

Here's some other info:
-the title is under some other name (not the Guy who sold it) but the back is signed by the the title name
-the bill if sale is signed by the current seller
-says the title was issued the same day as the day he bought the car which is kinda confusing and
-the Guys name who sold the car isn't even on the title. Its basically the first guy who signed it and then second guy (current) didn't bother signing it And then when he handed the title over made my gfs bro sign it (guess he didn't even bother transferring the title?)
- don't know if it matters but the bill of sale says sold as is and buyer is responsible foe all financial issues.
-tried contacting the first owner but there is no number just an address

I don't know what to do. I thought this was fraud of some sort andit is the responsibility of whoever owned the car during those non-tax-paid years (the seller or if he's telling the truth the owner before him). If we take it to court are we guarantted a win or are we just screwed? Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance and sorry foe the long and probably confusing post
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
darkm3
Banned
Rep

Drives: e46

He bought his civic for less than $100?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
brokemywallet
Slaveaholic
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330I

I'd say you guys got screwed on this one. Yes, you can physically try to sue the "previous" owner that never titled the car in his name, but I'd say good luck. That would be a red flag if it wasn't even in his name.

But seriously, I'd try to go after who sold it to you.....but I doubt that you can really do anything about it........
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Drives: Saturn Redline

i think this will largely matter on a state by state basis. ask your dmv.

in PA you could just leave it in your parking lot for a month and call it in as 'abandoned' at that point you own the car (After they 'attempt' to reach the last owner'

for the past due taxes though, no matter what I think you're stuck paying.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

i believe you might be able to apply for a lost title, it takes a lot but i had a friend in highschool that had a simular thing happen, guy sold him a car with a vin from another car simular to the one he bought(yea he was a dumbass for not looking, which i let him know that haha)...i think he put it in the newspaper as abandoned or some shit and had to do a lot of paperwork but somehow did it, im sorry i dont remember the details...
      04-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
i believe you might be able to apply for a lost title, it takes a lot but i had a friend in highschool that had a simular thing happen, guy sold him a car with a vin from another car simular to the one he bought(yea he was a dumbass for not looking, which i let him know that haha)...i think he put it in the newspaper as abandoned or some shit and had to do a lot of paperwork but somehow did it, im sorry i dont remember the details...
+1 definitely check out your local dmv, just say it all hypothetically
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I personally never heard of this issue where you can not register a car since the pervious owner did not pay taxes on the car. I am not even sure what those taxes would be. Usually registration fees are tied to the license plate and owner not the car itself.

But it sounds like the guy the brother bought it form ran in to the same problem and it was just easier to resale it then to deal with the mess. Just because you bought a car you do not have to immediate register it or transfer title. Many times dealer do not transfer title since it just add increases the number of register owners and more owner less likely to get a higher price.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
turb0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: g05 x5 45e

Hey thanks for all ur replies.

As for applying for a lost title I don't know how that helps me lol unless that somehow gets the taxes paid.

To the poster above, I've never heard of this either and that's what I think about the previous Guy not wanting to deal with it too.

I just thought this was fraud or something? Not disclosing information about this?? I just can't understand this. And if we do get screwed, I'm surprised how easily it can be done.

I break it down to basically these options,
1. Forget about it I'm screwed anyways and pay the taxes
2. File a claim on the previous owner
3. Sue?
4. Sell the car and pull this same shit
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Slow homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0 View Post
Hey thanks for all ur replies.

As for applying for a lost title I don't know how that helps me lol unless that somehow gets the taxes paid.

To the poster above, I've never heard of this either and that's what I think about the previous Guy not wanting to deal with it too.

I just thought this was fraud or something? Not disclosing information about this?? I just can't understand this. And if we do get screwed, I'm surprised how easily it can be done.

I break it down to basically these options,
1. Forget about it I'm screwed anyways and pay the taxes
2. File a claim on the previous owner
3. Sue?
4. Sell the car and pull this same shit
1. If its not to much money than just pay up.
2. Probably will result in nothing.
3. No. Waste of time and money.
4. You could do this. Just make sure you meet the guy at a common place and dont give him your address.

It sounds like the previous owner never registered or titled the car. I got a friend who goes through cars so fast he doesnt bother registering them to avoid the fee.
      04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Maestro
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Oh, I think I figure it out, when a car is sold the buyer is usually required to pay the state sale tax on the car. I definitely not sure how it is handle in GA buy the few states I have done it in usually it gets paid when you go to transfer the title with the state, they ask for a bill of sale or they just use the blue book value of the car to calculate the tax on the car.

It sounds like someone along the line when the car was sold never paid the sales tax, and state is holding the title transfer ransom until the tax is paid.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
UAP1
www.UltimateAutoPortal.co m
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i. Few mods.

1. Check with you local DMV and get advice.

2. Not sure how it works in your state. In TX we registration is on the window. So, we can tell if previous owner had the car with current registration. Is there any way to tell if the car had current registration with previous owner? I ask because if he ever went to register the vehicle ...I would guess he would have knowledge of tax owed.

3. Does the bill of sale show the last owners name and signature? I ask because if you have bill of sale showing he was owner...and sold you the vehicle. Then, you have proof he was last owner. This could be used as leverage if he gave you a open title without his signature. Again, not sure how your state works. In TX that is illegal. Usually means somebody avoided paying state sales tax.

From your description. Sounds like the guy that sold it could have not only avoided paying sales tax...he might have had knowledge tax $ was owed on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0