New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #177
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
He does have a certain zest for life doesn't he? My theory is that it stems from having been born in a place where pretty much every living thing can kill you, and IS trying to kill you.
LOL fair enough, that may be just the case..

I just think all things considered this year, I'm tired of the social tear down and destruction and used to be a silent observer. I am through doing so and detest behavior intended to do just this. I expect more from humanity. Be better. Do better.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      12-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #178
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

For anyone joining, just to summarize. Love is blind. Marriage is an institution. Therefore marriage is an institution of the blind.

One user also said that his wife treats him like a God. She only talks to him when she wants something.

A lady has also said that men tend to act like the weather and clearly cannot make their mind up. She thinks it is because God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to run one at a time.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #179
//Melon
Designer, Builder, Thrasher of Tires.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1987 BMW 325, 2014 BMW 328i

I'm an atheist, but there is nothing wrong with having faith. Faith brings people a lot of comfort and peace, and the Bible does have some good philosophy for life in there.

It becomes an issue when either side shoves in the other person's face.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3128.50
Soul_Glo13288.50
      12-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #180
//Melon
Designer, Builder, Thrasher of Tires.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1987 BMW 325, 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I think I know what you mean. I hope it's at least a peaceful split. Good luck!

I picked up some antidepressants today, after a phone call to my doctor. Hopefully levelling me out a bit will make the world seem a better place!
Thanks man, me too.
I don't like to approach this with shouting or arguing, but due to the heated nature of emotions it may come to that.

I was on Zoloft for a few years in my early 20's. It really did me a lot of good. Don't hesitate if it makes you feel a way you don't like, sluggish, foggy etc. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find on that works best with your physiology.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #181
rcracin
Major
Rep

Drives: M3

Imagine having to believe in theories that cannot be proven as the backbone of your marriage. It’s amazing the lengths ppl will go to in order to avoid accepting personal responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #182
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Imagine having to believe in theories that cannot be proven as the backbone of your marriage. It’s amazing the lengths ppl will go to in order to avoid accepting personal responsibility.
So a theory, like love you mean...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #183
rcracin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
So a theory, like love you mean...
Love is an emotion. Marriage is a commitment. God is a figment of the imagination.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #184
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Your problem there is god doesn't exist and is a figment of your imagination.
i'm not arrogant enough to think the earth spinning on its axis perfectly distanced from the sun and all the incredible details of earth was designed merely on accident. But you are of course free to believe in nothing. It would exhaust me personally not to rely on the holy spirit. When you compare us human animals to all other animals i think you'll find we are children of god - divine beings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #185
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Love is an emotion. Marriage is a commitment. God is a figment of the imagination.
Love is action plain and simple, expressed often as an emotion. Unless you've tangible evidence of its existence, its still theory. Have you hinged relationships on emotion alone and not even what you consider theory?

God's relevance, thankfully, isn't determined by your declarations regardless of how hard you opine. This is called opinion.

Now mine (opinion), why do atheists practice their religion of devout dissonance against those of faith? Aside from //melon that is. What are you looking to do, to what end? You proselytize worse than most of any faith and its disgusting.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #186
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
i'm not arrogant enough to think the earth spinning on its axis perfectly distanced from the sun and all the incredible details of earth was designed merely on accident. But you are of course free to believe in nothing. It would exhaust me personally not to rely on the holy spirit. When you compare us human animals to all other animals i think you'll find we are children of god - divine beings.
I think it is all a bunch of make believe and nothing more than fairy tales but that's not really the point.

The question at hand is marriage and religion is probably a neutral bet, you can argue it helps people stay together and you can argue it traps people because the church says it's not right to separate or whatever. It's a non factor, suggesting the lack of faith is a driver of marriage disharmony is a long bow at best.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #187
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Now mine (opinion), why do atheists practice their religion of devout dissonance against those of faith? Aside from //melon that is. What are you looking to do, to what end? You proselytize worse than most of any faith and its disgusting.
1) I never brought up religion

2) We get bent out of shape pretty quickly because once you introduce religion you open pandora's box because there is no rational limit to religion. The entire premise is spirituality, divine intervention, "mysterious ways" , "has a plan for all of us" and basically shuts down pragmatism as you are not working within the constraints of reality anymore.

It's like trying to reason with the folks on the far left who just refuse to accept that government borrowing money has to end somewhere. They are adamant that governments have no real debt, as they can print money, once you set aside constraints, discussion becomes lost as the basic foundation and boundaries are gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #188
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it is all a bunch of make believe and nothing more than fairy tales but that's not really the point.

The question at hand is marriage and religion is probably a neutral bet, you can argue it helps people stay together and you can argue it traps people because the church says it's not right to separate or whatever. It's a non factor, suggesting the lack of faith is a driver of marriage disharmony is a long bow at best.
I can agree with that. I have seen both sides of this argument for strengthening and division.

Bonus: Is it the religion, or those practicing?

Quote:
1) I never brought up religion

2) We get bent out of shape pretty quickly because once you introduce religion you open pandora's box because there is no rational limit to religion. The entire premise is spirituality, divine intervention, "mysterious ways" , "has a plan for all of us" and basically shuts down pragmatism as you are not working within the constraints of reality anymore.

It's like trying to reason with the folks on the far left who just refuse to accept that government borrowing money has to end somewhere. They are adamant that governments have no real debt, as they can print money, once you set aside constraints, discussion becomes lost as the basic foundation and boundaries are gone.
I can appreciate this perspective for sure and the analogy we can agree on. While religion as a whole has some out there concepts to believe, narratives seemingly contrived from thin air and places an infinite power in the hands of one or many deities.

I see many different religions having boundaries, rules, restrictions etc, but not all. When it pertains to marriage, I haven't found any text from my studies that show it advocates for the ruining, wrecking or damage to any marriage. While taken out of context many texts will have time specific rules, but that becomes an argument of intent which we cannot judge.

Lastly, I don't believe the intent of religion is to become irrational, rather, to explain what we cannot conceive thus giving way to the irrational with some explanations and directions. Perspective, and differences from others' is rather interesting!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #189
rcracin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Love is action plain and simple, expressed often as an emotion. Unless you've tangible evidence of its existence, its still theory. Have you hinged relationships on emotion alone and not even what you consider theory?

God's relevance, thankfully, isn't determined by your declarations regardless of how hard you opine. This is called opinion.

It’s worth noting that god was mentioned first. You got called out on bringing up something imaginary. I don’t see where an atheist in this thread set out to denounce religion. Can’t denounce something that wasn’t first brought up.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #190
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It’s worth noting that god was mentioned first. You got called out on bringing up something imaginary. I don’t see where an atheist in this thread set out to denounce religion. Can’t denounce something that wasn’t first brought up.
I didn't bring it up, I merely responded such as yourself.
Appreciate 1
rcracin1238.00
      12-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #191
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Lastly, I don't believe the intent of religion is to become irrational, rather, to explain what we cannot conceive thus giving way to the irrational with some explanations and directions. Perspective, and differences from others' is rather interesting!
Intent no, but it is irrational. It is called faith for a reason, you are asked to have faith because there's no rational evidence, if there was, it would not be called faith

In the context of the OP, I think it's irrelevant unless there is a conflict within the marriage re. incompatible religious beliefs. That's gonna cause issues though TBH my wife is a luke warm catholic and I was raised catholic (Croatian and Maltese respectively ) but I made it clear I will not get in the way of communion etc , I want zero to do with it other than the final ceremony and so far it has been pretty much a non issue.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #192
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Reading through this thread is very depressing and discouraging - but i totally get it.

Oddly enough, I just got married last month - 11.11.20. We were engaged less than a month before we tied the knot via Zoom/City Hall.

I get that Covid has all of us going crazy, being locked inside with your significant other can be a dangerous thing but fortunately, I was shocked at how well my now wife and I were getting along since the lockdown and being stuck together. I think it actually helped improve our relationship and we grew even closer. I knew that if we can stick this out together, we can face anything. We are very untraditional and low key, I literally proposed in between work calls while she was just laying on the couch. We got married less than a month later via Zoom and have no plans to do a future reception or take a honeymoon (we actually travel a lot already, pre-Covid days). Now we are happier than ever and I feel very complete.

But I do agree with you all, everyone needs "me" time and it's only healthy for the relationship as long as both parties are emotionally stable enough with trust to give each other time and space when needed. Hope my experience makes some of you re-think your current predicament and to try and make things work but totally recognize that not everything is meant to last forever.
      12-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #193
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

This guy, been married a month and wonders why it is easy. It's called the honeymoon phase for a reason
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
jjasonSU194.00
      12-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #194
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

My wife and I (just over 4 years/been together 8 years) have been living at her in-laws since Aug. 28th since we moved back to Chicago and will be moving into our new home on the 15th. If we can survive the next 14 days we can survive anything haha. Hell, with such a terrible year and everything that can go wrong going wrong I only see it making our relationship stronger.
      12-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #195
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Urrrrrrrgh we lived with her sister for 2 months through a reno and man, they dead set nearly killed each other. They are both super uptight, just brutal. Bro in law and I just stood back and ate popcorn watching it unfold.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #196
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Interesting read, I was supposed to tie the knot back in August, but covid pushed that to May. Been together maybe 9yrs now, so concerns are very minimal. In mind my were already married, been living together for 3 maybe 4yrs now. Bills are already combined an all that good stuff. Looking forward to getting that tax break finally lol!

In regards to religious aspect, I was raised catholic. Catholic school from K-8. With that said I'm not overly religious anymore. I acknowledge that he is present, but don't use it as a crutch. Fiance is Catholic as well, but same perspective as myself. Neighbors who are engaged offered to introduce us to their pastor and join a religious support group for engaged couples, but rejected that rather swiftly. To each their own though!

In regards to the divorce w/ kids aspect. My parents divorced when I was 8 or 9. Looking back I feel bad for my father. Mother was stay at home through us growing up, so 90%-95% of the time we were with her. Dad missed out on a lot, and being a kid you often don't want to hear advice from your parents. Funny how now being an adult I wish I had heeded some of his insight as well as given him more slack. Don't get me wrong, we have a great relationship now, but growing up it felt more like an obligation. If you want to maintain a rather proper connection with your kids then I would recommend toughing it out. First couple years of the divorce was hell, constant fighting, probably why I am emotionally dull on the inside haha.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #197
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Intent no, but it is irrational. It is called faith for a reason, you are asked to have faith because there's no rational evidence, if there was, it would not be called faith

In the context of the OP, I think it's irrelevant unless there is a conflict within the marriage re. incompatible religious beliefs. That's gonna cause issues though TBH my wife is a luke warm catholic and I was raised catholic (Croatian and Maltese respectively ) but I made it clear I will not get in the way of communion etc , I want zero to do with it other than the final ceremony and so far it has been pretty much a non issue.
If deviation from intent, I’d blame humanity and not the faith. Your definition is yours to hold, but not one I subscribe to. I take the textual approach “ King James Bible -Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

As for the cause of divorce, it’s hardly irrelevant to the rest of the world. In fact, in one study 13% of marriages cited religious differences, or number 11 in terms of ranked reasons. While I am quite glad for you that you have worked it out, many others cannot. Faith is often tied to convictions, a step beyond most beliefs thus, tied to what is important to many at their core. I would argue atheism’s religion is of equal or greater importance, strictly from my observations.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #198
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

The majority of divorces are from "irreconcilable" differences.

"I'm sorry, I was only thinking of myself" fixes that nonsense.

Having a loving father on earth makes it easier to conceptualize a loving heavenly father btw. Not having a father or loving father on earth makes it much harder to conceptualize a loving heavenly father.

Further, if you cannot find a church that is a good fit for you or your family, not going is likely better than going to a church that isn't a good fit. In our case, we go to a non-denominational church full of young families, so for us it's a great place to find community (common unity) with other families we otherwise would not know. The bible is full of wisdom, passed down from generations in my family. I have tried to turn away from it in my life in the past, that did not turn out so well. But others are free to do as they please, I'm just saying for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1