New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #45
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 996 TT

Hard to argue the performance numbers. I saw a turbo on the highway and it looked very nice. I sat in one in the dealership and man the interior is beautiful.

They are great cars. I'm a little biased though. I've owned P-cars for the past 11 years and they have been the most reliable, fun cars I have ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #46
ben14142001
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Random question to see if anyone knows the answer to this. Caddy has been putting up those Ring videos with the CTS-V sedan and claiming at the end that it is the "World's fastest production sedan." I've had trouble with this because the Panamera turbo is clearly faster in every category. So either GM is smoking some heavy stuff or the Panamera is not classified as a sedan. Anybody have any insight into this?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #47
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I was told by dealer turbo is highest selling model!
Calling bullshit on that one
      09-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #48
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Calling bullshit on that one
Not sure if it's bullshit or not, but it's the one I see most on the road. I think most people who look at this car is at a point where they can comfortably afford the high end model(I could be dead wrong) ..but it certainly seems this way.
      09-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #49
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Not sure if it's bullshit or not, but it's the one I see most on the road. I think most people who look at this car is at a point where they can comfortably afford the high end model(I could be dead wrong) ..but it certainly seems this way.
For me, I've only seen 2 or 3 different turbos while the majority that I see is the S model (which would be 10-15 in my area at least).
      09-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #50
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
For me, I've only seen 2 or 3 different turbos while the majority that I see is the S model (which would be 10-15 in my area at least).
i've nly seenone turno on the road. the rest have all been S models.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #51
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

I hope the plonk the diesel from the Cayenne into it then it would make sense to me. It's a nie car, it's grown on me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #52
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
Random question to see if anyone knows the answer to this. Caddy has been putting up those Ring videos with the CTS-V sedan and claiming at the end that it is the "World's fastest production sedan." I've had trouble with this because the Panamera turbo is clearly faster in every category. So either GM is smoking some heavy stuff or the Panamera is not classified as a sedan. Anybody have any insight into this?
Ironic, considering that the time listed for the Ring on fastestlaps.com states that the 7:59 time was in a pre-production model. The Panamera is indeed faster but only by 3 seconds...not a huge gap on a track this size. Also the V was out long before the Turbo. There are lots of marketing claims that are just that.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

http://www.autospies.com/news/Porsch...ion-car-45916/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #53
b0bab0i
Major
Rep

Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

S-klasse > Panamera
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #54
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '88 E30 M3

I'm in the middle of spending a week in a Panamera S driving through Germany and Switzerland. Overall it is a nice car, but I'd personally never consider buying one. Below are some observations so far.

- the car feels huge when driving it. Too big for my taste. In my opinion a few inches less in Height and length would have made it feel much smaller.
- Power from the v8 is addaquate, but nothing impressive. The v6 would feel pretty sluggish.
- steering feel is very good, better than most.
- stability at high speeds is very good. I had it up to 310kph on stretches of the autobahns and lots of driving in the 250-280 range and it feels great.
- interior materials are very nice. The leather is nice and soft, but also like it will hold up well with use (probably better than on my e90 m3).
- there are a few too many bottons for my taste, but overall things are easy to use. The nave work well and is pretty intuitive. The combo of touch screen and scrolling knobs is nice and makes for quick data entry and fast navigation of the various screens.
- the steering wheel controls are great and the LCD screen in the instrument cluster can display a lot of information and provides access to many functions you'd want to use while driving, so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel or look at the center screen.
- overall looks are pretty personal, so not much to say here. I initially didn't like it much, but it has grown on me. The front does look pretty menacing, but it also looks a bit bloated due to it's imense size.
- pdk is way to smooth and detached for my taste. To me It feels virtually identical to most modern automatics and just makes the car a bore to drive. Maybe with decent paddlenshifters it would be better, but the button on the wheel are awful.
- handling on winding country roads is ok, but no better than a 5 series with sport. The biggest problem is it's high weight. Even in sport plus it feel like a land yacht.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Overall it's a very nice car, but I don't think it is worth the extra money compared to a well equipped 550 or E550. For me the M3 is way more fun to drive and provides all the luxury and space I need at this time. Compared to it the Panamera is a real bore.

I'll post a more detailed write up after I return from my trip.
      09-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #55
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Yeah, so far I've seen 6 Turbo and 2 4S ..I've yet to see anything else. But the pricing is quite different from the States, I suppose the market is a little bit different over here.
      09-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #56
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 6mt

Quote:
No the reason for that is because last year you could only buy the Turbo or the S (8 Cyl) models.

They just introduced the 6 cylinder this year...so it only makes sense that you're seeing more Tubos and S....there are more to go around.

Eventaully the 6 cylinder will make up most Panamera sales, like any car...I see more 328 in the US and Canada than 335's.

I'd own a Porsche over a BMW any day. They don't even compete in the same league. Porsche is a step or two removed from Ferrari and Lambhorghini. BMW and Merecedes are car makers that start at 30 000 K, good cars, but different league.

As far as rear design goes, its not possible to have a lot of space in the back for 2 adults (good leg ******* without this hunchback design...unless you lengthen the car, which would be problematic for handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #57
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Best sports sedan on the market.

Think about this. BMW has always built the best 4 door sedans in the world right?

Porsche, in the first effort made a car that is the size of a 7 series, but more luxurious. It weighs as much as a 5 series and is faster. And last but not least, trounces the m3 on the track. Granted its expensive, but you get what you pay for and gotta pay to play. But you get the best when you do pay up.
The styling is obviously liked enough because a Panamera turbo with options goes for ~170K and even the S and 4S go for over 100K with options and they are quickly becoming one of Porsche's best selling cars.
And just wait for the Panamera turbo s and Panamera GTS, they will be awesome too!
Forget M cars, they don't have all wheel drive.

So compared to BMW and Mercedes AWD E and S and 5/7 series...the Panamera rips them in every sense

Mercedes S class is still very luxurious.

I do feel Porsche is in another market segment for now...until MBA's cheapen its name.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #58
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
No the reason for that is because last year you could only buy the Turbo or the S (8 Cyl) models.

They just introduced the 6 cylinder this year...so it only makes sense that you're seeing more Tubos and S....there are more to go around.

Eventaully the 6 cylinder will make up most Panamera sales, like any car...I see more 328 in the US and Canada than 335's.
I realize that the 6 cylinder model will take over because it's the most practical. I was commenting on how I see more S models than Turbo models, contrary to what someone else said.
      09-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #59
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

I personally think that the Gran Turismo S is one of the prettiest cars made. However, for that kind of money, I would buy the Panamera Turbo, and have a FAST, and good looking car.

Personally, I like the look of the Panamera, and it always gets my attention.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #60
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I realize that the 6 cylinder model will take over because it's the most practical. I was commenting on how I see more S models than Turbo models, contrary to what someone else said.
Ah...yea I don't know about that...I noticed that in places in the US where is MONEy...and I mean dolla dolla bills....like California -- people buy Turbo one day, ditch it in two months and buy another car. And its not even the Base Panamera or Base Turbo...you guys options out your cars like its Christmas...I'll see 180 K Turbos flying off the lot!

Its nuts! On some forums, people went and bought Maserati Quattroporte without even getting in it...and realize they are too tall for the damn car! Can't fit inside, and now need to get rid of it for a Panamera Turbo...its phenomenal -- I'm gonna assume they have no time because they are making the millions needed to pay for all this stuff.

Porsche isn't about speed though...their Turbo is, but its not the essence of Porsche; Porsche is about handling, you don't need loads of power to enjoy handling and driving technique.

I have noticed though in the US, the obsession with power is amazing, everyone desires the Turbo, even though the GT3 or Carrera S is more pure driving machine.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #61
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Ah...yea I don't know about that...I noticed that in places in the US where is MONEy...and I mean dolla dolla bills....like California -- people buy Turbo one day, ditch it in two months and buy another car. And its not even the Base Panamera or Base Turbo...you guys options out your cars like its Christmas...I'll see 180 K Turbos flying off the lot!

Its nuts! On some forums, people went and bought Maserati Quattroporte without even getting in it...and realize they are too tall for the damn car! Can't fit inside, and now need to get rid of it for a Panamera Turbo...its phenomenal -- I'm gonna assume they have no time because they are making the millions needed to pay for all this stuff.

Porsche isn't about speed though...their Turbo is, but its not the essence of Porsche; Porsche is about handling, you don't need loads of power to enjoy handling and driving technique.

I have noticed though in the US, the obsession with power is amazing, everyone desires the Turbo, even though the GT3 or Carrera S is more pure driving machine.
My gf loves the Panamera and I am leaning towards an ED in 2-3 years. I am looking at the 6 banger, since I cannot be trusted with anything faster than that (her opinion) , but I would love to get an insider's view on how the 6 banger feels through the years.

Great choice and good luck on the decision!
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #62
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
A car for people who enjoy annoying aesthetical traditionalists.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #63
graider
Colonel
Rep

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

with that said, the panamera rear still bug me for some reason. it looks kinda bloated.

the front is good, side is ok, then rear...yuck. it appeared porche copied the exact rear of the crossfire http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1024&bih=585
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #64
AWESOM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 17M4;15G63AMG;14E63SAMG

I must agree that the Panamera design is controversial when viewed on paper. The lines on this vehicle defy the principles of photography and only a fraction of the images capture the essence of the vehicle.

But view this beast in the flesh and its breathtaking.This is a car with tremendous physical presence. Resonates Porsche bloodline from every possible angle. The front is unmistakably Porsche....the rear is reminiscent of the 911 with minimal stretch of the imagination...and the integration of the rear door into the trunk/rear section is some impressive sculpting....

I could wax lyrical about the interior,which is consistently compared to the Bentley with respect to quality, fit and finish.

And then of course there's the performance and handling......Thoroughbred Porsche pedigree on every level.

The Turbo is regarded as the worlds fastest production sedan, and does hold the record for fastest sedan at Nurburgring.
It was tested by Car and Driver as 0 to 100km/h at 3.4 secs, 0.2 secs faster then the last 911 turbo they reviewed.
The blistering performance figures are attributed to the precise PDK double clutch transmission.

I picked up my loaded Black on Black Turbo a week ago and my life has never been the same ;-)
I bought this car sight unseen...well I guess I did see the car fleetingly when on vacation in Dubai six months ago....but I had read every article on the turbo and viewed hundreds of pics online of both the standard and modded versions.
I must confess that on my way to take delivery I was apprehensive, but all my doubts evaporated when I finally layed eyes on the vehicle on the showroom floor.....it was love at first sight.

Driving impressions and pics to follow......
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #65
graider
Colonel
Rep

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

^^damn...your description made me hungry.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #66
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
^^damn...your description made me hungry.
Panamera drives very very differently from BMW. Its just so much smoother, and more capable,...it is bigger, but the one word that comes to mind is: smooth.

The thing is like butter, so capable, yet...so refined. The steering is damn sharp too, razor precision. Its hard to drive 335i steering after the Panamera (and this is on Pirelli winter tires, I assume steering will be sharper in the summer!)...its really hard to drive the 335i after...mostly because of the steering.
Appreciate 0