E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 330i test drive (current car e46 M3)

10-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
darkside
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335

e90 330i test drive (current car e46 M3)

I just test drove an e90 330 Sport with automatic. I did not take my salesperson with me. I told him I wanted to car for about an hour. Immediatedly after this I test drove an 06 530I Sport. My impressions:

1. I like the 330 way better than the 530. It has a unique blend of luxury and performance. I was surpirsed how composed it is, and the brakes were amazing. I thought the car would be boring because I have owned my M3 for 3 years, and it is a rocket. But the 330i, even with the automatic, was very responsive. I love the exhaust note, kind of a blend between what my 01 530i sounded like and my M3. The handling of this car is nothing less than superb. It is quiet, and even at speeds of 90 + it felt completely stable. This car is not really a huge step down from the M3 in the handling dept., but it is a step up in the luxury ride dept. The seats were fantastic, better than the seats in my M3. My only concern is how my right leg was somewhat restricted laterally.

2. I test drove the 530i Sport because I have considered getting a new 550i having test drove the 545i last summer and really liked it. While the 530 is a very nice car, I preferred the 3, and not by just a little. The steering was not nearly as tight, and I just didn't get that feeling of stablility and control to the same degree, you know that "BMW feeling." My back was starting to hurt 30 minutes into the drive; the seats are definitely inferior to the 3.

Conclusion: The new 3 is a hell of a car! Better than my 01 530i by far. I am considering ordering one, as the M3 is not all that comfortable, I need a car my wife will drive so I can take her SUV on occasion, and I would just like a change. I am tiring of caring for a Jet Black car, and I keep it to autopian standards.

One question I still have not answered is Active Steering. I have a feeling I'm not going to get to test drive one with this option. Another is Navigation. My wife has Navigation on her RX 330 and we really like it. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
blackE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: sp blk 330i

I've used active steering on a 5 series and thought it was very cool. it just requires less effort to make turns and adjusts according to your speed. I didn't get it on my 3 cuz I did not see the necessity but still very cool.

As for the navigation...if you ask anybody on this board who has it they love it and i've heard nothing but good things from owners. i haven't used the version on the 3 but the idrive in the 5 is very intuitive once you get past the learning curve.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
One question I still have not answered is Active Steering. I have a feeling I'm not going to get to test drive one with this option.
Welcome to the board, darkside, and thanks for your review! I'm happy to see a glowing review from a current M3 owner, particularly since I'm debating between getting a new 330 or a used M3

I had the opportunity to test drive cars with the active steering/sports package and with regular steering/sports package, and in my opinion the active steering isn't worth the extra money. It's a really nifty option, don't get me wrong, and if they only charged an extra $500 or so for it, I'd probably get it. But at the current price point, its not necessary.

While driving at speed, I felt no real difference in the steering ratios, while at lower speeds the active steering did make it easier to maneouver the car. But not by a lot. The most noticeable area was in a parking lot, quite frankly. The regular steering is already quite nimble on the three, and an extra turn of the wheel while parking is going to be a lot easier on my wallet than the active steering
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Gator
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I think you are on to something. The e90 is a great blend of the 01 5series and the e46 M3. I have owned an e36 (328), e46(328) and 01 540. I was dead-set on buying a e46 M3 until I test drove a sport pkg 330i w/ 6spd manual.

My e90 out handles all of the above while providing ample torque and acceleration. Now if I could just get all the bugs worked out of the car I'd be happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

I would be careful of BMW navigation, especially if you are used to nav from Lexus or Acura. It really isn't even close.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Hi darkside
Welcome and thanks also for your insight.

The navigation is great, being a part of iDrive which is great as well. The reason why we all like it is manyfold but one reason is that you have a great deal of control over how your car is et up. Also once you have set it the way you want, you can all but forget it again and enjoy using say the radio/cd display, telephone BT and of course navigation.

Nice to know how high BMW has raised the e90 sports sedan bar compared with the current flagship 3 series.

My experience leads me to conclude that the old e46 323 (1998 model) that I owned for 6.5 years falls so far short compared to my curent e90. What a MASSIVE difference in quality and performance.

All the best with whatever BMW you settle for.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335

Great post darkside! That was much appreciated.

I'm also considering the new 330i and possibly the e46 M3 and it's great to hear a review from your POV.

That post went a long way towards locking up my desire for the new 330.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 08:13 PM   #8
darkside
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335

Went back to the dealership and they found a car in Portland that is close to what I want - 330i, TiAg, black leather, aluminum trim, cold weather, premium, sports, automatic, nav, and sat. prep. I would get the 6 speed if not for the fact that I need my wife to drive it on occasion, and with a manual that is just not going to happen.

I know the people at Seattle BMW well as I have purchased 2 cars from them and have made several referrals. They made me a deal I thought was more than fair. I will know tomorrow if the car is available. Could be an e-90 owner very soon. A little sad on the way home because I love my car, but really am excited. I'm already on the list for the e-90 M3, so if I feel I need to get back into more speed I'll be able to do so.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Welcome darkside!!!
Sounds like a nice package that you are putting together. I have the Nav with iDr and love it! I do not have much experience with other Nav systems, so I can't really compare for you. But as a new user, I can tell you its easy, fun, and worth it!!

Keep us updated on your ride! MTFBWY!
      10-13-2005, 10:17 PM   #10
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ironically, I was considering an E46 M3 earlier this year. After my test drive I was hooked. The M3 has great handing and the acceleration is simply amazing. I would never begin to explore the limits of that car on public roads.

When I found out about the E90, I put the M3 order on hold. I saw the car at the NY Auto show and eventually test drove one (a few days before the official release). I decided to get the E90 330i after that test drive. The handing of the E90 with sport package seemed to approach the handling of the M3, but was more comfortable. The 330i can't touch the acceleration of the M3, but it is more than adequate.

I definitely think I made the right choice in getting an E90. I hope you enjoy your car!

Michael
Appreciate 0