New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

12-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #111
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
Honestly, I don't go around showing my ridiculously, annoyingly big key fob to anybody. Who the hell would care?

I wish BMW would make the damn things MUCH smaller - I hate carrying needlessly bulky things in my pockets.

I just wish I could start the dang car with only the detachable, mechanical key. If I could, I'd just carry that around with me. -scr
looks cool but that's why I like the E chassis keys. so much smaller lol.

OP i think you mean solder, not weld LOL
      12-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #112
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post
Retrofitted mine to fit in my wallet earlier this year.
Tell us more!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #113
psedog
Captain
Rep

Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Tell us more!
I took 3 layers of plexiglass and hollowed it out to fit the PCB. At first I tried to make it with the buttons, but that area of the plexi was too weak and kept cracking. I decided to remove the buttons all together (I have comfort access and don't use them anyway). I changed the battery to a 2032 which is about half the size as the original. Then I painted it, added the stickers, and clear coated the whole thing. I really need to get access to a 3D printer or a cnc machine to make it that much better.

I left room on the side to be able to add the physical key. Just haven't felt the need to do it yet. I have a few ideas to add buttons to the side (not the originals).
Attached Images

termigni1080.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      12-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #114
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

Drives: All the M's

I think a shake weight would make a great key retrofit.

Appreciate 5
      12-10-2016, 01:33 AM   #115
Mistertmac
Chief Warrant Officer
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 17 F82 ZCP,20 G06,24 G05 M60i

Garage List
Looks interesting, but, my wife has that exact key for her X6 With M Sport package, so we would have identical key-fobs, and that would be confusing at home on our phone table that we keep the key fobs on.
Also, because I have comfort access, I never even really take out my key fob while I'm away from home...cool discovery though.
2022 G01/X3 DG/TR M40i
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #116
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
Honestly, I don't go around showing my ridiculously, annoyingly big key fob to anybody. Who the hell would care?

I wish BMW would make the damn things MUCH smaller - I hate carrying needlessly bulky things in my pockets.

I just wish I could start the dang car with only the detachable, mechanical key. If I could, I'd just carry that around with me. -scr
+1

It would be cool if they made a credit card size device, like a work id, that you could carry in your wallet.
They do!!! At least Mazda does anyway!! Lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #117
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
So much negativity and salt in this thread. I thought I accidentally stepped inside democratic election night party.
      12-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #118
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: CBR1000RR

I don't believe this is possible just because spacing of the buttons are in the different spots
      12-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #119
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW M4

It's not about showing off it's about having something nice well engineered and well thought out...you don't buy an M car without thinking the guys at BMW with white coats on stopped at a key when it came to excellence...if all other cars makers did the same then ok but look below on what they engineer...the BMW key just doesn't have attention to detail it's more use the same key due costs...it's a kick in the teeth telling us we aren't special enough to warrant an exclusive well though out key to go with your near 100k car...[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
SeanWRT3179.00
psedog482.50
      12-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #120
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB M4 View Post
It's not about showing off it's about having something nice well engineered and well thought out...you don't buy an M car without thinking the guys at BMW with white coats on stopped at a key when it came to excellence...if all other cars makers did the same then ok but look below on what they engineer...the BMW key just doesn't have attention to detail it's more use the same key due costs...it's a kick in the teeth telling us we aren't special enough to warrant an exclusive well though out key to go with your near 100k car...[IMG][/IMG]
Lol.

The Painted porsche key are just painted caps over the dealer counter.

The AM key is a fancier Volvo Key for a upscale car.

Bentley cheapest car that gets that key is almost a quarter of a million.

This is actually the coolest AM key but its $34000

How about a gumpert apollo special edition key for $7000?

The AMG keys are the standard MB keys with swappable battery covers.

Tesla Key has similar features to the new 7 series key, but the key itself isn't that interesting.

Coolest key is the Huayra Key but car is almost $5Mand the key replacement is $15000

BMW group just has crap keys. Look at the Rolls Royce fobs:

At the end of the day you're talking about something that is in your pocket. Unless you're that guy that clips his keys to his belt loop or throws his keys up on the bar.

I don't expect a fancy key for a relatively inexpensive car.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #121
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW

I used to leave my key in the trunk since then I try to keep it in my pocket. Barely see it.

However, nice looking keyfob is good thing. You may not need to show off but you know it's nice. This is good for mind
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 02:07 AM   #122
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

To those who felt uncomfortable with my party expression:
1) It's an expression, period.
2) It's not about status or something, but instead my appreciation for well made products.

You buy a Lange and you expect no less than everything about it to be made to the highest quality level possible. That everything is more than just a well engineered and finished movement that the powers the thing. You will want all the little fine details on each component - the fit & finishing of casing, the handmade alligator strap and the gold/platinum buckle, to be paid the equally extensive attention to. If I buy a Datograpgh and find later my strap and buckle are inferior to some of the entry level Lange's (Say Saxonia 3 hander), I will ask the manufacturer to custom make one built to Saxonia spec and to fit Datograph - if manufacturer is not able to do that (which they are...), I will reach out to a 3rd party (ABP Paris maybe) for the job. And I did have manufacture custom made components on my Breguet. It isn't a Lange/Breguet pretending to be a Patek.

You buy MP parts from BMW for similar reason. Respect it or not, that's it.
      12-11-2016, 02:50 AM   #123
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Real badass
      12-11-2016, 03:33 AM   #124
DisonKlaud
internal combustion engine maniac
Rep

Drives: E90 325i F82 M4ZCP G82 M4C

Nice Job!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 04:12 AM   #125
Pennzoil
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
5 ///Ms met up at my friend's garage yesterday and my business was to upgrade my key to X5m razor one. The result is fantastic. After all these years, I finally have a key that I feel comfortable to show my friends in a party Absolutely cannot live with the old key once you hand on this one.

All it takes is 1) a retrofit X5M key (enclosure & electronics) and 2) a good welding job. No programming required.

This one is the range topping version of X5 razor key - 4 buttons chrome finished and 3-color M on the side. For comparison, you can also see the basic version from the last picture - black plastic button, w/ or w/o M on the side.

The green chip board was taken out of the old key's enclosure and the black one out of X5M's. The 2 chips, red marked in a side by side picture, are where the drivers' profiles/settings are saved. My man did a delicate welding job to transplant my chip to new chip board.

All the functions, lock/unlock, comfort access & mirror fold remote control & physical buttons, work perfectly. I used the search button but didn't find any such kind of retrofit threads here in the forum, but my man easily did it in 15 mins.

The razor key is similar in width and length to the original key, but only thinner so it better fits into pocket. I've attached side by side pictures below, including the comparison with w/ m performance key fob.

Let me know what you think.
Is it the same stuff?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 04:15 AM   #126
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Tell us more!
I took 3 layers of plexiglass and hollowed it out to fit the PCB. At first I tried to make it with the buttons, but that area of the plexi was too weak and kept cracking. I decided to remove the buttons all together (I have comfort access and don't use them anyway). I changed the battery to a 2032 which is about half the size as the original. Then I painted it, added the stickers, and clear coated the whole thing. I really need to get access to a 3D printer or a cnc machine to make it that much better.

I left room on the side to be able to add the physical key. Just haven't felt the need to do it yet. I have a few ideas to add buttons to the side (not the originals).
Make me one!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:34 AM   #127
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep

At least an option to paint it the same as your exterior colour
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #128
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
Quote:
Lol.

Tesla Key has similar features to the new 7 series key, but the key itself isn't that interesting.

Coolest key is the Huayra Key but car is almost $5Mand the key replacement is $15000

At the end of the day you're talking about something that is in your pocket. Unless you're that guy that clips his keys to his belt loop or throws his keys up on the bar.

You forgot these as well if we are going through keys
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:58 AM   #129
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
Quote:
Lol.

You forgot these as well if we are going through keys
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #130
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep

High end manufacturers understand people love amazing keys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #131
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
5 ///Ms met up at my friend's garage yesterday and my business was to upgrade my key to X5m razor one. The result is fantastic. After all these years, I finally have a key that I feel comfortable to show my friends in a party Absolutely cannot live with the old key once you hand on this one.

All it takes is 1) a retrofit X5M key (enclosure & electronics) and 2) a good welding job. No programming required.

This one is the range topping version of X5 razor key - 4 buttons chrome finished and 3-color M on the side. For comparison, you can also see the basic version from the last picture - black plastic button, w/ or w/o M on the side.

The green chip board was taken out of the old key's enclosure and the black one out of X5M's. The 2 chips, red marked in a side by side picture, are where the drivers' profiles/settings are saved. My man did a delicate welding job to transplant my chip to new chip board.

All the functions, lock/unlock, comfort access & mirror fold remote control & physical buttons, work perfectly. I used the search button but didn't find any such kind of retrofit threads here in the forum, but my man easily did it in 15 mins.

The razor key is similar in width and length to the original key, but only thinner so it better fits into pocket. I've attached side by side pictures below, including the comparison with w/ m performance key fob.

Let me know what you think.
Is it the same stuff?
No.

There are 3rd party good ones and there are mostly bad ones.
      12-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #132
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
I think we can all agree the F-Series keys are not very appealing. The E-Series fobs were at least slimmer.
Closed Thread