New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

12-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #89
GOLFFRR
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

How do you get the blank Key though? You can't just walk into a parts dept and buy a blank key to a x5 for example, it has to have a vin# attached to it? Just checked with our guys. All the keys are cut by BMW. they won't ship a key till you have proof of driver license, insurance proof, and proof of ownership. You can't just buy a blank key. I don't see how you can buy a blank key, you can't do it from a dealership for sure.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #90
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
How do you get the blank Key though? You can't just walk into a parts dept and buy a blank key to a x5 for example, it has to have a vin# attached to it? Just checked with our guys. All the keys are cut by BMW. they won't ship a key till you have proof of driver license, insurance proof, and proof of ownership. You can't just buy a blank key. I don't see how you can buy a blank key, you can't do it from a dealership for sure.
third party china copies on eBay
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10718.00
      12-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #91
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
+1

It would be cool if they made a credit card size device, like a work id, that you could carry in your wallet.
Benz did in the 90's
Appreciate 3
iatacs19456.50
Poochie9099.00
      12-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #92
GOLFFRR
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
third party china copies on eBay
I see so its not a real BMW key, gotcha. I was going to say its pretty much impossible to get a key from BMW unless you provide what I posted above.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #93
banff
Enthusiast
Rep

Drives: BMW

It can be a Vin'ed key. you are changing the chip so it does not matter. as for the blade, that can be swapped too.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #94
wontonbomb
Captain
Rep

Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It's a decoupling capacitor from DVCC to DGND. It's probably 0.1uF. I can't tell exactly the size but I think it's 0402 because the chip package is 5mm long per side in the datasheet.

Try this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...8-1-ND/4380283

The PCB layout and soldering looks somewhat poor, it might be a clone/knockoff.
Refreshing to read posts and threads like this. I run a electronic contract manufacturing business (plug: www.megaforcecorp.com) and we can perform this IC swap in our sleep
Appreciate 4
GRUESOM31092.00
Kash63.00
Scrape37.50
      12-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #95
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep

Drives: F30 MSport

Nice! However, if you sent your car to the dealer for service, give them the original spare so they won't go round looking for a different car. just kidding,...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #96
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportTune2 View Post
Nice! However, if you sent your car to the dealer for service, give them the original spare so they won't go round looking for a different car. just kidding,...
Thinking the same lol. Want one though
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #97
obliterate
Private
Rep

Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Man where did you find that strap????? TAOBAO????

LOOKS FANTASTIC!!! THAT'S EXACTLY THE STYLE THAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #98
chris719
Major General
Rep

Drives: '08 M Roadster

The antenna will not work very well through an aluminum enclosure unless it's designed as an antenna itself (see- iPhone).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:52 AM   #99
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
Hey everyone, this is just an idea but one that might spike some interest... I would be game to design and fabricate a custom all aluminum custom M housing for your older key fob board if there was enough interest via a group buy...

I currently design and fabricate high end iPad kiosk enclosures using premium aluminum as a solid mono block that is then milled to CAD specs then it is put through various finishing processes including a fine sandblast, followed by an anodized finish complete with high gloss bevels and laser engraved logos with an undercoat of oil based Enamel paint.

This is just an idea - the design could be the actual "M" itself as a solid profiled fob with buttons also made from aluminum. For this to even take off it would require about 300 unit minimum buy @ about $450 each. Actual CAD design and initial build prototype would be made if there is real interest.

An important consideration is old fob board design, are they all the same? If not having the M fobs to consolidate which will be supported and which will not is probably the first step to identify the series of M fobs to support into the CAD design... Anyhow this is more of an if folks are interested and if so I would gladly make a design everyone would want. Also thinking I can anodize using any PMS solid color code which would make customization a reality... Seeing how I am not a vendor this is more of a special projects opportunity if a vendor would like to serve a middle man thats fine with me as well...

See some works attached (will show you the material use and finish - this example is a new product I just finished and it uses the same Apple material and finish process so it looks and feels amazing).
I'd be down for something cool like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #100
clbmw
Major
Rep

Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
After all these years, I finally have a key that I feel comfortable to show my friends in a party Absolutely cannot live with the original key (in a picture below for comparison purpose) when you have handed on this one.
Sarcasm? I hope so.
Must be this kind of party...

[IMG]http://www.rssportscars.com/photos/n...ri-06-keys.jpg[/IMG]
Now the only thing to be potentially embarrassed about is who picks your key out of the bowl... hope she/he is a looker!

Although I'm not sure what the rules are on mocking one another at swingers' parties.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 02:37 AM   #101
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Guys, thank you all for the interest.

First of all, my intention of posting here is merely to share my joy of having a fantastic new key that I thought was OEM and the process how it's made, not trying to sell it whatsoever and be a vendor of any kind. The BMW dealer it's sourced from has a very limited supply of it so I am not able to help out many of you that's really interested.

Needless to say it's very helpful to hear you back. I checked yesterday with the dealer on the tiny hole that my key probably should've had but didn't and was told there're too many different variants of razor keys so he needs to check back with the manufacture.

A few hours back, the dealer manager contacted me and sent a few pictures, as I requested, of the keys (see below) of the X5 and X6 they have in the showroom at present, which apparently are different from each other -one with 3 chrome buttons & without ///M on the side, VS. the other one with 3 black plastic buttons & with ///M on the side, but a hole in the insert key is what they have in common. Both are 100% OEM coming with the car from BMW. The dealer also confirmed that a few variants of razor keys come without hole, though he cannot confirm if X5m is one of them. Both of us have no idea what that hole is for.

The other things the dealer manager told or implied, I am in no position to tell, but these, as following, are either my understanding or what I have high level of confidence in believing. Take it with a grain of salt though.
1) The retrofit key is not OEM, technically speaking. I shall and did correct it in the OP.
2) The retrofit key is made in China 100%, the same things can be said to OEM keys of X1/X3/3er/5er.
3) The retrofit X5M chip board (the black one shown in OP) is custom made to accommodate razor key enclosure and is dealing with 434 and 315 signal frequency, which is compatible with F8X & F3X, or all the 434/315 chips. BTW, frequency can be easily known by taking off insert key so you'll be able to see the number shown on top of the key.
4) The OEM X5/X6 chip board does NOT accommodate F8X and F3X chips, which means you won't be able to do the swap without using a retrofit chip board.
5) X5 OEM chip board directly fits retrofit X5M enclosure. This is useful when someone wants to upgrade from black plastic button/side without ///M to chrome aluminum button/side with ///M.
6) The buzz button on the retrofit key is a decorative only (though it clicks normally as a button), because F8X doesn't have buzz function to begin with.
7) Retrofit Insert Key is blank (see picture below with insert key off), can be modded to original key if needed.

That being said, I am still more than 100% satisfied with the retrofit, I'd definitely do it even if I knew all of the above from the beginning. The new key even clicks far better than OEM plastic and aluminum, which is clearly a good fit/quality indication. To say it's made to an equivalent quality standard to OEM key is definitely a understatement. I simply cannot live with the old key anymore. Moving forward, I will be retrofitting the key every time I have a new BMW.

BTW, for some of you who like my key chain, it's made IN HOUSE by my wife and is Sean exclusive
Attached Images

iatacs19456.50
      12-09-2016, 03:28 AM   #102
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Aluminum is the best conductive material for signal transparency as is the case with iPhone and apples laptops... same concept.
Sorry, but you are completely incorrect and do not understand how RF works. Go ahead and enclose the antenna in thick aluminum and let me know how it works ok?

Apple has spent a ton of money designing an enclosure that works as a part of the antenna system. Ever wonder what those lines are for, and why most other phones aren't metal or have "windows"?

If you put BMWs crappy PCB trace key fob antenna inside a 360 degree metal enclosure you are essentially creating a shield. It might still work if you're lucky and only severely reduce the distance it works at.

Last edited by chris719; 12-09-2016 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
fe7565528.50
      12-09-2016, 03:48 AM   #103
chris719
Major General
Rep

Aluminum is not transparent to 315MHz. Please go pick up a textbook.

Aluminum will attenuate the signal and probably detune the antenna to some degree. Will it still work? Maybe. But it's a bad idea.

Yes, plastic, glass, or ceramic would all be better. Wood, too.

You could probably still make it out of aluminum mostly without much impact if you don't cover the antenna.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 04:03 AM   #104
chris719
Major General
Rep

You are harming the signal strength I am sure. You just don't know how to measure it. Whatever, if people buy your stuff then cool, but don't spread misinformation. Aluminum is a good material for shielding in the real world.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 05:13 AM   #105
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
Israel
Rep

Drives: M4

This one will fit ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #106
HotTea69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 F32 AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Why are you not comfortable with showing the stock key to your friends? Is it embarrassing that an M car is sharing the same key as Non-M cars?
Different countries have different cultures. Status and image are extremely important in Asia. Don't sound ignorant

AWE Cat Back | BBS - LM | CF M Mirror Caps | CF M Trunk Spoiler | CF R-Style Rear Diffuser | ER Charge Pipe | ER Down Pipe | ER Front Mount Intercooler | Enzo Tuned | Injen SR Intake | M Front Grill
Appreciate 4
termigni1080.00
TheWoo8.50
      12-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #107
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok chris, when you get a chance checkout the new bmw keyfob and notice the large amount of alloy use in its design compared to the all plastic variant. Clearly the folks at bmw favors the new alloy wrapped one over an all plastic variant. It must work better and looks better too.

There is no misinformation from my part, I am basing my finds on my stock x6m fob and my tests.

I speak from my knowledge in aluminum as a medium. You put your fob in a tuna can and your results will vary greatly as that is not aluminum, big difference.

But your right wood and ceramic may work too.
You have no idea if the antenna design is any different on that PCB. Ferrous metals will be better for shielding magnetic fields but worse for an electric field. You have already demonstrated you have zero knowledge about the electrical properties of "aluminum as a medium".

You are completely clueless about electronics so just please stop.

Sorry if you think I damaged your idea to sell $450 signal attenuators.

Last edited by chris719; 12-09-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #108
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Why are you not comfortable with showing the stock key to your friends? Is it embarrassing that an M car is sharing the same key as Non-M cars?
No, not embarrassed but yes I spent good money the key should be special. It cheapens the experience. Like a great suit with horrible shoes. I buy my cars becuase i like speed and feel but I don't dislike the vanity aspect.
      12-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #109
banff
Enthusiast
Rep

anyone find a link on Ali or Tao for the keys?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #110
psedog
Captain
Rep

Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

Retrofitted mine to fit in my wallet earlier this year.
Attached Images