New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-26-2023, 08:49 AM   #1
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Ford Mavericks/F30 Giveaway/F36 Hand Down & Back In The E90

Step daughter had a baby boy about two months ago and needed a sedan to replace her 2013 Fiat 500 sport and her boyfriend has a Challenger. I gave her my 2012 F30 335i while I took her Fiat and sold it to Carvana. Loves the f30 and will be maintained by me (light maintenance) and my mechanic.

Since the F30 was my DD, my wife has been complaining that she doesn’t want the Wrangler being used to pull our 21 foot camper (dry weight 3100) anymore as it most likely surpasses its 3500 lbs limit. For over a year I’ve been secretly eyeing the Ford Mavericks and in late May I pulled the trigger on a 2022 XLT with the 4k tow package. Got the Carmax Maxcare warranty up to 150k miles and it’s the perfect balance IMHO. Handles more like a car due to being a unibody but pulls our camper with much ease than the Wrangler.

My son is entering his junior year of HS but has a chance to graduate this year for being in honors with a 3.80 GPA. The lil bastid needs wheels so I’m giving him my f36. He has been working all summer long but will stop so he can concentrate on his studies. Plans to go to Purdue for their Engineering program. With the f36 having 210k miles, I would most likely get $6k in the open market so IMHO, not worth selling to get a beater as beaters nowadays that need work are almost the value of my f36.

I’ve been driving BMW’s since December 1996 and couldn’t imagine life without one so I purchased my neighbors 2008 e90 335xi 6 speed with 158k miles on the clock. Sports package but has those undesirable 17’s so will be looking to upgrade soon.

Order banks for the Maverick opened up over a week ago so I pulled the trigger and ordered a 2024 Hybrid version from a dealer in MI with no deposit and no markups. With such high demand for the hybrids, there’s a chance mine won’t get built and could be rolled over for the 2025 orders. Still, if it does get built I might use it as a beater as with my promotion, I’ll be traveling into the office more frequently. Getting tired of always being home anyway.

Thoughts, both positive and negative feedback are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

I like the idea of the E90
Nice in MT as well....but
Needs MSport steering wheel and those 17s gotta go
😂
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You lost me...

You have a Maverick you bought used to tow, and are buying a 2nd Maverick new in 2025 as a hybrid?
Correct, have a Maverick with the 4k tow package and placed an order for the hybrid version for MY (model year) 2024. Still haven’t received a confirmation email from Ford as folks who never had a MY23 built should get first priority for MY24, hence why I believe the chances of mine getting built are slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
I like the idea of the E90
Nice in MT as well....but
Needs MSport steering wheel and those 17s gotta go
😂
Yeah might settle for style 230’s, 189/287 or style 313’s I had on my previous 09 335i/6. I would rotate DD’s between the e90 and the Maverick until (if) the hybrid arrives.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #4
VAcurler
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 21 F23 M240i MT + 09 e90 328i

FWIW, I placed an order for a stripped down hybrid in MY23 and got nothing. I rolled over the order to MY24 and got an email from Ford the same day.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      07-27-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

If my memory is correct the hybrid only has a 2k lb towing capacity. Also even the one with 4k really isn't the right vehicle for towing that camper. I thought about getting a Maverick as a replacement in my truck fleet but decided against it. I'll be buying a Nissan Frontier as it's setup better, 7k towing capacity and actually has a box frame. The tongue weight is what I'd be worried about with yours being a unibody.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 12:15 PM   #6
Shiza
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

I hate to be that guy but 4k towing capacity on the Maverick? X5's have a higher towing capacity. I agree the the comment above, that 3100 dry weight is dangerously close to the max capacity after you load the truck/trailer up with items for camping trip. Not to mention tongue weight. I'd recommend a taco or colorado for a little more towing/payload capacity. Good call not using the wrangler to tow anymore, I've personally blown a rear diff in one towing a small uhaul trailer.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 05:55 PM   #7
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAcurler View Post
FWIW, I placed an order for a stripped down hybrid in MY23 and got nothing. I rolled over the order to MY24 and got an email from Ford the same day.
Good for you and you deserve to get first priority. I still haven’t received an email yet but the dealer did call me a few days ago and confirmed that they submitted my order last week and claimed that Ford is moving ‘slow’ with the emails. We shall see if this is true or not as I’ve mentioned before, the Hybrids are in high demand and I could be rolled into MY25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
If my memory is correct the hybrid only has a 2k lb towing capacity. Also even the one with 4k really isn't the right vehicle for towing that camper. I thought about getting a Maverick as a replacement in my truck fleet but decided against it. I'll be buying a Nissan Frontier as it's setup better, 7k towing capacity and actually has a box frame. The tongue weight is what I'd be worried about with yours being a unibody.
Yes, hybrid is 2k lbs max but I wouldn’t be towing anything with it as it would be strictly used for commuting. So far since late May I’ve used the Maverick 4-5 times towing and I haven’t experienced any sway, lack of power or struggle. Tongue weight is about 13% so we’ll see how the drivetrain holds up within the warranty period and see if the engineers at Ford were right or full of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
I hate to be that guy but 4k towing capacity on the Maverick? X5's have a higher towing capacity. I agree the the comment above, that 3100 dry weight is dangerously close to the max capacity after you load the truck/trailer up with items for camping trip. Not to mention tongue weight. I'd recommend a taco or colorado for a little more towing/payload capacity. Good call not using the wrangler to tow anymore, I've personally blown a rear diff in one towing a small uhaul trailer.
I’ve looked at X5’s but wanted to try something different. I’m no stranger to Ford as many moons ago I had a 2013 Mustang and it served me well. Taco/Colo have gotten pretty big as I wanted to still maintain that car feel. Also as mentioned, we’ll see how the Maverick holds up towing this camper so time will tell. There have been some reports of higher mileage Mavericks towing near 4k with zero issues and some towing well above the recommended weight, also with zero issues but I’m not gonna be that naive.

Wrangler has a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain and other key components such as coolant/fuel/AC/electrical so didn’t want to overextend its towing capacity too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 11:57 PM   #8
Shiza
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I’ve looked at X5’s but wanted to try something different. I’m no stranger to Ford as many moons ago I had a 2013 Mustang and it served me well. Taco/Colo have gotten pretty big as I wanted to still maintain that car feel. Also as mentioned, we’ll see how the Maverick holds up towing this camper so time will tell. There have been some reports of higher mileage Mavericks towing near 4k with zero issues and some towing well above the recommended weight, also with zero issues but I’m not gonna be that naive.

Wrangler has a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain and other key components such as coolant/fuel/AC/electrical so didn’t want to overextend its towing capacity too much.
Hope you don’t run into any issues and the Maverick serves you well. I certainly get the appeal of it. Especially since as you mentioned the taco and similar class trucks are getting bigger and much more expensive than they used to be.
Appreciate 0