New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Closed Thread

01-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #5787
Activ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Black e92 335i

Argyll MX :: 2011 by Trevor Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #5788
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
nice
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #5789
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

that's pretty cool
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #5790
Activ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of getting more involved in motocross. Just need to pick up a zoom lens of sorts cause I used my kit 28-135 on my 7d
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #5791
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ View Post
Thanks guys, I'm thinking of getting more involved in motocross. Just need to pick up a zoom lens of sorts cause I used my kit 28-135 on my 7d
you might consider a 70-200 it's a great range for that sort of thing, especially on the crop body.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #5792
Activ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah thats what I'm going to look into after I sell my video camera ( sony fx1000) as I don't want to carry around anymore expensive equipment haha...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #5793
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah thats what I'm going to look into after I sell my video camera ( sony fx1000) as I don't want to carry around anymore expensive equipment haha...
the 4 stop image stabilizer with 2 modes is a real winning combo for what you're looking into.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #5794
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
now you need a 100 and a 400 comparo so we can see how much zoom it provides on a FF camera body

I'd offer to do it, but as you saw from my picture previously, i can't seem more then 100 feet with the snow at the moment.
I would have, but it was 11 degrees with the wind blowing 30-40mph. I got out of the car with full intentions of walking around and taking a few shots, but after standing outside for a few minutes, it was time to get on the road.

I volunteer myself to do this test in the future, though.

Quote:
Great shot, man. Love the processing, too. Definitely look into one of the 70-200 zooms for motocross. Or, if you want a prime lens, check out the Canon 200/2.8L. It's a great bargain for the price you can pick up a used one.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #5795
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
I would have, but it was 11 degrees with the wind blowing 30-40mph. I got out of the car with full intentions of walking around and taking a few shots, but after standing outside for a few minutes, it was time to get on the road.

I volunteer myself to do this test in the future, though.

Great shot, man. Love the processing, too. Definitely look into one of the 70-200 zooms for motocross. Or, if you want a prime lens, check out the Canon 200/2.8L. It's a great bargain for the price you can pick up a used one.
Another vote for the 70-200 with IS. I don't own one (yet), but IS is a lifesaver at longer ranges. I rented a 200mm f2.8L and had trouble holding the image still. Maybe someone with steadier hands wouldn't have an issue, but if you're hustling around trying to grab motocross images, you'll be breathing hard and will need all the IS help you can get.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #5796
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Nice shot, Matt. The guy who is the IT honcho there at Dickinson used be the IT guru at Univ. of Illinois School of Law. He's got a much nicer looking building to work in now.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #5797
Activ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the info! I will be looking into and trying out the 70-200 here pretty soon hopefully. I feel it would be a fun lens to shoot with as well since the kit isn't much fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #5798
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! I will be looking into and trying out the 70-200 here pretty soon hopefully. I feel it would be a fun lens to shoot with as well since the kit isn't much fun.
also, having the constant f-stop is a lifesaver when running back and forth for that kind of sports stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #5799
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: C6 ZO6

Got this today. I have been trying to get some good in flight pics for awhile and never had much luck. this guy came down pretty low to the bluff I was on so I was able to get sort of close with my 70-200. I still had to crop this pic out at 60%. I was fighting with the AF the entire time and never was able to tell if it was fully in focus. I need a longer lens and a fast AF system.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #5800
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Got this today. I have been trying to get some good in flight pics for awhile and never had much luck. this guy came down pretty low to the bluff I was on so I was able to get sort of close with my 70-200. I still had to crop this pic out at 60%. I was fighting with the AF the entire time and never was able to tell if it was fully in focus. I need a longer lens and a fast AF system.
Focus on the first one was very good, which I easily see by looking at the eye. The exposure was perfect, yielding great under-wing shadow detail.

The essentially the same image, but with direct light on the body and head in the first. I'd discard the second image and use the one with the eyelight, even though the bird is headed away from you slightly.

You need to be certain that your AF system isn't set for single-shot and was in tracking mode, if your camera body allows that. With a clear blue sky, like this, you can use multiple AF points. If the AF strays off the subject be sure to release the shutter or AF button so that the system doesn't focus on the background. You can't just hold the shutter release button half way down and expect the AF system to stay on the bird, unless you never let the AF-point off the subject, which is unlikely.

The 70-200mm is a great starter for bird, next is a 400mm, then finally, if your wallet can stand it, a 500mm or 600mm. The kind of shooting that you did here is what hooked me into birds and wildlife.

Dave
      01-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #5801
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ya the 2nd one was not my fav either but I figured I would post it. I did have it in AI servo but it kept back focusing and hunting. Honestly the T2i is not good with the AI servo I found and others say similiar. I used AI focus and one shot. The best results were with one shot center point selected. If I use the entire selection points in the AF selection point screen the camera just gets the focus wrong most of the time and can not get it unless the contrast is really good. I was told by a few people on the canon forums that center point is the best to use undless the camera has a really fast AF system like the 7D with all cross type points. Since the T2i only has the center point as cross type it is pointless to use all selection points or evaluative metering in most situations with moving targets. I was focusing on the Hawk then bumping the focus a few times to get it right. This only worked a few times to get it right. Next purchase was going to be a 7D but I am going to get the 100-400L for the reach, and then rent a 1.4 TC. I know they can degrade IQ and I have seen the result, but I also saw a guy yesterday post some amazing results with his 1.4 and 100-400. He said that once he stopped going all the way to max zoom and back it off a tad to 530mm instead of 560 the results were far sharper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Focus on the first one was very good, which I easily see by looking at the eye. The exposure was perfect, yielding great under-wing shadow detail.

The essentially the same image, but with direct light on the body and head in the first. I'd discard the second image and use the one with the eyelight, even though the bird is headed away from you slightly.

You need to be certain that your AF system isn't set for single-shot and was in tracking mode, if your camera body allows that. With a clear blue sky, like this, you can use multiple AF points. If the AF strays off the subject be sure to release the shutter or AF button so that the system doesn't focus on the background. You can't just hold the shutter release button half way down and expect the AF system to stay on the bird, unless you never let the AF-point off the subject, which is unlikely.

The 70-200mm is a great starter for bird, next is a 400mm, then finally, if your wallet can stand it, a 500mm or 600mm. The kind of shooting that you did here is what hooked me into birds and wildlife.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #5802
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Ya the 2nd one was not my fav either but I figured I would post it. I did have it in AI servo but it kept back focusing and hunting. Honestly the T2i is not good with the AI servo I found and others say similiar. I used AI focus and one shot. The best results were with one shot center point selected. If I use the entire selection points in the AF selection point screen the camera just gets the focus wrong most of the time and can not get it unless the contrast is really good. I was told by a few people on the canon forums that center point is the best to use undless the camera has a really fast AF system like the 7D with all cross type points. Since the T2i only has the center point as cross type it is pointless to use all selection points or evaluative metering in most situations with moving targets. I was focusing on the Hawk then bumping the focus a few times to get it right. This only worked a few times to get it right. Next purchase was going to be a 7D but I am going to get the 100-400L for the reach, and then rent a 1.4 TC. I know they can degrade IQ and I have seen the result, but I also saw a guy yesterday post some amazing results with his 1.4 and 100-400. He said that once he stopped going all the way to max zoom and back it off a tad to 530mm instead of 560 the results were far sharper.
I owned the 400mm f/5.6L before I bought my 500mm f/4L IS. The problem with the TC is that the AF will be slow to nil with it because f/5.6 is the limit of the 7D's AF system. Both the 100-400mm and the 400mm are great lenses, but you can't use a TC on them for anything that moves. I taped my contact points so that it'd try to focus, but gave up after a couple of outings.

I would, however, suggest that you buy a 1.4x TC and use it on your 70-200mm. When I go for wildlife and birds, I take the 7D with the 500mm and the 5D2 with the 70-200mm f/4L IS plus 1.4x TC mounted. I shoot anything too close with the 70-200/TC rig. If I need 700mm, then I move the TC over to the 7D/500mm combo. Since both my 70-200mm and 500mm are f/4, they respond "well" with the TC. "Well" doesn't mean fast, but I can AF on slow movers like hawks and eagles while hand holding the 500mm plus TC. Fast subjects, like most ducks and all pheasants I've encountered, mean working without a TC.

If, if your 70-200mm is a 2.8, then you can use the 2.0x TC on a 7D and I'd suggest buying both a 1.4x and a 2.0x, but get the Series II version of the 1.4x and the Series III version of the 2.0x, if you can afford it.

Dave
      01-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #5803
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think i am going to rent a 1.4 for this weekend first to see how i like it. I do not have a 7D and the T2i is already so slow that the TC may render the AF system useless even if it is still working. I was really hoping that the new 5D would be getting a dual digic 4 or 5 processor but it seems most info points to it sticking with one digic 5 at this point and having a slightly worse AF than the 7D. Sort of a bummer since I really wanted to have a cmaera with high ISO perf and a solid AF system. I think the 1Dx is reserved for that and I do not have 7k to spend on it...well i do, but I can not justify spending that much in my mind on a camera body. Well not yet, but maybe when I get a lot better, and have a real need for a PRO level camera.

Maybe I will take a 2nd out on my first home to get the 1Dx and 500mm.

Quote:
I owned the 400mm f/5.6L before I bought my 500mm f/4L IS. The problem with the TC is that the AF will be slow to nil with it because f/5.6 is the limit of the 7D's AF system. Both the 100-400mm and the 400mm are great lenses, but you can't use a TC on them for anything that moves. I taped my contact points so that it'd try to focus, but gave up after a couple of outings.

I would, however, suggest that you buy a 1.4x TC and use it on your 70-200mm. When I go for wildlife and birds, I take the 7D with the 500mm and the 5D2 with the 70-200mm f/4L IS plus 1.4x TC mounted. I shoot anything too close with the 70-200/TC rig. If I need 700mm, then I move the TC over to the 7D/500mm combo. Since both my 70-200mm and 500mm are f/4, they respond "well" with the TC. "Well" doesn't mean fast, but I can AF on slow movers like hawks and eagles while hand holding the 500mm plus TC. Fast subjects, like most ducks and all pheasants I've encountered, mean working without a TC.

If, if your 70-200mm is a 2.8, then you can use the 2.0x TC on a 7D and I'd suggest buying both a 1.4x and a 2.0x, but get the Series II version of the 1.4x and the Series III version of the 2.0x, if you can afford it.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #5804
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you're ready for the 7D. You can get away with using the outside focus points with lots of light, but there are not too many, so it almost defeats the purpose unless you're doing portrait work where you can get a subject to stay still (5DII has the same AF system)

The 7D can select multiple center points at once in a + shape to give you 5 points of interest yet still centered on the subject, or even a square of 9 points in the center. This is a great way to go for moving subjects. If you activate all focus points, it's just too many too get wrong on the 7D, so it's nice that you can choose groupings of focus points. I still tend to shoot center only, unless i'm going for a sporting environment.

Quote:

Dave
what's the deal with the series II and series III anyhow? I heard it was an extra coating on the II, but that was long ago right before they were released. I'm sure there's lots of new info on them now. What's your overall experience with the newer ones at this point? And how are you liking the changes?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #5805
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think i am going to rent a 1.4 for this weekend first to see how i like it. I do not have a 7D and the T2i is already so slow that the TC may render the AF system useless even if it is still working. I was really hoping that the new 5D would be getting a dual digic 4 or 5 processor but it seems most info points to it sticking with one digic 5 at this point and having a slightly worse AF than the 7D. Sort of a bummer since I really wanted to have a cmaera with high ISO perf and a solid AF system. I think the 1Dx is reserved for that and I do not have 7k to spend on it...well i do, but I can not justify spending that much in my mind on a camera body. Well not yet, but maybe when I get a lot better, and have a real need for a PRO level camera.

even if the new 5D comes with the same AF as the 60D it will be a major improvement on what exists now on the 5D. True, the 7D AF would be amazing on it. But at least some improvement is a great improvement Too early to tell still, I suspect we'll not know the truth until the first cameras are actually on the market. Canon doesn't want to show all it's cards to Nikon.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #5806
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:

Throw another two-grand in the budget because you'll want the 600mm with a full-frame body like the 1Dx.

The 7D is not bad at high-ISO, just not stupendous, like the 5D2. Here's a recent 7D shot at ISO 6400, processed with DxO Optics Pro 7.1 default settings:

Michelle checks for text message... by dcstep, on Flickr
      01-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #5807
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

True they do not want to show their hole card at all, but unless they have somthing really good in the works for the 5D or the 7D for improvements they are going to be left in the dust for their prosumer line. The D700 is an amazing camera, much better than the 5D in ISO and AF areas. the D800 is going to be a mini D3x, and Nikon is expected to be improving on the underlying models. My new friend at Samy's Camera who has been shooting Nikon for over 30 years said it tends to rade off like this. Nikon will be the top dog for a few years then canon because of their developement cycles. the 1Dx will be amazing, but nikon is saying some things about the D4 and is expected to show it in Sept just a few months after teh 1Dx launches in march or april. Those date from what I have read are not 100% set in stone. With all the issues in Japan they can get pushed back again. I hope Canon really steps up the 5D. It is a great camera but it is in need of some TLC.

Quote:
even if the new 5D comes with the same AF as the 60D it will be a major improvement on what exists now on the 5D. True, the 7D AF would be amazing on it. But at least some improvement is a great improvement Too early to tell still, I suspect we'll not know the truth until the first cameras are actually on the market. Canon doesn't want to show all it's cards to Nikon.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #5808
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:

what's the deal with the series II and series III anyhow? I heard it was an extra coating on the II, but that was long ago right before they were released. I'm sure there's lots of new info on them now. What's your overall experience with the newer ones at this point? And how are you liking the changes?
The new Series III TCs autofocus faster with the new Series II lenses. So, if you have a Series II lens, then you should get both TCs in the S-III version, if you can afford the $500 each toll. The 1.4x TC-II had excellent IQ and so does the III, but you won't gain in performance unless you have one of the new S-II lenses. The 2.0x TC-II had debatable IQ and there's broad agreement that the IQ of the TC-III is much improved. So, if you want a 2.0x, and care about IQ, then you'll buy the TC-III even though you won't gain the faster AF speed.

I only own a S-II 1.4x TC because none of my camera bodies will AF with apertures smaller than f/5.6 and I don't own any S-II lenses... yet. When they're readily available, I'll likely move up to a S-II 500mm or 600mm to gain the faster AF, 2-stop better IS and lighter weight.a At that point I'll buy the S-III 1.4x TC.

Dave